• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Star Wars ep. VII ... Who's Hyped?

There there Flint. You need a hug? I mean I'll give you a hug and not make it strange.........much.

Flint said:
There you go! 28% over that crazy huge number I took so much heat for mentioning.

It did 28% over 11 billion? Because that's the number I had a problem.

Huey said:
Flint said:
There you go! 28% over that crazy huge number I took so much heat for mentioning.

It'll do over $11B in 2016 given the rate it is going now. But, yes, that is what the franchise has to do in 2016.

MatthewB said:
There there Flint. You need a hug? I mean I'll give you a hug and not make it strange.........much.

Matt, I've been wanting a hug from you ever since we released our last hug. Why, WHY do we have to live so far apart?

Flint said:
Huey said:
Flint said:

It'll do over $11B in 2016 given the rate it is going now. But, yes, that is what the franchise has to do in 2016.

Wait, we talking franchise or movie, because in your original post, you said this MOVIE needed to 11 billion, not the franchise as a whole.

Huey said:
Wait, we talking franchise or movie, because in your original post, you said this MOVIE needed to 11 billion, not the franchise as a whole.

I guess I wasn't clear enough, this is what I originally wrote which started the debate:

Apparently this movie needs to gross over $1B in ticket sales
before the end of the year AND generate over $10B in sales
next year just to justify the investment Disney has put into it
(cost of movie, buying Lucasfilm, advertising, etc.).

I clearly wrote "ticket sales" for the $1B number and the $10B number was "sales". I realize that isn't perfectly clear now, but I thought it was when I posted it.

Point being, the investment Disney made was extremely risky. They were betting on one film to make it work out, because all of the follow on films were years out. If the first film didn't blow records up, the subsequent projects would be "meh" and not return well enough for the strategic goals of the investment. Fortunately, JJ Abrams is friggin' genius of this genre and is now the poster child for a rain maker in Hollywood.

And to think ... JJ almost turned down the opportunity. In a recent interview he's reported to have come dangerously close to saying no because he didn't want to be "that guy who makes sequels".

Well this movie (TFA) is well on its way to eventually surpassing Avatar (Really??) and own every meaningful box office record. The question for me is what will the total BO take be? $3B, $3.5B, $4.5B? I doubt it'll hit $4.5B but you never know. It's damn close to catching Avatars TOTAL domestic BO after 14 days and Avatar had a 238 day run. So when will this movies momentum subside? This is the possible perfect storm of genre/franchise/good review formula needed to generate all the repeat viewing and word of mouth to shatter records. I've seen it twice and plan to take the kids back at least one more time at IMAX....and I'm not even a Star Wars fanboy. Not like Batman anyway when I saw each movie in The Dark Knight trilogy at least 6-7 times in the theater. But that is what fanboys do and that really pumps up BO numbers.

Batman said:
Well this movie (TFA) is well on its way to eventually surpassing Avatar (Really??) and own every meaningful box office record. The question for me is what will the total BO take be? $3B, $3.5B, $4.5B? I doubt it'll hit $4.5B but you never know. It's damn close to catching Avatars TOTAL domestic BO after 14 days and Avatar had a 238 day run. So when will this movies momentum subside? This is the possible perfect storm of genre/franchise/good review formula needed to generate all the repeat viewing and word of mouth to shatter records. I've seen it twice and plan to take the kids back at least one more time at IMAX....and I'm not even a Star Wars fanboy. Not like Batman anyway when I saw each movie in The Dark Knight trilogy at least 6-7 times in the theater. But that is what fanboys do and that really pumps up BO numbers.

Don't forget it hasn't opened in China yet. It broke all the records without participating the largest market (in terms of numbers, not dollars).

Towen7 said:
And to think ... JJ almost turned down the opportunity. In a recent interview he's reported to have come dangerously close to saying no because he didn't want to be "that guy who makes sequels".

Didn't he do the last two-three Star Treks?? If so, too late...he's "that guy".

FWIW, I liked the newer Star Treks too.

Can't say I'm surprised, roughly an ~18 month period between Episodes VII & VIII is an awfully quick turnaround. About they only way they could've pulled it off was if they had continued shooting back-to-back like the LOTR trilogy....IMO. It would've been kinda neat had it made the original date which was the 40th anniversary of A New Hope.

Back