• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The end of Squeezebox?

mzpro5 said:
Yesfan70 said:
I plan on using mine til it kicks over dead. I don't use it to stream online or anything (Pandora, LastFM, etc.), just music from my ripped CDs. I would think as long as I'm happy with the current version of SB server, I'm good.
I listen to a lot of Internet radio, will miss that.

I can see that. What I like doing is tuning in to one of the Nashville stations that's airing the Titans' games while watching on the big screen. Mike Keith, Titan's play caller, is much more exciting to listen to than CBS. That, and I'm a fan of Mr. Keith.

I'll miss that option too, but am hoping I can still stream the audio from my laptop to the HT rig. If so, I'm still good. I think you will be too, just the SB just makes it easier.

Our SB will stay in the Livingroom/Den once the dedicated room is built and complete. There is convenience as pointed out by my wife with respect to using the SB in the dedicated room especially if I have favorite songs that I want to listen to as oppose to different albums.

This is a couple of month out anyway.

I was just curious about other devices that have high quality that does not need a display.

For those interested there are several buy no bid deals on SB classic for $130.00 but no remote. The remote for the classic is not very good if you are looking for a second SB you already have a remote and you can set up a universal like the One very easily.

SB Classic

Also SB Duet with advanced remote for $185.00

SB Duet

^--- decent deals. FYI if you've got a laptop/tablet with a web browser on your local network, you can also control everything that way.

PaulyT said:
^--- decent deals. FYI if you've got a laptop/tablet with a web browser on your local network, you can also control everything that way.
Right. I use the SqueezePad App quite a bit. Best way to control the SB and gives lots of extras.

Check out Sonos. Their stuff is not cheap (in either sense of the word), but it WORKS!! You can use the system w/ or w/o a PC (assuming you have another place to store the media such as a NAS etc.) and you can use your Android phone or table as the controller. It's really cool stuff.

Also, somewhere I have a thread about an app I downloaded which allows control of WMP. It's pretty cool too but you have the issues of WMP and lossless.

John

There are several apps for android that control the squeezebox; one from logitech itself, and at least a few other 3rd party ones, some free. Checking them out right now...

It's not, from what I can tell. But screenshots seem to look very similar to logitech's own squeezebox app... which so far seems to work quite nicely for me.

Here's a screenshot...

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,408
PaulyT said:
It's not, from what I can tell. But screenshots seem to look very similar to logitech's own squeezebox app... which so far seems to work quite nicely for me.

When I was looking at SB apps about a year ago the Logitech app for iDevices was not very good. I think I paid 10-15 bucks for the SqueezePad app and it was well worth it. One thing it does is provide a data screen tab where you can connect directly to a number of data sources to learn about an album, song or artists while listening.

So bare with me on some basic questions:

1. As long as I have the Logitech Media Server load on my PC, I will be able to use my SB to play music that is ripped to my Hard Drive, even if, Logitech discontinues all support?

2. If I down load one of these apps on my (don't laugh) netbook, I can control the SB from it?

Same goes for the Duet if I decide to purchase one?

Thanks!

heeman said:

1. As long as I have the Logitech Media Server load on my PC, I will be able to use my SB to play music that is ripped to my Hard Drive, even if, Logitech discontinues all support?

2. If I down load one of these apps on my (don't laugh) netbook, I can control the SB from it?

Same goes for the Duet if I decide to purchase one?

Thanks!

1. At this time indications are yes.

2. Should be able to.

The remote that comes with the Duet is pretty neat. Formatted a bit like the SB server you can access all music and make adjustments also displays album art and music info. With a set of headphones it can actually be used as another player.

If I did not already have that remote I would have bought a Duet.

Once you buy it and install the software, there's no need for any support by logitech unless you want/need software updates. But if it works, there's no need to update it. Even if (as it's now called) logitech media server were to disappear today and logitech go bankrupt, you'd still be able to use your existing software and devices. There's pretty strong 3rd party community support for their software, so I'd imagine some updates would continue to roll out.

Yes, you can absolutely control it via your netbook; I do this all the time, it's my normal control mechanism when I'm working.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about being able to use squeezebox hardware and software for a good long while, even if it's officially out of production.

PaulyT said:
Once you buy it and install the software, there's no need for any support by logitech unless you want/need software updates. But if it works, there's no need to update it. Even if (as it's now called) logitech media server were to disappear today and logitech go bankrupt, you'd still be able to use your existing software and devices. There's pretty strong 3rd party community support for their software, so I'd imagine some updates would continue to roll out.

Yes, you can absolutely control it via your netbook; I do this all the time, it's my normal control mechanism when I'm working.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about being able to use squeezebox hardware and software for a good long while, even if it's officially out of production.
I am pretty sure you would not be able to use the Internet radio if Logitech drops support as to do that you have to go thru Squeeze Server and it seems them dropping support also means the end of Squeeze Server from what I have read.

You could access all you own tunes as Squeeze Server is not involved in that process.

I do believe SqueezeCenter is open source as well, so even if Logitech pulls the plug, someone will continue to support it, probably even a work around for the internet radio.

Huey said:
I do believe SqueezeCenter is open source as well, so even if Logitech pulls the plug, someone will continue to support it, probably even a work around for the internet radio.
I sure hope so.

heeman said:

Agree with the answers above, but is this PC strictly a media device, or do you use it for other things? If the latter, an OS update is eventually going to come along that won't play with the Logitech software. This is what happened to me with my Nikon slide scanner. :|

Botch said:
heeman said:

Agree with the answers above, but is this PC strictly a media device, or do you use it for other things? If the latter, an OS update is eventually going to come along that won't play with the Logitech software. This is what happened to me with my Nikon slide scanner. :|

As long as his PC is not updating, he should be good. I have a ten year old Dell PC running XP and haven't updated it in a while. That machine will be a media server only. Fortunately, I use the Dell for streaming ripped music only. I have a laptop for everything else.

Worst case scenario, just back up the SB software and buy a cheap used PC to run as a sole media server if he needs/wants a second PC.

Back