• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The end of Squeezebox?

Squeezebox Touch provides enough internet radio station genres and stations to listen until the flesh falls off your bones. The last time I listened to internet radio via my touch was around 3 years ago when it was new.

I realize I'm not cutting edge when it comes to the latest greatest, but who in jumped up Jesus listens to a portable radio any more? With portable media files and devices, this seems like a real white elephant on Logitech's part.(or UE/Ultimate Ears, or whatever name they're using today)

Rope

Tablets and phones are how most people will get music throughout the house. It's easier and requires one less interface to learn.

The cool thing is that you can use the Logitech Media Server software with most smartphones and tablets and sync them with Squeezeboxes. My wife uses an app on her iPad with a BlueTooth speaker in the kitchen and often syncs with the Squeezebox in the living room and the Squeezebox Boom in the master bath.

CMonster said:
I love the Squeezebox because I don't have to turn on the TV to use it. Can the same be said for any other streaming devices? In particular, one's that support FLAC? I'm eventually going to need something for the basement HT if/when that ever gets done...

Many receivers will do FLAC now. I use my Yamaha to stream FLAC from my NAS a LOT. The Android app (and presumably iPad app as well) is VERY easy to use and the two-way data feed is great. That way you can see everything w/o the need for a TV or other display.

John

Since we are building a dedicated room for our Home Theater, my wife suggested that we buy another SB, so that we can leave the one in the Living Room for music and to play on our outside system.

Today I went to logitech's website and they are GONE, NO MORE, NO MENTION.

I found this on cnet's website.

So are there any options out there? I am only interested in playing music in the dedicated room from Windows Media Lossless that is ripped on my PC and there is no need to stream from the net. I don't want to have to turn on the projector to access the music.

Help/Suggestions are appreciated!

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_...-leaves-squeezebox-fans-wondering-whats-next/

There's always used squeezeboxes floating around ebay, possibly even audiogon. I think I only got one of my three new...

heeman said:
Since we are building a dedicated room for our Home Theater, my wife suggested that we buy another SB, so that we can leave the one in the Living Room for music and to play on our outside system.

Today I went to logitech's website and they are GONE, NO MORE, NO MENTION.

I found this on cnet's website.

So are there any options out there? I am only interested in playing music in the dedicated room from Windows Media Lossless that is ripped on my PC and there is no need to stream from the net. I don't want to have to turn on the projector to access the music.

Help/Suggestions are appreciated!

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_...-leaves-squeezebox-fans-wondering-whats-next/

Not sure if you are looking for a classic or what, but Amazon still has at least most of the squeezebox line for sale, although it looks like you will pay dearly for a classic.

Yes, I did see the ones on Amazon and they are pricey!

Just wondering what other solutions there are out there......

After reading that article I can only say this sucks the big one.

I was considering buying a Touch but who knows how the f**k long the software will be functional for Internet radio.

So new equipment with new software, just a way for Logitech to bleed us for more money.

Doubt I will ever buy another Logitech product again.

:angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

It doesn't really surprise me, when you think about all of the streaming options out there. A music only streaming solution isn't very practical when for the same money, or less, you can stream music, pictures, videos and even play games with some of the offerings.

I guess one option would be to buy a receiver that streams, which seems to be getting somewhat commonplace. The other that I can think of that would play without the tv on, is setting a smartphone up that has a hdmi output with some kind of streaming app on the phone. Not perfect, but would still keep the lossless songs in the digital domain until it's decoded by the receiver, at least I think that would work.

mzpro5 said:

I was considering buying a Touch but who knows how the f**k long the software will be functional for Internet radio.

So new equipment with new software, just a way for Logitech to bleed us for more money.

Wow, sounds like Apple.

Rope

Rope said:
mzpro5 said:

Wow, sounds like Apple.

Rope

....and Microsoft.

problem is they are pricey for being limited to music only, tablets and phones are more capable that the Squeezebox for around the same money and are easier to use. It's not Logitech's fault, can't keep trotting a product out with limited interest. What they should of done is used the Squeezebox name and offered a tablet that offers up the same ability without the need for running software on the PC. Be a nice way for Logitech to get in the tablet game and incorporate other aspects like video and remote apps specifically for Squeezebox tablets that can also be Harmony remotes......that's a good entertainment device.

heeman said:
So ........... no real options???

tablets, not sure you can have lossless capability but it would be useful in a room that's for casual listening and offer up other capabilities.

-B- said:
heeman said:

tablets, not sure you can have lossless capability but it would be useful in a room that's for casual listening and offer up other capabilities.

Lots of options, especially if you are willing to add a display (TV or monitor);
An Xbox360 will stream WMA lossless (and FLAC if you are willing/able to hack WMC to do it).
An Apple TV can directly access your PC running iTunes for Apple lossless
An iPhone or iPad can run the Remote app on your PC running iTunes for Apple lossless to an Apple TV (no monitor required)
Any small/cheap PC or laptop with an IR receiver should be able to stream using any media player

Towen7 said:
-B- said:
heeman said:

Lots of options, especially if you are willing to add a display (TV or monitor);
An Xbox360 will stream WMA lossless (and FLAC if you are willing/able to hack WMC to do it).
An Apple TV can directly access your PC running iTunes for Apple lossless
An iPhone or iPad can run the Remote app on your PC running iTunes for Apple lossless to an Apple TV (no monitor required)
Any small/cheap PC or laptop with an IR receiver should be able to stream using any media player

Thanks Tom!

All iTunes options are out.

It sounds like I will need a display for the other 2 options.

The other option, since this will be a dedicated room and for mainly critical listening, is to get my fat ass up and select a CD and put it in the player.................now wouldn't that be something????

The SB is very, very convenient for general listening and gatherings, however in a dedicated room, popping in a CD, may very well be the best solution.

heeman said:
Thanks Tom!

All iTunes options are out.

It sounds like I will need a display for the other 2 options.

The other option, since this will be a dedicated room and for mainly critical listening, is to get my fat ass up and select a CD and put it in the player.................now wouldn't that be something????

The SB is very, very convenient for general listening and gatherings, however in a dedicated room, popping in a CD, may very well be the best solution.

I was considering getting another SB for my dedicated listening room but due to possible lack of software support I decided not to.

For now the SB will stay in the LR (i did put a separate power line and analog connector with the 2150 so it is easy to move around if I want) and I will just use CDs and LPs in the dedicated room for the most part.

I plan on using mine til it kicks over dead. I don't use it to stream online or anything (Pandora, LastFM, etc.), just music from my ripped CDs. I would think as long as I'm happy with the current version of SB server, I'm good.

Yesfan70 said:
I plan on using mine til it kicks over dead. I don't use it to stream online or anything (Pandora, LastFM, etc.), just music from my ripped CDs. I would think as long as I'm happy with the current version of SB server, I'm good.
I listen to a lot of Internet radio, will miss that.

Back