• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

:text-bravo:

aec8224128a02e72dd445010.L.jpg

Today's work truck music....

51SRLegJvoL.jpg

So Long So Wrong -- CD

Alison Krauss & Union Station

1997 Rounder Records

Amazon.com

Many bluegrass musicians have incorporated contemporary elements into their work, Jim & Jesse, the Osborne Brothers, and Mac Wiseman among them., but Krauss's contemporary bluegrass contains particularly heavy doses of pop, folk, and modern country. Whatever style she chooses, her flawless voice and her crack Union Station cohorts usually maintain a high standard. The instrumental "Little Liza Jane" and the traditional "I'll Remember You, Love, In My Prayers" prove their instrumental chops, and songs like "No Place to Hide," with an impressive fiddle turn from Krauss herself, effectively mold modern elements into the bluegrass idiom. However, others such as "It Doesn't Matter" and "Deeper Than Crying" have very little to do with bluegrass at all. A mostly solid contemporary-bluegrass album, except when the contemporary drowns out the bluegrass. --Marc Greilsamer

"So Long So Wrong" (Patrick Brayer, Walden Dahl) – 3:22
"No Place to Hide" (Bob Lucas) – 3:28
"Deeper Than Crying" (Mark Simos) – 3:07
"I Can Let Go Now" (Michael McDonald) – 2:27
"The Road Is a Lover" (Bob Lucas) – 3:11
"Little Liza Jane" (Public Domain) – 1:43
"It Doesn't Matter" (Harley Allen) – 3:52
"Find My Way Back to My Heart" (Mark Simos) – 3:33
"I'll Remember You Love in My Prayers" (Public Domain) – 3:02
"Looking in the Eyes of Love" (Kostas Lazarides, Tricia Walker) – 4:19
"Pain of a Troubled Life" (Ron Block) – 2:54
"Happiness" (Michael McDonald, Viktor Krauss) – 3:55
"Blue Trail of Sorrow" (Jeff White) – 3:39
"There Is a Reason" (Ron Block) – 5:35

1273167834_benny-goodman-the-comple_zpsbec98fe1.jpg

The Complete Trios -- Remastered 24-Bit CD

Benny Goodman

1999 Capitol Records

The Complete Captiol Trios is a long-overdue reissue of the five trio sessions Benny Goodman led for Capitol Records. The five sessions are easily broken down into two categories -- recordings from 1947 and recordings from 1954. The highlights of the 1947 recordings are sessions with pianist Teddy Wilson and drummer Jimmy Crawford. This provided Goodman an opportunity to reunite with Wilson who he had toured with in the late '30s in a trio with drummer Gene Krupa. Goodman and Wilson have a real ease to their interaction and the results are positively joyful. There are three other recordings from 1947, featuring pianist Jimmy Rowles and drummer Tom Romersa; these are good, but not quite as delightful as their 1947 companions. However, the 1954 recordings -- all featuring pianist Mel Powell, four featuring drummer Eddie Grady, and two featuring drummer Bobby Donaldson -- are equally wonderful, filled with good humor, elegant flair, and magical interludes. These sessions have been out of circulation for too long, but The Complete Capitol Trios is so well-done -- and its fidelity is so good -- that the wait was certainly worthwhile. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Track Listing
1. Blue (And Broken Hearted)
2. After Hours
3. All I Do Is Dream of You - (1st version)
4. I'll Never Be the Same
5. Bye Bye Pretty Baby
6. Shoe Shine Boy
7. At Sundown
8. When You're Smiling (The Whole World Smiles With You)
9. All I Do Is Dream of You - (2nd version)
10. Stompin' at the Savoy
11. Mean to Me
12. Puttin' on the Ritz
13. I Never Knew I Could Love Anybody (Like I'm Loving You)
14. Lazy River
15. There'll Be Some Changes Made
16. Ev'rything I've Got (Belongs to You)
17. But Not For Me
18. Margie
19. Rose Room
20. (What Can I Say) After I Say I'm Sorry?

Personnel: Benny Goodman (clarinet); Teddy Wilson, Jimmy Rowles, Mel Powell (piano); Jimmy Crawford, Tom Romersa, Eddie Grady, Bobby Donaldson (drums).Recorded between 1947 and 1954. Includes liner notes by Richard M. Sudhalter.Digitally remastered using 24-bit technology by Ron McMaster.

611CNikYFnL.jpg

Nirvana -- CD

Bucky and John Pizzarelli

2003 LRC Records

Bucky - Truly "A Jazz Legend",
June 3, 2001
By William Alan Hafey - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nirvana (Audio CD)

I've been a Bucky fan for 30 years and never heard him play better. There is a handful of superb jazz guitarists still working today whose roots are in either the great ones from the '30s and early '40s or the swing era. (George Van Eps, Dick McDonough, Carl Kress, George Barnes, Django . . . of course . . . and Charlie Christian, together with many others, come to mind.) Bucky encompasses all of them, with an obvious Benny Goodman influence in the mix. But it may have been Van Eps who, as far as I know, invented the 7-string guitar . . . a traditional guitar with an added .80 mm A string tuned an octave lower, making it possible for Bucky to play chords and bass accents that only a very few (Howard Alden, John Pizzarelli Jr., etc.) CAN play, thus making him unique today among the guitar greats. Recently I attended a concert ("Legends Of Guitar")in Hartford CT where Bucky appeared with Gene Bertoncini, Howard Alden, and Frank Vignola . . . all deserving of the title billing. Bucky, at age 75, was never playing better. It was very obvious that the other guitarists agreed. Buy this recording, which was made about 15 years ago, and kick yourself for perhaps not knowing earlier what a genius this man has been. Plus . . . for it matters . . . he is also one of the gentlest, nicest, most unassuming persons you will ever meet. I am priviledged, after all these years, to call him a friend.

Bill Hafey

Recording Date : Feb 21, 1995

1 Azurte (Davison) 3:27
2 Sing Sing Sing (Prima) 6:39
3 A Little World Called Home (Dominick, Hire) 7:13
4 Pick Yourself Up (Fields, Kern) 2:48
5 Nuages (Reinhardt) 5:53
6 Honeysuckle Rose (Razaf, Waller) 7:37
7 Willow Weep for Me (Runnell) 3:51
8 Medley: It's Been a Long Time/Don't Take Your Love from Me (Cahn) 4:24
9 Tangerine (Mercer) 6:51
10 Two Funky People (Cohn) 3:04
11 Come Rain or Come Shine (Arlen, Mercer) 5:57
12 Stompin' at the Savoy (Goodman, Sampson, Webb) 4:44

Bucky Pizzarelli (Guitar)
John Pizzarelli (Guitar)
Lynn Seaton (Bass)
Bernard "Pretty" Purdie (Drums)

heeman said:
Dennie said:
heeman said:
:text-bravo:

aec8224128a02e72dd445010.L.jpg

Great Choice Keith, that was one of my speaker demo disc! :bow-blue:

Dennie

Can you share some of your other speaker demo material with us?

Hey Keith, I wish I could, but it's been so long since I've demo'ed speakers, only a couple come to mind. You know the best stuff to demo speakers with is music you're familiar with.

I've used....

Alison Krauss & Union Station - Live CD

Roxy Music - Avalon CD

Willie Nelson - Stardust CD

Jennifer Warrens - Famous Blue Raincoat CD

Aaron Neville - Warm Your Heart CD

Marc Cohn - Marc Cohn CD

Diana Krall - Love Scenes CD

Dennie
Dennie

61dR93t73CL._SS500_.jpg

Pick Yourself Up With Anita O'Day -- CD

Anita O'Day

1956/1992 Verve Records

Fellas she can't get...Are fella's she ain't met...., June 8, 2000
By "iheartcrass" - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pick Yourself Up (Audio CD)

This is my all time favorite Anita O'day Album. Anita O'day is five steps beyond amazing. Her vocal style can't be beat. Every song she sings gets the special O'day treatment and is forever more her own. The track listing of this album is just chocked full of winners! My favorite is Anita's rendition of 'Stars Fell On Alabama'. Its beautiful and moving. You can just feel the magic of the moment she is describing. Other super hits include the slinky 'Sweet Georgia Brown', the peppy 'Pick Yourself Up' and the bittersweet 'There's A Lull In My Life'. Also, this Cd gives you alternative takes on songs and the rockin bonus tracks 'Getaway and The Chase' and the classic 'Rock and Roll Waltz'. This is one of the records I play when I want to get into a good mood. It always makes me smile. Bottom line, Its a FANTASTIC album at a SUPER price. Don't miss it!

1. "Don't Be That Way" Benny Goodman, Mitchell Parish, Edgar Sampson 2:32
2. "Let's Face the Music and Dance" Irving Berlin 3:16
3. "I Never Had a Chance" Berlin 4:22
4. "Stompin' at the Savoy" Goodman, Andy Razaf, Sampson, Chick Webb 3:18
5. "Pick Yourself Up" Dorothy Fields, Jerome Kern 3:05
6. "Stars Fell on Alabama" Parish, Frank Perkins 2:51
7. "Sweet Georgia Brown" Ben Bernie, Kenneth Casey, Maceo Pinkard 4:13
8. "I Won't Dance" Fields, Oscar Hammerstein II, Otto Harbach, Kern, Jimmy McHugh 3:25
9. "Man with a Horn" Eddie DeLange, Jack Jenney, Bonnie Lake 3:55
10. "I Used to Be Color Blind" Berlin 3:09
11. "There's a Lull in My Life" Mack Gordon, Harry Revel 3:18
12. "Let's Begin" Harbach, Kern 2:21

CD Reissue Bonus Tracks
No. Title Writer(s) Length
13. "I'm with You" Johnny Mercer, Bobby Troup 2:04
14. "The Rock & Roll Waltz" Shorty Allen, Roy Alfred 2:44
15. "The Getaway and the Chase" Biff Jones, Charles Meyer 2:25
16. "Your Picture's Hanging Crooked on the Wall" George R. Brown, William Lava 2:29
17. "We Laughed at Love" Bourne, Gus Kahn, Messenheimer 3:09
18. "I'm Not Lonely" Keith, Spence 3:03
19. "Let's Face the Music and Dance" Berlin 3:17
20. "Ivy" Hoagy Carmichael 2:45
21. "Stars Fell on Alabama" Parish, Perkins 2:48

Today's work truck music....

b83dc060ada0201ca6c5c110.L.jpg

Low Spark of High Heeled Boys -- CD

Traffic

1971/1990 Island Records

Amazon.com

Despite not even charting in the band's native England, this album became a platinum-selling American hit on the basis of three enduring FM radio staples--the expansive, jazzy impressionism of the near-12 minute title track, and the more straightforward funk of the R&B charmers "Light Up or Leave Me Alone" and "Rock & Roll Stew." Those disparate tracks perfectly underscore Traffic's rich musical appeal and its restless, sometimes problematic creative and interpersonal relationships. With now thrice-departed Dave Mason out of the mix and percussionists Jim Gordon and Reebop Kwaku Baah participating in the studio for the first time, the band's innate musicality truly takes wing. Winwood's familiar vocal phrasings nearly take a backseat to his fluid, dramatic guitar work on "Rock & Roll Stew Roll" and "Many a Mile to Freedom," while the Tull-ish, folk-madrigal sensibilities of "Hidden Treasure" and "Rainmaker" are further punctuated by Chris Wood's deft flute and woodwind flourishes. Compared with the more organic John Barleycorn album, the contrast is all the more remarkable. While many contemporary bands were experimenting with various attempts at fusion, few achieved this collection's rock-jazz-folk-R&B range or level of often subtle sophistication. Digitally remastered, this edition also contains the six-minute-plus U.S. single version of "Rock & Roll Stew, Parts 1 & 2" as a bonus track. --Jerry McCulley

"Hidden Treasure" – 4:16
"The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" – 11:35
"Light Up or Leave Me Alone" (Jim Capaldi) – 4:55
"Rock & Roll Stew" (Ric Grech, Jim Gordon) – 4:29
"Many a Mile to Freedom" (Steve Winwood, Anna Capaldi[1]) – 7:26
"Rainmaker" – 7:39

517FGq2tSKL._SS500_.jpg

This is really a good-sounding disk, thanks for the head's up on it Dennie!

Botch said:
517FGq2tSKL._SS500_.jpg

This is really a good-sounding disk, thanks for the head's up on it Dennie!

Where exactly did you source this disk? Amazon.ca wants $147.00!! :scared-yipes: I like Natalie Merchant...but not that much!!!
Mike

You are welcome Botch... :text-bravo:

513pgsGeWlL.jpg

Jazz Side of The Moon - The Music of Pink Floyd -- SACD

Sam Yahel/Seamus Blake/Ari Hoenig/Mike Moreno

2008 Chesky Records

Rock reinterpreted via cool jazz October 4, 2008
By William Cobham
Format:Audio CD

A real daredevil project this, it takes the structure of Pink Floyd's album and then uses this as the departure point for some fluent cool jazz. The musicians are excellent, playing off one another as if in a live jam session, meticulously rhythmical and committed to finding the most adventurous routes out of and into jazz-rock. If you like Weather Report, Miles Davis, The Crusaders and Pat Metheny, this is for you. What can I tell you except be good to yourself and buy this album. I've been playing it nonstop; it's also a great drivetime album.

Track Listing
1. Breathe
2. On The Run (Part 1)
3. Time
4. Any Colour You Like
5. The Great Gig In The Sky
6. Money
7. Us And Them
8. Brain Damage
9. On The Run (Part 2)

Personnel: Sam Yahel (Hammond b-3 organ); Ari Hoenig (drums); Mike Moreno (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Seamus Blake (tenor saxophone).

heeman said:
Is it great of just, so, so???

Its one of those albums you have to listen to a few times to really absorb it; it sounded a bit "disjointed" on the first listen, but there's lots to digest...

51lRzBxwB%2BL.jpg

Michel Camilo - CD

Michel Camilo

1988 Portrait/CBS Records

Michel Camilo's self-titled major label debut is one of the most impressive modern piano trio discs ever. Whether with Marc Johnson and Dave Weckl or Lincoln Goines and Joel Rosenblatt, Camilo's fiery blend of Latin rhythms and jazz sensitivity is at its height here. As a pianist, Camilo displays blistering speed, nimble solo lines and an endless dexterity--his deep passion and unbridled enthusiasm comes shining through every cut. The smoking "Suite Sandrine Part I" goes full-guns with Camilo, Johnson and Weckl locked in a furious torrent of twisting rhythms that never let up until the explosive ending.Changing gears dramatically, the lush solo intro to "Nostalgia" gives way to a gentle ballad that Camilo executes with superb touch and emotion. Later, the barnburner "Crossroads" displays the pianist's expert bebop chops. The Caribbean funk of "Yarey" and Camilo's remarkable duet with conga master Mongo Santamaria on Kenny Dorham's "Blue Bossa" are both highlights. However, it is the Latin epic "Caribe," a colossal piece that has become one of Camilo's signature tunes, that is the topper, and the grand finale, to this powerful session.

Track Listing
1. Suite Sandrine Part I
2. Nostalgia
3. Dreamlight
4. Crossroads
5. Sunset
6. Yarey
7. Pra Voce (For Tania Maria)
8. Blue Bossa
9. Caribe

Personnel: Michel Camilo (piano); Marc Johnson, Lincoln Goines (bass); Dave Weckl, Joel Rosenblatt (drums); Mongo Santamaria (congas).Recorded at Clinton Recording Studios, New York, New York on January 30 & 31 and February 1, 1988. Includes liner notes by Jeff Potter.

51%2BY22N%2BU%2BL.jpg

Standards -- Remastered 20-bit SBM CD

Jimmy Smith

1957-59/1998 Blue Note Records

The ultimate late-night smoky nightclub music, this collection of standards by Hammond-organ master Jimmy Smith is as swirling and atmospheric as the lounge it evokes, a vision made complete by a loosened black tie and a couple scotches on the rocks. Smith's sidemen, Kenny Burrell and Donald Bailey, on guitar and drums respectively, provide subdued, elegant support: Burrell with measured comping, Bailey delicately brushing the snare throughout. When Burrell takes the lead, which he does quite often on this disc, his solos are skillful, intricate and lovely.Smith's Hammond organ sound, fat as a sandwich and smooth as an ice cube, works wonders on favorites like "Little Girl Blue," "Bye Bye Blackbird" and "Mood Indigo." Smith's playing, when he is doing chordal blocking or skittering over the higher register with skillful fingers, exhibits a style that is both graceful and groovy. Taken from sessions in '57, '58 and '59, STANDARDS is at once retro and modern, since Smith augments the nostalgic nightclub feel with the help of chorus settings, volume shifts and other effects. All in all, however, the effect is unified one: a relaxed sound that simply drips with cool.

Track Listing
1. Little Girl Blue
2. Bye Bye Blackbird
3. I'm Just a Lucky So and So
4. Ruby
5. September Song
6. I Didn't Know What Time It Was - (previously unreleased)
7. Memories of You - (previously unreleased)
8. But Beautiful - (previously unreleased)
9. Mood Indigo - (previously unreleased)
10. While We're Young - (previously unreleased)
11. It Might as Well Be Spring - (previously unreleased)
12. Last Dance - (previously unreleased)

STANDARDS contains seven tracks that are previously unissued.Personnel: Jimmy Smith (organ); Kenny Burrell (guitar); Donald Bailey (drums).Producer: Alfred Lion.Reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna.Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on August 25, 1957, July 15, 1958 & May 24, 1959. Tracks 1-5 originally released as ON THE SUNNY SIDE on Blue Note (1092). Includes liner notes by Ben Sidran.Digitaly remastered using 20-bit technology by Ron McMaster.

Back