• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sony UBP-X800

I wouldn’t expect it to be dramatically different but I suspect that your TV is down-mixing the audio signal.

Just saw your update and I’m out of ideas. Netflix should only be putting out 5.1.

I wouldn’t expect it to be dramatically different but I suspect that your TV is down-mixing the audio signal.

Just saw your update and I’m out of ideas. Netflix should only be putting out 5.1.
The best way to describe it is a lack of dynamics when listening through the TV/optical out. The signal from netflix is 5.1, I change my pre/pro 2.0 stereo.

I obviously can't know exactly why, but having your TV as the middleman is the reason. It's doing something non-kosher to the signal.

Why not be happy with the better direct signal from X800 to pre/pro?

Jeff

I obviously can't know exactly why, but having your TV as the middleman is the reason. It's doing something non-kosher to the signal.

Why not be happy with the better direct signal from X800 to pre/pro?

Jeff
Because I'm crazy, I have to know what's happening to my signal inside that tv. Makes me batty!

Does anybody know if and how to add HBO GO app to this player?
See page 14 of owner's manual. It looks like only Apps that show up under [All Apps] are available.

And from what I'm seeing, it's a pretty thin list!

Jeff

I imagine that Sony isn’t real keen on allowing apps that directly compete with their own streaming services.

Maybe we need Device Neutrality regulation.

That's odd that they would have a player that plays most of the audio formats, but doesn't allow for all of the streaming services. Not the end of the world by any means, but it would be nice to see some of HBO's shows in 4K. I guess the other option is to see if I can add it on the smartcast app of the tv.

Mine came yesterday and set-up was the usual breeze.

It will take me a few days to properly check out its features, but so far, other than the addition of DVD-A, I've noticed a few things:

1. I am able to stream a .mkv file (containing a 1080p video / DD 5.1 audio) from my server - even though the owner's manual contains a note that says "The player may not play this file format on a Home Network server." My previous generation Sony BD player wouldn't even "see" the file on my server. It also successfully streamed a similar file, but one with DTS MA 7.1 sound. The owner's manual makes no mention of DTS being playable when it comes to .mkv. So that's a big plus / bonus that it does. Additionally I loaded a DTS MA 7.1 encoded file onto a USB stick and played it without issue; the previous generation Sony would almost always freeze solid on those.

2. Given that this is a 4k-capable BD player, and even though I only have it connected to a 1080p display, I decided to download and see what it would do with a 2160p movie from a USB stick. Well it worked perfectly - downconverting the movie to 1080p/24 Hz (there was a pause of a few seconds at launch while it got set up for that mode.) The file I was playing had two audio tracks: DTS-X7.1 and DD5.1. The DTS did not play - but I suspect that's because my Pioneer receiver does not have that capability. The DD track worked perfectly. I'm now going to load that file onto my server and see if it will stream.

3. The previous generation Sony had a rudimentary internet browser built in. While pretty primitive, it did come in handy once and a while. As mentioned before, there was no mention of this in the X800 owner's manual (which I read many times before purchase). I can't find any built in / menu item for it. Will have to see if it appears in a future firmware upgrade.

4. I have a selection of DVD-Audio-R discs that play perfectly well on a much older Oppo DVD player, but which are "Not Playable" on the new Sony. Lunchbag letdown!

5. Nice little feature is being able to load an App as the "Favorite" on the remote control. (There's already one dedicated to Netflix.) From the very limited App selection I chose YouTube.

6. Overall the look and feel of the GUI is improved over previous Sony models. Stuff loads much faster and is somewhat more user-friendly.

Jeff

Jeff try running a coax out cable as well. Thats the only way I can get one of my DVD-audio disc to play. It's the only one I have that won't play via HDMI TO TV then optical out to my pre/pro. Not sure if it's a Auido R disc, I'm not home. It's the Queen Game DVD-audio disc.

When I view Hulu using the app on the Sony 800 the user interface is in the old style format that I much prefer.

Jeff try running a coax out cable as well. Thats the only way I can get one of my DVD-audio disc to play. It's the only one I have that won't play via HDMI TO TV then optical out to my pre/pro. Not sure if it's a Auido R disc, I'm not home. It's the Queen Game DVD-audio disc.
Dent,

Thanks. I'm not having trouble playing original DVD-Audio discs (through HDMI), it's only the backup copies of those discs (DVD-Audio-R - as I call them) that are not being recognized by the player. It's just strange that they'll play on the older Oppo and not the new Sony.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
I can confirm that the X800 has no problem playing DSD (SACD) files from USB stick - both the DSF (.dsf) and DSDIFF (.dff) codecs, in both 2.0 and 5.1. While the manual says that it may not play these from a home server, I was able to play a DSF file without problem. Put a check mark in the plus column!

Dent,

Thanks. I'm not having trouble playing original DVD-Audio discs (through HDMI), it's only the backup copies of those discs (DVD-Audio-R - as I call them) that are not being recognized by the player. It's just strange that they'll play on the older Oppo and not the new Sony.

Jeff
Oh ok.
That is strange.

By the by, I'm impressed enough by the X800 that I decided to order another (same great price as the first one) - for use in my main HT. (The first one is in the family room HT.) The deciding factor was its ability to play (USB) and stream (home server) files that the older Sonys could not.

Twice this week, and once before when I first got this unit, an update services button has appeared at the top right next to the settings button. When I click on it, it goes through a 3 step process and then fails when it says it cannot connect to server. No problems with the internet because I can stream Netflix and others, so it must be on Sony's end. Anybody else experiencing this?

I noticed that button a couple of days ago, seems to have done what it was supposed to, no error message.

Wonder why mine is so buggy then. Everything else works as it should, so I guess I really can't complain.

I havnt noticed that button. Does it show up when using the streaming apps? That's pretty much all I use at this point.

Back