• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

508764.jpg

6 and 12 String Guitar -- SACD

Leo Kottke

1971/2004 Takoma Records

With the 1969 release of 6-AND 12 STRING GUITAR, Leo Kottke established his pre-eminence as a guitar virtuoso and composer of quirky, pop-inflected pieces. Harmonically adventurous and technically dazzling, this album showcases Kottke's penchant for infusing traditional elements of folk guitar with more modern, even impressionistic harmony and tonality. Kottke inspired a revolution in acoustic guitar playing, and this record provided the opening volley.

"The Driving of the Year Nail" starts things off with a relentless fingerpicked chug, featuring splashes of open harmonics executed with the delicacy of a ballerina. Kottke proceeds to combine the familiar with the strange--each of these brief pieces (around three minutes and under) has the effect of being simultaneously charming, and a little twisted. For example, "Vaseline Machine Gun" starts with "Taps" played with a bottleneck slide, then morphs into a thumb-and-slide frenzy. Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" is the exception, given a straight and loving reading on six-string guitar. This is pure steel-string joy, with liberal doses of irony and ecstasy.

Track Listing with Notes From Leo..... :eusa-clap:

Side One

All songs written and composed by Leo Kottke, except where noted.
No. Title Length
1. "The Driving of the Year Nail" (From an old Etruscan drawing of a sperm cell) 1:54
2. "The Last of the Arkansas Greyhounds" (A terror-filled escape on a bus from a man fired from Beaumont ranch) 3:18
3. "Ojo" (Ojo Caliente where Zuni hid from Esteban, the Moor, and the Spaniards) 2:14
4. "Crow River Waltz" (A prayer for the demise of the canoe and the radar trap without which Federal prisons will have to be rebuilt to accommodate prepubescence) 3:20
5. "The Sailor's Grave on the Prairie" (Originally written to commemorate Nedicks and a Minneapolis musician's contempt for the three a.m. cheeseburger with a nickel slice of raw) 2:34
6. "Vaseline Machine Gun" (1) for waking up nude in a sleeping bag on the shore of the Atlantic surrounded by a volleyball game at high noon, and 2) for the end of the volleyball game) 3:11
7. "Jack Fig" (A reluctant lament) 2:14

Side Two

No. Title Length
1. "Watermelon" (While at Watermelon Park Music Festival I had the opportunity to play banjo in the middle of the night for a wandering drunk. When I finished he vomited — an astute comment on my playing. Made me feel very distinguished) 3:12
2. "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" (J.S. Bach The engineer called this the ancient joy of man's desire. (Bach had twenty children because his organ didn't have any stops)) 2:24
3. "The Fisherman" (This is about the mad fishermen of the North whose ice fishing spots resemble national shrines) 2:32
4. "The Tennessee Toad" (Who made an epic journey from Ohio to Tennessee) 2:40
5. "Busted Bicycle" (Reluctance) 2:48
6. "The Brain of the Purple Mountain" (From A.L. Tennyson) 2:11
7. "Coolidge Rising" (While rising from the sink, cupboard doors opened and engulfed his head; while turning to the right to avoid the whole incident he walked into a refrigerator — which afforded a good chin rest for staring at some bananas in a basket)

51dHk4EdsJL._SS500_.jpg

All Day Music -- 24k Gold 20-bit CD

War

1971/1994 Avenue Gold Collection

Summertime classic, March 28, 2002
By "nwlover" (tacoma, washington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Day Music (Audio CD)

Eric Burton had no idea what would happen when he left war. What happened was that War became The band of the early 70's. All day music was playing in the park all summer that year and the song perfectly describes War. Tight harmonies, great musicians, and lyrics that paint beautiful pictures. Ya had to be there, like I was. However, their music still stands the test of time. That's What Love Will Do, There Must Be A Reason, and Slippin' Into Darkness could of each been singles, as they are all great jamss.
A fabulous group with a distinctive fusion of soul, rock, blues, funk and jazz. Couldnt ask for anymore from anygroup at anytime.

All tracks composed by War (Papa Dee Allen, Harold Brown, B.B. Dickerson, Lonnie Jordan, Charles Miller, Lee Oskar, Howard E. Scott), except where indicated.

Side one

"All Day Music" (Jerry Goldstein, War) – 4:04
"Get Down" (Goldstein, War) – 4:29
"That's What Love Will Do" (Milton James, War) – 7:17
"There Must Be a Reason" – 3:50

Side two

"Nappy Head (Theme from Ghetto Man)" – 6:05
"Slipping Into Darkness" – 7:00
"Baby Brother" – 7:38

61Qn5BO0F7L.jpg

Sextet -- SACD

Cal Tjader Stan Getz

1958/2004 Fantasy Records

STAN GETZ WITH CAL TJADER is a classic, not only because it pairs the renowned tenor player (Getz) with the great vibraphonist (Tjader), but because the additional personnel on the session make it something of an all-star date. Drummer Billy Higgins, still some time away from his work on the groundbreaking experiments of Ornette Coleman, appears here on one of his first sessions. Bassist Scott LaFaro, who would achieve fame as a member of Bill Evans's legendary trio, also makes an early appearance. Pianist Vince Guaraldi, a leader and composer in his own right (his "Ginza Samba" is one of the highlights on the set), sits in, as does fleet-fingered guitarist Eddie Duran.The ensemble--which has a lively, robust sound due to the instrumentation--moves effortlessly between highly lyrical ballads and fierce, up-tempo bop. The set includes several Tjader tunes, including the smart and swinging "Crow's Nest" and "Big Bear," while the group's treatment of the standard "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" displays remarkable sensitivity and sweetness. Though Tjader and Getz are naturally in the forefront throughout--they both balance shimmering, cool tones with dazzling dexterity--there is fine soloing from all involved, making this a consistently superb set.

Track Listing
1. Ginza Samba
2. I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face
3. For All We Know
4. Crow's Next
5. Liz-Anne
6. Big Bear
7. My Buddy

Personnel: Stan Getz (tenor saxophone); Cal Tjader (vibraphone); Vince Guaraldi (piano); Eddie Duran (guitar); Scott LaFaro (bass); Billy Higgins (drums).Recorded at Circle Record Studios, San Francisco, California on February 8, 1958.

5196Ej0xQEL.jpg

ARC -- CD

Jimmy Haslip (founding member of the Yellowjackets :handgestures-thumbup: )

1993 GRP Records

Still beautiful after all these years
October 8, 2010
By David Moser
Format:Audio CD

Just listened to this album again after a few years, and it still blows me away with its musicality and emotional depth. I'm a jazz pianist living and playing in Beijing China. I still consider this CD to be one of the most original, polished and emotionally profound jazz CDs of the 90s. The beauty and feeling these arrangements pull out of Scofield and the others is a joy to hear, makes
my head stand on end, especially on tunes like "Orange Guitars". Vince Mendoza,by the way is an absolute genius, an under-appreciated master of timbre and emotional nuance. A tune like "Leap" is so completely original, yet is a melange of so many influences, it's
hard to pin it down. Haslip's playing throughout is textbook lyricism, the kind of aching beauty we associate with the best tenor
ballad players. The entire album features strong and inspiring compositions, and masterful, controlled improvising. The players never lapse into empty technical displays or ego trips; it's all concentrated on the essence of the music, the space each piece creates. It's a great spiritual uplift, still compelling after more than a decade. A pity such music never hits the top of the charts, but the impact it leaves on souls and hearts is incalculable.

Track Listing
1. Outland
2. Old Town
3. Niños
4. Leap
5. Orange Guitars
6. I Dreamt of You
7. Matha
8. Red Cloud
9. Market Street
10. Hannah's House

Personnel: Jimmy Haslip (6-string bass guitar, keyboards, Synclavier, percussion, keyboard & drum programming), Bob Mintzer (soprano & tenor saxophones, woodwinds), Randy Brecker, Chuck Findley (trumpets), Dave Samuels (vibraphone), John Beasley (piano), Vince Mendoza (keyboards, guitar), Judd Miller (keyboards, EWI, drum programming), William Kennedy (keyboards, drum programming), Steve Croes (keyboards, drum programming, Synclavier), Peter Erskine (drums), Luis Conte (percussion).Engineers: Dan Garcia, Malcolm Pollack, Duane Seykora.Recorded at Groovemasters, Famous Sound Chamber, The Complex Recording Studios, Los Angeles, California and Skyline Studios, New York, New York. Includes liner notes by George Varga

e4de810ae7a04998f6eec110.L.jpg

Smile -- CD

Brian Wilson

2004 Nonesuch Records

Amazon.com
The Greatest Album That Never Was finally is. The Beach Boys' uncompleted 1967 album Smile has remained the elusive touchstone of Brian Wilson's brilliant, star-crossed career for decades. Artistic Holy Grail and troubling professional Waterloo for Wilson, a tantalizing prism of unfulfilled promise to his loyal cadre of fans, its story has become pop music's Rashomon. Finally completed via spring 2004 recordings with his stellar, longtime touring band (none of the original '60s sessions were used, though they've been recreated here with often stunning authenticity), it's arguably as alien to contemporary pop as it might have seemed in its intended '67 context--even to ears freshly primed by the glories of Pet Sounds.

Collaborator Van *** Parks's impressionistic, often mischievous lyrics conjure a collage of arcane 19th-century Americana that's equal parts artful ellipse and aloof nostalgia. But wed to Wilson's innovative composition and recording techniques (echoing beat author William Burroughs's fabled cut 'n' paste methodology and exemplified by the modular "Good Vibrations"), the resulting semisuite confections challenge the boundaries of both song and album form, but with an insouciant charm that's as different from Pet Sounds as that landmark was from "I Get Around." Turns out those hypothetical comparisons to Sgt. Pepper's weren't so far off the mark. --Jerry McCulley

All songs written by Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks, except where noted.

"Our Prayer/Gee" (Brian Wilson/William Davis and Morris Levy) – 2:09
"Heroes and Villains" – 4:53
"Roll Plymouth Rock" – 3:48
"Barnyard" – 0:58
"Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine" (Haven Gillespie and Beasley Smith/Jimmie Davis and Charles Mitchell) – 1:04
"Cabin Essence" – 3:27
"Wonderful" – 2:07
"Song for Children" – 2:16
"Child Is Father of the Man" – 2:18
"Surf's Up" – 4:07
"I'm in Great Shape/I Wanna Be Around/Workshop" (Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks/Johnny Mercer and Sadie Vimmerstedt/Brian Wilson) – 1:56
"Vega-Tables" – 2:19
"On a Holiday" – 2:36
"Wind Chimes" – 2:54
"Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" (Brian Wilson) – 2:27
"In Blue Hawaii" – 3:00
"Good Vibrations" (Brian Wilson, Tony Asher and Mike Love) – 4:36

4dec793509a0ab93869a1110.L.jpg

Dave Grusin and the NY-LA Dream Band -- CD

1990 GRP Records

A Jazz Classic, July 4, 2002
By Kenneth G. Hamilton (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dave Grusin & The NY-LA Dream Band (Audio CD)

This is a "must have" item for the complete jazz collector. I have seen the video version, but do not have a copy. Thus, my question is: when are we going to see a DVD version of this memorable Tokyo concert? Even though I have the audio CD, I would definitely buy a video edition on DVD. GRP, get on it!

Track Listing
1. Shuffle City
2. Count Down
3. Serengeti Walk (Slippin' Out the Back Door)
4. What Matters Most
5. Number 8
6. Three Days of the Condor
7. Summer Sketches '82

-----
Personnel includes: Dave Grusin (acoustic & Fender Rhodes pianos, synthesizer); George Young (soprano, alto & tenor saxophones, piccolo, flute); Tiger Okoshi (trumpet, flugelhorn); Don Gruisin (electric & Fender Rhodes pianos, Clavinet, synthesizer); Lee Ritenhour (acoustic & electric guitars; Eric Gale (electric guitar); Anthony Jackson (contrabass guitar, electric bass); Steve Gadd (drums); Rubens Bassini (percussion); The Dream Orchestra, THe NHK Strings, The Tokyo Brass Ensemble.
Recorded live at the Budokan, Tokyo, Japan.

99866230a8a0261dd09ff010.L.jpg

Cloud Nine -- CD

George Harrison

1987 Capitol Records

Cloud Nine, June 16, 2011
By Cole Schaffner "Rockband Freak ((*J*))" - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Cloud Nine (Audio CD)

This is one of my favorite Harrison albums! Great vocals and instrumentals. also it has a great crew of musicians working on it (Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Elton John, Ringo starr and more). Harrison really out played many of his 70's work. this record is a gem and i highly recommend.

All songs by George Harrison, except where noted.

"Cloud 9" – 3:15
"That's What It Takes" (George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Gary Wright) – 3:59
"Fish on the Sand" – 3:22
"Just for Today" – 4:06
"This Is Love" (George Harrison, Jeff Lynne) – 3:48
"When We Was Fab" (George Harrison, Jeff Lynne) – 3:57
A celebration of The Beatles and the 1960s.
"Devil's Radio" – 3:52
Masters of Reality recorded their version of the song for "Songs from the Material World: a Tribute to George Harrison" album
"Someplace Else" – 3:51
An earlier version of this song appeared in the 1986 film Shanghai Surprise.
"Wreck of the Hesperus" – 3:31
"Breath Away from Heaven" – 3:36
An earlier version of this song appeared in the 1986 film Shanghai Surprise.
"Got My Mind Set on You" (Rudy Clark) – 3:52

71qqZtfx2aL.jpg

Clapton -- CD

Eric Clapton

2010 Reprise Records

Product Description

Co-produced by guitarist and long-time collaborator Doyle Bramhall II, ‘Clapton’ features an all star cast of musical collaborations started with the legendary JJ Cale, drummer Jim Keltner, bassist Willie Weeks, and keyboardist Walt Richmond - and the sessions later added guests including Steve Winwood, Wynton Marsalis, Sheryl Crow, Allen Toussaint, and Derek Trucks. Clapton created a collection that touches on everything from century-old traditional brass bands to little-known country blues to brand-new originals. The result is both relaxed and revelatory, and unlike anything the guitarist has done in his legendary career.

‘This album wasn't what it was intended to be at all,’ says Eric Clapton. ‘It's actually better than it was meant to be because, in a way, I just let it happen. It's an eclectic collection of songs that weren't really on the map - and I like it so much because if it's a surprise to the fans, that's only because it's a surprise to me, as well.’
Tracklisting:

01 Travelin' Alone
02 Rockin' Chair
03 River Runs Deep
04 Judgement Day
05 How Deep Is The Ocean
06 My Very Good Friend The Milkman
07 Can't Hold Out Much Longer
08 That's No Way To Get Along
09 Everything Will Be Alright
10 Diamonds Made From Rain
11 When Somebody Thinks You're Wonderful
12 Hard Times Blues
13 Run Back To Your Side
14 Autumn Leaves

90f8828fd7a0798efc1a2110.L.jpg

The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration -- 2 CD Box Set

Various Great Artists

1993 Columbia Records

One Fine Tribute Set
, October 2, 2003
By Stephanie Sane (from the Asylum) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration (Audio CD)

I really liked this double CD, found it worth every penny, would recommend it highly. There is some stuff on these two discs that is just simply too good to describe. Tracy Chapman's rendition of the "Times They are A-Changin'" shoots straight to your soul. Richie Havens version of "Just Like a Woman" gives the song a whole new dimension. Eric Clapton's two songs are eerie. Mr. D performs admirably on "It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)," and surpasses himself on "Girl from the North Country." But the real outstanding song on this set is the version of "Absolutely Sweet Marie," performed by the late George Harrison.

Reviewed by Stephanie Sane

Unlike a lot of live compilation albums, this one really works. All I can say is that I think you should own it. Five Stars.

Song/Performer(s)

Disc one

"Like a Rolling Stone" – John Cougar Mellencamp – 6:53
"Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat" – John Cougar Mellencamp – 4:20
"Introduction by Kris Kristofferson" – 0:55
"Blowin' in the Wind" – Stevie Wonder – 8:53
"Foot of Pride" – Lou Reed – 8:47
"Masters of War" – Eddie Vedder and Mike McCready – 5:06
"The Times They Are A-Changin'" – Tracy Chapman – 3:01
"It Ain't Me Babe" – June Carter Cash and Johnny Cash – 3:50
"What Was It You Wanted?" – Willie Nelson – 5:47
"I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" – Kris Kristofferson – 3:04
"Highway 61 Revisited" – Johnny Winter – 5:05
"Seven Days" – Ronnie Wood – 5:26
"Just Like a Woman" – Richie Havens – 5:50
"When the Ship Comes In" – The Clancy Brothers, Robbie O'Connell, Tommy Makem – 4:23
"You Ain't Going Nowhere" – Mary Chapin Carpenter, Rosanne Cash and Shawn Colvin – 3:52

Disc two

"Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" – Neil Young – 5:38
"All Along the Watchtower" – Neil Young – 6:20
"I Shall Be Released" – Chrissie Hynde – 4:26
"Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" – Eric Clapton – 6:09
"Emotionally Yours" – O'Jays – 5:43
"When I Paint My Masterpiece" – The Band – 4:23
"Absolutely Sweet Marie" – George Harrison – 4:43
"License to Kill" – Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers – 4:52
"Rainy Day Women#12 & 35" – Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers – 4:44
"Mr. Tambourine Man" – Roger McGuinn with Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers – 4:10
"It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" – Bob Dylan – 6:21
"My Back Pages" – Bob Dylan, Roger McGuinn, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Eric Clapton, George Harrison – 4:39
"Knockin' on Heaven's Door" – All – 5:38
"Girl from the North Country" – Bob Dylan – 5:12

483c729fd7a0fce8842af010.L.jpg

Dressed To Chill -- CD

Marion Meadows

2006 Heads Up Records

Soprano saxist Marion Meadows has been a crown prince in the smooth jazz court for so long, it's easy to wonder if he remembers his days woodshedding with Joe Henderson and Norman Connors' Starship Orchestra. He's been wildly successful, and his time with the Heads Up label has hardly been wasted; his rep is deep and wide, and his records move. Unlike a better selling counterpart on the same instrument, Meadows has a keen sense of rhythm and pitch, and his tonal control is top-notch. Given the tunes here, interchangeable deep relaxing grooves that borrow on everything from trip-hop to jazz, and house to Wes Montgomery's early experiments -- check "Remember Me," for evidence of the latter -- it's easy to forget the individuality Meadows possesses not only on soprano, but also on tenor and flute (he employs all three on "Coco Flow,") as well as alto on the opening title track. He duets with himself on soprano and tenor on "Bounce" and "Remember Me." Meadows' key collaborator here is composer, programmer, and keyboard whiz Mike Broening. He's the guy who comes up with the skeletal, wispy rhythm loops -- leaving the need for a drummer non-existent. There are three tracks with vocals here, "Miss Know It All," an urban soul ballad with Will Brock doing his best Terence Trent D'Arby, and "1000 Dreams" with Caji Da Bahia, an overblown sunstorm of loaded overdubbing. The cover of R. Kelly's "I Believe I Can Fly" is an understated ballad with some beautiful phrasing by Meadows, even when the all too familiar chorus kicks in. When the backing vocalists -- Vanessa and Lori Williams and Raymond Reeder -- enter, they are so utterly masked by production technique, it's hard to tell they are real singers. But it works, especially in the bridge when Meadows actually plays some blues lines. Meadows is a seriously gifted if unchallenged musician. He could use a new writing partner, but that doesn't mean that Dressed to Chill won't satisfy fans; it most certainly will. ~ Thom Jurek

Track Listing
1. Dressed to Chill
2. Remember Me
3. Dance with My Daughter
4. Miss Know It All
5. Bounce
6. I Believe I Can Fly
7. Coco Flow
8. Just My Style
9. Scent of a Woman
10. Steppers...Let's Do This
11. 1000 Dreams
12. To Love Her

Personnel: Marion Meadows (flute, bass clarinet, soprano saxophone, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Will Brock (vocals); Freddie Fox (guitar, electric guitar, flugelhorn); Chuck Loeb, Randy Bowland (guitar); Thano Sahnas (acoustic guitar); Mike Broening (piano, keyboards, programming); Lori Williams, Raymond Reeder (background vocals).Recording information: Big Dog Studios, Waterbury, CT; Chess Studio, Phoenix, AZ; La Cosino Studio, Hilton Head Island, SC; The B-Hive, Phoenix, AZ.

51XVxJ8z-PL._SS500_.jpg

Fuzzy Logic -- CD

David Benoit

2002 GRP records

Another giant step forward for Benoit
, March 1, 2002
By Dr.D.Treharne (Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Fuzzy Logic (Audio CD)

Picking up the thread he left with "Professional Dreamer", David Benoit pushes the mixture of music further forward, without losing the impact of his individual keyboard sound. On 3 of the tracks he has once again turned to the production work of Rick Braun, and each of the tracks adds a new element to the CD. Favourite of the Braun produced tracks is "You read my mind" where Braun offers the programming.Another element in the mix is that 2 of the tracks are produced by Stuart Wade of Down to the Bone.Both these tracks "Coming up for air" and "Tango in Barbados" are refreshingly different, the latter being a really jaunty workout, an interesting contrast with Benoit's work in the 80's and 90's.Of the self produced tracks, the title track is a good tune, with Benoit adding touches on Hammond B3.My two other favourites are John Barry's "Then the morning comes" with a touch of vibraphone from Larry Bunker, and "Reflections" on which there is an imaginative use of several instruments including a French Horn. All in all this is excellent,and has a depth that allows something new to emerge with every listening. If you haven't heard the "new" David Benoit this is a great place to start!

Track Listing
1. Snap!
2. Fuzzy Logic
3. Someday Soon
4. Then the Morning Comes
5. Reflections
6. Coming Up for Air
7. You Read My Mind
8. War of the S.U.V.'s
9. Tango in Barbados
10. One Dream at a Time (June's Song)

Personnel includes: David Benoit (arranger, conductor, piano, Hammond B-3 organ); Andy Suzuki (saxophone); Rick Braun (trumpet, programming); Rick Baptist (trumpet); Richard Todd (French horn); Nick Lane, Steve Holtman (trombone); Tim Weisberg (flute); Jon Clark (oboe); Larry Bunker (vibraphone); Neil Angilley (keyboards); Paul Jackson, Jr., Ross Bolton,Tony Maiden, Pat Kelly, Ian Crabtree (guitar); Abe Laboriel, Stan Sargeant, Phil Mulford, Dean Taba (bass); Steve Ferrone, Jeff Olson (drums); Scott Breadman (timbales); Scott Breadman, Brad Dutz (percussion).Producers include: David Benoit, Rick Braun, Stuart Wade.Engineers include: Clark Germain, Steve Sykes, Mick Wilson.Recorded between April 19 and May 24, 2001

41nGeWdFm%2BL._SS500_.jpg

Long Road Out of Eden -- 2 CD Set

Eagles

2007 Eagles Recording Co. II

Amazon.com

What a long, strange wait it's been. Don Felder has left, a generation has grown into adulthood, and at long last, Eagles return with a new studio album, their first since 1979's The Long Run. Given the interim, though, fans couldn't possibly have asked for more. The two-disc, 20-track Long Road Out of Eden not only retains the entire menu of the Eagles' staple sounds--effortless, multi-part harmonies; colorful, if not intricate, guitar embellishment; meticulously crafted songwriting; squeaky-clean, almost geriatric production--but many of these songs also viscerally recall past hits from Eagles' or the extant members' solo records. Like revenant doubles, "Frail Grasp on the Big Picture" echoes "Life in the Fast Lane," "How Long" channels "Take It Easy," the guitar arpeggio threading through "Center of the Universe" hints at the ubiquitous "Hotel California," and "Business As Usual" could have been culled from the cutting room floor from Don Henley's The End of the Innocence. The effect of all this familiarity is one of masterfully crafted self-tribute with one eye riveted on posterity, calculated to please both the deep-pocketed who can still afford the Eagles' concerts and those who'd given up on ever hearing new material again. --Jason Kirk

Disc one

"No More Walks in the Wood" (Don Henley, Steuart Smith, John Hollander) – 2:00
"How Long" (J. D. Souther) – 3:13
"Busy Being Fabulous" (Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Steuart Smith) – 4:19
"What Do I Do with My Heart" (Glenn Frey, Don Henley) – 3:54
"Guilty of the Crime" (Frankie Miller, Jerry Lynn Williams) – 3:43
"I Don't Want to Hear Any More" (Paul Carrack) – 4:21
"Waiting in the Weeds" (Don Henley, Steuart Smith) – 7:45
"No More Cloudy Days" (Glenn Frey) – 4:02
"Fast Company" (Don Henley, Glenn Frey) – 4:00
"Do Something" (Don Henley, Timothy B. Schmit, Steuart Smith) – 5:12
"You Are Not Alone" (Frey) – 2:22

Disc two

"Long Road Out of Eden" (Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Timothy B. Schmit) – 10:17
"I Dreamed There Was No War" (Glenn Frey) – 1:38
"Somebody" (Jack Tempchin, John Brannen) – 4:09
"Frail Grasp on the Big Picture" (Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Steuart Smith) – 5:46
"Last Good Time in Town" (Joe Walsh, John David Souther) – 7:07
"I Love to Watch a Woman Dance" (Larry John McNally) – 3:16
"Business as Usual" (Don Henley, Steuart Smith) – 5:31
"Center of the Universe" (Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Steuart Smith) – 3:42
"It's Your World Now" (Glenn Frey, Jack Tempchin) – 4:22

c5a3e893e7a0f214882af010.L.jpg

Celebration -- CD

Norman Brown

1999 Warner Bros. Records

The funk-jazz guitarist's new two album deal with Warner Bros. is definite cause for the title of his label debut, Celebration. His continued growth as a writer is clear, as the hooks of all nine originals stick immediately to the ears yet offer spaces for improvisations that sometimes border on his bebop days. "Together At Last" brings both worlds together, with Brown building a strong melody by altering his Ibanez's high and low tones over a subtle, rising bed of horns before breaking for a crazy flurry of notes which jump beyond the melody. His cherished vocalese style marries perfectly with trademark warm, percolating string notes on "Out'a Nowhere," which also throws a tonal twist into the mix; he'll begin a melody line on a happy high register and then conclude it on a tone so low it sounds like a bass. One of the benefits of his crossover success is working with two of the best possible producers in smooth jazz and R&B-Paul Brown and Oji Pierce (Coolio, Montel Jordan). Paul Brown has had a tendency to make many of his cuts sound like Boney James tunes, but on his five cuts here, he simply creates an atmosphere for Brown's own style and groove to come alive. His best contribution is the dreamy vibe behind the falling drops effect of the guitar on the ballad "Rain." The guitarist rises to Pierce's challenge to grow his lead vocal chops with a lush rendition of "You Make Me Feel Brand New" that rivals the Stylistics' original. Ironically, however, some of Celebration's best produced tracks are those Norman Brown did himself; on "Breaking Out," her surrounds his galloping guitar-voice tandem with the disc's most exotic percussion and soundscaping, including hypnotic drum and cymbal flourishes by Rayford Griffin. ~ Jonathan Widran

Track Listing
1. Out'a Nowhere
2. Together at Last
3. Paradise
4. You Make Me Feel Brand New
5. Celebration
6. Getting By
7. Rain
8. Never Again
9. Breaking Out
10. It's Time for Love
11. Stay Young

Personnel includes: Norman Brown (vocals, trumpet, guitar); Phajja, Vesta Williams (vocals); Herman Jackson, Rayford Griffin (keyboards, synthesizer): David Woods (keyboards, drums); Tim Heintz, David Torkanowksy, Rick Braun (keyboards); Alex Al, Larry Kimpel (bass); Paul Brown (drums); Lenny Castro, Munyungo Jackson (percussion); Lil' John (drums); Lynne Fiddmont, Tim Ownes, Sue Ann Carwell (background vocals).

adb6024128a01058957bf010.L.jpg

Come On Up -- CD

Brian Culbertson

2003 Warner Bros. Records

More Funky Than Romantic, June 30, 2003
By Chris (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come On Up (Audio CD)

In comparison to his previous release, Nice & Slow, Brian Culbertson's latest, Come on Up could also be called "Fast & Funky." This CD moves away from the predominantly soothing melodies of Nice to incorporate more horns ("Serpentine Fire," an instrumental remake of the Earth, Wind, & Fire hit, and "Funky B") and thumping bass lines ("Midnight") to go along with Culbertson's signature piano melodies. For those like me who were converted to Culbertson by Nice & Slow, "Last Night" is a gentle, flowing song that reminds one of the style of his previous release and "Days Gone By" is reminiscent of the steamy "I Could Get Used To This." As for outstanding performance, the title track "Come On Up" weaves Culbertson's infectious piano melodies with Norman Brown's stellar guitar segments to stand out as the highlight of this CD.

Other notable efforts include "Our Love," a piano ballad written for Culbertson's wedding, and the bouncy "Fly High," the only song that incorporates any vocals--and that only a chorus--and features background vocals slightly distorted through a talk box.

Overall, Brian Culbertson's Come On Up is more funky than romantic, but has enough of both to satisfy everyone.

Track Listing
1. Intro
2. Say What? - (featuring Steve Cole)
3. Midnight - (featuring Marcus Miller/Steve Cole)
4. Playin'
5. Days Gone By
6. What Up B?
7. Serpentine Fire
8. Fly High - (featuring Rahsaan Patterson)
9. Last Night - (featuring Rick Braun)
10. Come on Up - (featuring Norman Brown)
11. Our Love
12. Funky B

Personnel: Brian Culbertson (trumpet, trombone, flute, piano, FenderRhodes piano, keyboards, synthesizer, shaker, programming); Ricky Peterson (vocals, Wurlitzer piano, Hammond B-3 organ); Norman Brown (vocals, guitar); Rahsaan Patterson (vocals); Steve Cole (soprano saxophone, alto & tenor saxophones); Brian Ripp (baritone saxophone); Rick Braun, Jim Culbertson, Jerry Hey, Gary Grant (trumpet); Bill Reichenbach (trombone); Carly Bauer (flute); Stephen Lu, Dave Hutton (keyboards); Paul Jackson, Jr. (acoustic & electric guitars); Michael Thompson (electric guitar, E-bow); Steve Rodby (acoustic bass); Marcus Miller, Richard Patterson, Alex Al (bass); Oscar Seaton, Jr. (cymbals); Lenny Castro (shaker, percussion).

Today's work truck music...

a3e0024128a01210aafb6010.L.jpg

A Momentary Lapse of Reason -- CD

Pink Floyd

1987/1997 Columbia

Amazon.com

Though many predicted that Roger Waters's acrimonious split with the band after 1983's aptly named Final Cut would ultimately spell the end of Pink Floyd, the remaining band members confounded pundits by extending their status as classic rock's most ponderous dinosaurs into the 1990s and beyond. And if the title was a gentle jab at Waters after a years-long legal struggle over the Floyd moniker, the music was all too familiar; some would say even formulaic. And lest anyone doubted that the absence of Waters's dour soul would lighten things up a bit, guitarist and post facto leader Dave Gilmour gamely took on the Mantle of Conscience for topics ranging from the cold war ("The Dogs of War") to yuppie self-indulgence ("On the Turning Away"). And if this album sometimes evokes an uncomfortable feeling of a band on autopilot, it's one that can still turn out the likes of the anthemic "Learning to Fly" on cruise control. --Jerry McCulley

1. Signs of Life [Instrumental]
2. Learning to Fly
3. Dogs of War
4. One Slip
5. On the Turning Away
6. Yet Another Movie/Round and Around
7. New Machine, Pt. 1
8. Terminal Frost
9. New Machine, Pt. 2
10. Sorrow

564471a88da0d8e6d6f4d110.L.jpg

Keep This Love Alive -- CD

Tom Scott

1991 GRP Records (Import - Austria)

Incredible Music August 15, 2005
By M. Pentico
Format:Audio CD

I absolutley love this CD, as a matter of fact I am listening to it right now. The first 5 tracks are killer, with three vocal tracks including two with Bill Champlin (awesome voice). They more than make up for the remainder of the CD which does drag a little, but the sounds are still good carried by Only a Heartbeat away. The jazz is good and Tom Scott is a great sax player. I bought this on tape right when it came out and was really glad when I could get it on CD. This is not to be missed whether you are a jazz sax fan or a Bill Champlin fan. Great collection to any CD collection.

Track Listing
1. If You're Not the One for Me
2. Miz Thang
3. Keep This Love Alive
4. Kilimanjaro
5. Reason for the Rain
6. Givin' Our Best
7. Only a Heartbeat Away
8. You Mean Everything (To Me)
9. Whenever You Dream of Me

51r4K5J2u2L._SS400_.jpg

He Had A Hat -- CD

Jeff Lorber

2007 Blue Note Records

It will grow on You May 1, 2007
By Edward Maxwell
Format:Audio CD|Amazon Verified Purchase

Have you ever had a CD that you started to play and just felt like it was strictly average, only to play it a second time when you are in tune to find out that the music was really good?

That is what this CD did for me. I did not fully appreciate it the first time I played it but then I had a chance to not be distracted and the music was simply awesome.

From start to finish this CD takes you through several transitions from Smooth Jazz to Be Bop to Old school and back to Smooth Jazz. And boy does it have a flair. Jeff has outdone himself this time. The CD is really really well constructed and well put together. It is like fine wine that gets better everytime you hear it.

"Anthem For a New America"
"He Had a Hat"
"Grandma's Hands" (featuring Eric Benét)
"Surreptitious"
"All Most Blues"
"Orchid" (featuring Chris Botti)
"BC Bop"
"The Other Side of the Heart"
"Hudson"
"Super Fusion Unit"
"Eye Tunes"
"Requiem For Gandalf"
"Burn Brightly"
"Bonus Track: Deep Night"

----------

Jeff Lorber – Piano & Keyboards (All Tracks)
Eric Benet – Vocals (Track 3 & 8)
Paula Cole – Vocals (Track 8)
Hubert Laws – Flute (Tracks 9 & 11)
Bob Sheppard – Tenor Saxophone (Tracks 6 & 9)
Gerald Albright – Alto saxophone (Track 3)
Kirk Whalum – Tenor Saxophone (Track 2)
Ada Rovatti – Tenor Saxophone (Track 4)
Chris Botti – Trumpet (Tracks 6 & Bonus Track)
Randy Brecker – Trumpet & Horn Arrangement (Track 4)
Jacques Voyemant – Trombone (Track 2)
Tom Scott – Horns & Horn Arrangement (Tracks 2 & 5)
Paul Jackson Jr. – Guitar (Tracks 2, 3, 4, 8 & 10)
Paul Brown – Guitar (Track 3)
Russell Malone – Guitar (Track 13)
Brian Bromberg – Bass (Tracks 1, 5, 6, 7, 11, 12 & Bonus Track)
Alex Al – Bass (Tracks 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10 & 13)
Lenny Castro – Percussion (Tracks 2, 3, 9, 10, 12, 13 & Bonus Track)
Abe Laboriel Jr. – Drums (Tracks 1, 2, 3, 8 & 9)
Dave Weckl – Drums (Tracks 4 & 13)
Vinnie Colaiuta – Drums (Tracks 5, 6, 7, 11, 12 & Bonus Track)
Blood, Sweat & Tears – Horns (Tracks 4, 7, 9, 11 & 13)
The Lair Studio Brass Ensemble (Tracks 5, 10 & 12)
The Krim Symphonic Orchestra – Orchestrated by Jeremy Lubbock (Tracks 1 & 8)
Bobby Colomby – Producer (All Tracks)

1249453406_cover.jpg

Decisions -- CD

Wayman Tisdale

1998 Atlantic Records

When Wayman Tisdale was ten-years-old, he lay his hands for the first time on the two items which would eventually determine the dual nature of his life: a basketball and a six string guitar. Sports fans know where the first one led -- to a successful all-star career in the NBA where the 6'9" Tisdale totaled 5,000 rebounds and played for the Indiana Pacers, Sacramento Kings and Phoenix Suns. Smooth jazz enthusiasts who know nothing of his hoop life made his MoJazz albums Power Forward and In the Zone -- recorded during his off-seasons in 1995 and 1996 -- Top Ten hits on the Billboard chart. While those titles gave the impression of an athlete dabbling in a side career, his Atlantic debut Decisions -- recorded as he hung up his Air Jordans after 12 years on the court -- gets down to more serious business. Playing the bass isn't just a hobby anymore. If the guest list at Tisdale's coming out party is any indication, earning the respect of his peers can be crossed off the worry list. Keyboardist Brian Culbertson, for one, proves a melodic soulmate, matching his high ivory tones note for note with Tisdale's plucky, lower register melody on "Breakfast with Tiffany," a bouncy tune that shows Tisdale's remarkable smooth jazz radio savvy. On "Ain't No Lovin'," Tisdale takes the melodic lead with both bass and airy vocals over the subtle intertwining double keyboards of Culbertson (simulating the Rhodes) and Jerome Harmon (Hammond B-3). Tisdale also takes genre stars Gerald Albright, Norman Brown, Everette Harp, Marcus Miller and Marc Antoine downcourt for a little one on one. "The Wiz" does some stylish little double dribbling on a call and response with Albright's sax on "Bass Man" after Albright dances around Brown's crisp, Wesbound licks. Harp's soft soprano melody blends smoothly with Tisdale and Antoine's laid-back acoustic on "Fell in Love," and Antoine challenges the leader to pick up the steel string acoustic and play gingerbread man after the Frenchman's skittery nylon strings on the Latin-flavored "Mexicoco." ~ Jonathan Widran

Track listing

1. Breakfast with Tiffany
2. Bass Man
3. Ain't No Lovin'
4. Mexicoco
5. Fell in Love
6. Ready or Not
7. My Only
8. Sultry Summer
9. African Prince
10. Take the Lord Along with You
11. Louis
12. Miles Away

Mark-Egan-Truth-Be-Told.jpg

Truth Be Told -- CD

Mark Egan

2010 Wavetone Records

ONE OF THE BEST OF 2010, January 7, 2011
By Grillman (Mass. USA) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Truth Be Told (Audio CD)

I can't believe no one has reviewed this CD. This was one of the best Jazz fusion releases of 2010. Mark is an accomplished bass player and composer, and this supergroup he assembled for this recording is top notch. Great tunes, with great players and excellent recording quality by engineer Phil Magnoti. Mark has sure come a long way since his days with the Pat Metheny group and this CD is in my player all the time. Highly Recommended.

1. Frog Legs - Mark Egan Feat. Bill Evans, Vi
2. Gargoyle - Mark Egan Feat. Bill Evans, Vi
3. Truth Be Told - Mark Egan Feat. Bill Evans, Vi
4. Sea Saw - Mark Egan Feat. Bill Evans, Vi
5. CafÉ Risque - Mark Egan Feat. Bill Evans, Vi
6. Shadow Play - Mark Egan Feat. Bill Evans, Vi
7. Blue Launch - Mark Egan Feat. Bill Evans, Vi
8. Rhyme Or Reason - Mark Egan Feat. Bill Evans, Vi
9. Blue Rain - Mark Egan Feat. Bill Evans, Vi
10. Pepe - Mark Egan Feat. Bill Evans, Vi
11. After Thought - Mark Egan Feat. Bill Evans, Vi

Personnel: Mark Egan: fretted and fretless basses; Bill Evans: saxophones; Mitch Forman: keyboards; Vinnie Colaiuta: drums; Roger Squitero: percussion.

Back