• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Dennie said:
Dennie said:
Flint said:
WooHoo!! I finally got a copy of Nick Lowe's Labour of Lust. Long out of print, I didn't think I would ever own a copy.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/nick-low ... ust,53155/

view_image.php

Nick was at the peak of his carreer when he recorded this amazing pop album. Today they'd call it power pop.

Sweet! Did you have to give an Arm and a Leg, or just an Arm? :?:

Dennie

I just read the link and we can all have it for $13.57, it's been reissued! :dance:

Dennie

Yes, it has been reissued. I gave up on getting an original release years ago.

bf0081b0c8a017b106129110.L.jpg

Welcome To The Cruel World -- CD

Ben Harper

1994 Virgin US

Breathtaking, February 4, 2000
By Music Lover (Australia) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Welcome to the Cruel World (Audio CD)
Let me start by mentioning Geoffrey Himes, the Amazon editorial reviewer: how does one so full of his self-importance get to be a reviewer? I thought a review should be an objective look at what is on the CD, but Himes chooses to use the review as a vehicle for his own ego. Go back and have another listen to this CD, Geoffrey; this time without any preconcieved ideas or biases.

What will be heard then is a CD that is moving, thought provoking, inspirational, and brimming with talent. Himes says that Harper has modest talent. If Ben Harper is posessed with modest talent, then that leaves a great many other musicians in the unskilled bracket! I find that Harper's voice is very unusual and with great range (trying singing along Geoffrey!) and his guitar playing is brilliant without being flashy...kind of heart-felt. And the rest of his band make this CD groove on the accompanied tracks.

You must listen to this album. It is breathtaking.

1. The Three Of Us
2. Whipping Boy
3. Breakin' Down
4. Dont' Take That Attitude To Your Grave
5. Waiting On An Angel
6. Mama's Got A Girlfriend Now
7. Forever
8. Like A King
9. Pleasure And Pain
10. Walk Away
11. How Many Miles Must We March
12. Welcome To The Cruel World
13. I'll Rise

Practice, Practice, Practice.....

51lz6FiKzAL._SS500_.jpg

Miles Davis At Carnegie Hall 2 CD Set

Miles Davis

1961/1998 Columbia Records

Simply Beautiful,
September 24, 2001

By A Customer

This review is from: Miles Davis At Carnegie Hall (Audio CD)
This is a very good mono soundboard recording of (indeed) a legendary concert. Miles is at the peak of his acoustic form, the rhythm section really cooks, Gil Evans and friends add some tasteful backing, and saxophonist Hank Mobley steps out of the Coltranian shadows for his moment in the sun.

And if you're wondering why "Someday My Prince Will Come" is so short, it's because Miles walked off during a protest against the concert's organisers by Max Roach at the foot of the stage. The otherwise excellent liner notes make no mention of the incident.

* Track Listings - Disc #1

1. So What - Miles Davis, Davis, Miles
2. Spring Is Here - Miles Davis, Hart, Lorenz
3. Teo - Miles Davis, Davis, Miles
4. Walkin' - Miles Davis, Carpenter, Richard
5. Meaning of the Blues/Lament - Miles Davis, Johnson, J.J. [Trom
6. New Rhumba - Miles Davis, Jamal, Ahmad

* Track Listings - Disc #2

1. Someday My Prince Will Come - Miles Davis, Churchill, Frank
2. Oleo - Miles Davis, Rollins, Sonny
3. No Blues - Miles Davis, Davis, Miles
4. I Thought About You - Miles Davis, Mercer, Johnny
5. Concierto de Aranjuez - Miles Davis, Rodrigo, Joaquin

61bobLIm-RL.jpg

Giant Steps -- CD

John Coltrane

1960/1990 Atlantic Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Released in January 1960, John Coltrane's first album devoted entirely to his own compositions confirmed his towering command of tenor saxophone and his emerging power as a composer. Apprenticeships with Dizzy, Miles, and Monk had helped focus his furious, expansive solos, and his stamina and underlying sense of harmonic adventure brought Coltrane, at 33, to a new cusp--the polytonal "sheets of sound" that distinguished his marathon solos were offset by interludes of subtle, concise lyricism, embodied here in the tender "Naima." That classic ballad is a calm refuge from the ecstatic, high-speed runs that spark the set's up-tempo climaxes, which begin with the opening title song, itself a cornerstone of modern jazz composition. This exemplary reissue benefits from eight alternate takes of the original album's seven stellar tracks, excellent remastering of the original tapes, and an expanded annotation. --Sam Sutherland
Side one

1. "Giant Steps" – 4:43
2. "Cousin Mary" – 5:45
3. "Countdown" – 2:21
4. "Spiral" – 5:56

Side two

1. "Syeeda's Song Flute" – 7:00
2. "Naima" – 4:21
3. "Mr. P.C." (Mr. Paul Chambers) – 6:57

61v3O%2BJiKnL.jpg

Maiden Voyage -- CD

Herbie Hancock

1965/1999 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com essential recording

In the mid-'60s, a distinctive postbop style evolved among the younger musicians associated with Blue Note, a new synthesis that managed to blend the cool spaciousness of Miles Davis's modal period, some of the fire of Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers, and touches of the avant-garde's group interaction. Maiden Voyage is a masterpiece of the school, with Hancock's enduring compositions like "Maiden Voyage" and "Dolphin Dance" mingling creative tension and calm repose with strong melodies and airy, suspended harmonies that give form to his evocative sea imagery. Trumpeter Freddie Hubbard was at a creative peak, stretching his extraordinary technique to the limits in search of a Coltrane-like fluency on the heated "Eye of the Storm," while the underrated tenor saxophonist George Coleman adds a developed lyricism to the session. --Stuart Broomer

All compositions by Herbie Hancock.

1. "Maiden Voyage" – 7:53
2. "The Eye of the Hurricane" – 5:57
3. "Little One" – 8:43
4. "Survival of the Fittest" – 9:59
5. "Dolphin Dance" – 9:16

* Herbie Hancock — Piano
* Freddie Hubbard — Trumpet
* George Coleman — Tenor saxophone
* Ron Carter — Bass
* Tony Williams — drums

6178AKZBFgL.jpg

Empyrean Isles -- Remastered CD

Herbie Hancock

1965/1999 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

Pianist and composer Herbie Hancock has had a long and varied career, during which he's enjoyed both creative and commercial success, though seldom at the same time. For many listeners, his creative peak came early, on two stunning Blue Note recordings, Maiden Voyage and the less celebrated Empyrean Isles. Recorded in 1964, Empyrean Isles is the earlier of the two and also the most radical. Hancock's quartet features Freddie Hubbard substituting a cornet for his usual trumpet, and getting a more burnished, slightly warmer sound. Without the jazz-typical saxophone present, Hancock's is almost a naked band, and the single horn blurs the lines between the pianist's mood-rich compositions and improvisation. The group uses the increased sense of space for intense collective creation, with Hancock and drummer Tony Williams pressing far beyond their instruments' usual roles and engaging Hubbard in edgy, complex dialogue, while bassist Ron Carter anchors the performances. Hubbard rises to the occasion with brilliance, responding to the stimulus with a fluency of thought and execution--a daring that built on his avant-garde experience with musicians like John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, and Eric Dolphy. From the breezy "Oliloqui Valley" to the funky "Cantaloupe Island" and on to the dissonance of the extended "Egg," this is one of the most significant documents of the Blue Note style that emerged in the mid-'60s. It's music that tests the balance of control and risk, and Hubbard's is also one of the great performances by a trumpeter in modern jazz. --Stuart Broomer

Remastered 1999 release:

1. "One Finger Snap" – 7:17
2. "Oliloqui Valley" – 8:27
3. "Cantaloupe Island" – 5:30
4. "The Egg" – 13:57
5. "One Finger Snap" (alternative take) – 7:33
6. "Oliloqui Valley" (alternative take) – 10:45

* Herbie Hancock − Piano
* Freddie Hubbard − Cornet
* Ron Carter − Bass
* Tony Williams − drums

3b97228348a0097c9fc8f010.L.jpg

Midnight Blue -- CD

Kenny Burrell

1967/1999 Blue Note Records
Amazon.com

Kenny Burrell's music is a wonderful blend of elegance and conviction, musical inventiveness and thoughtful restraint. On this 1967 session, the guitarist is joined by regular associates--tenorist Stanley Turrentine, conga drummer Ray Barretto, bassist Major Holley, and drummer Bill English--and together they concentrate on the subtlest and deepest hues of the blues, combining strong rhythmic grooves with a feeling of late-night reflection. There's never a misstep or a superfluous note, from the funky Latin hit "Chitlins Con Carne" to Burrell's deeply felt solo "Soul Lament" and the concentrated swing of "Gee, Baby, Ain't I Good to You." The result is a masterpiece, and the 24-bit remastering by the original engineer, Rudy Van Gelder, adds to the spaciousness and intimacy that have always been hallmarks of the session. --Stuart Broomer

1. "Chitlins con Carne" – 5:30
2. "Mule" (Burrell, Major Holley, Jr.) – 6:56
3. "Soul Lament" – 2:43
4. "Midnight Blue" – 4:02
5. "Wavy Gravy" – 5:47
6. "Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You" (Andy Razaf, Don Redman) – 4:25
7. "Saturday Night Blues" – 6:16
8. "Kenny's Sound" (reissue bonus track) – 4:43
9. "K Twist" (reissue bonus track)– 3:36

* Kenny Burrell – guitar
* Stanley Turrentine – tenor saxophone
* Major Holley – bass
* Billy Gene English – drums
* Ray Barretto – conga

d11c81b0c8a073725b8b8110.L.jpg

Jailbreak -- CD

Thin Lizzy

1976/1990 Vertigo Records

Amazon.com

Jailbreak is surely Thin Lizzy's most exciting, tough, and touching album. Simultaneously barbarous and balletic, the 1976 set boasts the totally irresistible "The Boys Are Back in Town." But the rest of Jailbreak lives up to that highlight, especially the riotous title track ("Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak, somewhere in this town"--yeah well, the jail seems a likely place). If Phil Lynott's poetic pretensions sometimes get the better of things, most of the album shows off his effortless power and economy; if heavy rock has a tendency to wrestle each song to the ground, Lynott and company were uniquely capable of delivering the knockout punch, graceful as a boxer or bullfighter. Jailbreak is testament to such skills. --Taylor Parkes

Side one

1. "Jailbreak" – 4:01
2. "Angel from the Coast" (Lynott, Brian Robertson) – 3:03
3. "Running Back" – 3:13
4. "Romeo and the Lonely Girl" – 3:55
5. "Warriors" (Lynott, Scott Gorham) – 4:09

Side two

1. "The Boys Are Back in Town" – 4:27
2. "Fight or Fall" – 3:45
3. "Cowboy Song" (Lynott, Brian Downey)– 5:16
4. "Emerald" (Gorham, Downey, Robertson, Lynott) – 4:03

71a162e89da0f533bf2d2110.L.jpg

Straight Shooter -- CD

Bad Company

1974 Swan Song Records

Another Hot One From Bad Co., September 11, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Straight Shooter (Audio CD)

Bad Co.'s second album is as good as the first. "Good Lovin' Gone Bad" could be about any relationship, romantic or otherwise, on the rocks, "Deal With The Preacher" and "Wild Fire Woman" express pure lust, and "Shooting Star" warns against overindulgence, while "Feel Like Makin' Love" shows feeling of genuine devotion. This is an album of incredible intensity from the most straightforward English rockers of the 70s.

Side one

1. "Good Lovin' Gone Bad" (Mick Ralphs) – 3:35
2. "Feel Like Makin' Love" (Paul Rodgers, Ralphs) – 5:12
3. "Weep No More" (Simon Kirke) – 3:59
4. "Shooting Star" (Rodgers) – 6:16

Side two

1. "Deal With the Preacher" (Rodgers, Ralphs) – 5:01
2. "Wild Fire Woman" (Rodgers, Ralphs) – 4:32
3. "Anna" (Kirke) – 3:41 [6]
4. "Call on Me" (Rodgers) – 6:03

19cac060ada07501d759c110.L.jpg

Concert In The Park - August 15th, 1991 -- 2 CD Box Set

Paul Simon

1991 Warner Bros. Records

An alltime classic, May 17, 2007
By Jazz Art Design (Northern California) - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Concert in the Park (Audio CD)

There's just not enough good things to say about this album. The way he switched up all his classics such as throwing in a jazz piano interpretation of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" or the hand drumming on "Me and Julio", to the extended version of "The Coast" "Diamonds on the Souls of Her Shoes" "Proof" and "Cool Cool River" This recording is going down as one of the all time greatest live recordings in the history of American Music.
Disc 1

1. "The Obvious Child"
2. "The Boy in the Bubble"
3. "She Moves On"
4. "Kodachrome"
5. "Born at the Right Time"
6. "Train in the Distance"
7. "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard"
8. "I Know What I Know"
9. "The Cool, Cool River"
10. "Bridge over Troubled Water"
11. "Proof"

Disc 2

1. "The Coast"
2. "Graceland"
3. "You Can Call Me Al"
4. "Still Crazy After All These Years"
5. "Loves Me Like a Rock"
6. "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes"
7. "Hearts and Bones"
8. "Late in the Evening"
9. "America"
10. "The Boxer"
11. "Cecilia"
12. "The Sound of Silence"

Bonus Picture......

61fWaqkXckL.jpg

Dennie, have you seen the Central Park concert that Simon & Garfunkel did a few years back? While Paul was doing his John Lennon tribute song (The Late Great Johnny Ace), some guy rushed the stage and tried to attack him (security got to him first). Mr. Simon was pretty shook after that happened...

Botch said:
Dennie, have you seen the Central Park concert that Simon & Garfunkel did a few years back? While Paul was doing his John Lennon tribute song (The Late Great Johnny Ace), some guy rushed the stage and tried to attack him (security got to him first). Mr. Simon was pretty shook after that happened...

I didn't know that. Was that the "Old Friends" concert? I think I have the DVD of that one. Did the "incident" get filmed?

Dennie

My last one for the evening...

45c8124128a0eaabcf51c010.L.jpg

Goodbye Alice In Wonderland -- CD

Jewel

2006 Atlantic Records

Amazon.com

The word "confessional" is frequently applied to folk of all stripes, including folk-rock and folk-pop, which is where Jewel comes in. Even within the bounds of folk, however, her music is more nakedly confessional than most. (Too nakedly, some have carped.) Along with a coterie of Nashville pros, she began her latest musical journey by laying down another introspective song cycle in the vein of 1995's Pieces of You. Dissatisfied with the results, the Texas-based artist scrapped that effort and re-recorded with Rob Cavallo (Green Day). This lends her sixth album the expected rock edge, but Jewel hasn't changed her spots. If anything, she sounds more like, well, Jewel than she did on dance-oriented departure 0304. She’s still pop star ("Fragile Heart"), sensitive folkie ("Long Slow Slide"), and scrappy country gal ("Stephenville, TX"). Her Joni Mitchell-esque soprano soars as high as ever, with more of a sardonic Dylan chaser than before. What's changed is that maturity has granted Jewel, now in her early 30s, greater perspective--"Growing up is not an absence of dreaming," she states in the title track--and a sense of humor missing from her more earnest early work. On "Satellite," for instance, written when she was 18, but revamped since, she notes that "the Pope," "rock and roll," "Valium," even "Miss Cleo" can't fix her broken heart. In her statement about the album, Jewel claims that, after years of ups and downs, she's "not broken, just more myself." --Kathleen C. Fennessy

1. Again and Again
2. Long Slow Slide
3. Goodbye Alice in Wonderland
4. Good Day
5. Satellite
6. Only One Too
7. Words Get In the Way
8. Drive To You
9. Last Dance Rodeo
10. Fragile Heart
11. Stephenville, TX
12. Where You Are
13. 1000 Miles Away

07b99833e7a0b066297f1110.L.jpg

Dennie said:
I didn't know that. Was that the "Old Friends" concert? I think I have the DVD of that one. Did the "incident" get filmed?

Dennie
No, it was this one:
5122H2SGRFL._AA160_.jpg

And the incident did get filmed; I'm kinda surprised they included it on the DVD, the rest of it is so smooth...

51gsnbRWvmL._SS500_.jpg

Sweet & Wild -- Deluxe 2 CD Set

Jewel

2010 Valory Records

Jewel Sweet and Wild deluxe edition will please new and old Jewel fans!, June 8, 2010
By Porfie Medina "Porfie Jr. Medina" (Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: Sweet and Wild [Deluxe Edition] [2 CD] (Audio CD)
Jewels new album Sweet and Wild is another beautiful album from this one of a kind voice. I have been listening to Jewels music since 1995 when her first album Pieces of You was released. I have followed her on this amazing journey as I watch and listen to her grow as a artist. Now days Jewel is known as a country artist, but to me and many others (who followed her from the start) she is still Jewel with no labels like coutry, folk, or pop associated with her. Her music has always been more than just those labels. Her music crosses so many different styles its not fair to label her music. Sweet and Wild is a more personal album and is about love and happiness as Jewel herself says. The whole album is great, but the stand out tracks are Fading, What You Are, Satisfied, No More Heartaches, Bad As It Gets, and Stay Here Forever. This deluxe edition will please those early Jewel fans because it has a second CD which has the entire album in Acoustic (titled Sweet and Mild) just like old school Pieces of You Jewel. Both versions are beautiful, but the acoustic version gives a whole new life to the music. I highly suggest getting this amazing and beautiful album from this amazing artist known as Jewel.

Track Listing
Disc: 1

1. No Good In Goodbye
2. I Love You Forever
3. Fading
4. What You Are
5. As Bad As It Gets
6. Summer Home In Your Arms
7. Stay Here Forever
8. No More Heart Aches
9. One True Thing
10. Ten