• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Universal Remote

Dentman

What's the most simple to program remote out there today that handles the simple tasks of source changes, volume, and channel changes. I don't need it to much more then that. TV, BD Player, Receiver.

The 650 that Zing linked isn't a bad remote for the price. My Harmony One was getting to where it wouldn't hold a charge for more than 4 hours off of the charger, which was fine for me at night, as long as the kids put it back in the cradle, but you know, kids. Still have the One, but got the 650 for everyday use, and moved the One to the bedroom where it's just the wife that watches tv.

Simple to program = Logitech Harmony

Use a web interface to tell it your devices and install the program to the remote. Options go from super basic to web-connected remotes that can connect to Alexa, run macros and interface with your smart home devices.

What I like is that even the entry level remotes are activity based. You press a “watch TV” button, a “watch a movie button” or a “listen to music button” and it sets up your system and your remote as you directed it to.

I've been using the Harmony 650 series for years. Good remotes, even if they eat batteries a bit.

The only caveat is you have to let the remote do its work. Don't just hit a button and set it anywhere- keep it pointed at the system until it's done powering stuff up. But it works well, is easier to set up than pretty much any other remote I've ever seen, and truly is the one remote to rule them all and in the home theater bind them.

That’s one thing I like about the Logitech Hub and companion remote. Whether you use the physical remote or the app, all commands are sent via WiFi to the hub which handles all the IR. There is no IR emitter on the remote so there’s no reason to point it. Surprisingly there have been no real lags or glitches so far.

It also integrates with Alexa though the only thing I use that for is occasionally turning the set on and off. It’s not uncommon for someone to leave the TV on and walk away. When I notice that I just say “Alexa, turn off TV”.

The only drawback I've had with the 650, and I'm not sure if it's a problem with the remote or the programming, but sometimes certain pieces of equipment don't respond when I push a button. My Dish receiver is the worst for this. Also, it will only control 5 devices, found this out the hard way when programming and I had to make a decision on which piece of gear I couldn't control with the remote.

Thanks guys. I thought maybe the Harmony would have competition by now, roughly 10 years since I looked for one. The 650 sounds perfect for me. I only have 4 things to control and all have a straight 12ft line of sight.

Thanks guys. I thought maybe the Harmony would have competition by now, roughly 10 years since I looked for one. The 650 sounds perfect for me. I only have 4 things to control and all have a straight 12ft line of sight.

You'd think somebody would have been able to beat Logitech at the game, but alas. Not so much.

That’s one thing I like about the Logitech Hub and companion remote. Whether you use the physical remote or the app, all commands are sent via WiFi to the hub which handles all the IR. There is no IR emitter on the remote so there’s no reason to point it. Surprisingly there have been no real lags or glitches so far.

It also integrates with Alexa though the only thing I use that for is occasionally turning the set on and off. It’s not uncommon for someone to leave the TV on and walk away. When I notice that I just say “Alexa, turn off TV”.

Checking out the Hub...
what's the difference between the Hub:
https://www.amazon.com/Jaybird-915-...8&qid=1520969734&sr=1-3&keywords=logitech+hub

and

this: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Har...8&qid=1520969734&sr=1-4&keywords=logitech+hub

Looks like the second one includes a dedicated remote you can use (can also use smartphone). The first depends on your smartphone.

Oddly ... The $79 one is just the hub and the $59 one includes the hub and a basic remote which usually sells for around $25. You can pair other remotes with the same Hub as well.

I have the Hub and that basic remote and it works rather well. While the Hub can handle a bunch of devices the remote is only capable of handling 5 devices and three activities (TV, Movie, and Music).

Oddly ... The $79 one is just the hub and the $59 one includes the hub and a basic remote which usually sells for around $25. You can pair other remotes with the same Hub as well.

I have the Hub and that basic remote ant it works rather well. While the Hub can handle a bunch of devices the remote is only capable of handling 5 devices and three activities (TV, Movie, and Music).

Any idea if I can purchase two Hubs and place one with my main system and one with my bedroom system and walk between both and use 1 remote (and/or smartphone) at either location?
Going to have to look into that.

tempted to get the hub with remote... does it affect your wifi, slow it down for example?

Not noticeably but I keep my 5Ghz band reserved for devices I care about speed for, like laptops, phones and tablets. The Hub and similar devices are on the slower 2.4Ghz band.

thanks, i appreciate it. too bad the router here at parents place is 2.4 only. i plan to integrate another router, or completely remove this one when the time is right.

Back