• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

51zei-IbfmL.jpg

Plays Rogers and Hart -- CD

Bucky Pizzarelli and New York Swing

1993/2006 LRC Records

Fine Swinging! October 13, 2012
By Gertrude da Goat
Format:Audio CD

This is one of those under-the-radar albums that simply never got the publicity it truly deserves. These guys play jazz with so much taste it's unbelievable. The band and arrangements are tight but very swinging. All the guys here have been doing this so long, you can tell they love it.

John Bunch has been with all the top swing and jazz acts over the years (including Gene Krupa & Buddy Rich!). Bucky Pizzarelli has played with everyone throughout his long and storied career. Jay Leonhart and Joe Cocuzzo lay down beautiful grooves throughout. Joe Cocuzzo plays some beautifully understated drums throughout. His brushwork is quite wonderful.

This album reminds me of another similar album that is almost unknown but is well worth picking up: Bill Miller's: "The Chairman's Board Salutes Sinatra." Check it out. It keeps the mood created here going & going.

Track Listing
1. Have You Met Miss Jones
2. Thou Swell
3. You Took Advantage of Me
4. Bothered, & Bewildered Bewitched
5. My Heart Stood Still
6. My Funny Valentine
7. My Romance
8. Dancing on the Ceiling
9. Fallin' in Love With Love
10. This Can't Be Love
11. Nobody's Heart
12. Spring Is Here
13. You're Nearer
14. You Are Too Beautiful

New York Swing: John Bunch (piano); Bucky Pizzarelli (guitar); Jay Leonhart (bass); Joe Cocuzzo (drums).Recorded at Clinton Studios, New York, New York.

GloriaEstefanStandards_zps1bf0f64f.jpg

The Standards -- Target Deluxe Edition CD

Gloria Estefan

2013 Sony Latin Masterworks

The Deluxe Edition of The Standards includes 4 exclusive bonus tracks: "Call Me Irresponsible," "For All We Know," "Smile" and "El Dia Que Me Quieras."

Celebrating great tunes from the American Songbook, The Standards features song classics sung in English, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and French, some with new lyrics written by Estefan herself. The album also features collaborations with world class award-winning artists like singer songwriter Laura Pausini, violinist Joshua Bell and saxophonist Dave Koz.

The ambitious project has been "on my back burner for a long time," says Estefan. "I grew up listening to Frank Sinatra, Johnny Mathis, Henry Mancini and great romance recording artists in Cuba. This genre is right up my alley, since music is always a catharsis to me."

Track listing:
1. Good Morning Heartache
2. They Can't Take That Away from Me
3. What a Difference a Day Makes
4. I've Grown Accustomed to His Face
5. Eu Sei Que Vou Te Amar
6. The Day You Say You Love Me
7. Embraceable You
8. What a Wonderful World
9. How Long Has This Been Going On
10. Sonríe
11. The Way You Look Tonight
12. You Made Me Love You
13. Young at Heart

Bonus tracks:
14. Call Me Irresponsible
15. For All We Know
16. Smile
17. El Dia Que Me Quieras

mcad64 said:
Amazon.ca wants $147.00!! :scared-yipes: I like Natalie Merchant...but not that much!!!
Mike

:scared-yipes: Yes...WTBleep...I would roll with Botch's suggestion! We already own it!

Try her 'Ophelia' CD as well, it may give you an even better appreciation for her talents! :handgestures-thumbup:

Just my opinion and :twocents-mytwocents: : )

Zing said:
Babs said:
We already own it!

No we don't.

Ours is the 2-channel stereo SACD. Botch was referring to a multichannel DVD-Audio disc.
Sounds like a good excuse to fly to utard for a visit... :eusa-whistle:

BarneyKesselStandardsThis.jpg

Kessel Plays Standards -- CD

Barney Kessel

1954/1987 Contemporary/ OJC Records

the late, great Barney Kessel, July 28, 2006
By Christoph K. Bennett (United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Kessel Plays Standards (Audio CD)

This is really more on his body of work than this release alone. Get anything you can get your hands on by Barney. Everything he did was great and it was never about what he could do but about the music. I've been reading some webpages about him recently to find out more about him. First off, he may well have been the most recorded guitarist of all time. Like the guitar on the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds?" It's Barney. Elvis' "Return to Sender?" Barney, too. He did work with the Beatles. In fact, "counted among his fans such superstars as the late Beatles John Lennon and George Harrison.

"Barney Kessel is incredible. He's just amazing . . . . Nobody can play guitar like that," Lennon said following a recording session in the 1970s.

Harrison was even more enthused, telling an interviewer in the 1960s: "Barney Kessel is definitely the best guitar player in this world, or any other world."

I'd always heard that he was very friendly to up-and-comers and everybody, really. What I didn't know is that he was a devoted Christian, acc. to his wife. That's really nice to know. There are very few great guitarists left. You have Herb Ellis, Bucky Pizzarelli from the days when there really was jazz. Barney was among the best. Seriously, get anything by him. My particular favorites are this one, "Easy Like," and "Solo." But they're all great. His albums are not your typical guitar as frontman shredding away but real group efforts. Very enjoyable. For Barney, it was always about the music first.

1. Speak Low
2. Love Is Here to Stay
3. On a Slow Boat to China
4. How Long Has This Been Going On?
5. My Old Flame
6. Jeepers Creepers
7. Barney's Blues
8. Prelude to a Kiss
9. A Foggy Day
10. You Stepped Out of a Dream
11. I Didn't Know What Time It Was
12. 64 Bars on Wilshire

51Rtge401SL._SS400_.jpg

Meant To Be -- CD

Ramsey Lewis & Nancy Wilson

2002 Narada Jazz

An Elegant Treat March 1, 2002
By Harry N. Cohen

This is a banner time for Nancy Wilson fans. First, the wonderful box set, Essence of Nancy Wilson, now this...a brand new cd of beautiful music.Unfortunately, Nancy only has 5 cuts on this cd, the rest are instrumentals by Ramsey Lewis.The instrumentals are all tasteful and well done, but this disc really comes alive when Miss Nancy steps up to the microphone. Peel Me A Grape, a cabaret favorite made immortal by Blossom Dearie is given a fine sexy/humorous reading by Nancy. Lots of lesser singers have tried this song and it seems the humor escapes them Nancy GETS it! A song from the Joe Williams songbook, Did I Ever Really Live is quite apropriate for Nancy at this point in her career. It is a reflection on life and mortality, sort of a Circle Game for the jazz world. It is quite moving. First Time Love by Patti Austin receives the elegant Nancy touch. The highlight of this disc for me is Nancy's killer version Of Moondance. A slight disappointment is Brenda Russell's Piano In The Dark. Nancy lingers over the verses, but rushes through the chorus. Nancy's voice on all selections is in fine shape, with some amber shadings that weren't there before. She truly souns wonderful. This disc taken in it's entirety is perfect for either lingering over Sunday morning coffee or for popping open the champagne and geting that quiet storm going.

Track Listing
1. Peel Me a Grape
2. Truthfully
3. Did I Ever Really Live
4. Velvet Night
5. Moment Alone, A
6. Moondance
7. Meant to Be
8. Piano in the Dark
9. Time Peace
10. First Time Love
11. Tanquissimo

51B9pbgInoL._SS400_.jpg

Softly As A Summer Breeze -- Remastered CD

The Incredible Jimmy Smith with Kenny Burrell & Philly Joe Jones

1960/2006 Blue Note Records

It's smooth and powerful with great ballad interpretations, January 23, 2000
By macfawlty "macfawlty" (potomac, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Softly As a Summer Breeze (Audio CD)

I have the LP and will have to get the CD as well since there are 4 more songs on it. Don't shy away from these ballad albums, they are great and really show alot of depth and incredible mastery of the B3. I still have a ways to go to complement my 40 or so Jimmy LP's with the convenience of CD's.

"These Foolish Things" (Harry Link, Holt Marvell, Jack Strachey) - 5:27
"Hackensack" (Thelonious Monk) - 5:58
"It Could Happen to You" (Johnny Burke, Jimmy Van Heusen) - 6:16
"Sometimes I'm Happy" (Irving Caesar, Vincent Youmans) - 8:21
"Someone to Watch Over Me" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) - 6:30
"One for Philly Joe" [aka "Home Cookin'"] (Jimmy Smith) - 4:46
"Willow Weep for Me" (Ann Ronell) - 3:24 Bonus track on CD reissue
"Ain't No Use" (Leroy Kirkland, Sidney Wyche) - 2:40 Bonus track on CD reissue
"Angel Eyes" (Earl Brent, Matt Dennis) - 3:25 Bonus track on CD reissue
"Ain't That Love" (Ray Charles) - 2:45 Bonus track on CD reissue

-----

Recorded at Rudy Van Gelder Studio in Hackensack, New Jersey on February 26, 1958 (tracks 1-6) and October 14, 1958 (tracks 7-10)

Happy Monday everyone.... :doh:

51-1OhI6spL._SS500_.jpg

Sunflower -- CD

Milt Jackson - Herbie Hancock - Freddie Hubbard - Ron Carter - Billy Cobham

1972/1997 CTI/Epic Legacy

Recorded over two days in December of 1972 at Rudy Van Gelder's Englewood, New Jersey home studio, vibraphonist Milt Jackson's Sunflower is the first -- and best -- of his three albums for Creed Taylor's CTI imprint. (And one of the finest offerings on the label.) With a core band consisting of Herbie Hancock (playing electric and acoustic piano), bassist Ron Carter, drummer Billy Cobham, trumpeter Freddie Hubbard, drummer/percussionist Ralph McDonald, and guitarist Jay Berliner. A chamber orchestra exquisitely arranged and conducted by Don Sebesky adorns the session as well. Jackson's "For Someone I Love," opens the five-tune set, with Berliner playing solo flamenco guitar before the vibes, trumpet, and elements from the chamber orchestra delicately, impressionistically color the background. It gradually moves into a languid, bluesy ballad that slowly gains in both texture and dynamic until the strings trill tensely. Hubbard and Hancock engage them in solos that gently swing out the tune. The reading of Michel Legrand's "What Are You Doing for the Rest of Your Life" is a gorgeous showcase for Jackson; his solo dominates the arrangement. Carter gets downright funky on his upright to introduce Thom Bell's "People Make the World Go Round," and Hancock follows him on Rhodes. Jackson takes the melody, striking a layered contrast as Hubbard slips around all three playing an extension of the melody with requisite taste, fluidity, and taut phrasing. Hancock gets funky to the bone in his brief solo, as the vibes soar around and through his phrases. The title track is a Hubbard composition that floats and hovers with a Latin backbeat before shifting tempos as the solos begin. The expanded harmonic palette of trumpet with the reeds, woodwinds, and strings on the melody add an exotic textural palette for his solo. Jackson's "SKJ" closes the set with an old-school, swinging hard bop blues with barely detectable embellishments by Sebesky. While Sunflower sometimes feels more like a group session rather than a Jackson-led one, that's part of its exquisite beauty. [In 2011, Sunflower saw reissue as part of Sony's 40th Anniversary series celebrating CTI. It was remastered from the original two-track analog tapes in order to best capture the sound of the LP.] ~ Thom Jurek

1. For Someone I Love
2. What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life?
3. People Make the World Go Round
4. Sunflower
5. SKJ

Milt Jackson – vibes
Freddie Hubbard - trumpet, flugelhorn
Herbie Hancock - piano
Jay Berliner - guitar
Ron Carter - bass
Billy Cobham - drums
Ralph MacDonald - percussion
Romeo Penque - alto flute, English horn, oboe
Phil Bodner - flute, alto flute, piccolo, English horn
George Marge - clarinet, bass clarinet, alto flute, English horn
Max Ellen, Paul Gershman, Emanuel Green, Charles Libove, Joe Malin, David Nadien, Gene Orloff, Elliot Rosoff, Irving Spice - violin
Charles McCraken, George Ricci, Alan Shulman - cello
Margaret Ross - harp
Don Sebesky - arranger, conductor

51dpVJITk1L._SS500_.jpg

24 Nights -- 2 CD Box Set

Eric Clapton

1991 Reprise Records

Eric's best live album, September 28, 1998
By facls@uol.com.br (Sao Paulo, Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 24 Nights (Audio CD)

This is Eric's best solo live album. It has a great selection of songs, and the band backs him up perfectly. His blues band, with Buddy Guy and Robert Cray, plays incredibly, especially in Watch Yourself. He plays great versions of Cream songs, especially Badge, and from his Journeyman album, particularly Pretending. This CD has his best version of Wonderful Tonight, with beautiful backup singing by Katie Kisson, who is great in Bell Bottom Blues, too. There's also Hard Times, one of his favorite songs, and his heartfelt version is wonderful. Heart of Darkness is an odd choice to be in the CD, but it's good too. All in all, a must-have.

Disc One

"Badge" (Eric Clapton/George Harrison) – 6:51
"Running On Faith" (Jerry Lynn Williams) – 6:49
"White Room" (Jack Bruce/Pete Brown) – 6:10
"Sunshine Of Your Love" (Bruce/Brown/Clapton) – 9:11
"Watch Yourself" (Buddy Guy) – 5:39
"Have You Ever Loved A Woman" (Billy Myles) – 6:52
"Worried Life Blues" (Big Maceo Merriweather) – 5:28
"Hoodoo Man" (Amos "Junior" Wells) – 5:41

Disc Two

"Pretending" (Williams) – 7:08
"Bad Love" (Clapton/Mick Jones) – 6:25
"Old Love" (Clapton/Robert Cray) – 13:01
"Wonderful Tonight" (Clapton) – 9:11
"Bell Bottom Blues" (Clapton) – 6:39
"Hard Times" (Ray Charles) – 3:45
"Edge Of Darkness" (Clapton/Michael Kamen) – 6:30

51lF3xy1xAL.jpg

The Ben Webster/Harry Edison '56/'57 Complete Sessions -- Remastered CD

Billie Holiday

2012 Phoenix Records (Import)

Ben Webster/Harry Edison Sessions album by Billie Holiday was released Apr 24, 2012 on the Phoenix (Jazz) label. The complete memorable recordings made by Billie Holiday in 1956-57 backed by a small group including Ben Webster, HarryEdison, Jimmy Rowles and Barney Kessel.

Disc 1

1. Do Nothin Till You Hear From Me

2. Cheek To Cheek

3. Ill Wind

4. Speak Low

5. We'll Be Together Again

6. All Or Nothing At All

7. Sophisticated Lady

8. April In Paris

9. I Wished On The Moon

10. Moonlight In Vermont

11. A Foggy Day

12. Comes Love (Version 1)

13. I Didn T Know What Time It Was

14. Just One Of Those Things

15. Comes Love (Version 2)

16. Day In, Day Out

17. But Not For Me

Disc 2

1. Darn That Dream

2. Body And Soul

3. Just Friends

4. Stars Fell On Alabama

5. Say It Isn T So

6. Love Is Here To Stay

7. One For My Baby

8.(And One More For The Road)

9. They Can T Take That Away From Me

10. Embraceable You

11. Let S Call The Whole Thing Off

12. Gee, Baby, Ain T I Good To You

13. Announcement By Johnny Mercer

14. Lady Be Good (Theme)

15. Nice Work If You Can Get It

16. Willow, Weep For Me

17. My Man

18. Lover, Come Back To Me

19. Lady Sings The Blues

20. What A Little Moonlight Can Do

21. Lady Be Good

22. (Theme & Closing Announcements)

Babs said:
Leann_rimes.jpg

An awesome blast from the past!!!!!

Thanks for the reminder Babs, I picked this one up a while back and had forgotten about it.....

Leann Rocks Europe... :music-rockout:

41ZGA8CW5AL.jpg

Whatever We Wanna -- CD

Leann Rimes

2006 Curb/Warner International (Import)

LeAnn does Europe,
June 13, 2006
By Amanda Richards
This review is from: Whatever We Wanna (Audio CD)

There are only two things that I don’t like about this album – one is the price (it’s an import), and the second is the “more slutty than sultry” cover art. Having got that over with, the album itself is pretty good, more pop/rock than country, though still with the LeAnn magic.

First track “Satisfied” is a rock track, heavy on the guitars and drums with a killer chorus, while the hit of the album and first single “And It Feels Like” follows right after. This track has very sentimental lyrics, and LeAnn puts everything into it: “I remember every touch, every flower, every word you ever said / I remember how we looked at each other the very first time we met.”

The pace slows for “For the First Time”, which revisits the country/pop style that made her such a successful artiste, and then comes “Save Myself”, another great track. Next it’s more guitar infused country with “A Little More Time”, and “Rumour ‘Bout a Revolution”. “Destructive” is predictably a rock track, and you get the impression that she’s belting out the words of the chorus rather than singing them, but then comes second single “Strong” where she redeems herself.

The rest of the album is made up of the Shania Twain sound-alike “Whatever We Wanna”; “Everybody’s Someone”, an amazing duet with Brian McFadden that’s definitely single material; “Headphones”- a retro Abba-sound track (another possible single); “Long Night” and “This Life”. The album closes on a high note with “Break Me Down” and “Some People”. (“Some People” is from her last album “This Woman”.)

Spend just under an hour with this album, and discover for yourself why LeAnn has won all those awards.

Amanda Richards, June 13, 2006
1. Satisfied
2. And It Feels Like
3. For The First Time
4. Save Myself
5. Little More Time
6. Rumour ‘Bout A Revolution
7. Destructive
8. Strong
9. Whatever We Wanna
10. Everybody’S Someone (Ft Brian Mcfadden)
11. Headphones
12. Long Night
13. This Life
14. Break Me Down
15. Some People

Botch said:
I got it from Amazon.us for around $30... :text-imsorry:
I must be blind, or else the American site for Amazon looks different from this side of the border, cuz I don't see that price anywhere. Maybe I will just stick with my plain Jane Cd !!
Mike
You do mean dot.com right? Not dot.us?

Thanks Dennie.
I don't know how the different sites relate to each other, Mike. :think:

Botch said:
Thanks Dennie.
I don't know how the different sites relate to each other, Mike. :think:

Me either... :confusion-shrug:

You are welcome.

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

f8e5810ae7a0a443c86f8110.L.jpg

Big Notes -- CD

Film & The BB's

1985 Digital Music Products

You can't go wrong with Flim.. June 30, 2000
By Doc Sarvis

Flim and the BBs have always been viewed as "audiophile" recordings, noted more for their dynamic range and digital purity than for musical content. While there is a bit of truth to this (this isn't exactly ground-breaking from a style perspective) I still think it's a bit of a bum rap. Yes, this is high-quality recording, guaranteed to show off the finest stereo system to its fullest...even fifteen years after it was recorded, it's still state-of-the-art.

But that's not all. This is super-enjoyable, if predictable, new-age light jazz. I've always felt that Flim had a certain quality of optimism in its music that makes its appeal universal...there's an exuberance that's hard to pin down, but imediately apparent, that I've seldom heard anywhere else, regardless of the recording technology in use. Listen to it for its own sake!

1. New America
2. Heart Throb
3. At The Hop
4. Funhouse
5. Bergland
6. Street Charmer
7. Boogie Palace
8. Rebecca's Hideaway
9. Invisible Woman
10. Atosha
11. Born To Love You

Back