• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The end of Squeezebox?

Huey

Famous
:text-link: Not the best link, as it is only speculation at this point, but it looks like logitech is not going to produce squeezebox products anymore. That's too bad, but with so many other choices out there, that do so much more than stream music, I guess it makes sense. Either way, if you own a squeezebox, it should continue to work for years to come.

That is too bad, but aside from listening while on the move (earbuds on an iPhone), I don't think most people even listen to music anymore. Even at home, I know very few people who turn on the radio or play music even as background noise anymore. Most everyone turns on a TV or computer to distract themselves and nobody really focuses on anything these days. With only a handful of exceptions people are not really reading books (except to occupy their minds while commuting or waiting for something), few read long newspaper or magazine articles, and even fewer ever truly listen to music.

It is really sad.

Flint's probably right about why the SqueezeBox line isn't selling well enough to keep it alive. That said I never understood the appeal as I got more functionality out of easier to use and and sometimes less expensive equipment like an AppleTV or Xbox 360.

I didn't have time to read the whole thing but it seems most of the discussion concerns the SB Radio, only one product in the SB line. In addition there is reference to Sqhueezebox "labeled" products.

To me it sounds like they will keep making a streamer but lose the name Squeezebox and get rid of the radio.

We continue to use ours on a daily basis.......

We stream local radio in the AM.

The wife steams a Virginia radio station and listens to ripped CD's during the afternoon.

Most Weekend mornings it is playing ripped CD's. Weekend afternoons, if outside on the patio we will play ripped CD's or Pandora.

Critical listening time has really been cut back to only a couple of times a month for me..... :angry-tappingfoot: Life is just too busy!

Towen7 said:
Flint's probably right about why the SqueezeBox line isn't selling well enough to keep it alive. That said I never understood the appeal as I got more functionality out of easier to use and and sometimes less expensive equipment like an AppleTV or Xbox 360.

I love the Squeezebox because I don't have to turn on the TV to use it. Can the same be said for any other streaming devices? In particular, one's that support FLAC? I'm eventually going to need something for the basement HT if/when that ever gets done...

CMonster said:
Towen7 said:

I love the Squeezebox because I don't have to turn on the TV to use it. Can the same be said for any other streaming devices? In particular, one's that support FLAC? I'm eventually going to need something for the basement HT if/when that ever gets done...
The appletv doesn't IF you have a ipod touch/phone or pad and the free remote app from apple...

What he said, except it doesn't work with FLAC.

Thats how I access my lossless music in the HT now, even with the screen off. I'm going to put an "old" AppleTV and my little D amp in the garage to be an AirStream target for outdoor music served from my iPhone or iPad with no need to have my computer on. If so inclined I can access my entire music (including lossless) library with the Remote app as long as the PC is on and iTunes is running.

mzpro5 said:
I don't think we need to be concerned. They are changing the radio to go with their new line of Bluetooth devices labeled "Ultimate Ears" (UE). There are several products in the new line - the radio, Headphones and wireless speakers.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105...new-wave-of-headphones-and-wireless-speakers/

And I use mine everyday, in fact it is playing right now.

I don't think we have to worry just yet as well, BUT, it does concern me that they are going to stop making Squeezebox devices. I was hoping that we would finally get to the point where I could use Squeezebox server to transcode and play flac on multiple devices, and maybe it can and I just haven't figured out how, but support at some point is going to end.

Guess I need to order a battery for the duet remote before it becomes really expensive.

Huey said:
mzpro5 said:
I don't think we need to be concerned. They are changing the radio to go with their new line of Bluetooth devices labeled "Ultimate Ears" (UE). There are several products in the new line - the radio, Headphones and wireless speakers.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105...new-wave-of-headphones-and-wireless-speakers/

And I use mine everyday, in fact it is playing right now.

I don't think we have to worry just yet as well, BUT, it does concern me that they are going to stop making Squeezebox devices. I was hoping that we would finally get to the point where I could use Squeezebox server to transcode and play flac on multiple devices, and maybe it can and I just haven't figured out how, but support at some point is going to end.

Guess I need to order a battery for the duet remote before it becomes really expensive.

I don't think they are going to stop making them, they will just be "rebranded". Squeezebox is the origional name, in fact mine is pre-Logitec. They just want to reintroduce the product ynder a new name iMO.

And there are a large number of SB owners worldwide they do not want to alienate so support and updates will be around for sometime

When I'm home, I use my SB everyday after work. I come down from office flip it on receiver zone 2 and to the porch, IPAD and beer in hand. Right to Flipboard, here and all the other places I frequent. Between my own library and the diversity of web streaming, I would really miss the simplicity and music, talk and even scan police and fire in my area.

Sign me up for a set of these.

ue9001.png

Rope

mzpro5 said:
.......I don't think they are going to stop making them, they will just be "rebranded". Squeezebox is the origional name, in fact mine is pre-Logitec. They just want to reintroduce the product ynder a new name iMO.

And there are a large number of SB owners worldwide they do not want to alienate so support and updates will be around for sometime

mherger said:
Unfortunately for the existing SB user these changes also mean:

UE SR is not compatible with SB and mysb.com: you'll need distinct accounts, won't be able to sync your existing SB devices with the SR, migrate settings etc.
as player control is all in the backend now, some of LMS' features and extensibility are gone (eg. the Random Play plugin)
there currently is no web UI to control playback. Use your smartphone/tablet computer instead.
while we plan to offer an optional upgrade path for existing SB Radio users, this will be limited to the Radio

That was from a poster from the link in Huey's OP. That also tells me that SB users will have to either run the UE's software on their PCs along with SBS if they want to buy the UE radio AND keep their current SBs, or ditch their SBs for the newer players.

I'm disappointed. From the looks of it, I don't like the UE's tiny display. The same can be said for the Touch (though I would like to have one). What I liked about the SB3s and older is the ability to have the display scroll and see all the info. Sure one could use their cellphone, but that's one more app to have on there and frankly I don't want to be in a position where I would "have" to have a cellphone for stuff like this.

Looks like I'll be holding on to my players for a while, and may add on one or two more.

Yesfan70 said:
mzpro5 said:
.......I don't think they are going to stop making them, they will just be "rebranded". Squeezebox is the origional name, in fact mine is pre-Logitec. They just want to reintroduce the product ynder a new name iMO.

mherger said:
Unfortunately for the existing SB user these changes also mean:

UE SR is not compatible with SB and mysb.com: you'll need distinct accounts, won't be able to sync your existing SB devices with the SR, migrate settings etc.
as player control is all in the backend now, some of LMS' features and extensibility are gone (eg. the Random Play plugin)
there currently is no web UI to control playback. Use your smartphone/tablet computer instead.
while we plan to offer an optional upgrade path for existing SB Radio users, this will be limited to the Radio

That was from a poster from the link in Huey's OP. That also tells me that SB users will have to either run the UE's software on their PCs along with SBS if they want to buy the UE radio AND keep their current SBs, or ditch their SBs for the newer players.

I'm disappointed. From the looks of it, I don't like the UE's tiny display. The same can be said for the Touch (though I would like to have one). What I liked about the SB3s and older is the ability to have the display scroll and see all the info. Sure one could use their cellphone, but that's one more app to have on there and frankly I don't want to be in a position where I would "have" to have a cellphone for stuff like this.

Looks like I'll be holding on to my players for a while, and may add on one or two more.

Having thought about this I think it is a move to make the radio more portable, interfacing with devices via Bluetooth rather than thru a dedicated computer. I don't foresee the same happening with the "standard" players but that is just conjecture on my part.

mzpro5 said:
....Having thought about this I think it is a move to make the radio more portable, interfacing with devices via Bluetooth rather than thru a dedicated computer. I don't foresee the same happening with the "standard" players but that is just conjecture on my part.

That's fine making the radio more portable, but just hope they don't shut out the other "not so portable" devices for the sake of radios like the UE. I like being able to play my music from my phone to my car stereo via Bluetooth, but I don't use my phone as my primary listening source when listening to my home setup.

Yesfan70 said:
mzpro5 said:
....Having thought about this I think it is a move to make the radio more portable, interfacing with devices via Bluetooth rather than thru a dedicated computer. I don't foresee the same happening with the "standard" players but that is just conjecture on my part.

That's fine making the radio more portable, but just hope they don't shut out the other "not so portable" devices for the sake of radios like the UE. I like being able to play my music from my phone to my car stereo via Bluetooth, but I don't use my phone as my primary listening source when listening to my home setup.

Which is exactly why I don't see a similar change in the other SB devices.

I would be curious to know what percentage of devices currently in use are SB Radios. I considered getting one but when I realized its limitations I decided not to get one, a SB Touch would be my choice, unless I could find a classic for sale.

I mostly listen to music in the car or at the gym or in the background while doing something else at home. I do sit down and do dedicated listening once in awhile, but not nearly as often as I used to.

This does make me wonder if I shouldn't try to snap up another SB or two for my house though.

mzpro5 said:
Yesfan70 said:
mzpro5 said:

Which is exactly why I don't see a similar change in the other SB devices.

I would be curious to know what percentage of devices currently in use are SB Radios. I considered getting one but when I realized its limitations I decided not to get one, a SB Touch would be my choice, unless I could find a classic for sale.

But the SB devices (my guess is the Touch is included) are going to be phased out right? You and me (and others) are ok since most of us have more than one SB in use. Someone new to the SB better buy one sooner or get left out. That's what I meant by previous replies. It looks like you'll have to look at either the new UEs, or go with something else like Sonos or AppleTV once the SBs are all gone.

My understanding is something that works great in the home (but lacks portability) is being replaced by something a bit more inferior and/or causes a major change in one's setup for the sake of "mobility". That's a problem to me.

Better buy them while they're still around I guess.

Yesfan70 said:
But the SB devices (my guess is the Touch is included) are going to be phased out right? You and me (and others) are ok since most of us have more than one SB in use. Someone new to the SB better buy one sooner or get left out. That's what I meant by previous replies. It looks like you'll have to look at either the new UEs, or go with something else like Sonos or AppleTV once the SBs are all gone.

My understanding is something that works great in the home (but lacks portability) is being replaced by something a bit more inferior and/or causes a major change in one's setup for the sake of "mobility". That's a problem to me.

Better buy them while they're still around I guess.

I have seen nothing that indicates anything other than the Radio is being phased out unless I missed it.

I did go back and check and all I see is in reference to the Radio, not the Touch.

EDIT:I did some searching and it does seem the Touch is being phased out but the current software for our SBs will be around for the foreseeable future.

Back