1. Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
    Dismiss Notice

Technics enters the high end.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dentman, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Dentman

Dentman Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on this gear? I've not read any technical info yet. If nothing else you'll get a kick out of the horrible room set up.
    The amp is gorgeous!!!

2. PaulyT

PaulyT Behind the Curtain Staff Member Administrator Moderator Superstar

Wow, for $20k it better fuckin' be gorgeous... I thought Technics as a company went kaput?

3. Randy

Randy Well-Known Member Famous

Thiele is out of business and Technics has gone high end.

What is this world we live in?

Dentman likes this.
  4. rammisframmis

rammisframmis Well-Known Member

This happened awhile ago when apparently the Japanese companies saw the insane profits to be made in low volume/extremely high cost.

5. Randy

Yes, Pioneers high end offerings (speakers) we have talked about on here are indicative of this too, I think.

6. Flint

Flint "Do you know who I am?" Superstar

Yeah, I posted some photos and commentary over their new products from when I saw them at CES a little over a year ago. They went all out with these things.

7. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

Wow. I finished my taxes tonight so I had a fair amount of JW Platinum scotch to celebrate.

I must be soused, because I could swear this says Technics was high end now. *checks again* Man, this is some GOOOD stuff.

bmwuk and Dentman like this.
  8. Randy

Well, at first he said this stuff probably cost more than your car and I thought, surely not. Then he started throwin out numbers that sounded like $60K and I choked on my tea.

9. AndySTL

AndySTL Well-Known Member

Pretty cool,I'd love to hear it but I doubt I ever will.

10. Flint

This is an exercise in the art of designing audio gear. Much like over the top autos are out there, or over engineered watches, and so on, these products are targeting the Japanese market where serious audio nuts have small rooms in which they put large speakers and have room for one amp, one source, and so on. If enough people want them in the US or other nations, they have the parent company to help import the products. They are not mass marketing these products nor expecting huge sales volumes. I respect the approach and love seeing someone doing it right (rather than relying solely on pointless gimmicks which can often hurt the performance). While many expensive parts are unnecessarily costly, nearly all are related to actual measurable and potentially (theoretically) audible improvements in performance.

While I will never buy anything like the new Technics products, I do get what they are doing and think it is very respectable.

I would definitely not turn down a one of those amps received as a gift (hint, hint, guys - step up for all the great advice, education, and entertainment I've given you over the years).

11. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

I can get you a gift card to Chili's if you want.

Randy likes this.
  12. CMonster

CMonster I found a liquid cure for my landlocked blues

I once tried to give Flint a Transformers HD-DVD and he refused to except it. :crying:

Randy likes this.
  13. Flint

That's like giving an Imam a pulled pork sandwich.

Randy, Zing, PaulyT and 1 other person like this.
  14. Dentman

Dentman Well-Known Member

Not to worry he's been rewarded enough, he gets to say he knows me. Debt paid in full!
    :)

15. rammisframmis

rammisframmis Well-Known Member

By far, the biggest cost item in products like this is the chassis / metalwork etc. The semiconductors are chump change compared to that cost.

16. Deerhunter

Deerhunter Well-Known Member

Wow from pawn Shop, and yard sale to ...ahhhh hell no!

May be if I win mega or powerball, still may be better to pay Flint to build and install a ht for me.

17. Flint

And it would be the best, most magnificent HT ever built!

18. Deerhunter

Deerhunter Well-Known Member

Dam right, no one here who has listened to your speakers has said meh they are ok.

Maybe one day

19. TitaniumTroy

TitaniumTroy Well-Known Member

Love the look of the amp and remote control, very cool.

20. yromj

yromj Well-Known Member

No...not really. See a chick in a bar once borrowed my belt...I can't even type that without shuddering...

John

Flint likes this.