• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Botch said:
Dennie said:
I didn't know that. Was that the "Old Friends" concert? I think I have the DVD of that one. Did the "incident" get filmed?

Dennie
No, it was this one:
5122H2SGRFL._AA160_.jpg

And the incident did get filmed; I'm kinda surprised they included it on the DVD, the rest of it is so smooth...

I'll keep my eye out for it, Thanks Botch!

Dennie

706a810ae7a0647ccd9b8110.L.jpg

Late For The Sky -- CD

Jackson Browne

1974/1988 Asylum Records

SIMPLY THE BEST, June 8, 1999

By A Customer
This review is from: Late for the Sky (Audio CD)

Oh my oh my, what an achingly, devastatingly, stunningly beautiful piece of work this album is. While not wishing to offend my friends in the RUNNING ON EMPTY camp, there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that LATE FOR THE SKY was, is and will always be Jackson Browne's masterpiece. Listening to it is such an sublime, tragic, raw, beautiful, purely EMOTIONAL experience. "For A Dancer", supposedly written in reaction to a friend's death (a la "Song For Adam") is the best song he's ever written--and one of the best songs ever written, period. Certainly one of the most poignant. Although "Dancer", "Fountain of Sorrow", the monumental title track, and the death-of-hippie epic "Before the Deluge" garnered the most attention, don't overlook the two songs at the end of side one--"Farther On" and "The Late Show" form a mini song cycle that entails some of the most deeply personal introspective songwriting imaginable. Even in the jaunty "throwaway" track, "Walking Slow", Jackson is thinking deep thoughts.

After twenty-five years, I could not imagine my life without this music.

All songs by Jackson Browne

1. "Late for the Sky" – 5:36
2. "Fountain of Sorrow" – 6:42
3. "Farther On" – 5:17
4. "The Late Show" – 5:09
5. "The Road and the Sky" – 3:04
6. "For a Dancer" – 4:42
7. "Walking Slow" – 3:50
8. "Before the Deluge" – 6:18

0001808a8da0a5237ebb6110.L.jpg

History - America's Greatest Hits -- CD

America

1975/1990 Warner Bros. Records

Amazon.com

This is about as treacly as pop can get, yet something about it endears and endures. Forget the Neil Youngish banality of "Horse with No Name." The best America songs feature a delicate yet intricate interplay of acoustic guitars that creates a tableau for sweeter-than-sweet vocalese. Just try not to sing along to "Ventura Highway" or "Sister Golden Hair." Try not to be suckered into sentimental reminiscence when listening to "I Need You" or the superb "Daisy Jane." And if your heart hardens when listening to the low-key lope of the "Muskrat Love," you must be cold-blooded. --Tod Nelson
Side 1

1. "A Horse With No Name" (Dewey Bunnell)
2. "I Need You" (Gerry Beckley)
3. "Sandman" (Bunnell)
4. "Ventura Highway" (Bunnell)
5. "Don't Cross The River" (Dan Peek)
6. "Only in Your Heart" (Beckley)

Side 2

1. "Muskrat Love" (Willis Alan Ramsey)
2. "Tin Man" (Bunnell)
3. "Lonely People" (Catherine Peek, Dan Peek)
4. "Sister Golden Hair" (Beckley)
5. "Daisy Jane" (Beckley)
6. "Woman Tonight" (Peek)

tron_legacy_soundtrack_daft_punk.jpg

This is one stereo recording that sounds pretty good when I flip on my Yamaha's Surround DSP. :music-listening:

This seems "just right" for a Rainy Saturday Afternoon..... :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

416BX2AS2KL._SS500_.jpg

The Living Room Tour -- 2 CD Set

Carole King

2005 Rockingale Records

Amazon.com

The Living Room Tour, a live double disc named for its spare instrumentation, arrives so well coated in the Hall of Famer's particular brand of populist, listener-loving pixie dust you half expect it to leave a glowing, sticky residue on your fingers. Radiating the maternal warmth and honesty that translated Tapestry into a 25-million seller, King sprawls comfortably (aided, probably, by the couches and coffee tables hauled onstage for these shows) into favorites like "Jazzman," "So Far Away," and "I Feel the Earth Move." Older songs made famous by other artists, including "Take Good Care of My Baby," "One Fine Day," and "Will You Love Me Tomorrow," get an unfortunate, yet effective, slice-and-dice medley treatment. Carole King devotees won't find a lot of reviews that overlook the minor vocal flaws on this latest outing, but a barrel of bum notes couldn't keep the 63-year-old legend from connecting with an audience. The intimacy-to-the-masses approach of this tour suits the early-'70s earth mother material best, and intermingled with a few recent songs, the mix soothes, reassures, and satisfies. If you haven't listened to King in a while, it's not too late, baby. --Tammy La Gorce

Disc one

1. "Welcome To My Living Room" – 1:58
2. "Peace in the Valley" – 3:42
3. "Love Makes the World" (King, Sam Hollander, Dave Schommer) – 4:23
4. "Now and Forever" – 3:18
5. "Where You Lead I Will Follow" (King, Toni Stern) – 3:24
* Duet with her daughter, Louise Goffin
6. "Lay Down My Life" – 4:20
7. "Jazzman" (King, Dave Palmer)– 4:00
8. "Smackwater Jack" (Gerry Goffin, King)– 4:12
9. "Wishful Thinking" – 4:12
10. "Medley: "Take Good Care of My Baby/"It Might As Well Rain Until September"/"Go Away Little Girl"/"I'm into Something Good"/"Hey Girl"/"One Fine Day"/"Will You Love Me Tomorrow" (Goffin, King) – 8:39

Disc two

1. "Loving You Forever" (King, (Gary Burr) – 3:32
2. "It's Too Late" (King, Stern) – 5:22
3. "So Far Away" – 4:52
4. "Sweet Seasons" (King, Stern) – 3:21
5. "Chains" (Goffin, King) – 4:09
6. "Pleasant Valley Sunday" (Goffin, King) – 3:45
7. "Being At War With Each Other" – 4:05
8. "I Feel The Earth Move" – 4:04
9. "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" (Goffin, King, Jerry Wexler)– 3:58
* Duet with her daughter, Sherry Goffin Kondor.
10. "You've Got a Friend" – 5:32
11. "The Locomotion" (Goffin, King) – 3:38

2f4292c008a014181c3c9010.L.jpg

Flying Cowboys -- CD

Rickie Lee Jones

1989 Geffen Records

A Definite "Desert Island" Disc, January 21, 2005
By Darren (Jersey Shore, NJ USA) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Flying Cowboys (Audio CD)

Although released in 1989, Flying Cowboys remains one of my favorite musical pieces in my entire collection of CDs and definitely one of the most essential in Jone's discography. It's high on my list of must haves if I was to be stranded on the immortal "desert isle".

Jones has always been a talented songwriter and always had a creative knack for telling her musical tales using vivid characters and lush musical arrangements. With some help from producer/songwriter/musician Walter Becker (from Steely Dan), she scores big on this project. The end result here is a mostly upbeat, poetic & jazzy collection of folk/pop with the exception of "Ghost Train". Although "Ghost Train" doesn't seem to fit into the mood of the whole, it is one of my favorites. It works extremely well in illustrating Jone's talent at more bluesier vocals and her overall versatility. From the ethereal "The Horses" to the calypso tinged "Love is Gonna Bring Us Back Alive", the other selections are upbeat, smoothly poetic and mildly romantic. Smooth jazz artist Vonda Shephard (from the Allie McBeal series soundtrack)and jazz great Randy Brecker also perform on a couple of selections.

For those not familiar with Rickie Lee Jones, I highly recommend Flying Cowboys.

1. "The Horses" (Walter Becker, Jones) – 4:47
2. "Just My Baby" (Jones, Pascal Nabet-Meyer) – 4:44
3. "Ghetto of My Mind" (Jones, Nabet-Meyer) – 6:12
4. "Rodeo Girl" – 4:50
5. "Satellites" – 4:54
6. "Ghost Train" – 4:16
7. "Flying Cowboys" (Sal Bernardi, Jones, Nabet-Meyer) – 5:02
8. "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" (Les Chadwick, Leo Maguire, Gerry Marsden, Freddie Marsden) – 4:13
9. "Love Is Gonna Bring Us Back Alive" (Jones, Nabet-Meyer) – 4:51
10. "Away from the Sky" – 5:30
11. "Atlas' Marker" – 5:58

51ZI2fDBEiL._SS500_.jpg

Actual Miles - Henley's Greatest Hits -- CD

Don Henley

1995 Geffen Records

Amazon.com

Just as Don Henley's work with the Eagles in the 1970s chronicled a culture that was rapidly spinning out of control, his '80s output cataloged and criticized a decade of greed, cruelty, and prurient interest in the misfortune of others. But this is music, not journalism, and despite the overt seriousness of such songs as "Dirty Laundry," "All She Wants to Do Is Dance," "The Boys of Summer," and especially the somber, elegiac "The End of the Innocence," Henley's field reports were tuneful in the extreme. The two new tracks on Actual Miles--"The Garden of Allah" and "You Don't Know Me at All"--didn't quite click, but otherwise this greatest-hits package couldn't be more solid. --Daniel Durchholz

1. "Dirty Laundry" (Henley, Danny Kortchmar) – 5:36
2. "The Boys of Summer" (Mike Campbell, Henley) – 4:45
3. "All She Wants to Do Is Dance" (Kortchmar) – 4:28
4. "Not Enough Love in the World" (Henley, Kortchmar, Benmont Tench) – 3:54
5. "Sunset Grill" (Henley, Kortchmar, Tench) – 6:22
6. "The End of the Innocence" (Henley, Bruce Hornsby) – 5:14
7. "The Last Worthless Evening" (John Corey, Henley, Stan Lynch) – 6:05
8. "New York Minute" (Henley, Kortchmar, Jai Winding) – 6:34
9. "I Will Not Go Quietly" (Henley, Kortchmar) – 5:41
10. "The Heart of the Matter" (Campbell, Henley, J.D. Souther) – 5:21
11. "The Garden of Allah" (Corey, Paul Gurian, Henley, Lynch) – 7:03
12. "You Don't Know Me at All" (Corey, Henley, Lynch) – 5:36
13. "Everybody Knows" (Leonard Cohen, Sharon Robinson) – 6:10

(Early pressings did not list track 13 at all on the packaging or disc art, even though it was included on the CD. The packaging of subsequent pressings corrected this, although it is not known whether the omission was intentional, due to a last-minute addition of the track, superstition, or other reasons.)

:text-goodpost: "Sunset Grill" is a f*&$ing incredible track! I gotta dig that out tonight! :text-bravo:

Botch said:
:text-goodpost: "Sunset Grill" is a f*&$ing incredible track! I gotta dig that out tonight! :text-bravo:

:text-+1:

"Down at the Sunset Grill" :music-rockout:

Let's go down to the Sunset Grill
We can watch the working girls go by
Watch the "basket people" walk around and mumble
And stare out at the auburn sky
There's an old man there from the Old World
To him, it's all the same
Calls all his customers by name
Down at the Sunset Grill
Down at the Sunset Grill
Down at the Sunset Grill
Down at the Sunset Grill
You see a lot more meanness in the city
It's the kind that eats you up inside
Hard to come away with anything that feels
like dignity
Hard to get home with any pride
These days a man makes you somethin'
And you never see his face
But there is no hiding place
Down at the Sunset Grill
Down at the Sunset Grill
Down at the Sunset Grill
Down at the Sunset Grill
Respectable little murders pay
They get more respectable every day
Don't worry girl, I'm gonna stick by you
And someday soon we're gonna get in that
car and get outta here
Let's go down to the Sunset Grill
Watch the working girls go by
Watch the "basket people" walk around and mumble
And gaze out at the auburn sky
Maybe we'll leave come springtime
Meanwhile, have another beer
What would we do without these jerks anyway?
Besides, all our friends are here
Down at the Sunset Grill
Down at the Sunset Grill
Down at the Sunset Grill
Down at the Sunset Grill

It is a fun album! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

What I love on "Sunset" is the fretless bass part by Pino Pallidino (sp?). Tasty as hell. ;)

EDIT: I have the Henley disc "on deck" but the PBS stations, for their fund drive, are featuring big bands and the Motown vocal harmony groups, hard to turn it off! :text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo:

Botch said:
What I love on "Sunset" is the fretless bass part by Pino Pallidino (sp?). Tasty as hell. ;)

EDIT: I have the Henley disc "on deck" but the PBS stations, for their fund drive, are featuring big bands and the Motown vocal harmony groups, hard to turn it off! :text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo:
Don't turn off PBS for something Prerecorded. :angry-tappingfoot:

...and you've got to love Motown! Great, Great Music! :dance:

Dennie

I'm tempted to send them $150 and get the 4-CD set of Big Band music; with what the Republicans are trying to do to them they need some help... :|

EDIT 2: This program is being hosted by a rather distinguished gentleman who I didn't recognize, until his female cohost asked him to do "the Pose"...

:scared-eek:

It's Bowzer, from Sha Na Na! :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :text-lol:

804ee03ae7a0e75ca92ac110.L.jpg

Look What I Did - The Joe Walsh Anthology -- 2 CD Box Set

Joe Walsh

1995 MCA Records

Life's Been Good, December 22, 2005
By Disciple (FL) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Look What I Did (Anthology) (Audio CD)

A re-mastered gathering of classic rock masterpieces and obscure rockers. Walsh's finest and well worth the price. Don't look for Eagles stuff because you won't find any. The long and complete version of "The Bomber" epitomizes his skills of brilliance. This is a must have for any serious classic rock music fan.

Disc 1

1. "Tuning, Part 1" (James Fox, Bert DeCoteaux, Bill Szymczyk) – 0:40
2. "Take A Look Around" – 5:55
3. "Funk #48" (Walsh, Fox, Tom Kriss) – 2:46
4. "The Bomber (Original Complete Version)" (Walsh, Dale Peters, Fox, Vince Guaraldi, Ravel) – 7:02
5. "Tend My Garden" – 5:29
6. "Funk #49" (Walsh, Peters, Fox) – 3:56
7. "Ashes, The Rain & I" (Walsh, Peters) – 4:57
8. "Walk Away" – 3:33
9. "It's All the Same" – 4:11
10. "Midnight Man" – 3:29
11. "Here We Go" – 4:58
12. "Midnight Visitor" – 3:09
13. "Mother Says" – 5:53
14. "Turn To Stone" (Walsh, Terry Trebandt) – 5:15
15. "Comin' Down" – 1:52
16. "Meadows" – 4:37
17. "Rocky Mountain Way" (Walsh, Joe Vitale, Kenny Passarelli) – 5:40

Disc 2

1. "Welcome To The Club" – 5:09
2. "All Night Laundry Mat Blues" – 1:00
3. "County Fair" – 6:44
4. "Help Me Thru The Night" – 3:37
5. "Life's Been Good" – 8:03
6. "Over And Over" – 4:49
7. "All Night Long" – 3:32
8. "A Life Of Illusion" – 3:30
9. "Theme From Island Weirdos" (Walsh, Vitale) – 3:20
10. "I Can Play That Rock & Roll" – 3:02
11. "I.L.B.T.'s" (Walsh, Vitale) – 2:52
12. "Space Age Whiz Kids" (Walsh, Vitale) – 3:41
13. "Rosewood Bitters" (Michael Stanley) – 3:28
14. "Shut Up" – 3:15
15. "Decades" – 12:13
16. "Song For A Dying Planet" – 2:01
17. "Ordinary Average Guy [Live]" – 6:03

Bonus Picture.....

bb40024128a0d9ee5e5de010.L.jpg

Botch said:
I'm tempted to send them $150 and get the 4-CD set of Big Band music; with what the Republicans are trying to do to them they need some help... :|
It's a good way to support PBS and get some great music.

Seems win=win to me! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

Don_Henley_-_Building_the_Perfect_Beast.jpg

Don_Henley_-_The_End_of_the_Innocence.jpg

Don_Henley_-_Inside_Job.jpg

We were painting a Skylite Chase in our Kitchen and decided to put on some tunes, the wife said "keep it mellow, but not too mellow". Oh well some Don Henley.......brought back some good memories. Probably will not listen to these for a few more years!!

heeman said:
Don_Henley_-_Building_the_Perfect_Beast.jpg

Don_Henley_-_The_End_of_the_Innocence.jpg

Don_Henley_-_Inside_Job.jpg

We were painting a Skylite Chase in our Kitchen and decided to put on some tunes, the wife said "keep it mellow, but not too mellow". Oh well some Don Henley.......brought back some good memories. Probably will not listen to these for a few more years!!

I know exactly what you're saying. I've got plenty of music that I can only listen to every couple of years. But it's nice to have when I do get around to listening to it again!

Dennie

6bb8024128a00c695cfbe010.L.jpg

The Wall -- 2 CD Box Set

Pink Floyd

1979 Columbia Records

Amazon.com Essential Recording

The Wall is less a collection of songs than a single work, which is sometimes frustrating; the plot lacks enough coherence to hold the snippets of music together. However, there are occasional flashes of brilliance on what ranks as Pink Floyd's most ambitious project. Most of these come from the fully developed songs, which have become classics in their own right. "Hey You," "Mother," and especially "Comfortably Numb" are subtle, incredible pieces of music. Though complex, they move at a relaxed pace, allowing the listener to absorb them slowly; this kind of pacing was something Pink Floyd excelled at. Also worth noting is the "Another Brick in the Wall/The Happiest Days of Our Lives" medley, which has become a staple of rock radio. --Genevieve Williams

Side one
No. Title Writer(s) Lead vocals Length
1. "In the Flesh?" Waters 3:19
2. "The Thin Ice" Gilmour, Waters 2:27
3. "Another Brick in the Wall Part 1" Waters 3:21
4. "The Happiest Days of Our Lives" Waters 1:46
5. "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2" Gilmour, Waters 4:00
6. "Mother" Waters, Gilmour 5:36
Side two
1. "Goodbye Blue Sky" Gilmour 2:45
2. "Empty Spaces" Waters 2:10
3. "Young Lust" Waters, Gilmour Gilmour 3:25
4. "One of My Turns" Waters 3:35
5. "Don't Leave Me Now" Waters 4:16
6. "Another Brick in the Wall Part 3" Waters 1:14
7. "Goodbye Cruel World" Waters 1:13
Side three
1. "Hey You" Gilmour, Waters 4:40
2. "Is There Anybody Out There?" Waters 2:44
3. "Nobody Home" Waters 3:26
4. "Vera" Waters 1:35
5. "Bring the Boys Back Home" Waters 1:21
6. "Comfortably Numb" Gilmour, Waters Waters, Gilmour 6:24
Side four
1. "The Show Must Go On" Gilmour 1:36
2. "In the Flesh" Waters 4:13
3. "Run Like Hell" Gilmour, Waters Waters 4:19
4. "Waiting for the Worms" Waters, Gilmour 4:04
5. "Stop" Waters 0:30
6. "The Trial" Waters, Ezrin Waters 5:13
7. "Outside the Wall" Waters 1:41

51ZI2fDBEiL._SS500_.jpg

I had forgotten just HOW GOOD Don is. What a great collection! :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

6bb8024128a00c695cfbe010.L.jpg

I listened to this double album in its entirety every single night, on headphones, my junior year in college.
That may explain a few things...

51gILPM6WFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is a must see!

The video quality is excellent..........the audio is excellent (unbelievable on the 5.1, I am so siked that we did this upgrade).

Billy and the band were just incredible!

Shea Stadium was packed!!

(I am a little biased after growing up on Long Island, NY and seeing the Mets and Jets play at Shea many times)

Back