• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Donald-Fagen-The-Nightfly-394917.jpg

:music-listening:

51ZB%2B4EzVyL._SS500_.jpg

TELARC - 2010 release

from a review ~
"It's the ideal project for the architect of a sparse and hypnotic style that has come to be known as "trance blues." Taylor has spent his career crafting songs that are wide open to interpretation -- thematically as well as structurally. "I give people a starting point, and then they can take it where they want to take it," he explains. "That's true for the people playing my music as well as the people listening to it. That's how art should be. A person looking at a painting should be able to interpret it in whatever way he wants. The more words you put into a song, the less freedom the listener has to decide what it means."

[some good blues guitar on this disc]

garypf said:
Yo Yo Ma SACD

MI0001056258.jpg

Thanks for the tip on Silk Road - listened to it this afternoon, very enjoyable. Not for everyone, I guess, as this is (IMHO) sort of at the frontier of classical-heritage music, the border between western classical tradition and eastern folk tradition. Wow, that Mongolian long chanter woman is pretty amazing! Some of the other stuff is so "modern" it's is a bit over my head - like the one with the prepared piano a-la-John Cage, but still interesting.

Actually a pretty good demo surround SACD, though. Very well recorded.

If you like this one, I'd suggest Bela Fleck's Throw Down Your Heart - same sort of deal, except with African folk tradition, tracing the heritage of the banjo. Different style but equally compelling.

throwdown-your-heart.jpg

As far as I know, it's only on CD. They were recording out in the bush for a lot of it, probably not the ideal place for a full surround studio mic system. ;)

CS470888-01A-BIG.jpg

Lark's Tongue in Aspic!

I ordered this a LONG time ago, it finally arrived (I'd actually forgotten about it). Another Steven Wilson remix, 5.1 DVD-A. The two Surround options on the main menu are DTS 5.1 and "MLP 5.1 Lossless", which I haven't heard of before. :think:
This is a Crim album I've not ever heard, so it'll be fun! :banana-dance:

Botch said:
CS470888-01A-BIG.jpg

Lark's Tongue in Aspic!

I ordered this a LONG time ago, it finally arrived (I'd actually forgotten about it). Another Steven Wilson remix, 5.1 DVD-A. The two Surround options on the main menu are DTS 5.1 and "MLP 5.1 Lossless", which I haven't heard of before. :think:
This is a Crim album I've not ever heard, so it'll be fun! :banana-dance:

Let me know how you like this one and how it compares to their other stuff...............

There is a guy on here that I let barrow one of their concerts......I wonder if he has watched it yet?????

heeman said:
There is a guy on here that I let barrow one of their concerts......I wonder if he has watched it yet?????

What kinda louse would take so long on something like that? Geez. :eusa-whistle:

PaulyT said:
heeman said:

What kinda louse would take so long on something like that? Geez. :eusa-whistle:

No rush, just found an opportunity to remind you that you still have it!!

Darian Sahanaja with a cover version of "Do You Have Any Regrets?". Or at least that's who it's supposed to be. It probably is. Regardless, it gives a really nice "Wondermintsy" type of retro sound to an otherwise less than stellar Brian Wilson composition.

1319513.jpg

I probably shouldn't be sharing this...

But let me make things clear: I put Maroon 5 into the whole "It's half decent radio background noise, but stuff I (normally) wouldn't buy" category. And now that lead singer Adam Levine is on The Voice, he loses street cred because he probably has lots of housewives gushing over him. And what's worse is that the band has essentially dropped their neo-Soul sound in favor of synthetic, canned dance tracks. That means Maroon 5 is now kind of like George Clooney singing music by Justin Timberlake. That said... I do like catchy music. And the first three tracks "One More Night", "Payphone", and "Daylight" do have a nice beat. So when I saw that I could download the whole album for a mere $3.00 bucks, I figured why the heck not.

Besides, if Adam Levine is cool enough for The Lonely Island then maybe he ain't that bad.

61wMdEsUUGL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Did some research Botch. MLP is Merdian Lossless Packing or PPCM, the standard for DVD--Audio. According to Wikipedia, all DVD-Audio players have an MLP decoder. MLP was developed by Meridien Audio, the high-end audio manufacturer.

Ordered this today from Amazon. CD+DVD-Audio. I don't already own this album. Debated buying Discipline in the same format but already own it in vinyl.

Attachments

• Crimson.jpg
    Crimson.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 461
Also ordered today from Amazon. SACD. Read rave reviews about the quality.

Attachments

• Peach.jpg
    Peach.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 461
gary...

Yep! Eat a Peach is pretty darn good! Also, the Allman's SACD of their "At The Fillmore East" live album has a great 5.1 ambient surround mix with great sound quality. If you decide to go looking for it, though, be careful to make sure it's the version that has a 5.1 multichannel mix. My SACD came out in maybe 2003/2004, but it looks like there is a new/upcoming SACD release that Acoustic Sounds shows as a preorder, and I worry the new one might be stereo-only.

^^^
^^^
As for King Crimson. Do you have the DVD-Audio of "Lizard"? I really like the 5.1 surround mix on that one.

Back