• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Speakers for 2 Channel Setup

mzpro5

Famous
Continuing to plan and need some thoughts on speakers for what will be my 2 channel listening area.

I will be setting it up this weekend (hopefully) and will initially just use an extra pair of BIC America bookshelf speakers i have. The power in the unit will be the Outlaw RR2150. I will have an older Technics linear tracking turntable and a Sony CDP 545 5disc CD player hooked up.

When I get ready to upgrade the speakers (though the BICs may sound pretty good, have never used them in a 2 channel setup) are bookshelf or floor standing preferable for 2 channel? Other things I need to consider?

I want to keep the budget at $700-800 for the pair so any brand/model suggestions?

I see no mention of the word "subwoofer" or the term "2.1" so if that's the case, I would highly recommend floor standers as bookshelves may sound rather anemic without a sub. However, your budget may throw a wrench into the mix unless you'd consider used...a pair of Paradigm 60 v.3, perhaps?

Zing said:
I see no mention of the word "subwoofer" or the term "2.1" so if that's the case, I would highly recommend floor standers as bookshelves may sound rather anemic without a sub. However, your budget may throw a wrench into the mix unless you'd consider used...a pair of Paradigm 60 v.3, perhaps?
Brain fart, yes there will be a sub in the system so it is 2.1

I was looking at these

Polk Audio TSi400 Floorstanding Speaker

And yes used Paradigm 60 v.3 is a real consideration if you know someone that has a pair at the right price.

Since you've currently got a great set of speakers in your MTS towers, why not use that system? I'm sure I'm missing something, so forgive me AND humor me, please.

Zing said:
Since you've currently got a great set of speakers in your MTS towers, why not use that system? I'm sure I'm missing something, so forgive me AND humor me, please.
Those will be part of the 5.1 HT system in the basement.

Is there something about the basement you don't like? Because you can push a little button on your controller and make sound come out of just 2 speakers and the sub - voila - 2-channel listening pleasure. And if you pay close attention to what you're hearing - voila - critical listening.

My point is, you already have a $2K set of speakers that are no slouches but you're trying to set up another system for critical listening without spending more than $700?

As I said, I'm obviously missing something. Did you mention this in another thread that I may have missed?

$608 delivered to your door

340se_lt_ng_hr.jpg

I've heard these and they're awesome, especially for the price.

:text-link:

Zing said:
Is there something about the basement you don't like? Because you can push a little button on your controller and make sound come out of just 2 speakers and the sub - voila - 2-channel listening pleasure. And if you pay close attention to what you're hearing - voila - critical listening.

My point is, you already have a $2K set of speakers that are no slouches but you're trying to set up another system for critical listening without spending more than $700?

As I said, I'm obviously missing something. Did you mention this in another thread that I may have missed?

I would like something upstairs, I guess you could say similar to a study where I can read and study while listening.and a place where my friends and i can sit, listen and converse.

i will admit that perhaps I am a bit pretentious, now that I have the room to do it.

And I am willing to accept that my budget is too low, that can be worked with. Will just take a bit longer to get to the final product.

I tell you Jeff, I got a pair of these....

KlipschTwoWith2Lamps_1460.jpg

....and I've never thought about "upgrading" again. Watch you local Craigslist for "KLIPSCH" speakers and see what comes up. You really can't go wrong with Klipsch Heritage Speakers.

Just a thought,

Dennie

Also, I am a pretty big Polk fan, but I would skip the TSi line. You could find some nice used LSi speakers in that price range. Maybe even LSi 25s.

Zing said:
$608 delivered to your door

340se_lt_ng_hr.jpg

I've heard these and they're awesome, especially for the price.

:text-link:

Those are very attractive. Will do some thinking on that.

And Andy and Dennie thanks for the suggestion about used. In the middle of a work project right now but will check out Craig's List later.

Make sure to audition any horn speakers (Klipsch) before buying anything blind.
I did a lot of careful auditioning before buying my first set of stereo speakers ("Large" Advents, summer of 1979) and I had compared them to everything, including K's, Bose 901's, and a pair of electrostatics (which, as a college student, I couldn't've afforded anyway). I preferred the Advents over them all, and the K's just didn't sound right to my ears.
It was just 3 years ago that I started auditioning speakers carefully again (when I met you guys!) to set up my first 5.1 system. One salon I visited sat me down in front of a wall of speakers, and they insisted on me listening to them all without being told which ones were playing. I liked this! When they connected the Klipsch's, I immediately said "Ick, are those the Klipsch's??" The salesman laughed and said, "Yeah, they're like cilantro, you either love them or hate them!"
That was what, 30 years later?! I'll be the first to admit that a huge percentage of audiophiles love Klipsch's, but they just don't work for my ears. And I've listened to and played thru horn speakers for decades as a live musician/live fan.

The reason I didn't care for the electrostatics, and still don't, is that you can shift your head just a few inches away from the Sweet Spot and they sound very different; however, someone (can't remember who) brought a nice set to Bat's GTG last summer, and I had a chance to listen to classical music through them. WOW!! If I were more of a classical fan I'd consider a set.

The ideal pair of speakers in your price range, with some left over to buy me some wine, are a 33-year-old pair of Advents in my basement.
But they're not for sale, sorry! :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered: (they still sound fantastic to my ears, and compared favorably to my Tannoy Reveals that I bought for my studio ten years ago or so).

Those were TitaniumTroy's magnepans, don't recall their specific model number, but I agree, I enjoyed those a lot; and if I had a big open room, and no cats to climb/scratch them, I'd consider them seriously as well. They seem to need some space, and/or very serious acoustic treatment - mainly diffusion, as we've seen in some of vinyl's room pics.

Zing said:

You know something I don't ? I am in the market for a good pair of paradigm speakers for my bonus room. serious

Maximo said:
Zing said:

You know something I don't ? I am in the market for a good pair of paradigm speakers for my bonus room. serious
Hey I said I'd be interested at the right price. :teasing-neener:

mzpro5 said:
And yes used Paradigm 60 v.3 is a real consideration if you know someone that has a pair at the right price.

Back