• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sony UBP-X800

I'll most likely continue to make an occasional purchase of a UHD disc (mostly the year's best blockbusters as they tend to be the ones that have the best demo material). I'll probably put one of the latest Oppos in the theater and I won't anticipate a new purchase for long, long time. I'll eventually have 4k and Atmos in the there and want the best possible playback. Throughout the rest of the home, convenience is king.

I'd like to know where I could buy some more SACDs. I've looked on Amazon but it confuses me.

I'd like to know where I could buy some more SACDs. I've looked on Amazon but it confuses me.
You are not alone!

Probably owing to the massive number of items for sale on Amazon, and the huge number of sellers / resellers besides Amazon itself, there's bound to be some confusing listings - title, description, reviews etc.

If I'm looking for a specific SACD on Amazon.com, unless all of the details in the listing clearly show that it's an SACD, then I don't buy. While it has never happened to me, if that listing said it was, but the delivered product was not, then I know it would be relatively easy to get my money back.

Adding to the confusion is that some SACD packaging itself can make little or no mention that it is an SACD. For example the packaging for the 2002 ABKCO Records reissue of a large number of Rolling Stones albums on SACD does not mention "SACD" at all. They say "DSD Remastered" instead. Just something one learns.

But here's the thing: you can start out doing Google searches for "SACD for sale" and "New SACD Releases" and "best SACDs" and... you get my drift. That will identify tons of discs - and sellers offering those discs. And in almost every case (in my experience) if you then, after those searches, plug specific album titles that you found, with "SACD" added to the search string, into Amazon.com's search bar, then you will likely find it listed, and listed for the best price - either by Amazon or its resellers. Sometimes just the title - and then clicking "any show all formats" link will get you there as well.

The other thing to keep in mind, is that since your new player handles them, you should also be looking for DVD-Audio. While they use different technology, in the end both SACD and DVD-Audio sound identically great. More often than not, a title was / is only released on one of the two formats. (Hotel California is a title that comes to mind - DVD-Audio only.) Hence the need for players that handle both formats.

Oh and try Blu-ray Audio as well. Searching for that will turn up movies as well, so narrow it by adding "pure audio" and "Audio" in the search string.

And of course, you can always ask us for recommendations / ask questions about specific titles. (I'm still working with one typing finger so am slower to respond than usual - for now.)

Jeff

I'm actually really torn about physical media vs digital. I wish there was something convincing to help me choose either or.

My library is divided between stuff on my own media server and Vudu (mostly UV/DMA licenses). In a way, I would prefer to have my entire library in physical form and ripped to my server. The reason I don't is cost. I can buy UV/DMA license keys for new releases for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a Blu-Ray disc. It also costs a few bucks to store a Blu-Ray on my NAS. Then there was the disc-to-digital program, which let me get HD copies of movies I owned on DVD for $2.50 each. That was VASTLY cheaper than repurchasing those movies on Blu-Ray (although less than half my collection was eligible).

It took me a long time to figure out how to rip Blu-Ray discs properly. I am thinking about making a five minute video on it that covers the software required and the process, which is as follows:
  • Download and install: MakeMKV, MKVToolNix, VLC Media Player (or something else that will play .mkv), LEAWO Blu-Ray Player (or any other Blu-Ray playback software you have) and Process Monitor (Windows Sysinternals). All of these are free. The LEAWO Blu-Ray Player kinda sucks, but it works for this task.
  • Put the Blu-Ray in the optical drive. Launch MakeMKV. Open the disc. If you see multiple "versions" of the main title, you will need to follow these steps to figure out which one is the right one.
    • Close Make MKV and launch your Blu-Ray player.
    • Navigate the menus until you get to the screen with the Play button, but do not select play yet.
    • Open the Process Monitor. Set the filter to "Path contains MPSL" and turn on Capture.
    • Select Play on the Blu-Ray menu and watch the process monitor. I will tell you which title is playing. That is the one you want.
    • Close the Blu-Ray Player and launch MakeMKV
  • Un-select everything except the title you want
  • Expand the chosen title. Pick the soundtrack and subtitles you want. There may be multiple sets of subtitles, particularly if one set is "forced" (subs that come on when someone speaks a foreign language. Keep in mind that it may simply list a set of subs for every soundtrack. Yes, this can be a pain.
  • Once you select everything, rip the movie.
  • Open the resulting .mkv file in VLC. If there are any scenes with forced subs, find them. If the subs don't come up, select from the available subs until you find the set that only shows up when the foreign language is being spoken. Note which set it is.
  • Close VLC
  • If the forced subs are not working
    • Launch MKVToolsNix
    • Select the Header tab
    • Open the .mkv
    • Navigate to the correct subtitle
    • Click on the Forced property in the left pane
    • Turn Forced on in the right pane
    • Save
    • Exit
If you want a bit-perfect 1:1 Blu-Ray rip, you are done. If you want to compress it, I recommend Handbrake.

You are not alone!

Probably owing to the massive number of items for sale on Amazon, and the huge number of sellers / resellers besides Amazon itself, there's bound to be some confusing listings - title, description, reviews etc.

If I'm looking for a specific SACD on Amazon.com, unless all of the details in the listing clearly show that it's an SACD, then I don't buy. While it has never happened to me, if that listing said it was, but the delivered product was not, then I know it would be relatively easy to get my money back.

Adding to the confusion is that some SACD packaging itself can make little or no mention that it is an SACD. For example the packaging for the 2002 ABKCO Records reissue of a large number of Rolling Stones albums on SACD does not mention "SACD" at all. They say "DSD Remastered" instead. Just something one learns.

But here's the thing: you can start out doing Google searches for "SACD for sale" and "New SACD Releases" and "best SACDs" and... you get my drift. That will identify tons of discs - and sellers offering those discs. And in almost every case (in my experience) if you then, after those searches, plug specific album titles that you found, with "SACD" added to the search string, into Amazon.com's search bar, then you will likely find it listed, and listed for the best price - either by Amazon or its resellers. Sometimes just the title - and then clicking "any show all formats" link will get you there as well.

The other thing to keep in mind, is that since your new player handles them, you should also be looking for DVD-Audio. While they use different technology, in the end both SACD and DVD-Audio sound identically great. More often than not, a title was / is only released on one of the two formats. (Hotel California is a title that comes to mind - DVD-Audio only.) Hence the need for players that handle both formats.

Oh and try Blu-ray Audio as well. Searching for that will turn up movies as well, so narrow it by adding "pure audio" and "Audio" in the search string.

And of course, you can always ask us for recommendations / ask questions about specific titles. (I'm still working with one typing finger so am slower to respond than usual - for now.)

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff!

My library is divided between stuff on my own media server and Vudu (mostly UV/DMA licenses). In a way, I would prefer to have my entire library in physical form and ripped to my server. The reason I don't is cost. I can buy UV/DMA license keys for new releases for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a Blu-Ray disc. It also costs a few bucks to store a Blu-Ray on my NAS. Then there was the disc-to-digital program, which let me get HD copies of movies I owned on DVD for $2.50 each. That was VASTLY cheaper than repurchasing those movies on Blu-Ray (although less than half my collection was eligible).

It took me a long time to figure out how to rip Blu-Ray discs properly. I am thinking about making a five minute video on it that covers the software required and the process, which is as follows:
  • Download and install: MakeMKV, MKVToolNix, VLC Media Player (or something else that will play .mkv), LEAWO Blu-Ray Player (or any other Blu-Ray playback software you have) and Process Monitor (Windows Sysinternals). All of these are free. The LEAWO Blu-Ray Player kinda sucks, but it works for this task.
  • Put the Blu-Ray in the optical drive. Launch MakeMKV. Open the disc. If you see multiple "versions" of the main title, you will need to follow these steps to figure out which one is the right one.
    • Navigate the menus until you get to the screen with the Play button, but do not select play yet.
    • Open the Process Monitor. Set the filter to "Path contains MPSL" and turn on Capture.
    • Select Play on the Blu-Ray menu and watch the process monitor. I will tell you which title is playing. That is the one you want.
  • Expand the chosen title. Pick the soundtrack and subtitles you want. There may be multiple sets of subtitles, particularly if one set is "forced" (subs that come on when someone speaks a foreign language. Keep in mind that it may simply list a set of subs for every soundtrack. Yes, this can be a pain.
  • Open the resulting .mkv file in VLC. If there are any scenes with forced subs, find them. If the subs don't come up, select from the available subs until you find the set that only shows up when the foreign language is being spoken. Note which set it is.
  • Close VLC
    • Launch MKVToolsNix
    • Select the Header tab
    • Open the .mkv
    • Save
    • Exit
If you want a bit-perfect 1:1 Blu-Ray rip, you are done. If you want to compress it, I recommend Handbrake.

Thanks for the info, Haywood

• Close VLC
    • Launch MKVToolsNix
    • Select the Header tab
    • Open the .mkv
    • Save
    • Exit
The only problem is that his brand new Sony player, like all of my Sony players as well, cannot stream .mkv. (The manual says "may not" - but it practice it's more likely cannot.) And while my older players can handle DTS 5.1 fairly well (but freeze with most DTS MA 7.1) his eschews all DTS streaming - which will need to be taken into account when ripping.

.mp4 is, in my experience, the most reliable problem-free file type to use for streaming.

Jeff

The only problem is that his brand new Sony player, like all of my Sony players as well, cannot stream .mkv. (The manual says "may not" - but it practice it's more likely cannot.) And while my older players can handle DTS 5.1 fairly well (but freeze with most DTS MA 7.1) his eschews all DTS streaming - which will need to be taken into account when ripping.

.mp4 is, in my experience, the most reliable problem-free file type to use for streaming.

Jeff

The reason it says, "May not" is that .mkv is not a codec. It is a container. The codec in the container may be MP4, but it could also be VC-1, VC-9 or one of several other formats. Whether or not it will play depends on what is in the container. The method I described above leaves the movie in whatever codec it was encoded in on the Blu-Ray. All MakeMKV does is extract the Title you select (with the audio and subtitles you choose), remove the DRM and stick it in an mkv container. If you want to transcode that to a different format, you need to use something like Handbrake. I simply use a client in my main system that can directly play pretty much anything and use a pretty beefy server to transcode content for the other clients (Roku, Android TV, Android, iOS, FireTV, etc.).

The great strength of Plex is its ability to transcode anything to whatever format the client can accept and to adjust to bandwidth constraints on the fly, including constraints to upload speeds while balancing the quality of multiple streams. Unfortunately, that can take a lot of CPU power.

I would be curious how the streaming content player works. I am really considering upgrading my BluRay players and doing away with my Roku boxes at the same time.

So I signed into Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and Vudu on the X800. No issues except HDR isn't on Amazon yet. It does 4k on Amazon just fine. HDR works on Netflix and Vudu. If you have questions about the streaming let me know.

Should I use original resolution, auto, or 4K for my video settings? My TV is 4K with HDR. I was thinking original resolution and let the TV do the scaling, but wasn't sure if that's best or if it matters.

FYI Breast Buy Canada's Boxing Day sale has the Sony UBP-X800 on sale for $199C (~$154US).

In practical terms, the only thing I would gain by replacing an existing Sony player with this one, is the ability to stream DSD files and to play DVD-A. (I don't have a 4k TV yet.) I only have a few of the latter, but I'm somewhat intrigued by the possibility of the former, especially since that supposedly would include the ability to stream multichannel DSD.

Hmmm... I think I need to re-read that owner's manual again.

Jeff

ps. Xgm3: any additional thoughts, issues, highlights, limitations, etc. now that you have more experience with this unit? Have you tried streaming a variety of content?

Huh, didn't even know there was a thread for this player. There's another thread down in the misc section where a bunch of us have bought this player as well. And I did see it was back down to $150 at Best Buy. It's a good player, although I haven't played any multi channel audio through it yet. My DVD-A of Love by the Beatles is missing.

Huh, didn't even know there was a thread for this player. There's another thread down in the misc section where a bunch of us have bought this player as well. And I did see it was back down to $150 at Best Buy. It's a good player, although I haven't played any multi channel audio through it yet. My DVD-A of Love by the Beatles is missing.
Great find Rob. Wish I saw this before I spent days researching players. Guess I came to the same conclusion as xg did.

Great find Rob. Wish I saw this before I spent days researching players. Guess I came to the same conclusion as xg did.
It was Mackwood that bumped it up, wish I would have known it was here as well. Either way, still extremely happy with this purchase.

While I bumped it largely to solicit Xgm3's experience as a user for several months, please feel free to add your own comments.

As you can see from the comments I have posted throughout this thread, I'm very interested in the player's real-world streaming capabilities / limitations.

Jeff

While I bumped it largely to solicit Xgm3's experience as a user for several months, please feel free to add your own comments.

As you can see from the comments I have posted throughout this thread, I'm very interested in the player's real-world streaming capabilities / limitations.

Jeff
The only stuff I've streamed is Netflix and Amazon Prime, but nothing from a home based server. I did try a samsung player, but GUI seemed more clunky and you had to download the apps, they didn't come preinstalled. At $150 US, that's a pretty good deal on a rock solid UHD bluray player.

Back