• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Upgrade advice sought

This month's Stereophile reviewed the Focal Chorus 826W, 30th Anniversary Edition, and they really raved about them (of course, they rave about $800 speaker cables too). They sell for $3,495.

826w.jpg

Some very good suggestions have been offered up.

$4,000 opens many good options.
Listen to as many brands as you're able, without burnout . . .

Then compare what you've heard to comparably-priced Dynaudios.
In my opinion, you'll be impressed.

just another somebody's 2 cents worth . . .

Maximo said:
@ $4k I wouldn't be to interested in used speakers.

Why not man? I bought my speakers "used", and they are in perfect condition, not a scratch and sound amazing. There was no way that I could have paid for them new, even at 25% or 35% off new I couldn't do it.

I got them at almost 60% off cuz they were "used", but they look and play like they are right out of the box!

Well, I guess if you absolutely know what you are looking at and know that they sound amazing I guess it couldn't hurt. Just this time anyway...

If you are going used, then take a look at the paradigm S-8's. That is my bias.

I have a suggestion for you. There is a audio dealer not far from NYC called MSS HiFi, they deal in both new and used audio gear. Great people to deal with and very knowledgeable.

:text-link: http://www.msshifi.com

I have gotten some great deals from them in the past with no problems.

Specifications

System Type: 4 driver, 3 way
Tweeter: (1) 1" dual pole neo ribbon, folded Kapton diaphram
Midrange: (1) 3" dual pole neo ribbon, vapor deposited kapton diaphram
Midwoofer: (1) 7" Rohacell reinforced-Silver Graphite, cast frame
Subwoofer: (2) 8" Rohacell reinforced-Silver Graphite, cast frame
Low Frequency Alignment: B-6 Assisted
Freq. Response (Hz, +/-2dB): 32-30K
Impedance: 4 OhmSensitivity (Room, dB@ 2.83V) 94 dB
Recommended Amplification: 25 - 300 Watts
Crossover: 450, 4K
Binding Posts: 2 Pair
Dimensions HxWxD (inches): 44 x 10.75 x 13
Weight: 110 lbs. each
Shipping Dimensions HxWxD (inches): 51 x 20 x 18
Shipping Weight: 100 lbs. each

>

I think that anything bought used should really be negotiated down to 50%..... anything after that is gravy (considering condition).

Go listen for yourself.

If you call ahead they will set up what you want to hear. Spend the day and keep an open mind.

Is your room completely closed in or are there openings to other rooms?

And while 220 sq ft offers a certain bit of information, the dimensions and overall volume will offer a lot more information. What are the dimensions of your room (WxLxH)?

It's a studio apt. with separate kitchen. The main room has only one opening approx. 3 ft, wide that extends vertically to the ceiling that leads to the front door and kitchen. This opening will be on the opposing side of the room from the speakers. The ceiling is seems to be 8 ft. high making approx. 1760 cubed feet. The dimensions seem just about square box shaped. Not much furniture just a full size bed on the wall with the opening, and a dresser and a couple of book cases on the side walls. Floor is hardwood, no carpet.

Full range speakers with a rear port need about two to three feet from any boundry to work properly.

What is it you don't like about your present setup?

trash said:
Full range speakers with a rear port need about two to three feet from any boundary to work properly.

What is it you don't like about your present setup?

I can place the speakers at least 2 feet away from the rear and side walls. I'm concerned that I will not be far enough away from them for the sound from the various drivers to meld properly.

I am very happy with the Mackie's that I currently have, however I have the opportunity for a once in a lifetime speaker upgrade, and that is proving VERY difficult to resist.

2chnfornow said:
I'm concerned that I will not be far enough away from them for the sound from the various drivers to meld properly.
How far away is (or would be) your listening position?

Since you're seeking recommendations, if you have the ability to audition a pair of PSB Platinum T6 speakers - and ultimately like them - here is a pair for a virtual steal. They're brand new and from a seemingly trustworthy seller. I've been resisting the urge to buy these myself and I haven't even heard them.

Zing said:
2chnfornow said:
I'm concerned that I will not be far enough away from them for the sound from the various drivers to meld properly.
How far away is (or would be) your listening position?

Since you're seeking recommendations, if you have the ability to audition a pair of PSB Platinum T6 speakers - and ultimately like them - here is a pair for a virtual steal. They're brand new and from a seemingly trustworthy seller. I've been resisting the urge to buy these myself and I haven't even heard them.

I would be about 8-10 ft. away from the speakers. I have no choice to be not more than a foot or so from the rear wall.

I did see those PSB's on Audiogon, however I do not want to risk having the speakers shipped. Also I don't want to buy anything I cannot hear first.

If space is going to be an issue, opt for a front ported speakers, which will be more easily placed closer to rear walls.

Listen to as many speaker as possible, even speaker outside your budget, they will set a standard to judge others by. Even though you may not intend purchasing an uber expensive speaker, you can always note the traits and characteristics of those speakers and seek a less expensive speaker with some of those same traits and characteristics.

As for shipping speakers, insure them, ship with fedX and take the time to inspect the container boxes carefully when they arrive.

Rope

Back