• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Speakers for 2 Channel Setup

Zing said:
AndySTL said:
Give some thought to those Polk A9s at Newegg. Those are great speakers and that's a huge discount.
So good and so huge, they're now sold out.

Still available in black. Although I think the cherry finish is much better looking.

AndySTL said:
mzpro5 said:
Thanks everyone, looks like I have a decision to make.

Still waiting to hear back on those NHT speakers that were on Craig's List.

I think the asking price was on the high side. Looks like those speakers retailed for $1k years ago. Maybe the seller is flexible.

Give some thought to those Polk A9s at Newegg. Those are great speakers and that's a huge discount. Go over to Club Polk and read about them if they interest you.

I would love to, even in black. But because of the way I budget my funds I cannot purchase anything until this coming Friday at the earliest.

Finally decided to do something with the Outlaw 2150 even if only temporary. It has been sitting unpacked for weeks while I waited for my bro to pick up the dining room table. Got tired of waiting so threw together a temp setup.

All I can say is WOW. Cannot remember music sounding so good. Using the big SVS towers for now, they will eventually be in the HT downstairs. Also got some BIC bookshelves on the B hookup for comparison.

Zing wanted to know why I wanted a dedicated 2.1 channel setup for music, wish he was here to "hear" the answer.

Just have a CD player hooked up, when I get the permanent setup my old Technics linear tracking turntable will be added.

abe86ab78a9b8cf1bfbb710a8ffb95c2.jpg

a7048f7e972e28e436508879df9a5dae.jpg

What's the background on your Outlaw? Did you recently get this? If not, what were you using with it in the old house?

AndySTL said:
What's the background on your Outlaw? Did you recently get this? If not, what were you using with it in the old house?

Recently bought the Outlaw. It was on sale 6-8 weeks ago and knowing I would be able to have a dedicated 2 channel music space I bought one. Though I have had it for close to two months just unpacked it today.

The SVS towers sound great but still have to look for speakers for this setup as by Christmas the towers will be in the basement HT.

Jeff,
Are doing 2.1? I know you aren't going to use the svs speakers on a permanent basis, but do me a favor and try running them full range and pull the plugs out of the ports if you are using them. I find that with 90%+ of music that a sub is overkill, and most music sounds better with the bass coming from the speakers. Either way congrats on putting together a music only system. I have contemplated doing just that with B&W's, just haven't found the right spot yet.

BTW, do you feel the Outlaw is more musical than your previous receivers?

Cool! Now you've got a dining room that'll appeal to WardsWeb. :laughing:

Huey said:
Jeff,
Are doing 2.1? I know you aren't going to use the svs speakers on a permanent basis, but do me a favor and try running them full range and pull the plugs out of the ports if you are using them. I find that with 90%+ of music that a sub is overkill, and most music sounds better with the bass coming from the speakers. Either way congrats on putting together a music only system. I have contemplated doing just that with B&W's, just haven't found the right spot yet.

I have been playing around with 2 vs 2.1. The BIC sub I am using is not that good so for right now it is 2.0. After initially trying the plugs when I first got the SVS I I have run them without the plugs.

And definitively the 2150 has a more musical sound. Everything is connected via analog no digital optical or coax. Very good sound stage. Everything I expected.

mzpro5 said:
Huey said:
Jeff,

I have been playing around with 2 vs 2.1. The BIC sub I am using is not that good so for right now it is 2.0. After initially trying the plugs when I first got the SVS I I have run them without the plugs.

And definitively the 2150 has a more musical sound. Everything is connected via analog no digital optical or coax. Very good sound stage. Everything I expected.

The problem with that, is that the source is the dac and not the receiver, which isn't really a problem, although the Outlaw will probably have just as good dac, if not better than the source component. Not a big deal either way, but I would try a digital connection just for ease of setup. Have fun!

Huey said:
mzpro5 said:
Huey said:
Jeff,

The problem with that, is that the source is the dac and not the receiver, which isn't really a problem, although the Outlaw will probably have just as good dac, if not better than the source component. Not a big deal either way, but I would try a digital connection just for ease of setup. Have fun!

I think you misunderstood, the Outlaw has no digital inputs except for aUSB connection to connect a computer.

EDIT: here is a fairly technical review I found from 2008.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/...o-receiver-sample-2-measurements-january-2008

CMonster said:
Huey said:
The outlaw has no digital inputs, except for a usb port?

(click image for larger version)

Thanks for the image cmonster. I'm surprised that there isn't at least a couple of coax digital connections, guess they wanted to keep it "old school"!

Back