• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

You are welcome Pauly, there is much to explore with Bill Frisell. :dance:

Today's work truck music.....

61C-xAi6TJL.jpg

Innervisions -- CD

Stevie Wonder

1973/1990 Motown Records

Amazon.com essential recording

One of Stevie Wonder's best albums, and the one where his more fanciful, free-form moments gel perfectly with his knack for irresistible pop singles, 1973's Innervisions swings between delicate and airy ballads, Latin-influenced rhythms (the hit "Don't Worry 'Bout a Thing"), and his own synth-heavy versions of gut-bucket soul (the determined spiritual questing of "Higher Ground"). The striking juxtaposition between "Vision," a barely breathed hope that a world of peace might be upon us, and the great "Living for the City," a funky, pulsing tale of racism, is powerful, haunting, and still all too relevant. --David Cantwell

1. "Too High" Stevie Wonder 4:36
2. "Visions" Wonder 5:23
3. "Living for the City" Wonder 7:23
4. "Golden Lady" Wonder 4:58
5. "Higher Ground" Wonder 3:43
6. "Jesus Children of America" Wonder 4:10
7. "All in Love Is Fair" Wonder 3:42
8. "Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing" Wonder 4:45
9. "He's Misstra Know-It-All" Wonder 5:35

f149419328a001542e21e110.L.jpg

Ivory Pyramid -- CD

Ramsey Lewis

1992 GRP Records

Ramsey At His Funkiest Best!!!!!!!!!!! March 24, 2006
By Beverly Praiswater
Format:Audio CD

Recorded in the early 90's, Ramsey proves that he never got lost in time. This is Ramsey with raw soul and passion.

"Brazilica" has a deep, rich bass with Ramsey on the keys doing a wild Latin sensation. You feel that you are transported to Brazil! I love the deep bass and the soft piano, the funk and the feeling in "People Make The World Go Round". There is fire as he builds this song. The title song "Ivory Pyramid" has a sensuous, jazzy side. "Sarah Jane" has an impression of purity. "A Night In Bahia" brings sweeping notes from Ramsey's keys. It is most gorgeous. A very blues-oriented "Pavane" has light and dark moments intermittently throughout. Let your hair down for the finale "Jackson Park". It's a hot one!

This cd is impressive and is just as brilliant today as it was over 10 years ago.

Track Listing
1. Brazilica
2. People Make the World Go Round
3. Ivory Pyramid
4. Sarah Jane
5. Tequila Mockingbird
6. A Night in Bahia
7. Malachi (The Messenger)
8. Pavane
9. Love's Gotta Hold
10. Jackson Park

Personnel: Ramsey Lewis (piano); Brenda Stewart, Sheila Fuller, Elisabeth Withers, Jesse Stanford, Abimelec Cruz, Jaime O. Navarro, Mario C. Johnson, Shannon Tate, Kevin F. James, Morris Stewart, Robert Lewis (vocals); Henry Johnson (guitar, acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Michael Logan, Mike Logan (keyboards); Charles Webb (upright bass, electric bass); Steve Cobb (drums, percussion).Audio Mixer: Rich Breen .Liner Note Author: Fred Binkley.Photographer: Phil Onofrio.

810LVaZGkZL_zpsf22af11c.jpg

Campo Belo -- CD

Anthony Wilson

2010 Goat Hill Recordings

The 2011 CD by guitarist Anthony Wilson is a gentle, thoughtful collection of tunes for guitar, piano (and sometimes accordion), bass, and drums, plus the occasional dash of clarinet. It's sunny, pleasant music that could easily have been released on ECM. Wilson's ultra-clean playing style falls into the Jim Hall/Joe Morris range, which makes it simultaneously quite pretty and kind of forgettable once the track in question is finished playing itself out. A little more of a Grant Green-style bite might have made this record more than a nice soundtrack to a late spring brunch. That's the problem with so much Brazilian music, though, it's so light and fluffy, it just drifts away while you're listening to it. Jazz listeners who aren't looking for a record that will sink its claws into their heart and never let go, or leave them breathless in the face of its virtuosity, but who, instead, just want to hear some nice, pretty songs for an hour or so could do a whole lot worse than this very well played, carefully arranged, and impeccably produced set of tunes. ~ Phil Freeman

Track Listing
1. Campo Belo
2. March to March
3. Edu
4. After the Flood
5. Patrimonio
6. Elyria
7. Valsacatu
8. Flor de Sumar‚
9. Etna
10. Transitron

Personnel: Anthony Wilson (guitar); Andr‚ Mehmari (piano); Ed£ Ribeiro (drums).Audio Mixer: Michael C. Ross .Recording information: Na Cena Studios, Sao Paulo (09/2010).

51lF3xy1xAL.jpg

The Ben Webster/Harry Edison '56/'57 Complete Sessions -- Remastered CD

Billie Holiday

2012 Phoenix Records (Import)

Ben Webster/Harry Edison Sessions album by Billie Holiday was released Apr 24, 2012 on the Phoenix (Jazz) label. The complete memorable recordings made by Billie Holiday in 1956-57 backed by a small group including Ben Webster, HarryEdison, Jimmy Rowles and Barney Kessel.

Disc 1

Do Nothin Till You Hear From Me

Cheek To Cheek

Ill Wind

Speak Low

We Ll Be Together Again

All Or Nothing At All

Sophisticated Lady

April In Paris

I Wished On The Moon

Moonlight In Vermont

A Foggy Day

Comes Love (Version 1)

I Didn T Know What Time It Was

Just One Of Those Things

Comes Love (Version 2)

Day In, Day Out

But Not For Me

Disc 2

Darn That Dream

Body And Soul

Just Friends

Stars Fell On Alabama

Say It Isn T So

Love Is Here To Stay

One For My Baby

(And One More For The Road)

They Can T Take That Away From Me

Embraceable You

Let S Call The Whole Thing Off

Gee, Baby, Ain T I Good To You

Announcement By Johnny Mercer

Lady Be Good (Theme)

Nice Work If You Can Get It

Willow, Weep For Me

My Man

Lover, Come Back To Me

Lady Sings The Blues

What A Little Moonlight Can Do

Lady Be Good

(Theme & Closing Announcements)

Dennie said:
517FGq2tSKL._SS500_.jpg

Tigerlily -- DVD-A

Natalie Merchant

2000 Elektra Entertainment

Like hearing it for the first time, December 21, 2000
By Sean Harding (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily (DVD-Audio) (DVD Audio)

When Natalie Merchant announced her departure from 10,000 Maniacs, there was much speculation about whether or not she would be able to match the quality of the Maniacs songs in a solo career. On my first listen through the Tigerlily CD in the summer of 1995, I knew for sure that Natalie had come through. Tigerlily was an amazing album. When I popped the DVD-Audio disc in my player and began listening, it was like the first time all over again. It's the same beautiful music and the same incredible songwriting, but the sound is exceptional.

The surround mix adds a quality to the music that can't easily be described in words, and the depth of the sound easily outpaces that of the CD. I found myself noticing subtle elements to each song that I had never heard before. Each instrument stands on its own, with much better seperation than exists in the stereo mix on the CD. Just to be sure I wasn't hallucinating, I listened to a track from the CD and then immediately listened to the DVD version. No contest. This is no minor difference. It's amazing.

As previous reviews have noted, you need a DVD-Audio player to take full advantage of the disc. The disc does contain Dolby Digital tracks, so it will play on a regular DVD player, but you won't be getting the best possible sound from it. This is not a video DVD, so don't expect movies, music videos or anything else. Buy this disc for the music, not for extras.

San Andreas Fault – 3:57
Wonder – 4:26
Beloved Wife – 5:03
River – 5:32
Carnival – 5:59
I May Know the Word – 8:07
The Letter – 2:12
Cowboy Romance – 4:39
Jealousy – 2:41
Where I Go – 3:59
Seven Years – 5:31

Damn, that must sound great!

heeman said:
Dennie said:
517FGq2tSKL._SS500_.jpg

Tigerlily -- DVD-A

Natalie Merchant

2000 Elektra Entertainment

Like hearing it for the first time, December 21, 2000
By Sean Harding (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily (DVD-Audio) (DVD Audio)

When Natalie Merchant announced her departure from 10,000 Maniacs, there was much speculation about whether or not she would be able to match the quality of the Maniacs songs in a solo career. On my first listen through the Tigerlily CD in the summer of 1995, I knew for sure that Natalie had come through. Tigerlily was an amazing album. When I popped the DVD-Audio disc in my player and began listening, it was like the first time all over again. It's the same beautiful music and the same incredible songwriting, but the sound is exceptional.

The surround mix adds a quality to the music that can't easily be described in words, and the depth of the sound easily outpaces that of the CD. I found myself noticing subtle elements to each song that I had never heard before. Each instrument stands on its own, with much better seperation than exists in the stereo mix on the CD. Just to be sure I wasn't hallucinating, I listened to a track from the CD and then immediately listened to the DVD version. No contest. This is no minor difference. It's amazing.

As previous reviews have noted, you need a DVD-Audio player to take full advantage of the disc. The disc does contain Dolby Digital tracks, so it will play on a regular DVD player, but you won't be getting the best possible sound from it. This is not a video DVD, so don't expect movies, music videos or anything else. Buy this disc for the music, not for extras.

San Andreas Fault – 3:57
Wonder – 4:26
Beloved Wife – 5:03
River – 5:32
Carnival – 5:59
I May Know the Word – 8:07
The Letter – 2:12
Cowboy Romance – 4:39
Jealousy – 2:41
Where I Go – 3:59
Seven Years – 5:31

Damn, that must sound great!

You know it. :eusa-clap: It really, really does! :text-bravo:

Dennie :dance:

^I listened to this last week...this is version we own...

0014ea18_medium.jpeg

Super audio CD.

Luv, luv Natalie!!!!

I enjoyed several from Tigerlily. But all of my favorites from her, hands down for Babs, are from 'Ophelia'. I have listened to it countless times!!!!

51UVX5HKIiL._SS500_.jpg

Kind of Blue -- Remastered 20-Bit CD

Miles Davis

1959/1997 Columbia Legacy

This is the one jazz record owned by people who don't listen to jazz, and with good reason. The band itself is extraordinary (proof of Miles Davis's masterful casting skills, if not of God's existence), listing John Coltrane and Julian "Cannonball" Adderley on saxophones, Bill Evans (or, on "Freddie Freeloader," Wynton Kelly) on piano, and the crack rhythm unit of Paul Chambers on bass and Jimmy Cobb on drums. Coltrane's astringency on tenor is counterpoised to Adderley's funky self on alto, with Davis moderating between them as Bill Evans conjures up a still lake of sound on which they walk. Meanwhile, the rhythm partnership of Cobb and Chambers is prepared to click off time until eternity. It was the key recording of what became modal jazz, a music free of the fixed harmonies and forms of pop songs. In Davis's men's hands it was a weightless music, but one that refused to fade into the background. In retrospect every note seems perfect, and each piece moves inexorably towards its destiny. --John Szwed

All songs composed by Miles Davis (see content section for more information). Only six complete takes of the five tunes on the album exist, indicated by the song numbers.

"So What" – 9:22
"Freddie Freeloader" – 9:46
"Blue in Green" – 5:37
"All Blues" – 11:33
"Flamenco Sketches" – 9:26

Reissue bonus track

"Flamenco Sketches" (Alternate take) – 9:32

Babs said:
^I listened to this last week...this is version we own...

0014ea18_medium.jpeg

Super audio CD.

Luv, luv Natalie!!!!

I enjoyed several from Tigerlily. But all of my favorites from her, hands down for Babs, are from 'Ophelia'. I have listened to it countless times!!!!
That's a great version and I agree, "Ophillia" is Top Notch! :text-bravo:

Dennie

e72e81b0c8a03bf8ad2da110.L.jpg

Bridge Over Troubled Water -- CD

Simon & Garfunkel

1970/2001 Columbia Legacy

No one can say Simon & Garfunkel went out with a whimper. The popular duo's 1970 swan song produced four hit singles and won six Grammy awards, including Record, Album, and Song of the Year. An involving mix of sweeping epics ("The Boxer," the title track) and breezy throwaways (a live cover of the Everly Brothers' "Bye Bye Love," the rock & roll trifle "Baby Driver"), Bridge was one of the most popular albums of its era. What's particularly striking about this collection is how brightly lesser-acclaimed songs like "So Long Frank Lloyd Wright" and the gorgeous "The Only Living Boy in New York" shine. (The 2001 reissue adds a pair of demos to the original work, including the traditional "Feuilles-O.")--Steven Stolder

Side 1

1. "Bridge Over Troubled Water" – 4:52
Recorded: November 9, 1969 [3]
2. "El Condor Pasa (If I Could)" (Daniel Alomía Robles, English lyrics by Paul Simon, arranged by Jorge Milchberg) – 3:06
Recorded: November 2, 1969
3. "Cecilia" – 2:55
Recorded: November 2, 1969
4. "Keep the Customer Satisfied" – 2:33
Recorded: October 27, 1969
5. "So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright" – 3:41
Recorded: October 28, 1969

Side 2

1. "The Boxer" – 5:08
Recorded: November 16, 1968
2. "Baby Driver" – 3:14
Recorded: November 19, 1968
3. "The Only Living Boy in New York" – 3:58
Recorded: November 15, 1969
4. "Why Don't You Write Me" – 2:45
Recorded: June 13, 1969
5. "Bye Bye Love" (Felice and Boudleaux Bryant) (live recording from Ames, Iowa) – 2:55
Recorded: November 14, 1969
6. "Song for the Asking" – 1:39
Recorded: November 1, 1969

Bonus tracks (2001 CD reissue)

1. "Feuilles-O" [Demo] (Traditional) – 1:45
Recorded: August 11, 1969
2. "Bridge over Troubled Water" [Demo Take 6] – 4:46
Recorded: August 13, 1969

61RfcvBmt3L._SS500_.jpg

Good To Go-Go -- SACD

Spyro Gyra

2007 Heads Up Records

Amazon.com

Spyro Gyra leader Jay Beckenstein credits the addition of Trinidadian drummer Bonny B with juicing the long-running contemporary jazz band's sound, making it more "live-sounding." Wherever the stimulus came from, Good to Go-Go is one of the more forceful albums by Beckenstein and company. The drummer's Caribbean-style "Jam Up," featuring Andy Narell on steel drums and Bonny B on vocals, is infectious in a tightly wound way and melodically flavorful. With its modern harmonies, "The Left Band," with Christian Howe's guesting on violin, has an edge most such music lacks. Elsewhere, Spyro Gyra's funk-based sound is boosted by Julio Fernandez's wired guitar and lyrically colored by Tom Schuman's unplugged piano. This is the band's 26th album. Three decades on, it would seem, it is entering a promising new phase. --Lloyd Sachs

"Simple Pleasures" (Jay Beckenstein) – 5:50
"Get Busy" (Tom Schuman) – 5:19
"Jam Up" (Bonny Bonaparte) – 4:15
"The Left Bank" (Jay Beckenstein) – 5:40
"Funkyard Dog" (Julio Fernandez) – 5:02
"Along for the Ride" (Julio Fernandez) – 6:45
"Island Time" (Scott Ambush) – 6:23
"Wassup!" (Tom Schuman) – 4:45
"Easy Street" (Jay Beckenstein) – 5:02
"A Winter Tale" (Jay Beckenstein) – 6:34
"Good to Go-Go" (Scott Ambush) – 6:41
"Newroses" (Jay Beckenstein, Julio Fernandez) – 6:46

51c8c060ada05b1b30688110.L.jpg

Stardust -- 2 CD Set

Willie Nelson

1977/2008 Columbia Legacy

Two CD set/Digipak includes the original classic album plus a 16 track bonus disc highlighting his further excursions into the Great American Songbook. Willie Nelson is a singer, songwriter and actor. He is widely regarded as one of the most beloved and notorious country music singers. He reached his greatest fame during the so-called "outlaw country" movement of the 1970s, but remains iconic, especially in American popular culture. Willie Nelson is loved across around the world by many generations with his timeless songs of the common person struggling in this life and making the best of circumstances.

"Stardust" (Hoagy Carmichael, Mitchell Parish) – 3:53
"Georgia on My Mind" (Hoagy Carmichael, Stuart Gorrell) – 4:20
"Blue Skies" (Irving Berlin) – 3:34
"All of Me" (Seymour Simons, Gerald Marks) – 3:54
"Unchained Melody" (Alex North, Hy Zaret) – 3:50
"September Song" (Kurt Weill, Maxwell Anderson) – 4:35
"On the Sunny Side of the Street" (Jimmy McHugh, Dorothy Fields) – 2:36
"Moonlight in Vermont" (Karl Suessdorf, John Blackburn) – 3:25
"Don't Get Around Much Anymore" (Duke Ellington, Bob Russell) – 2:33
"Someone to Watch Over Me" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) – 4:03

In 2008, Columbia Records issued a version of Stardust subtitled 30th Anniversary Legacy Edition. The album contained a 16 track bonus disc of standards from Nelson's other albums. None of the bonus tracks date to the original Stardust sessions.

"What a Wonderful World" (George David Weiss, Bob Thiele)
"Basin Street Blues" (Spencer Williams)
"I'm Confessin' (That I Love You)" (D. Dougherty, E. Reynolds, A. Neiburg)
"I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter" (Fred E. Ahlert, Joe Young)
"The Gypsy" (Billy Reid)
"Mona Lisa" (Jay Livingston, Ray Evans)
"Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive" (Johnny Mercer, Harold Arlen)
"Ole Buttermilk Sky" (Hoagy Carmichael, J. Brooks)
"That Lucky Old Sun" (Haven Gillespie, Beasley Smith)
"Little Things Mean a Lot" (E. Calisch, C. Stutz)
"Cry" (Churchill Kohlman)
"You'll Never Know" (Mack Gordon, Harry Warren)
"Tenderly" (Jack Lawrence, Walter Lloyd Gross)
"Stormy Weather" (Harold Arlen, Ted Koehler)
"One for My Baby (and One More for the Road)" (Johnny Mercer, Harold Arlen)
"Angel Eyes" (Earl Brent, Matt Dennis)

146dc060ada0d6464176f110.L.jpg

155162.jpg

First Take -- CD

Roberta Flack

1969/1995 Atlantic Records

Although originally released in 1969, FIRST TAKE languished in obscurity until noted jazz fan Clint Eastwood chose Roberta Flack's haunting, minimalist reinterpretation of Scottish folkie Ewan MacColl's "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" ... Full Descriptionto score a love scene in his 1972 film PLAY MISTY FOR ME. Latter-day fans of that single and Flack's later smooth soul hits might be surprised at the overall sound of FIRST TAKE.

Recorded with a small combo of jazz giants--guitarist John Pizzarelli, bassist Ron Carter, and drummer Ray Lucas, with Flack on piano--and produced by Atlantic's house eccentric Joel Dorn, FIRST TAKE is a jazz album with soul and pop influences. The recording has more in common with Nina Simone, or even Dorn's work with eclectic reedsman Rahsaan Roland Kirk, than mainstream soul divas of the 1970s. Flack's utterly controlled, elegant vocal style and her churchy piano chords root this album, which has a stately power and deliberate grace even at its most soulful--particularly on a call-and-response version of the spiritual "I Told Jesus" and the heartbreaking "Angelitos Negros."

1. "Compared to What" (Gene McDaniels) - 5:16
2. "Angelitos Negros" (Andres Eloy Blanco, Manuel Alvarez Maciste) - 6:56
3. "Our Ages or Our Hearts" (Robert Ayers, Donny Hathaway) - 6:09
4. "I Told Jesus" (Traditional) - 6:09
5. "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye" (Leonard Cohen) - 4:08
6. "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" (Ewan MacColl) - 5:22
7. "Tryin' Times" (Donny Hathaway, Leroy Hutson) - 5:08
8. "Ballad of the Sad Young Men" (Fran Landesman, Tommy Wolf) - 7:00

517IW0A%2B3aL.jpg

The Spirit of 176 -- SACD

George Shearing and Hank Jones

1989/2003 Concord Records

George Shearing and Hank Jones have always been very well-rounded pianists fully capable of playing unaccompanied solos. Their unique matchup as a two-piano duo on this Concord release works surprisingly well for the two pianists manage to stay out of each other's way and the ensembles are not overcrowded. The pianists tackle colorful material including "Angel Eyes," and Thelonious Monk's "I Mean You," an original apiece, Mary Lou Williams's "Lonely Moments," "Star Eyes" and "Confirmation," and the results are swinging and tasteful. This somewhat obscure Concord CD is worth investigating. ~ Scott Yanow

1. Oh, Look at Me Now
2. Angel Eyes
3. I Mean You
4. You Don't Know What Love Is
5. To Hank Jones
6. Minor Contention
7. Ask Me Now
8. Triste
9. Take a Good Look
10. Sweet Lorraine
11. Young No More
12. Lonely Moments
13. Star Eyes
14. Confirmation

Personnel: George Shearing (piano); Hank Jones (piano).Recorded at A&R Studios, New York, New York in March 1988.

71j4RCXWJJL.png

Pride & Joy -- SACD

Kevin Mahogany

2002 Telarc Records

Kevin Mahogany's decision to cover Motown hits in a jazz setting stems from his desire to not only increase the audience for jazz, but to add new material to the music's repertoire, in addition to the established standards. The results are ear-opening, particularly for those who never seriously listened to the likes of Marvin Gaye or Smokey Robinson. Mahogany, whose richly textured baritone helped him become one of the top male jazz vocalists to emerge during the 1990s, arranged several of the tracks, including the stark "My World Is Empty Without You," where his only backing is provided by bassist Melissa Slocum and percussionist Don Alias, as well as a swinging treatment of "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game." The singer is backed by a quartet of singers for catchy doo wop interpretations of "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" and "Reach Out I'll Be There." Pianist James Weidman, who provides just the right support on six of the CD's 11 tracks, is the sole accompanist and arranger of "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)," reworking this huge hit into a lush ballad. Gaye's "Pride and Joy," arranged by guitarist Dave Stryker, is recast in a driving hard bop setting, featuring Mahogany's scat exchanges with the muted trumpet of Jon Faddis. Stryker also contributed the tasty chart of "I Can't Get Next to You" and a startling, very slow ballad treatment of "The Tears of a Clown," where his acoustic guitar is the only backing for Mahogany's magical vocals. This stunning release is heartily recommended. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)
2. Pride and Joy
3. I Can't Get Next to You
4. Neither One of Us (Want to Be the First to Say Goodbye)
5. Tears of a Clown
6. Reach Out I'll Be There
7. My World Is Empty Without You
8. Never Can Say Goodbye
9. She's Out of My Life
10. Hunter Gets Captured by the Game, The
11. Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)

Personnel: Kevin Mahogany (vocals); Gregory Clark, Todd Johnson (tenor saxophone); Gerald Trottman (baritone saxophone); Jon Faddis (trumpet, flugelhorn); James Weidman (piano); Dave Stryker (guitar); Peter Eldridge, Melissa Slocum (bass); Charles Haynes (drums); Don Alias (percussion).Recorded at Sear Sound, New York, New York on October 25-27, 2001. Includes liner notes by Kevin Mahogany.This is a hybrid Super Audio CD playable on both regular and Super Audio CD players.

51MCnNJ-4rL.jpg

Walkin' -- CD

George Shearing

1995 Telarc Records

Shearing is often in joyous form on the uptempo tracks of this well-paced trio date. Highlights include such bop classics as "That's Earl, Brother," Bud Powell's "Celia" and "Subconscious Lee" along with a couple of familiar blues. In contrast the ballads are generally rather melancholy affairs with the pianist wringing as much emotion as possible out of each note. Neil Swainson contributes fluid bass solos and alert accompaniment while Grady Tate plays supportive drums. Shearing (in his early 70s at the time of this recording) is heard near his creative peak throughout this consistently enjoyable live set. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. That's Earl, Brother
2. My One and Only Love
3. Pensativa
4. Walkin'
5. When She Makes Music
6. Celia
7. Subconscious Lee
8. Suddenly It's Spring
9. Bags' Groove
10. Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye
11. Loot to Boot

Personnel: George Shearing (piano), Neil Swainson (bass), Grady Tate (drums).Recorded live at the Blue Note, New York on February 27-29, 1992.

Another new find.

The music is electronic ( trip-hop ) but Beth Gibbons voice is smooth as silk.

"Glory Box" brought my attention to them.

"Give me a reason to love you
Give me a reason to be
A woman
I just wanna be a woman"

portishead-dummy.jpg

This sound track has me looking for the DVD.

51rn%2BLTycAL.jpg

3e191b2a433fe3863e02a477b38_prev.jpg

Pres and Teddy -- Remastered CD

The Lester Young - Teddy Wilson Quartet

1956/1986 Verve Records

Floating over bar lines using a light, airy tone, Lester Young redefined (and refined) the tenor saxophone. A nonconformist, Young's sound soon overshadowed Coleman Hawkins' thicker, more abrasive style. Indeed, Young's approach influenced most of the new wave of saxophonists to come out of the 1950s. On PRES AND TEDDY, we hear Young (nicknamed Pres) teamed up with the great pianist Teddy Wilson, who himself, is one of three definitive swing era pianists (the other two being Earl Hines and Art Tatum).PRES AND TEDDY is a small group outing that also highlights the talents of bassist Gene Ramey and drummer Jo Jones. This is straight-ahead, no bull jazz that doesn't cross too many stylistic boundaries. Recorded in 1956, tinges of cool jazz color the playing and feel of the record. Still, the band's swing roots shine through, making this release more closely aligned with earlier genres of jazz. Highlights include the medium bounce "Louise" and the bluesy "Pres Returns."

Track Listing
1. All of Me
2. Prisoner of Love
3. Louise
4. Love Me or Leave Me
5. Taking a Chance on Love
6. Our Love Is Here to Stay
7. Pres Returns - (bonus track)

Personnel: Lester Young (tenor saxophone); Teddy Wilson (piano); Gene Ramey (bass); Jo Jones (drums).Recorded in New York, New York on January 13, 1956. Includes original release liner notes by Bill Simon.Digitally remastered by Dennis Drake.

LesterYoungTheJazzGiants_zps2c3908c6.jpg

The Jazz Giants -- Remastered CD

Lester Young

1956/1991 Verve Records

Most critics agree that Lester Young's 1950's recordings were flawed. His seminal work is from the mid to late '40s. However, THE JAZZ GIANTS, from 1956, proves otherwise. Young's performance on this set is quite inspired, although some critics contend that this was due to the superb interplay between the musicians (trumpeter Roy Eldridge, trombonist Vic Dickerson, and others).On tunes such as "I Didn't Know What Time It Was," "Gigantic Blues," and others, Young plays with his usual light and feathery touch. Roy Eldridge, who employs a brassy, more roughhewn approach, is the perfect match to Young's smooth, sparse playing. Indeed, this variety adds spice and momentum to each tune. THE JAZZ GIANTS is definitely Lester Young's best work from his later period.

Track Listing
1. I Guess I'll Have to Change My Plan
2. I Didn't Know What Time It Was
3. Gigantic Blues
4. This Year's Kisses
5. You Can Depend on Me

Personnel: Lester Young (tenor saxophone); Roy Eldridge (trumpet); Vic Dickenson (trombone); Teddy Wilson (piano); Freddie Green (guitar); Gene Ramey (bass); Jo Jones (drums).Recorded at Fine Sound, New York, New York on January 12, 1956.Digitally remastered by Dennis Drake.

Back