• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

8665225b9da0695f62362110.L.jpg

The World Is A Ghetto -- CD

War

1992 Avenue Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Best known for its distinctive fusion of Latin-flavored jazz, funk, rock, and soul, War was unquestionably one of the most successful fusion bands to emerge in the early '70s. Initially working with Eric Burdon, former lead singer with the British '60s band the Animals, the seven-member team enjoyed a commercial breakthrough with 1971's "All Day Music." The follow-up, The World Is a Ghetto took War mainstream thanks to the crossover success of the title track, a top 10 pop and R&B smash as 1972 became 1973. Cuts like the 13-minute-plus jazz-flavored adventure known as "City, Country, City" alongside the witty "Where Was You At" and the eerie "Four Cornered Room" were standouts on the six-track album. But it was the immediacy of the No. 2 pop single "The Cisco Kid," with its catchy hook that helped give the band a chart-topping No. 1 gold-selling album in 1973, arguably the best representation of its work as groove pioneers of the day. --David Nathan

1. Cisco Kid - War, Allen, Thomas
2. Where Was You At - War, Allen, Sylvester
3. City, Country, City - War, Allen, Thomas
4. Four Cornered Room - War, War
5. The World Is a Ghetto - War, Allen, Papa Dee
6. Beetles in the Bog - War, Warner, Richard

51XE8POgBaL._SS500_.jpg

In Through The Out Door -- CD

Led Zeppelin

1979/1994 Swan Song/Atlantic Records

Amazon.com

Though the band likely didn't know it at the time, this would prove to be the last studio record by one of the most famous rock & roll bands in the world. Drummer John Bonham died shortly after its release. Although nothing compares to early Led Zeppelin--and they lost many longtime fans in the late 1970s--this LP is nothing to be embarrassed by. They were quick to embrace and experiment with synthesizers, and while it wears a little thin by record's end (the synth-bloated "Carouselambra" and the slick AOR hit "All My Love"), it adds a certain majestic tone to the heavy-hitting opener, "In the Evening," and gives a rollicking good-time feel to "South Bound Suarez." Plant's howl and Page's bluesy guitars are in fine form on "I'm Gonna Crawl" and the lilting "Fool in the Rain" recalls the pretty numbers from their early career. --Lorry Fleming

Side one
No. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "In the Evening" Jones, Page, Plant 6:49
2. "South Bound Saurez" Jones, Plant 4:12
3. "Fool in the Rain" Jones, Page, Plant 6:12
4. "Hot Dog" Page, Plant 3:17
Side two
No. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "Carouselambra" Jones, Page, Plant 10:32
2. "All My Love" Jones, Plant 5:51
3. "I'm Gonna Crawl" Jones, Page, Plant 5:30

51twlCGOLSL.jpg

Listen Here! -- CD

The Gene Harris Quartet

1989 Concord Records

Although often associated with the blues, only one of the ten selections on this quartet set by pianist Gene Harris (who is joined by guitarist Ron Eschete, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer Jeff Hamilton) is technically a blues. On this excellent all-around showcase for the soulful pianist, Harris sounds in prime form exploring such tunes as "This Masquerade," "Don't Be That Way," Eddie Harris' "Listen Here," and "The Song Is Ended." Listen Here! gives listeners a pretty definitive look at Gene Harris' accessible and swinging style. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. This Masquerade
2. Don't Be That Way
3. I've Got a Feeling I'm Falling
4. Listen Here
5. This Can't Be Love
6. To You
7. Blues for Jezebel
8. Sweet and Lovely
9. Lullabye
10. The Song Is Ended

Gene Harris Quartet: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Ray Brown (bass); Jeff Hamilton (drums).Recorded at The Plant Recording Studios, Sausalito, California in March 1989.

WorkPictures179.jpg

Avalon -- Mini Lp - CD

Roxy Music

1982 Virgin Records

Progressive rock savants Roxy Music reinvented themselves as the avatars of caviar dreams and champagne wishes on this smooth-as-$1,000-cognac 1982 disc. By this point in their jagged discography, Roxy had become little more than Bowie-esque lead singer Bryan Ferry's backup band, with his regal tone ensconced somewhere between the synth-fetish of Ultravox and a friskier Scott Walker. Seemingly gone were the band's herky-jerky days as a democratically run outfit--Avalon's syrupy, New Romantic tone is worlds away from the era when Brian Eno's unpredictable keyboard noodles or Phil Manzanera's rocket-fuel guitar defined the proceedings. The exquisite "More Than This" and the moody title cut give the decadence of Robin Leach's '80s a dignity that those times probably didn't deserve. But even if the Reagan years didn't sound to you like new wave for social climbers, as a soundtrack to upscale daydreaming, Avalon beats an episode of Dynasty hands down. --Don Harrison

1. "More Than This" – 4:30
2. "The Space Between" – 4:30
3. "Avalon" – 4:16
4. "India" – 1:44
5. "While My Heart Is Still Beating" (Ferry/Mackay) – 3:26
6. "The Main Thing" – 3:54
7. "Take a Chance with Me" (Ferry/Manzanera) – 4:42
8. "To Turn You On" – 4:16
9. "True to Life" – 4:25
10. "Tara" (Ferry/Mackay) – 1:43

51UyHppYG8L.jpg

In The Flesh (Live)-- 2 CD Set

Roger Waters

2000 Columbia Records

With IN THE FLESH, ex-Pink Floyd vocalist, bassist, and genius behind THE WALL Roger Waters releases a superbly recorded live album that covers his entire career. Acknowledging that his old band has performed DARK SIDE OF THE MOON many times, and that a live version of THE WALL was recently released, Waters delivers a set of FM staples, mixed with rarities that aficionados will appreciate.Floyd classics are given new twists, such as the female vocals on "Mother," and Waters' singing lead on "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2." Going back to Pink Floyd's psychedelic early days, the seven-minute "Set the Controls For the Heart of the Sun" is performed both eerily and masterfully. "Perfect Sense (Parts I and II)" works as an excellent crowd singalong, and is wonderful companion material to the previously mentioned Floyd albums. "Each Small Candle," the only new song in the set, and the centerpiece of an upcoming album, shows that Waters is as creative as he's ever been. IN THE FLESH--LIVE is perfect for those who want to relive these dramatic performances, and those who want a document of a compelling live concert.

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. In the Flesh
2. The Happiest Days of Our Lives
3. Pt. 2 Another Brick in the Wall
4. Mother
5. Get Your Filthy Hands off My Desert
6. Southhampton Dock
7. Pt. 1 Pigs on the Wing
8. Dogs
9. Welcome to the Machine
10. Wish You Were Here
11. Pts. 1-8 Shine on You Crazy Diamond
12. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

DISC 2:
1. Breathe (In the Air)
2. Time
3. Money
4. Pt. 11 (aka 5:06 AM- Every Stranger's Ey Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking
5. Pts. 1-2 Perfect Sense
6. The Bravery of Being out of Range
7. It's a Miracle
8. Amused to Death
9. Brain Damage
10. Eclipse
11. Comfortably Numb
12. Each Small Candle - (previously unreleased)

Personnel: Roger Waters (vocals, guitar, bass); Jon Carin (vocals, guitar, lap steel, keyboards, programming); Andy Fairweather Low (vocals, guitar, bass); Doyle Bramhall II (vocals, guitar); Katie Kissoon, Susannah Melvoin, P P Arnold (vocals); Snowy White (guitar); Andy Wallace (Hammond organ, keyboards).Recorded live at The Rose Garden Arena, Portland, Oregon; America West Arena, Phoenix, Arizona; MGM Grand Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Irvine, California. Includes liner notes by Roger Waters. [/img]

51CQq2UsCeL.jpg

Bean Bags -- Remastered HDCD

Milt Jackson, Coleman Hawkins

1959/1998 Atlantic/Koch Jazz

Many of vibraphonist Milt Jackson's Atlantic recordings are long overdue to appear on CD, and that certainly includes Bean Bags, which features a meeting with the great tenor Coleman Hawkins. Assisted by a top-notch quartet (pianist Tommy Flanagan, guitarist Kenny Burrell, bassist Eddie Jones, and drummer Connie Kay), Bean Bags romps through "Stuffy," "Get Happy," a pair of Jackson originals, and two fine ballads, with "Don't Take Your Love From Me" being particularly memorable. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Close Your Eyes
2. Stuffy
3. Don't Take Your Love From Me
4. Get Happy
5. Sandra's Blues
6. Indian Blues

Personnel: Milt Jackson (vibraphone); Coleman Hawkins (tenor saxophone); Tommy Flanagan (piano); Kenny Burrell (guitar); Eddie Jones (bass) Connie Kay (drums).Producer: Nesuhi Ertegun.Reissue producers: Donald Elfman, Naomi Yoshii.Recorded in New York, New York on September 12, 1959. Originally released on Atlantic (1316). Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff.Digitally remastered by Gene Paul (DB Plus, New York, New York).

0000602330_500.jpg

Southland of the Heart -- 20 Bit CD

Maria Muldaur

1998 Telarc Records

Gospel According to Maria Muldaur
, January 21, 2002
By Lee Armstrong (Winterville, NC United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Southland of the Heart (Audio CD)

This is a great set of Muldaur songs, tinged with her gospel influences and religious understandings. "Ring Me Up" opens with a propulsive beat, bright background vocals & an addictive melody to make it a great CD opener. "Get Up, Get Ready" is a slow jazz gospel, "I'm gonna see my friends, I'm gonna see my Savior when this highway finally ends." The title track is a bit softer with horns and an interesting lyric, "When the sun comes up an enemy & nothing gives you shame." "Latersville" is a smoky jazz homage to good times late at night. It's got a great electric guitar part. Cymbals tap on the slow, passionate "Think About You." "There's A Devil on the Loose" is a peppy number with a laundry list of the world's ills including teenage pregnancy, murder and drugs. "Fool's Paradise" is a driving jazz blast. A beautiful piano plays as Maria sings, "I want to spend my life loving you" on "One Short Life." "If I Were You" is a soulful tease with a great beat, "No one will love you like I do." "Someday When We're Both Alone" is a slow mournful blues about unrequited love. "Blues Gives a Lesson" is a slow lounge tune that sways, "You might be a playboy, a big time Romeo." Maria Muldaur is in great voice with great soul jazz gospel influences. Enjoy!

Track listing

1. Ring Me Up
2. Get up, Get Ready
3. Southland of the Heart
4. Latersville
5. Think About You
6. There's a Devil on the Loose
7. Fool's Paradise
8. One Short Life
9. If I Were You
10. Someday When We're Both Alone
11. Blues Gives a Lesson

Reminder: Sarah's new album "Build Me Up From Bones" comes out on Tuesday. :banana-dance:

51lA5qA3TxL._SS500_.jpg

Follow Me Down -- CD

Sarah Jarosz

2011 Sugarhill Records

A Beautiful Album, May 18, 2011
By James Johnson (Wasco, Ca. USA) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Follow Me Down (Audio CD)

FOLLOW ME DOWN is a beautiful album. I loved every cut. I'm a basic roots guy and normally indie rock and young woman singer-songwriter fare make me think about organizing my sock drawer, but Jarosz's soulful singing, fluid musicality and surprising twists make everything interesting. This CD is going to be riding in my pickup for a long time.

SONG UP IN HER HEAD was one of my favorite albums of 2009 but I think FOLLOW ME DOWN represents growth across the board. Her music has become more sophisticated, more expansive and richer without losing that mystic, bluesy, old-timey, "mountain soul" sound that makes Jarosz so special. She's changed the bathwater but the baby's still there.

FOLLOW ME DOWN is the third wonderful "roots +" album that I've purchased recently, joining Crooked Still's SOME STRANGE COUNTRY and Abigail Washburn's CITY OF REFUGE. These are exciting times for roots based acoustic music.

1. Run Away
2. Come Around
3. Annabelle Lee
4. Ring Them Bells
5. My Muse
6. Floating In The Balance
7. Old Smitty
8. The Tourist
9. Here Nor There
10. Gypsy
11. Peace

^-- ... and I'm seeing her live on Wednesday! Was just listening to her first album, Song Up In Her Head, this afternoon. Still my favorite, though Follow Me Down is a winner too. Can't wait to hear the new one!

PaulyT said:
^-- ... and I'm seeing her live on Wednesday! Was just listening to her first album, Song Up In Her Head, this afternoon. Still my favorite, though Follow Me Down is a winner too. Can't wait to hear the new one!

Well, enjoy the show. I bet you are in for a treat! :music-rockout:

Dennie :eusa-clap:

51t0rgUKmGL._SS400_.jpg

Supply and Demand -- CD

Amos Lee

2006 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

Born to be mild? Amos Lee's sophomore effort for Blue Note follows firmly in the gentle guitar strums of his well-received 2005 debut and opening slots for Norah Jones and Bob Dylan. Little has changed the second time around, which will come as a relief to those enthralled by his first release. He remains a sensitive sort, mixing his insightful, reflective lyrics with lovely, unforced melodies played by backing musicians that stay on low boil. These tunes go down as smoothly as hot chocolate on a cold day, yet Lee brings an unassuming sincerity to the proceedings with his cozy, amiable voice. Comparisons to Bill Withers and James Taylor are accurate if inevitable, but when the gospel organ quivers into "Skipping Stone," it's clear Lee isn't stuck in a folk-pop rut.

Lee's approach is similar to the way Keb' Mo' treats the blues--he injects his cushy personality into an established genre, writes good if somewhat casual songs, and doesn't push the envelope too far. The final third of the album is perhaps too mellow, and a few midtempo tracks could have perked things up. But adult-contemporary fans looking for dependable Sunday morning music will welcome Supply and Demand as a quality follow-up brimming with subtle soul, style, and sophistication. --Hal Horowitz

Track Listing
1. Shout out Loud
2. Sympathize
3. Freedom
4. Careless
5. Skipping Stone
6. Supply and Demand
7. Sweet Pea
8. Night Train
9. Southern Girl
10. Wind, The
11. Long Line of Pain

61x5aP85fmL._SS400_.jpg

A Message From The People -- CD

Ray Charles

1972/2009 Concord Records

It was 1972, the turbulent ‘60s were winding down, and the music world was about to fork off in several directions: the soft rock of James Taylor and Carole King, the outlaw country of Waylon and Willie and soon . . . Disco.

America was on people’s minds: Don McLean with “American Pie” and there was even a band named America. Our nation was at war in Vietnam; we had landed on the moon. African-Americans were emboldened and encouraged by the progress they were achieving. The album A Message From the People, produced by Ray and recorded at his RPM International Studio, contained a song that did not chart at the time, but went on to become one of his best loved recordings: “America the Beautiful.” He would perform it countless times on TV and in live concert for the rest of his life.

“Mr. Charles wanted A Message From the People to include 'America the Beautiful' because of his tremendous love for our country,” stated Valerie Ervin, President of the Ray Charles Foundation. “Throughout his career he performed 'America' at a Super Bowl, a World Series game and for seven U.S. Presidents,” she added.

On May 5th, Concord Records will reissue, in its entirety, this landmark album for the first time on CD and digital download as part of its extensive reissue program of Ray Charles’s post-1960 catalog which, as part of his deal with ABC-Paramount Records, was owned and controlled by Ray himself. A Message From the People is the first in a series of albums to be reissued by Concord, which will include his classics Modern Sounds in Country & Western Music, Volumes 1 and 2; The Genius Hits the Road and Genius + Soul = Jazz, among others. For A Message From the People, Ray chose some of the world’s finest musicians including Freddie Hubbard, Ray Brown and Jean “Toots” Thielemans. The charts were written by his old friends Quincy Jones and Sid Feller, plus TV soundtrack meister Mike Post.

The songs Ray selected include “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” also known as the Black National Anthem; Dion DiMucci’s hit, “Abraham, Martin and John”; “Stevie Wonder’s plea for brotherly love, “Heaven Help Us All”; “John Denver’s loving ode to America’s heartland, “Take Me Home, Country Roads”; and Melanie’s “Look What They’ve Done To My Song, Ma,” which was also a hit single for Ray. Ray even came up with the idea for the album’s cover featuring the faces of Abe Lincoln, Dr. Martin Luther King and Jack and Bobby Kennedy, and commissioned artist Al Willis to bring it to fruition.

1. Lift Every Voice and Sing
2. Seems Like I Gotta Go Wrong
3. Heaven Help Us All
4. There'll Be No Peace Without All Men As One
5. Hey Mister
6. What Have They Done to My Song
7. Abraham, Martin and John
8. Take Me Home, Country Roads
9. Every Saturday Night
10. America the Beautiful

b663319f8da077f3cf3b7110.L.jpg

Land of Make Believe -- LIVE -- CD

Chuck Mangione with the Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra
And Special Guest Vocalist Esther Satterfield

1973 Mercury Records

Though much less expansive than Mangione's other Mercury concerts (only 37 minutes on a single CD or LP), Land of Make Believe is the most successful of the lot, a winning combination of attractive tunes, big-thinking orchestrations, just enough jazz content, and a genuinely felt sense of idealism. Here there is no dead weight; all of the material is very engaging and the combined forces of Mangione's quartet and the Hamilton (Ontario) Philharmonic are on fire. The performance of Mangione's "Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor" still exerts a ferocious jolt of life-affirming energy, "El Gato Triste" is an attractive Latin number, and the buoyant "Gloria" from The Mass of St. Bernard with the Horsehead Chamber Singers makes one want to hear more. The childlike title tune has both a touching sense of na‹vet‚ and a lot of drive in key spots -- credit expert drummer Joe LaBarbera with the latter -- and Esther Satterfield's clear-eyed Nancy Wilson-like vocals made her famous for a time. This would be Mangione's most irresistible attempt at embracing the whole world of music -- and for awhile, it was possible to believe that he would become a major unifying figure in American music. Alas, thus far this would be the last full flowering of that promise. ~ Richard S. Ginell

Track Listing
1. Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor
2. Lullaby for Nancy Carol
3. El Gato Triste
4. The - (from "The Mass Of St. Bernard") Gloria from the Mass of St. Bernard
5. As Long as We're Together
6. Land of Make Believe

Personnel includes: Chuck Mangione (flugelhorn); Esther Satterfield (vocals); Gerry Niewood (soprano saxophone, flute, alto flute); Ray Ricker, Joe Romano (tenor saxophone, flute); Ned Corman (baritone saxophone, flute); Jon Faddis, Jeff Tkazyik (trumpet); Janice Robinson, Bill Reichenbach Jr., Art Linsner III (trombone); Cathie Lehr (cello); Gap Mangione (electric piano); Don Potter (acoustic guitar); Al Johnson (electric bass); Joe LaBarbera (drums); John Beck (timpani, percussion); Steve Gadd (timpani); Horseheads Chamber Singers; The Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra.Recorded live at Massey Hall, Toronto, Canada.Personnel: Chuck Mangione (flugelhorn); Esther Satterfield (vocals); Jan Walp (soprano); Ronny Berger, Scott Bump, Ron Berger, Jeff Bowlby, Steve Russell (tenor); Jeff Wilber, Russ Cembrinski, Jim Wilber, Jim Smith, Michael Cleveland (bass voice); Don Potter (guitar, acoustic guitar, electric piano); Gordon Johnson (acoustic guitar, flute, piccolo); Margaret Neufeld, Michel Zaitzeff, Beth Gorevic, David Hung, Christine Haarvig, Jacqueline Tarry, Rudolph Kalup, Kathryn Wunder, Natalie Mysko, Yiu Man Chung, Milan Vitek, Marta Hidy (violin); Jaroslav Karlovsky, Ann Armin, Barbara Hustis (viola); Edgar Hayes, Zdenek Konicek, Cathie Lehr (cello); Gerry Niewood (flute, alto flute, soprano saxophone); Jeff Tkazyik, Jon Faddis (flute, piccolo, trumpet); Paul Elliott (flute, piccolo); Ned Corman (flute, saxophone, timpani); Ray Ricker, Joe Romano (flute, tenor saxophone, trombone); Ron Davis (flute, tenor saxophone, congas, bongos, timbales, percussion); Sandy Watts (oboe, English horn); John Courtney, Tom Elliot (bassoon); Janice Robinson, William Frank "Bill" Reichenbach Jr. (trumpet, trombone); Arthur Linsner, Fred Mills , Ronald Romm (trumpet); Gregory Hustis, Graeme Page, Brad Warnaar, Robert Hansen (French horn); Art Linser III, Eugene Watts (trombone); Charles Daellenbach (tuba); Gap Mangione (electric piano); Al Johnson , Albert Johnson (electric bass); Joe La Barbera (drums); John Beck (congas, bongos, timbales, timpani, percussion); David Mancini, Steve Gadd (timpani, percussion).Audio Mixers: Richie Blakin; Phil Ramone; Chuck Mangione.Audio Remixer: Dennis Drake.Recording information: Massey Hall, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.Director: Joseph C. Crupi.Editors: Richie Blakin; Phil Ramone; Chuck Mangione.Unknown Contributor Roles: Don Potter; Horsehead Chamber Singers; Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra.Arranger: Chuck Mangione.

51%2BY22N%2BU%2BL.jpg

Standards -- Remastered 20-bit SBM CD

Jimmy Smith

1957-59/1998 Blue Note Records

The ultimate late-night smoky nightclub music, this collection of standards by Hammond-organ master Jimmy Smith is as swirling and atmospheric as the lounge it evokes, a vision made complete by a loosened black tie and a couple scotches on the rocks. Smith's sidemen, Kenny Burrell and Donald Bailey, on guitar and drums respectively, provide subdued, elegant support: Burrell with measured comping, Bailey delicately brushing the snare throughout. When Burrell takes the lead, which he does quite often on this disc, his solos are skillful, intricate and lovely.Smith's Hammond organ sound, fat as a sandwich and smooth as an ice cube, works wonders on favorites like "Little Girl Blue," "Bye Bye Blackbird" and "Mood Indigo." Smith's playing, when he is doing chordal blocking or skittering over the higher register with skillful fingers, exhibits a style that is both graceful and groovy. Taken from sessions in '57, '58 and '59, STANDARDS is at once retro and modern, since Smith augments the nostalgic nightclub feel with the help of chorus settings, volume shifts and other effects. All in all, however, the effect is unified one: a relaxed sound that simply drips with cool.

Track Listing
1. Little Girl Blue
2. Bye Bye Blackbird
3. I'm Just a Lucky So and So
4. Ruby
5. September Song
6. I Didn't Know What Time It Was - (previously unreleased)
7. Memories of You - (previously unreleased)
8. But Beautiful - (previously unreleased)
9. Mood Indigo - (previously unreleased)
10. While We're Young - (previously unreleased)
11. It Might as Well Be Spring - (previously unreleased)
12. Last Dance - (previously unreleased)

STANDARDS contains seven tracks that are previously unissued.Personnel: Jimmy Smith (organ); Kenny Burrell (guitar); Donald Bailey (drums).Producer: Alfred Lion.Reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna.Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on August 25, 1957, July 15, 1958 & May 24, 1959. Tracks 1-5 originally released as ON THE SUNNY SIDE on Blue Note (1092). Includes liner notes by Ben Sidran.Digitaly remastered using 20-bit technology by Ron McMaster.

ae5beab7-aa1c-48e6-9319-14f144774af9_zpsfadf8062.jpg

Build Me Up From Bones -- CD

Sarah Jarosz

2013 Sugar Hill Records

Sarah's third Sugar Hill Records release finds the acoustic phenom exhibiting an assured and striking musical voice, proving once again the promise of her early acclaim.

Build Me Up From Bones, the third release from acclaimed 22-year-old singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist Sarah Jarosz, is set to drop October 1st via Sugar Hill Records. Build Me Up From Bones was recorded in the midst of Jarosz's final semester at the prestigious New England Conservatory (where she graduated with honors) and a rigorous touring schedule. Following her mid-May graduation, she flew straight to Nashville to put the finishing touches on the album. Now set to embark on an exciting new chapter of her life, the songs on Sarah Jarosz's newest release are a compelling portrait of an artist coming into her own.

1. Over the Edge
2. Fuel the Fire
3. Mile on the Moon
4. Build Me Up From Bones
5. Dark Road
6. Simple Twist of Fate
7. 1,000 Things
8. Gone Too Soon
9. Anything Else
10. The Book of Right-On
11. Rearrange the Art

Today's work truck music....

2b69810ae7a0d67e51698110.L.jpg

"Wildflowers" -- CD

Tom Petty

1994 Warner Bros. Records

Late Bloomer, March 22, 2012
By Donald E. Gilliland (Bangkok, Thailand) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Wildflowers (Audio CD)

I've been a big Tom Petty fan since the very first album. The first 3 albums by Petty and the Heartbreakers still stand as one of the greatest, most breathtaking musical trilogies in the rock era. Really, they are that wonderful. But I somehow got "away" from Petty in the 90s, no doubt stuck in some sort of "alternative rock" phase, and so I missed out on "Wallflowers" the first time around. Finally bought a copy last month and I'm hooked. Great songs, that Petty twang, and another ace band. Not much to quibble with here; this is just great, classic, American rock.

All songs written by Tom Petty, except where noted.

"Wildflowers" – 3:11
"You Don't Know How It Feels" – 4:49
"Time to Move On" – 3:15
"You Wreck Me" (Petty, Mike Campbell) – 3:22
"It's Good to Be King" – 5:10
"Only a Broken Heart" – 4:30
"Honey Bee" – 4:58
"Don't Fade on Me" (Petty, Campbell) – 3:32
"Hard on Me" – 3:48
"Cabin Down Below" – 2:51
"To Find a Friend" – 3:23
"A Higher Place" – 3:56
"House in the Woods" – 5:32
"Crawling Back to You" – 5:05
"Wake Up Time" – 5:19

"Girl on LSD" was also recorded for the album, but was removed by Warner Bros. due to its drug-related lyrics, and was instead released as the B-side to the "You Don't Know How It Feels" single. Many songs on the She's the One soundtrack album were initially recorded for this album.

51UqWMn-uaL.jpg

The Long Road Home -- Remastered 20-Bit K2 XRCD

Erning Watts

1997/2007 JVC Music

Two time Grammy winning saxophonist Ernie Watts has been quietly playing the part of an influential saxman for over 20 years. His expressive solos have graced the recordings of countless greats in nearly every genre of music. ''Music is a language,'' says Watts, ''and with language there are all these dialects - Rock, Classical, Jazz, Be-Bop and R&B among others. As for me, I'm interested in speaking all those dialects.'' On The Long Road Home, Watts returns to his favorite dialect...jazz. The results are simply glorious. Joining Watts on this blues tinged release are Kenny Barron on piano, Reggie Workman on acoustic bass, Mark Whitfield on electric guitar and Carmen Lundy, who performs two vocal numbers. This outstanding release was recorded direct to two track by XRCD co-creator Akira Taguchi and excellently showcases the superiority of the XRCD technology. Recorded live directly to two-track!

Track Listing
1. Lover Man
2. At the End of My Rope
3. River of Light
4. Nostalgia in Times Square
5. Bird's Idea
6. The Long Road Home
7. Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
8. Willow Weep For Me
9. Moonlight and Shadows

.Personnel includes: Ernie Watts (saxophone); Carmen Lundy (vocals); Kenny Barron (piano); Mark Whitfield (electric guitar); Reggie Workman (acoustic bass).Digitally remastered by JVC using XRCD (extended resolution compact disc).

7176TUlLY3L_zpsea1d5642.jpg

Jazz At The Pawnshop - 30th Anniversary Collection -- 3 SACD/1 DVD

Jazz At The Pawnshop

2006 Proprius Records

(3-SACD HYBRID set + bonus DVD) Great music never gets old - it matures like a fine wine. Now one of the musical and audiophile highlights of jazz recording history is available in unsurpassed SACD sound. These recordings recently celebrated its 30th anniversary and the analogue masters have been transferred using improved technology to the finest available digital audio format - SACD. For the first time the complete recordings are collected with full documentation and photos. Some of the tracks have only been available in limited editions which makes it all the more exciting for us to present the music to jazz lovers of the world. The set also includes a new DVD where vibraphone player Lars Erstrand and the bass player Georg Riedel recall these fantastic concerts.

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. Limehouse Blues
2. I'm Confessin'
3. High Life
4. Jeep's Blues
5. Lady Be Good
6. Take Five
7. Everything Happens to Me
8. Barbados
9. Stuffy

DISC 2:
1. Over the Rainbow
2. Now's the Time
3. Out of Nowhere
4. Take the "A" Train
5. Here Is That Rainy Day
6. Struttin' with Some Barbeque
7. Poor Butterfly
8. Exactly Like You
9. Jeepers Creepers
10. How High the Moon
11. Things Ain't What They Used to Be

DISC 3:
1. In a Mellow Tone
2. Gubben och K„llingen
3. Nancy with the Laughing Face
4. Struttin' with Some Barbeque
5. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
6. Mood Indigo
7. Jeep's Blues
8. High Life [Take 2] - (take)

DISC 4:
1. Jazz at the Pawnshop Interview 2006 [Video]

ARTISTS Arne Domnerus (alto sax, clarinet); Bengt Hallberg (piano); Lars Erstrand (vibes); Georg Riedel (bass); Egil Johansen (drums)Recording information: The Pawnshop (Stampen) Jazz Club, Stockholm, Sweden (12/06/1976-12/07/1976).

Today's work truck music...

6ba3c6da8da092bf43b70110.L.jpg

Come On Home -- CD

Boz Scaggs

1997 Virgin U.S. Records

Bobby Bland, Jimmy Reed, T-Bone Walker . . . Boz Scaggs!
, November 4, 2001
By stranger2himself (Down Here) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come on Home (Audio CD)

I grew up on Ray Charles, James Brown, soul, blues, country & gospel. I've been listening to and collecting music for 40 years, and have approx. 3,000 recordings. Simply put, this is one of the best, most soulful, powerful, bodaciously BAD records I've ever heard! There is not a weak cut here. Boz sounds like he's been holding this in for 30 years! The production & playing are flawless, but not too slick. The "live-in-the-studio" sound is preserved. There are no "highlights", every cut is astounding. With that in mind, "Love Letters" brings tears to my eyes, and, like the previous reviewer, I fall to my knees when Boz testifies "I've Got Your Love". His vocal chords should be enshrined; his heart and soul could provide electrical power to most of North America. If you like ANY kind of blues or R&B, you will surely dig this!

"It All Went Down the Drain"
"Ask Me 'Bout Nothin' (But the Blues)"
"Don't Cry No More"
"Found Love"
"Come On Home"
"Picture of a Broken Heart"
"Love Letters"
"I've Got Your Love"
"Early in the Morning"
"Your Good Thing (Is About to End)"
"T-Bone Shuffle"
"Sick and Tired"