• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Upgrade advice sought

I think your making a mistake by not adding Klipsch to your list.

Don't let the low price fool you! They sound like they are much more expensive!

Dennie

2chnfornow said:
Will those who are knowledgeable about Klipsch Cornwalls, please chime in on these:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/ele/2044232625.html
Those are "Designer" Cornwalls and are fairly rare and desirable. If they are original, they will need new capacitors or new crossovers. Bob Crites sells new Type B crossovers for $180 a pair and are very easy to change.

Here is the link for Bob's website:

http://www.critesspeakers.com/

I can't speak to the price, as I've not been in the market for a while now, but I would think that is a fair price. Remember, those are large speakers.

If you want to know more, try the KLIPSCH Forums.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/4.aspx

Dennie

I agree with Dennie. The Klipsch forum is the, obviously, best place for anything Klipsch. A great bunch folks out there. :handgestures-thumbup:

2chnfornow said:

It is to good to be true. I received this reply today:

Hello

Yes the unit is available but I am out of USA now because I work at Red Cross and I'm traveling a lot. Now I am in UK with them. This is not a problem because I know a very good shipping company who can help us with this transaction. If you are interested please let me know for I can tell you the details.

Thank you

"to good to be true" words to live by.

He travels with a pair a 3.4's????? :scared-yipes:

Run, don't walk, run away from that deal!

2chnfornow said:
2chnfornow said:

Hello

Yes the unit is available but I am out of USA now because I work at Red Cross and I'm traveling a lot. Now I am in UK with them. This is not a problem because I know a very good shipping company who can help us with this transaction. If you are interested please let me know for I can tell you the details.

Thank you

Anyone looking on Audiogon for used Dynaudio's BEWARE!

From Audiogon:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl? ... 4-in-Excel

From Craigslist:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/ele/2038899387.html

2chnfornow said:
2chnfornow said:
2chnfornow said:

Hello

Thank you

Anyone looking on Audiogon for used Dynaudio's BEWARE!

From Audiogon:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl? ... 4-in-Excel

From Craigslist:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/ele/2038899387.html

I'm not attempting to down play every seller in New York, but what I have learned when purchasing items online, be real careful who you're dealing with if their location is a New York address.

Rope

I am a little late to the game, but I am a big fan of most of Legacy Audio's stuff. the Classic HD is a very nice speaker. I am also huge fan of the Focus and the Whispers. Although they would serve different needs for me. In a dedicated 2 channel room with no holds barrd i would like the Whispers, and in a HT setup I would pick the Focus. You may find a set of either one of them used. If not the Classics are sweeet.

As for the other reccomendations Thiel, Dynaudio, Focal, Revel, and the Klipsch Heritage stuff have all left me at one time or another with very fond memories and nothing but the hioghest regard.

The journey will be half the fun...

Randy said:
I am a little late to the game, but I am a big fan of most of Legacy Audio's stuff. the Classic HD is a very nice speaker. I am also huge fan of the Focus and the Whispers. Although they would serve different needs for me. In a dedicated 2 channel room with no holds barrd i would like the Whispers, and in a HT setup I would pick the Focus. You may find a set of either one of them used. If not the Classics are sweeet.

As for the other reccomendations Thiel, Dynaudio, Focal, Revel, and the Klipsch Heritage stuff have all left me at one time or another with very fond memories and nothing but the hioghest regard.

Hi Randy, how would you describe the overall sound of the Legacy's (bright, neutral, laid back, etc.) ?

I would love to score on a pair of Whispers. If they sound as good as they look, I would sell everything I have and go back to a 2 channel setup in a NY minute.

Ok, maybe I would still keep my projector, but the rest of my gear would be gone except the receiver and Squeezebox.

2chnfornow said:
Randy said:

Hi Randy, how would you describe the overall sound of the Legacy's (bright, neutral, laid back, etc.) ?
Describing the sound one hears is like describing an Orgasm, you really have to be there to get the true effect! :teasing-tease:

2chnfornow, were you on the S&V boards? If so, what was your name there?

I don't get out much, so forgive me if we know each other!

The typical advise is to go listen to as many different speakers as you can. Then come back and see if someone has experience with that/those particular speakers.

What speakers have you liked so far?

Dennie

Dennie said:
2chnfornow said:
Randy said:

Describing the sound one hears is like describing an Orgasm, you really have to be there to get the true effect! :teasing-tease:

2chnfornow, were you on the S&V boards? If so, what was your name there?

I don't get out much, so forgive me if we know each other!

The typical advise is to go listen to as many different speakers as you can. Then come back and see if someone has experience with that/those particular speakers.

What speakers have you liked so far?

Dennie

I am registered on the S&V boards as Ecto1234. However I lost my login info for that forum some time ago and have not been able to find it. I did not post there much at all.

It's been a long time since I have been able to make a significant speaker upgrade and I wanted to get as much advice and info as I can. These will be the speakers that I expect to live with for the foreseeable future, so I want to make the best choice that I can.

Quite frankly the number choices in my price range is somewhat intimidating. There are also some brands that I have been curious about, but cannot find a local source to audition (Dynaudio Countour, Legacy, PSB Synchrony to name a few). Not to mention the large number of high end speaker companies that I have never heard of, but look like they could be interesting.

I am in no hurry to make a decision. I intend to explore as many options as I can, but input from those who have more experience than I , with a larger variety of speakers than I have heard is what I seek.

So far I have auditioned the Vandersteen 3a Signature, and the Revel Performa 32. The Revels, seemed too forward and bright, while the Vanderteens seemed too laid back. Those are initial impressions.

The journey continues...

2chnfornow said:

Well, I don't think it would do me justice to attempt to give you an accurate description of the my listening sessions with the Legacy's. They used to be built in Springfield IL @ 75 min from my house. I have been there several times and listened every time. I bought some of their cheaper electronics (pre/pro and power amp made by Proton and badged for Legacy). but, that has been several years now.

I will tell you this, I remember the Whispers as having the most amazing midrange I have ever heard. Male vocals were nothing short of amazing. The Focus were also great in nearly every sense and capable of higher SPL (or just more slam, I think due mainly to the speaker design) while still seeming to be really accurate. I have heard the Classics and several others, and they were all very good. The best way I can sum them up is they just always seemed to be incredibly accurate, or just sounded right. Not bright, not warm or laid back, just right.

This is much like an afternoon I spent with a pair of Dynaudio Special 25's driven by Krell with an Arcam Transport and D/A converter. I can't remember the details, but it was one of the closest experiences I have had to audio nirvana. This is not unlike the first time I heard a set of K-Horns as a young man in my early twenties. I don't remember the details, but that is one of the experiences that made me love this stuff.

to the best of my knowledge, they were bought several years ago by the Allen Organ Company and moved their manufacturing and distribution to Allen Pennsylvania. Bill Duddleston who is the Chief Engineer and founder of Legacy Loudspeakers still lives and works out of Springfield, but I don't think they have much left there anymore. I could be mistaken, but that is what I recall.

Back