• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

blakeyartthejazzmesseng.jpg

A Night In Tunisia -- CD

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers

1960/1989 Blue Note Records

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers met their artistic peak with the powerful A NIGHT IN TUNISIA. This incarnation of the group included Lee Morgan, Wayne Shorter, Bobby Timmons and Jymie Merritt with their leader Blakey. As the Messengers entered their most fruitful period for Blue Note, Blakey drove his men relentlessly with powerful grooves, heavy swinging and shouts of encouragement. This session documents the full power of his assertive leadership and the masterful playing of his sidemen, each rising to legendary status under his tutelage.Long known for their creative arrangements within the context of small group jazz, the Messengers push the definition of hardbop and blues to the limit here. Dizzy Gillespie's title track is evidence enough of the creative power of this group: Blakey's steam shovel-like mambo, Morgan and Shorter's wailing solos and a dramatic ending make for a stunning piece. Shorter's contribution includes the swinging "Sincerely Diana," presented in two takes here. The soulful Bobby Timmons presents his delightful "So Tired," a bluesy number in the spirit of his classic "Dat Dere." Also included are Lee Morgan's smoky "Yama," the bouncing "Kozo's Waltz" and the classic "When Your Lover Has Gone."

Track Listing
1. Night in Tunisia, A
2. Sincerely Diana
3. Sincerely Diana - (previously unreleased, alternate take, CD only)
4. So Tired
5. Yama
6. Kozo's Waltz
7. When Your Lover Has Gone - (previously unreleased, CD only)

Full performer name: Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers.Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers: Art Blakey (drums); Wayne Shorter (tenor saxophone); Lee Morgan (trumpet); Bobby Timmons (piano); Jymie Merritt (bass).Producer: Alfred Lion.Reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna.Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on August 7 & 14, 1960. Includes liner notes by Barbara J. Gardner.

9d82b220dca080e2bb176010.L.jpg

Extra Mile -- CD

Shenandoah

1990 Columbia Records

Outstanding follow-up to brilliant second album January 12, 2005
By Peter Durward Harris HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWER
Format:Audio CD

As things turned out, Shenandoah's second and third albums were by far their most successful. Their manager didn't like their original name and suggested two alternative names. Columbia (their record label) opted for Shenandoah but this name caused a lot of legal trouble because others had already copyrighted the name.

Their first album, simply titled Shenandoah, made limited impact but their second, Road not taken, included the major country hits Two dozen roses, Mama knows, Sunday in the south, Church on Cumberland road and several other great songs. This one matched - perhaps even surpassed - that impressive effort, but they never again matched these two fine efforts. Columbia, having chosen the name Shenandoah, refused to support the legal case and dropped them.

Here, you will find the original versions of several major country hits including Next to you next to me, Moon over Georgia, Ghost in this house and I got you, together with many other fine songs including She makes the coming home worth the being gone and Putting new roots down. The group clearly demonstrated its ability to sing fun, lightweight songs and romantic ballads with equal brilliance. It really looked as if they were set for a long period at the top, possibly replacing Alabama as the premier country group but the legal wrangle over their choice of name had taken its toll, even though they won their case.

Despite their legal troubles, they recovered sufficiently to have further big country hits with RCA and Capitol, most notably Somewhere in the vicinity of your heart (with Alison Krauss).

This album is definitely worth searching for if you enjoy country music of the early nineties, although the big hits from this album and Road not taken are available on Super hits.

1. Next To You, Next To Me
2. Ghost In This House
3. She Makes The Coming Home (Worth The Being Gone)
4. She's A Natural
5. I Got You
6. Puttin' New Roots Down
7. When You Were Mine
8. Goin' Down With My Pride
9. The Moon Over Georgia
10. Daddy's Little Man

Personnel: Marty Raybon (vocals); Jim Seales (guitar); Stan Thorn (keyboards); Ralph Ezell (bass guitar); Mike McGuire (drums).Recording information: Fame Recording Studio, Muscle Shoals, AL.Photographer: Señor McGuire.

here-for-a-good-time.jpg

Here For A Good Time -- CD

George Strait

2011 MCA Nashville

Guess we are both getting long in the tooth, December 14, 2012
By F. Roberts - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This album is still classic country King George, but with a slower pace. Introspective songs. Maturity. Transitions. Lessons learned, both the good and hard ones. George is not a young man anymore at age sixty-one. But then, many fans who have followed him for years aren't so young either. Thankfully, unlike many Grand Ol Opry performers who are still trying too hard not to look or embrace their age, George seems to be taking the miles traveled with grace and acceptance. That said, the man can still put on one helluva show! No glitz or raucous acts. No trendy fashion statements. Just darned good music that makes a person want to get up and dance, or even shed a tear or two. The man is a true original.

Track Listing
1. Love's Gonna Make It Alright
2. Drinkin' Man
3. Shame on Me
4. Poison
5. Here for a Good Time
6. House Across the Bay
7. Lone Star Blues
8. Showman's Life, A - (featuring Faith Hill)
9. Three Nails and a Cross
10. Blue Marlin Blues
11. I'll Always Remember You

Personnel: George Strait (vocals); Ilya Toshinsky, Steve Gibson , Brent Mason (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Stuart Duncan (mandolin, fiddle); Matt Rollings (piano, Hammond b-3 organ, Wurlitzer organ); Steve Nathan (piano, Hammond b-3 organ, synthesizer); Glenn Worf (upright bass); Eddie Bayers (drums); Faith Hill, Chris Stapleton, Tom Flora, Wes Hightower, Marty Slayton (background vocals).Audio Mixer: Chuck Ainlay.Recording information: Backstage, Sound Stage Studios, Nashville, TN; Shrimpboat Sound Studio, Key West, FL.Photographers: Terry Calonge; Vanessa Gavalya; Kelley Fromme-May.George Strait co-wrote seven of the eleven songs (sharing credits with Dean Dillon, Bobby Boyd, and his son, Bubba Strait) on Here for a Good Time, his 39th studio album, which was co-produced by Strait and Tony Brown and recorded at Jimmy Buffett's Shrimpboat Sound Studio in Key West, Florida.

Dennie said:
9d82b220dca080e2bb176010.L.jpg

Extra Mile -- CD

Shenandoah

1990 Columbia Records

I never was a Shenandoah fan, but now looking back they weren't so bad. A quick look at YouTube tells me that I actually remember some of their music. What's more... I suppose these guys were amongst the last of the actual bands that came out of the 80s (and maybe late 70s) as far as country music was concerned. After Garth Brooks in the early 90s, it seemingly became only solo acts that were all the rage. Not technically true, but kind of felt that way---to me, at least.

Alabama
Sawyer Brown
Southern Pacific
Restless Heart
and probably a few other fantastic country groups of the 80s.

and just for good measure even though they're more of vocal groups...
The Oak Ridge Boys
The Statlers (that Elizabeth sure must be purty!)

Today's work truck music...

756cc060ada08440f5fbc110.L.jpg

Temptation -- CD

Shelby Lynne

1995 Morgan Creek Records

Amazon.com

Only after leaving Nashville did Shelby Lynne reinvent herself as a soulful R&B singer. During her Music City days of the early '90s, she gained critical raves that didn't translate into wider success. One reason was this fetching 1993 Nashville-produced album of big-band Western swing, produced by Brent Maher, which appeared long before the words swing revival crossed anyone's lips. It revealed Lynne's assets in a stronger showcase than her earlier Epic recordings. She's radiant and sensual on the torchy "Little Unlucky at Love," but the uninhibited swing tunes, including her explosive performance of the title number, defined the album. She maintained that finger-popping momentum with "Some of That True Love" and "The Rain Might Wash Your Love Away." Lynne turned seductress on "Tell Me I'm Crazy" and honky-tonker on "I Need a Heart to Come Home To," the album's most overtly country number. Now that Lynne's gained wider exposure, it's worth remembering that pushing the envelope is nothing new for her. --Rich Kienzle

"Temptation" (Shelby Lynne, Brent Maher, Jamie O'Hara) – 3:04
"Feelin' Kind of Lonely Tonight" (Maher, O'Hara) – 3:00
"Tell Me I'm Crazy" (Rory Michael Bourke, Mike Reid) – 3:44
"Little Unlucky at Love" (Maher, O'Hara) – 3:01
"Some of That True Love" (Lynne, Maher, O'Hara) – 2:47
"The Rain Might Wash Your Love Away" (Maher, Don Potter, Don Schlitz) – 4:34
"Don't Cry for Me" (Maher) – 2:43
"I Need a Heart to Come Home To" (John Jarvis, Russell Smith) – 4:20
"Come a Little Closer" (Maher, O'Hara) – 3:15
"Where Do We Go from Here" (Maher, Potter, Reid) – 3:38

Today's work truck music....

71jVVR1zD3L.jpg

Greatest Hits -- CD

Janis Joplin

1973/1990 Columbia Records

Amazon.com essential recording

More than Cheap Thrills or even Pearl, Greatest Hits has helped keep Janis Joplin's short-lived recording career alive for listeners who came along after her 1970 death. "Me and Bobby McGee" is the biggest draw, of course--it was a posthumous No. 1 single--but the rest is equally exciting. Despite the familiarity of the titles here, this goes far beyond the merely serviceable. Finally, the cover photo of Janis smiling in a sunny park is as poignant a shot of her as exists. --Rickey Wright

"Piece of My Heart" (Bert Berns, Jerry Ragovoy) – 4:14
"Summertime" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin, Dubose Heyward) – 4:02
"Try (Just a Little Bit Harder)" (Ragovoy, Chip Taylor) – 3:57
"Cry Baby" (Bert Berns, Ragovoy) – 4:00
"Me and Bobby McGee" (Fred Foster, Kris Kristofferson) – 4:34
"Down on Me" (Janis Joplin) – 3:09
"Get It While You Can" (Ragovoy, Mort Shuman) – 3:27
"Bye, Bye Baby" (Powell St. John) – 2:37
"Move Over" (Joplin) – 3:44
"Ball and Chain" (Big Mama Thornton) – 7:59

2f18eb6709a06854eafa2110.L.jpg

August and Everything After -- CD

Counting Crows

1993 Geffen Records

Crows Fly High, December 21, 2000
By Thomas Magnum (NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER) (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: August & Everything After (Audio CD)

August & Everything After is the amazing debut from Counting Crows. They mix the lyrical stylings of Van Morrison and the rustic sounds of The Band with a dash of U2 thrown in for good measure. But despite these obvious influences, they band has a fresh and unique sound all their own. Adam Duritz uses a sharp pen in his writing and he has one of the most soulful and expressive voices in music. He practically bleeds on songs like somber "Round Here", the condemning of suburban life of "Perfect Blue Buildings" and the gorgeous and lilting "Sullivan Street". "Anna Begins" is a sweet love song and "Rain King" has a soaring sound to it. "Murder Of One" closes the album in a U2-esque, spiritual like rocker. "Mr. Jones" was the breakout song from the album and the one that gained the band large airplay. It is an immediate classic with a memorable guitar riff and vivid lyrics. Mr. Duritz says he wants to Bob Dylan in the song and he comes *** close on the song. The album was an alternative to the alternative music that dominated the airways at the time. The album was heaped with well-deserved praise, as it is one of the ten best of the 90's.

All tracks written by Adam Duritz unless otherwise indicated.

"Round Here" (Duritz, Dave Janusko, Dan Jewett, Chris Roldan, David Bryson) – 5:32
"Omaha" – 3:40
"Mr. Jones" (Duritz, Bryson) – 4:33
"Perfect Blue Buildings" – 5:01
"Anna Begins" (Duritz, Bryson, Marty Jones, Toby Hawkins, Lydia Holly) – 4:32
"Time and Time Again" (Duritz, Bryson, Charlie Gillingham, Steve Bowman, Don Dixon) – 5:13
"Rain King" (Duritz, Bryson) – 4:16
"Sullivan Street" (Duritz, Bryson) – 4:29
"Ghost Train" – 4:01
"Raining in Baltimore" – 4:41
"A Murder of One" (Duritz, Bryson, Matt Malley) – 5:44

51MCNZnwnYL._SS500_.jpg

Back In The High Life -- CD

Steve Winwood

1986 Island Records

Smash album deserves its Grammys and its worldwide success
, May 21, 2000
By Don Nunn (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back in the High Life (Audio CD)

This was the album that cemented my admiration for Steve Winwood. It was the album that introducted me to Winwood's solo work, as "Higher Love" and "Back In The High Life Again" each hit the Top Ten in the U.S.

The tracks fit well together, and each track is a work of art by itself. This album was a worldwide smash and cemented Winwood's position among the great solo artists, and is among my favorite albums by any artist. Winwood received a total of three Grammys for this album, each well-deserved.

If you decide to sample just one of Winwood's solo albums, this is the one to try. It's definitely a mainstream work, unlike Winwood's earlier solo albums, which were more showcases of Winwood's engineering talent. Those albums are great too, but this one best defines his solo career, the mix of talent and hard work that makes him a success.

All songs written by Steve Winwood and Will Jennings except where noted

"Higher Love" – 5:45
"Take It as It Comes" – 5:20
"Freedom Overspill" – 5:33 (Winwood, George Fleming, James Hooker)
"Back in the High Life Again " – 5:33
"The Finer Things" – 5:47
"Wake Me Up on Judgment Day" – 5:48
"Split Decision" – 5:58 (Winwood, Joe Walsh)
"My Love's Leavin'" – 5:19 (Winwood, Viv Stanshall)

41WJ99ZTSRL.jpg

A Billy Strayhorn Songbook -- CD

Various Artists

1997 Concord Special Products

Track Listing
1. Take the "A" Train - Ray Brown Trio
2. Lotus Blossom - Kenny Burrell
3. Blood Count - Shorty Rogers/Bud Shank
4. Day Dream - Jim McNeely/Phil Woods
5. Chelsea Bridge - Lew Tabackin Quartet
6. Passion Flower - Tito Puente
7. Rain Check - Marian McPartland
8. Something to Live For - The Howard Alden Trio
9. All Heart - Frank Capp/Nat Pierce/The Frankie Capp
10. Lush Life - Jesse Davis

Dennie said:
613rtNnaBzL.jpg

Diane Schuur & The Count Basie Orchestra -- CD

1987 GRP Records

A great vocalist matched with a great jazz orchestra April 18, 2002
By Bruce Hodges

This was one of Diane Schuur's first recordings and is still one of my favorites. It displays the phenomenal agility of her voice in ways that some of her subsequent recordings have not. She has a powerful, brassy instrument - so much so that some of my friends don't care for her, saying she sounds like she's screaming. (I disagree. If this is screaming, then please get right up close to my ear and do so.)

My favorite track is, without a doubt, "You Can Have It," a feverishly catchy tune written for Ms. Schuur, presumably to show off what she can do. It certainly succeeds. By the end of the song both she and the band are in jazz heaven, with Schuur scat-singing effortlessly, and then pulling out all the stops as her astonishing voice climbs a series of ascending scales. The arrangement, like all the others on the disc, is as classy a big-band sound as you will find anywhere. Other highlights are "I Just Found Out About Love" with its brassy syncopations, and a gorgeous rendition of Gershwin's "I Loves You, Porgy" that again, shows off her spectacular range and crystal-clear tone.

The program is an engaging mix of upbeat and ballads; just when you think you're exhausted by all the virtuosity, a quietly smoky number like "Only You" calms things down somewhat (but only somewhat). The energy level overall is very high, with Ms. Schuur and these incredible musicians all in top form, led by the magnificent Frank Foster. The disc was recorded live which only adds to the excitement.

Since this disc came out in 1987, Ms. Schuur has continued to produce some outstanding work, such as her stunning recent release with Maynard Ferguson. This recording, however, is a classic and cannot be recommended highly enough.

Track Listing
1. Deedles' Blues
2. Caught a Touch of Your Love
3. Travelin' Light
4. I Just Found out About Love
5. Travelin' Blues
6. I Loves You, Porgy
7. You Can Have It
8. Only You
9. Everyday
10. We'll Be Together Again
11. Until I Met You
12. Climbing Higher Mountains

The Count Basie Orchestra: Frank Foster (leader, tenor saxophone); Danny House, Danny Turner (alto saxophone); Eric Dixon, Kenny Hing (tenor saxophone); John Williams (baritone saxophone), Sonny Cohn, Melton Mustafa, Bob Ojeda, Byron Stripling (trumpet); Clarence Banks, Bill Hughes, Melvin Wanzo, Dennis Wilson (trombone); Donald T. Carson (piano); Freddie Green (guitar); Lynn Seaton (bass); Dennis Mackrel (drums).Directed by Stanley Dorfman.

One of my ALL TIME FAVORITE JAZZ ALBUMS!!!! Travelin' Light is my fav tune. I Love this one!

No-L said:
Dennie said:
613rtNnaBzL.jpg

Diane Schuur & The Count Basie Orchestra -- CD

1987 GRP Records

A great vocalist matched with a great jazz orchestra April 18, 2002
By Bruce Hodges

This was one of Diane Schuur's first recordings and is still one of my favorites. It displays the phenomenal agility of her voice in ways that some of her subsequent recordings have not. She has a powerful, brassy instrument - so much so that some of my friends don't care for her, saying she sounds like she's screaming. (I disagree. If this is screaming, then please get right up close to my ear and do so.)

My favorite track is, without a doubt, "You Can Have It," a feverishly catchy tune written for Ms. Schuur, presumably to show off what she can do. It certainly succeeds. By the end of the song both she and the band are in jazz heaven, with Schuur scat-singing effortlessly, and then pulling out all the stops as her astonishing voice climbs a series of ascending scales. The arrangement, like all the others on the disc, is as classy a big-band sound as you will find anywhere. Other highlights are "I Just Found Out About Love" with its brassy syncopations, and a gorgeous rendition of Gershwin's "I Loves You, Porgy" that again, shows off her spectacular range and crystal-clear tone.

The program is an engaging mix of upbeat and ballads; just when you think you're exhausted by all the virtuosity, a quietly smoky number like "Only You" calms things down somewhat (but only somewhat). The energy level overall is very high, with Ms. Schuur and these incredible musicians all in top form, led by the magnificent Frank Foster. The disc was recorded live which only adds to the excitement.

Since this disc came out in 1987, Ms. Schuur has continued to produce some outstanding work, such as her stunning recent release with Maynard Ferguson. This recording, however, is a classic and cannot be recommended highly enough.

Track Listing
1. Deedles' Blues
2. Caught a Touch of Your Love
3. Travelin' Light
4. I Just Found out About Love
5. Travelin' Blues
6. I Loves You, Porgy
7. You Can Have It
8. Only You
9. Everyday
10. We'll Be Together Again
11. Until I Met You
12. Climbing Higher Mountains

The Count Basie Orchestra: Frank Foster (leader, tenor saxophone); Danny House, Danny Turner (alto saxophone); Eric Dixon, Kenny Hing (tenor saxophone); John Williams (baritone saxophone), Sonny Cohn, Melton Mustafa, Bob Ojeda, Byron Stripling (trumpet); Clarence Banks, Bill Hughes, Melvin Wanzo, Dennis Wilson (trombone); Donald T. Carson (piano); Freddie Green (guitar); Lynn Seaton (bass); Dennis Mackrel (drums).Directed by Stanley Dorfman.

One of my ALL TIME FAVORITE JAZZ ALBUMS!!!! Travelin' Light is my fav tune. I Love this one!
I've seen you post it before. I was thrilled to see it on a recent list from my "used music dealer" and snapped it up right a way.

Good stuff, indeed! :handgestures-thumbup:

I plan on giving it a second spin this weekend. :banana-dance:

Dennie

71qrVpySzZL.jpg

The Best of: The Blue Note Years -- CD

Joe Henderson

1991 Blue Note/Capital Records

Joe Henderson's handful of Blue Note albums from the first half of the '60s rank with the decade's best hard bop recordings. Benefiting from stellar backing units, Henderson ably displayed his tartly sinuous tenor conception on a strong array of originals and cherry-picked covers. This best-of collection is made up of tracks from all of the saxophonist's early Blue Note LPs, including his signature tune, the beguiling bossa nova "Recorda Me"; the coolly complex "Serenity"; and a choice take on Cedar Walton's tribute to Henderson, "Mode for Joe." The disc is topped off with first-class versions of Sam Rivers' "Beatrice" and Monk's "Ask Me Now," both taken from Henderson's widely acclaimed State of the Tenor Live at the Village Vanguard sessions of the mid-'80s. For newcomers shy about diving into Henderson's Blue Note Years box set, this sampler will be a perfect way to test the waters. ~ Stephen Cook

Track Listing
1. Blue Bossa
2. Recorda Me
3. Our Thing
4. Punjab
5. Serenity
6. Barrio, El
7. Mode for Joe
8. Beatrice
9. Ask Me Now

Personnel: Joe Henderson (tenor saxophone); Kenny Dorham, Lee Morgan(trumpet); Curtis Fuller (trombone); Bobby Hutcherson (vibraphone); McCoy Tyner, Andrew Hill, Cedar Walton (piano); Butch Warren, Ron Carter, Eddie Khan, Richard Davis, Bob Cranshaw (bass); Pete LaRoca, Elvin Jones, Joe Chambers, Al Foster (drums).Producers: Alfred Lion, Stanley Crouch, Michael Cuscuna.Compilation producer: Michael Cuscuna.Engineers: Rudy Van Gelder, David Baker.Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey between June 3, 1963 and January 27, 1966 and live at the Village Vanguard, New York, New York from November 14-16, 1985.

I just love hearing Diana in a threesome. :romance-threesome: :romance-heartsthree:

Oops! :scared-eek: Ah...errrr...ah... Trio, yeah Trio, that's it! :banana-blonde: :banana-dance: :banana-dreads:

4197PCZ48RL.jpg

Love Scenes -- DTS

Diana Krall

1997/1998 GRP/DTS, Inc.

Amazon.com essential recording

Like a mink draped over mahogany, Diana Krall's luxuriously supple alto adorns the vintage songs of romance and longing found on Love Scenes with a palpable aura of glamour and late-night cool. Her ostensibly effortless command of phrasing and intonation, whether the mood is seduction or a sweet sassiness, further fortifies the opinion that the Canadian vocalist-pianist possesses one of the great female jazz voices to surface in the late 1990s. Augmented by spare but skillful instrumentation from bassist Christian McBride and guitarist Russell Malone, Krall sustains a largely quiet (though hardly sleepy) ambience throughout the CD's 12 selections, from Irving Berlin's "How Deep Is the Ocean (How High Is the Sky)," which she also uses as a showcase for her touch at the keyboard, to Gershwin's "They Can't Take That Away from Me." Her swing is artfully subdued ("All or Nothing at All"), and her wry, expressive approach to "Peel Me a Grape" is pure charm. Yet Krall shines most luminously on languid gems such as "I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance with You" and "Garden in the Rain." Anyone in search of an album ideal for watching city lights at 2 a.m. should keep Love Scenes in mind. --Terry Wood

"All or Nothing at All" (Arthur Altman, Jack Lawrence) – 4:35
"Peel Me a Grape" (Dave Frishberg) – 5:52
"I Don't Know Enough About You" (Dave Barbour, Peggy Lee) – 4:01
"I Miss You So" (Jimmy Henderson, Sydney Robin, Bertha Scott) – 4:42
"They Can't Take That Away from Me" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) – 5:39
"Lost Mind" (Percy Mayfield) – 3:48
"I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance with You" (Bing Crosby, Ned Washington, Victor Young) – 6:14
"You're Getting to Be a Habit With Me" (Al Dubin, Harry Warren) – 2:14
"Gentle Rain" (Luiz Bonfá, Matt Dubey) – 4:55
"How Deep Is the Ocean (How High Is the Sky)" (Irving Berlin) – 4:45
"My Love Is" (Billy Myles) – 3:26
"Garden in the Rain" (James Dyrenforth, Carroll Gibbons) – 4:56

Diana Krall - piano, vocals
Russell Malone - guitar
Christian McBride - bass

astrud-gilbertos-finest-hour_1_fullsize_zps95ef06e6.jpg

Astrud Gilberto's Finest Hour -- Remastered CD

Astrud Gilberto

2001 Verve Records

An accidental musical icon, Brazil's Astrud Gilberto became one of bossa nova's superstars in the mid-1960s, when she was unexpectedly drafted to sing English lyrics on her then-husband Joao Gilberto's famous '63 sessions with American saxophonist Stan Getz. One of the resulting songs, "The Girl from Ipanema," became a runaway international hit, and soon Astrud was recording her own albums. This 20-track Verve collection compiles many of Gilberto's best recordings from '63 to '69 (and, inexplicably, one tune from '86), showcasing her gentle, laid-back voice and the music's breezy backing arrangements.In addition to the lilting aforementioned single, ASTRUD GILBERTO'S FINEST HOUR also presents the subdued "Corcovado (Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars)," both from the GETZ/GILBERTO album, which features the songs' renowned author, singer/multi-instrumentalist Antonio Carlos Jobim. In fact, many of the selections here are penned by Jobim, including the jaunty "A Felicidade" and the string-laden "Photograph." For an ideal introduction to the beautifully delicate and immediately catchy sounds of Astrud Gilberto, there's no better place to start than her FINEST HOUR.

Track Listing
1. Goodbye Sadness (Tristeza)
2. Girl From Ipanema, The
3. Meditation
4. Face I Love, The
5. Corcovado (Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars)
6. So Nice (Samba de Verano)
7. Felicidade, A
8. Photograph
9. It Might as Well Be Spring
10. Wish Me a Rainbow
11. Fly Me to the Moon
12. Crickets Sing For Anamaria
13. Who Needs Forever?
14. Insensatez
15. Berimbau
16. Come Softly To Me / Hushabye
17. Trains and Boats and Planes
18. Canto de Ossanha (Let Go)
19. I'm Nothing Without You
20. In the Wee Small Hours

Personnel includes: Astrud Gilberto (vocals); Marty Paich (arranger, conductor); Gil Evans (arranger, piano); Eumir Deodato (arranger); Joao Gilberto (guitar, background vocals); Toots Thielemans (guitar); Bud Shank (flute); Phil Bodner, Bill Hammond, Hubert Laws, Seldon Powell, Stan Webb (woodwinds); Stan Getz (tenor saxophone); Bernie Glow, Jimmy Nottingham, Ernie Royal, Marvin Stamm (trumpet); Ray Alonge, Earl Chapin, Tony Miranda (French horn); Wayne Andre, Warren Covington, Urbie Green, Tony Studd (trombone); John Horn (tuba); Walter Wanderly (piano, organ); Antonio Carlos Jobim, Joao Donato (piano); Ron Carter, Tommy Williams, Joe Mondragon (bass); Claudio Sion, Grady Tate (drums); Alan Douglas, Bobby Rosengarden (percussion).Recorded between 1963 & 1967. Includes liner notes by James Gavin.Digitally remastered by Up Light (Universal Mastering Studios East).

724359704425_zpse267a22d.jpg

Live At The Village Vanguard -- CD

The Bill Charlap Trio

2007 Blue Note Records

Releasing a LIVE AT THE VILLAGE VANGUARD album might seem like an attempt at 'greatness by association,' a wish to be filed alongside same-titled albums by the likes of John Coltrane and Bill Evans, but the Bill Charlap Trio doesn't need to rely on marketing gimmicks. The music on this release stands on its own; in fact, it even lives up to the legacy associated with the legendary New York club.Flanked by drummer Kenny Washington and bassist Peter Washington, Charlap proves he is one of the most tasteful and accomplished pianist on the contemporary jazz scene. The music rarely ranges left of center-- the sensibility is staunchly traditional, attuned to white-hot post-bop and ballads--but within that framework Charlap and company never miss a step. His dazzling takes on standards like "Autumn in New York" and "The Lady is a Tramp," and lesser known but no less excellent tunes like Gerry Mulligan's "Rocker" are proof positive.

Track Listing
1. Rocker
2. Autumn in New York
3. Godchild
4. Lady Is a Tramp, The
5. It's Only a Paper Moon
6. My Shining Hour
7. All Across the City
8. While We're Young
9. Last Night When We Were Young

Personnel: Bill Charlap (piano); Peter Washington (Bass), Kenny Washington (drums).

337a81b0c8a0b433ce83f110.L.jpg

Back At The Chicken Shack -- CD

The Incredible Jimmy Smith

1960/1997 Blue Note Records

Awesome!, February 20, 2005
By Claude Lapointe "maaaars" (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Back at the Chicken Shack (Audio CD)

I agree 100% with Guy from New Haven. And even though I don't possess all of Jimmy's albums, this has to be his best... Maybe the the best jazz album ever!!! Never heard anything so groovy; it's B3 organ, Tenor Sax and good rhythm galore!!!

I don't know which track is best because they're all stunning but to name a few, maybe "Minor Chant" by Stanley Turrentine (who brilliantly plays the sax throughout the album), stands out a little... not by much though. "When I grow too old to dream": what a sweet melody!... Messy Bessie (by Jimmy) is so good, I would have appreciated a finale instead of the fade-out we got (but that's okay). And technically, the 1960's Blue Note pure, clear, and no-fuss analog recording sounds flawless.

If you're jaded with the traditional organ-drums-guitar formation, check this out because tenor saxophone truly adds a uniquely elegant and amazingly powerful dimension to Jimmy's already great sound! This will put a smile on your face and make your head bounce!

"Back at the Chicken Shack" (Jimmy Smith) — 8:01
"When I Grow Too Old to Dream" (Oscar Hammerstein II, Sigmund Romberg) — 9:54
"Minor Chant" (Stanley Turrentine) — 7:30
"Messy Bessie" (Smith) — 12:25
"On the Sunny Side of the Street" (Dorothy Fields, Jimmy McHugh) — 5:45 (Appeared as a CD-only bonus track, not part of the original LP configuration).

-----

Jimmy Smith - organ
Kenny Burrell - guitar
Stanley Turrentine - tenor saxophone
Donald Bailey - drums

Back