• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The end of Squeezebox?

The server software is open source, so not dangers there. I personally believe that the reason Squeezebox failed is that the product was just plain too expensive. A $300 music-only streamer is not very compelling next to a $89 Roku, especially when that Roku can be paired with a variety of media servers for music streaming.

Haywood said:
The server software is open source, so not dangers there. I personally believe that the reason Squeezebox failed is that the product was just plain too expensive. A $300 music-only streamer is not very compelling next to a $89 Roku, especially when that Roku can be paired with a variety of media servers for music streaming.
:text-+1:

Haywood said:
But unless I am missing something you cannot stream your music collection via Roku

Haywood said:
Yes, I can. The Roku has client apps for a bunch of media servers.

I've been kicking around getting a Roku XS, but it would be a deal breaker if I couldn't stream my own music. Are they paid apps, does it work well, etc.?

The only issue I am running into is getting it to work with WMAL. I am currently using Plex Media Server, which is generally excellent. There is also a client for Subsonic and even one for Logitech Media Server (Squeezebox), although the later is clunky and doesn't support WMAL. I am sure there are others. If I cannot get Plex to transcode, I'm going to install Subsonic and give that a try. I'm pretty sure it will work, because I used to use it to stream music to my iPad.

I just picked up a new Squeezebox Duet on ebay for $172.50.

One thing checked off my list.

Nice!

That's like 1/2 what they used to sell for. Right?
I've never paid much attention to SB stuff but from the looks of it the Duet looks like a great choice for your setup since it lets you a) see your collection on the remote itself instead of the tiny display on the unit and b) use that remote to control your other SB.

This was a good deal, there are other new Duet's on ebay for well over $300.

It is perfect for my new project for just what you said, display on the remote.

:handgestures-thumbup:

Got it today.................

Liar on ebay....."NEW", not quite.

Kinda pissed.

Extremely difficult to get set up via Ethernet connection.......

Are there fidelity benefits to connect via Ethernet vs. Wireless? It is connected now, however even the Logitech site says to connect via Ethernet as last resort, had to connect via their Bridged Method. Wasted many hours. Even sober!

Sorry it's such a pain... at least it's working, I hope? If you've got a strong signal, there's no difference between wireless and wired. I have two of three of mine wired just because it will otherwise occasionally lose the signal and have to re-buffer, especially in my office that's further from the router.

heeman said:
Got it today.................

Liar on ebay....."NEW", not quite.

Kinda pissed.

Extremely difficult to get set up via Ethernet connection.......

Are there fidelity benefits to connect via Ethernet vs. Wireless? It is connected now, however even the Logitech site says to connect via Ethernet as last resort, had to connect via their Bridged Method. Wasted many hours. Even sober!

Keith, there shouldn't be any fidelity issues between the two, unless the wireless side has bandwidth or interference issues, and then you would just get dropouts and buffering. That's why I run all of mine with ethernet.

I don't remember it being a big deal to hook up ethernet, wireless was the harder one for me. When you say bridged mode, are you talking about bridging the remote to the duet receiver? In an ideal setup, where ethernet is available, the receiver would be hooked up by ethernet, and the controller would be wirelessly connected to the router. It's been a little while since I had to hook these up, but maybe we can help if you are still having problems.

I'd do hybrid mode. Based on those two links it seems like bridge mode should only be used if you don't have a wireless router.

I think I've convinced myself to move away from the Squeezebox so maybe you should save yourself some headaches and just buy my Classic... :happy-smileygiantred:

The hybrid option is what I use and it works well. Do you have any other squeezebox's in the loop? If not, it should be just a matter of hooking the cable to the receiver, pressing and holding the button until it turns red, and then follow the instructions on the controller. I hope you can get it going.

CMonster said:
I'd do hybrid mode. Based on those two links it seems like bridge mode should only be used if you don't have a wireless router.

I think I've convinced myself to move away from the Squeezebox so maybe you should save yourself some headaches and just buy my Classic... :happy-smileygiantred:

I have a Classic in the Living Room and that will stay there. The Duet is perfect for the theater room because of the display on the remote/controller.

Huey said:
The hybrid option is what I use and it works well. Do you have any other squeezebox's in the loop? If not, it should be just a matter of hooking the cable to the receiver, pressing and holding the button until it turns red, and then follow the instructions on the controller. I hope you can get it going.

I have a Classic in the Living Room and it will stay there. I will try to connect in the hybrid mode tonight or over the weekend. Will report what happens!

heeman said:
CMonster said:

I have a Classic in the Living Room and that will stay there. The Duet is perfect for the theater room because of the display on the remote/controller.
You are aware that you can also use that controller for the Classic in your LR aren't you? It handles multiple players.

Back