• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

51FKHmeMUVL.jpg

(2001) - - various artists

An excellent tribute album (cd) to the acoustic delta blues of Mississippi John Hurt

~ ~ :handgestures-thumbup:

Kazaam said:
Have fun experimenting!

If I recall correctly... I once converted a 48/24 FLAC file to Apple Lossless BUT I'm sure I did it the hard way. FLAC in Media Monkey to WAV. Then WAV to Apple Lossless in iTunes. But I think I down-rezzed the file to 44.1/16-bit since I didn't think my first-generation Airport Express would stream hi-rez. Or maybe it down-rezzed it automatically? I can't remember. Also, no idea if new models or if the Apple TV can steam hi-rez. But I hope they can, either now or in the near future.

I was able to use dBpoweramp to go right from FLAC to Apple Lossless and it retained 96/24. However, AppleTV outputs everything at 48 kHz (including lossless CD rips at 44.1 kHz) and my SB3 / Logitech Media Server shit the bed (had to reboot the computer) trying to handle the hi-rez FLAC (that could've been the fault of my ancient laptop running WinXP - wikipedia mentions 96kHz support for the SB Touch).

images

I listened to this a couple times when I got it, years ago, and it got tucked away. Dug it out tonight, and I need to put this into higher rotation; there's a lot going on here... :eek:

Today's free Google Play MP3 of the day was "California Love" by 2Pac. I was never big into Tupac back in the day, but I always liked this particular groove. And maybe nostalgia is kicking in a little bit, too. So, of course, I downloaded it.

d061228348a01d54bb2ed010.L._SX300_.jpg

Dwight Yoakam's new one. "3 Pears".

It's dang good music. Right up there with the best of his stuff, IMO. (Like he's ever made anything truly bad!) That said... there's something about the way this album sounds. What I mean is that the music lets loose plenty, but yet it always sounds somehow restrained to my ears. I dunno. Maybe it's all just my imagination. Great music, regardless! Can't hardly say that enough.

41HmR9GKEGL._S3130_.jpg

41bRIGa1q4L.jpg

Nice to see that they classify his music as Funk Rock!!! :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Yea Baby.... :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-rock: :banana-rock:

41ZsWDiEvfL._SY300_.jpg

A friend loaned this one to me, pretty interesting, listening to it now for the first time. Sorta vaguely Mumford and Sons-ish, acoustic instruments, vocal harmonies, kinda folksy feel.

Kazaam said:
heeman said:
garypf said:
Been listening to this one lately.

:text-bravo:

Pardon my ignorance, but... what album is that? And what kind of music is it? (I couldn't make out what Gary's picture said.)

King Crimson - Beat. Progressive rock mainly from 70's-80's.

PaulyT said:
41ZsWDiEvfL._SY300_.jpg

A friend loaned this one to me, pretty interesting, listening to it now for the first time. Sorta vaguely Mumford and Sons-ish, acoustic instruments, vocal harmonies, kinda folksy feel.

That's the impression I get, too. Not that I own it yet. But I've been seeing that album a lot lately in online stores. Like only in the last couple of weeks now. Must be fairly popular, I suppose.

PaulyT said:
Kazaam said:
Pardon my ignorance, but... what album is that? And what kind of music is it? (I couldn't make out what Gary's picture said.)

King Crimson - Beat. Progressive rock mainly from 70's-80's.

Uh-oh... I've outed myself as just a very casual (and fairly ignorant) King Crimson fan. :angelic-green:

But I actually do have a couple of their earliest albums. And I would've recognized Red, too. I guess they just have way more stuff than I've ever bothered to explore.

Yeah, I tend to like their earlier stuff better; I think their first is still my favorite.

CS407492-01A-BIG.jpg

But I don't have anywhere near all their albums - like you say, they have a lot.

Now on to a recommendation from Batman - I like it! Folk rock from Iceland, cool. Good recording quality too, actually.

omam_album_tumblr.jpg

The discography of King Crimson consists of 13 studio albums, 25 live albums, 8 compilation albums, 3 extended plays (EPs), 14 singles and 6 video albums.

Studio albums

In the Court of the Crimson King (1969)
In the Wake of Poseidon (1970)
Lizard (1970)
Islands (1971)
Larks' Tongues in Aspic (1973)
Starless and Bible Black (1974)
Red (1974)
Discipline (1981)
Beat (1982)
Three of a Perfect Pair (1984)
THRAK (1995)
The ConstruKction of Light (2000)
The Power to Believe (2003)

Info above comes from Wikipedia

Kazaam said:
Today's free Google Play MP3 of the day was "California Love" by 2Pac. I was never big into Tupac back in the day, but I always liked this particular groove. And maybe nostalgia is kicking in a little bit, too. So, of course, I downloaded it.

d061228348a01d54bb2ed010.L._SX300_.jpg

That's a good song. Like you, not a Tupac fan, but this is one of those songs that just begs to be cranked!

heeman said:
The discography of King Crimson consists of 13 studio albums, 25 live albums, 8 compilation albums, 3 extended plays (EPs), 14 singles and 6 video albums.

Studio albums

In the Court of the Crimson King (1969)
In the Wake of Poseidon (1970)
Lizard (1970)
Islands (1971)
Larks' Tongues in Aspic (1973)
Starless and Bible Black (1974)
Red (1974)
Discipline (1981)
Beat (1982)
Three of a Perfect Pair (1984)
THRAK (1995)
The ConstruKction of Light (2000)
The Power to Believe (2003)

Info above comes from Wikipedia
My introduction to the Crim was the third lineup, the quartet of Fripp/Belew/Levin/Bruford, beginning with Discipline. I could've sworn it was SNL, but it was a show called Friday's, and they played Elephant Talk. My jaw hit the floor, I'd never seen/heard anything like that before, never seen a Chapman Stick, never seen anyone abuse a Strat like that before, never seen high-speed arpeggios as Fripp was doing. I bought the album the next morning. It's one of the 3 or 4 albums that have changed me, deeply.

50 Bonus BotchPoints™ to the first person to identify the pattern in the verses; and you will rarely see Fripp smile. Ladies and Gentlemen, Elephant Talk:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTQrlDzqUCA[/youtube]

:music-rockout:

Back