• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The end of Squeezebox?

mzpro5 said:
heeman said:
CMonster said:
I'd do hybrid mode. Based on those two links it seems like bridge mode should only be used if you don't have a wireless router.

I think I've convinced myself to move away from the Squeezebox so maybe you should save yourself some headaches and just buy my Classic... :happy-smileygiantred:

I have a Classic in the Living Room and that will stay there. The Duet is perfect for the theater room because of the display on the remote/controller.
You are aware that you can also use that controller for the Classic in your LR aren't you? It handles multiple players.

Yes sir!

heeman said:
Do any of you guys know how to tell how the SB Duet is connected?

Probably the easiest way is to open the server web control, and then go to the about tab. It should list all of your squeezeboxes as well as ip adresses and how they are hooked up.

Now I am connected Hybrid.................

The ability to have the album art and complete control from the remote is excellent!

No regrets here. I wish it was "NEW" as indicated in the ebay ad, however it is still if very good shape and working great!

:happy-smileygiantred:

FYI...even though SB has WiFi ability, and in some cases that is the users only option. The best performance is achieved by Ethernet connection, which includes SQ.

Rope

Rope said:
FYI...even though SB has WiFi ability, and in some cases that is the users only option. The best performance is achieved by Ethernet connection, which includes SQ.

Rope

How can that be if Flac and other lossless formats are "mathematically equivalent"? I can understand other issues like more security (drops outs, interference, etc.), but all other factors aside, they should be the same sonically speaking.

Yeah, in my experience if the network is lagging, it just pauses for re-buffering. It doesn't "degrade" the SQ like incrementally changing the bit rate on an MP3. But it may depend on what formats you're using, I think it may in fact have some option to adjust mp3 trans-coding on the fly if you're using that, I'm not sure. But I use FLAC all the time, so my experience may be different.

Yesfan70 said:
Rope said:

Rope

How can that be if Flac and other lossless formats are "mathematically equivalent"? I can understand other issues like more security (drops outs, interference, etc.), but all other factors aside, they should be the same sonically speaking.

Lossless file composition has little to do with WiFi vesus Ethernet. Packet srinkage/size, interferance from outside sources and the efficency of moving the packets, not to mention where the audio file is decoded, ( server or SB) from point A to B.

Rope

Controller/Remote Question:

Do you guys leave it on the charger when not in use? Or do you just put it on the charger when the battery is low?

Have a Rockin' Weekend! :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

heeman said:

Do you guys leave it on the charger when not in use? Or do you just put it on the charger when the battery is low?

Thing is a power hog, I always put it in the charger when not using.

mzpro5 said:
heeman said:

Thing is a power hog, I always put it in the charger when not using.
:text-+1:

Either way, you will get about 1.5-2 years out of the battery. Mine currently holds a five minute charge, and the only reason I haven't bought a new battery is that most smartphones will now control the squeezebox.

Yeah, I leave mine in the charger, it sits on the gear rack under my TV and is a convenient and not overly large/bright/distracting clock when I'm not using it.

So I broken down and now I own (1) Classic from 2008 and (2) Duets (recent ebay purchases).............don't ask me why????

I gave up trying to make Plex stream WMA Lossless to a Roku. I will continue to use my WMA Lossless library with my Squeezeboxes, but transcoded everything to 256kb AAC for portable and Roku use. This should be more than adequate for those purposes and will allow me to throw the inexpensive Roku boxes around the house for casual music duty. The Squeezebox will remain the primary music source in my main system, which is honestly the only place where I care about the difference between 256k AAC and Lossless.

Back