• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

51U1-8KQKmL.jpg

That Shearing Sound -- CD

The New George Shearing Quintet

1994 Telarc Records

This was pianist George Shearing's first recording in a piano-vibes-guitar-bass-drums quintet since he broke up his original group in 1978 after 30 years of steady work; Shearing sounds surprisingly inspired throughout. With guitarist Louis Stewart, vibraphonist Steve Nelson, bassist Neil Swainson, and drummer Dennis Mackrel, Shearing explores such vintage Quintet standards as "East of the Sun (And West of the Moon)" and "I'll Never Smile Again" along with two Horace Silver compositions, a pair of his own songs ("Conception" and his biggest hit, "Lullaby of Birdland"), and a variety of other suitable material. The music ranges from easy listening to hard-driving bebop. The sound of the George Shearing Quintet remains as appealing as ever. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. East of the Sun (And West of the Moon)
2. I Like to Recognize the Tune
3. I'll Never Smile Again
4. I Hear Music
5. Girl Talk
6. Autumn Serenade
7. Consternation
8. Stars in My Eyes
9. Strollin'
10. Very Early
11. Conception
12. Peace
13. Lullaby of Birdland

Personnel: George Shearing (piano); Louis Stewart (guitar); Steve Nelson (vibraphone); Dennis Machrel (drums).Recording information: Power Station, NY (02/14/1994-02/16/1994).

41KG8N0CHGL_zpsd888faf5.jpg

A Swingin' Night at Birdland -- Remastered CD

Joe Williams

1962/1991 Roulette/Blue Note Records

In 1961, after six years as one of the main attractions of Count Basie's orchestra, Williams (with Basie's blessing) went out on his own. One of his first sessions was this live recording, cut at Birdland with a strong quintet that featured trumpeter Harry "Sweets" Edison and Jimmy Forrest on tenor. Williams mostly sings standards and ballads, but also tosses in a few of his popular blues (including "Well Alright, OK, You Win" and "Goin' to Chicago") during a well-rounded and thoroughly enjoyable set. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. September in the Rain
2. Come Back Baby
3. 5 O'Clock in the Morning
4. By the River St. Marie
5. This Can't Be Love
6. Teach Me Tonight
7. Well O. K. Alright You Win
8. I Was Telling Her About You
9. Have You Met Miss Jones?
10. Roll 'Em Pete
11. You're Everything But Mine
12. Falling in Love With Love
13. Goin' to Chicago Blues
14. The Very Thought of You

Personnel includes: Joe Williams (vocals), Harry "Sweets" Edison (trumpet), Jimmy Forrest (tenor saxophone), Hugh Lawson (piano), Ike Issacs (bass), Clarence Johnson (drums).Recorded live at Birdland, New York City in June 1962.

Today's work truck music...

51e7IXUT8%2BL._SS500_.jpg

Great Moments with B.B. King -- CD

B.B. King

1981 MCA Records

Fine mix of live & studio recordings, January 9, 2000
By MilesAndTrane (Chicago, Il USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Moments With B.B. King (Audio CD)

Compared to other efforts, "Great Moments With B.B. King" is something of a lesser effort. The first half of the album is comprised of intimate, live club performances. The second half are studio tracks. If you love "ol' school" sounding blues then this is for you. Part of the ol' school trick comes from the mixing. Whether live or in the studio, these records are usually mixed to sound as if the drums and bass guitar are in the back of the stage/studio, followed by organ and/or rhythm guitar in the middle, with horns, lead guitar & vocals up front. This album sticks by the ol' school method faithfully and sounds better for doing so. The studio cuts are not as great as the small club performances; the first 5 live tracks are especially mindblowing.

Maybe you've heard the King or Lucille sound better on other albums and you may be right, but the feeling is still overwhelming. This album is authentic, gritty blues from the King that would soon be replaced by the air-tight, blemish-free performances we now know (but love anyway).

Track listing

1. Waitin' on You
2. Gambler's Blues
3. Tired of Your Jive
4. Night Life
5. Buzz Me
6. Blind Love
7. Baby Get Lost
8. Gonna Keep on Loving You
9. I Know What You're Puttin' Down
10. Heartbreaker
11. Dance With Me
12. That's Wrong Little Mama
13. See See Rider
14. Wee Baby Blues
15. I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water
16. I'm Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town
17. How Long, How Long Blues
18. Cherry Red
19. Paying the Cost to Be the Boss
20. Until I Found You
21. I'm Gonna to Do What They Do to Me
22. Having My Say
23. I'm Not Wanted Anymore

51zTQYsht5L.jpg

Ballad Essentials -- CD

Gene Harris

2003 Concord Records

This compilation draws 11 tracks from nine Gene Harris albums recorded for Concord Records between 1989 and 1995, and what's striking is how consistent those tracks are. Working at slow tempos, Harris plus his accompanists -- ranging from piano-guitar-bass-drums quartets to a duet with tenor saxophonist Scott Hamilton ("At Last"); a trio with organist Jack McDuff and bass player Luther Hughes ("You Don't Know What Love Is"); and, finally, a solo piano piece ("Angel Eyes") -- maintain a bluesy, soulful approach that values expressive, yet precise playing. Harris usually takes the lead, though he makes a wonderful backup musician to Hamilton on the first half of "At Last" before executing a flourish and taking over for some attractive soloing even there. Like many other jazz musicians, Harris really came into his own in his maturity at Concord, and this is a good selection that demonstrates the strength of his overall catalog with the label. ~ William Ruhlmann

Track Listing
1. Sweet and Lovely
2. Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out
3. Until the Real Thing Comes Along
4. This Masquerade
5. At Last
6. Everything Happens to Me
7. Black and Blue
8. When You Wish Upon a Star
9. You Don't Know What Love Is
10. That's All
11. Angel Eyes

This is part of Concord Jazz's Ballad Essentials series.Personnel: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Scott Hamilton (tenor saxophone); Jeff Hamilton, Jack McDuff (Hammond B-3 organ) , Paul Humphrey & the Cool Aid Chemists , Harold Jones (drums).Liner Note Author: Scott Yanow.Recording information: Capitol studios, Los Angeles, CA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995); Coast Recorders, San Francisco, CA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995); Manchester's Craftsmen's Guild, Pittsburgh, PA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995); Master Track, Hayward, CA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995); Maybeck Recital Hall, Berkley, CA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995); Spirit Wind Studios, Hayward, CA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995); The Plant Recording Studios, Sausalito, CA (03/??/1989-03/11/1995).

61P4WD9uNSL._SS500_.jpg

...Sings Kristofferson -- CD

Willie Nelson

1979 Columbia Records

Long before alternative country, even before "outlaw country," Kris Kristofferson was defining the outer limits of country music with his frank, boozy, often risque songs and rough-hewn singing. In 1979, Nelson recorded a collection of Kristofferson's best compositions, appropriately titled WILLIE NELSON SINGS KRISTOFFERSON. The set kicks off with a funky take on "Me and Bobbie McGee," then slides effortlessly through eight more classics including "Help Me Make Me Through the Night," "Sunday Morning Comin' Down," "For the Good Times," and one of gospel's great songs of self-recrimination, "Why Me."Recorded at the peak of Nelson's fame, this disc is vintage Willie and Family, loose but never sloppy. It almost sounds as if the band is playing the songs for the first time, but that they know each other so well and are such expert players that the whole thing falls together naturally and effortlessly. Nelson obviously loves this material, and it shows both in his singing and his guitar playing, which is particularly inspired here. In the 1980s Willie and Kristofferson formed a country supergroup with Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash, recording and touring as The Highwaymen.

Track Listing
1. Me and Bobby McGee
2. Help Me Make It Through the Night
3. Pilgrim, Chapter 33, The
4. Why Me
5. For the Good Times
6. You Show Me Yours (And I'll Show You Mine)
7. Loving Her Was Easier (Than Anything I'll Ever Do Again)
8. Sunday Morning Coming Down
9. Please Don't Tell Me How the Story Ends

Earlier this....................(Thanks for the reminder on this one Dennie!)

Dennie said:
Today's work truck music...

2f18eb6709a06854eafa2110.L.jpg

August and Everything After -- CD

Counting Crows

1993 Geffen Records

Crows Fly High, December 21, 2000
By Thomas Magnum (NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER) (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: August & Everything After (Audio CD)

August & Everything After is the amazing debut from Counting Crows. They mix the lyrical stylings of Van Morrison and the rustic sounds of The Band with a dash of U2 thrown in for good measure. But despite these obvious influences, they band has a fresh and unique sound all their own. Adam Duritz uses a sharp pen in his writing and he has one of the most soulful and expressive voices in music. He practically bleeds on songs like somber "Round Here", the condemning of suburban life of "Perfect Blue Buildings" and the gorgeous and lilting "Sullivan Street". "Anna Begins" is a sweet love song and "Rain King" has a soaring sound to it. "Murder Of One" closes the album in a U2-esque, spiritual like rocker. "Mr. Jones" was the breakout song from the album and the one that gained the band large airplay. It is an immediate classic with a memorable guitar riff and vivid lyrics. Mr. Duritz says he wants to Bob Dylan in the song and he comes *** close on the song. The album was an alternative to the alternative music that dominated the airways at the time. The album was heaped with well-deserved praise, as it is one of the ten best of the 90's.

All tracks written by Adam Duritz unless otherwise indicated.

"Round Here" (Duritz, Dave Janusko, Dan Jewett, Chris Roldan, David Bryson) – 5:32
"Omaha" – 3:40
"Mr. Jones" (Duritz, Bryson) – 4:33
"Perfect Blue Buildings" – 5:01
"Anna Begins" (Duritz, Bryson, Marty Jones, Toby Hawkins, Lydia Holly) – 4:32
"Time and Time Again" (Duritz, Bryson, Charlie Gillingham, Steve Bowman, Don Dixon) – 5:13
"Rain King" (Duritz, Bryson) – 4:16
"Sullivan Street" (Duritz, Bryson) – 4:29
"Ghost Train" – 4:01
"Raining in Baltimore" – 4:41
"A Murder of One" (Duritz, Bryson, Matt Malley) – 5:44

:text-bravo:
The title cut of that Doobies album doesn't sound like the Doobies at all, but damn it cooks! :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:

Great music Keith. Joan sure has soul.... :banana-rock:

Right now....

61Z94AE7KGL.jpg

Western Standard Time -- CD

Asleep At The Wheel

1988 Epic Records

As the standard-bearers for a half-century old music genre, Western swing revival band Asleep at the Wheel has always had one cowboy boot planted firmly in the past. True, the band has been known to crank out a catchy original song in its time, but its bread-and-butter is the familiar repertoire of bygone country and swing tunes. WESTERN STANDARD TIME finds the band working through 10 very familiar tunes, successfully breathing life into material that, in lesser hands, could easily degenerate into museum pieces.The mother lode for Western swing material, of course, is Bob Wills' catalog, and unsurprisingly WESTERN STANDARD TIME plucks two songs, "San Antonio Rose" and "Roly Poly," from this treasure chest. The band also revisits Hank Garland's classic "Sugarfoot Rag" with a performance that earned a Grammy for best instrumental recording. Willie Nelson chips in vocal support on "Chattanooga Choo Choo" and band leader Ray Benson demonstrates considerable moxie by taking on "That Lucky Old Sun," a song previously immortalized by both Frankie Laine and Ray Charles. Other highlights of this uniformly strong album include the two-step boogie "Hot Rod Lincoln" and the anthemic "That's What I Like About the South."

Track Listing
1. Chattanooga Choo Choo
2. Don't Let Go
3. Hot Rod Lincoln
4. That's What I Like 'Bout the South
5. That Lucky Old Sun (Just Rolls Around Heaven All Day)
6. Walk on By
7. San Antonio Rose
8. Roly Poly
9. Sugarfoot Rag
10. Walking the Floor over You

Asleep At The Wheel: Larry Franklin (vocals, guitar, fiddle); Ray Benson (vocals, guitar, 6-string bass); Tim Alexander (vocals, piano); John Ely (pedal & pedal steel guitars, Fender Hawaiian); Mike Francis (saxophone); John Mitchell (bass); David Sanger (drums).Additional personnel: Larry Seyer (vocals, guitar, Fender bass); Johnny Gimble (vocals, electric mandolin, fiddle); Willie Nelson, Chris O'Connell (vocals); Tony Garnier (6-string & upright bass).

BellamyBrothersRealityCheck_zps3ff3ea6f.jpg

Reality Check -- CD

The Bellamy Brothers

1990 Curb/MCA Records

Track Listing
1. Too Late
2. I Could Be Persuaded
3. Have a Little Compassion
4. Was There Life Before This Love
5. Makin' Promises
6. What's the World Coming To
7. Forever Ain't Long Enough
8. How Can You Be Everywhere at the Same Time
9. I Don't Wanna Lose You
10. Reality Check

Personnel: Biff Watson (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Jeff Ross, Reggie Young (electric guitar); Paul Franklin (steel guitar); Jim Horn (saxophone); Chuck Ward, Mike Lawler, John Jarvis (keyboards); Emory Gordy, Jr. (6-string bass); Larrie Londin (drums); Ed Enoch, Larry Strickland, Tony King, Vince Gill, Woody Wright (background vocals).Audio Mixer: Steve Tillisch.Photographer: Mark Tucker .

61diLhuTKrL.jpg

Six Pack -- CD

Gary Burton & Friends

1992 GRP Records

Gary Burton's peculiar connection and affinity for great guitarists is a proven historical fact, as he has been responsible for bringing such fantastic musicians to the world stage as Larry Coryell and Pat Metheny. On Six Pack, he joins with six different six-stringers for some decidedly varied modern jazz. Kurt Rosenwinkel makes like Metheny on the first track, the up-tempo Mitch Forman composition "Anthem." Any predictability to the song disappears in the presence of the rhythm section of Jack DeJohnette, Steve Swallow, and Mulgrew Miller. One doesn't generally think of the vibes as a blues instrument, and to be fair, it's really not, but Burton gives it the old college try on the title track, where his vibes intersect surprisingly well with Bob Berg's tenor sax and B.B. King's guitar. There is absolutely nothing weighty about this song at all, but it is fun and swinging nevertheless (who says jazz has to be serious all the time?). John Scofield also shows up on the track, and his distinctive tone and phrasing work perfectly in this setting. Other selections include such notables as Jim Hall, Ralph Towner, and Kevin Eubanks, and all of their contributions are solid in their own way. One sometimes wishes that this record was a little less GRP, with Larry Goldings' keyboards and Berg's sax being the most frequent offenders, but there are plenty of hot moments on Six Pack that make this record worth searching out, especially for fans of jazz guitar. Where else will listeners find all of these great players on a single record? ~ Daniel Gioffre Recorded at The Power Station, New York on December 28 & 29, 1991, January 4, February 24 and April 25, 1992.

1. Anthem
2. Six Pack
3. Summertime
4. Jack's Theme
5. Lost Numbers
6. Double Guatemala
7. Asphodel
8. Redial
9. Invitation
10. My Funny Valentine
11. Something Special
12. Guitarre Picante

Personnel: Gary Burton (vibraphone, percussion); Jim Hall, Kurt Rosenwinkel , B.B. King, Kevin Eubanks, John Scofield (guitar); Ralph Towner (classical guitar); Bob Berg (tenor saxophone); Paul Schaffer, Paul Shaffer (piano, organ); Mulgrew Miller (piano); Larry Goldings (organ, keyboards); Jack DeJohnette (drums); Will Lee (percussion). Liner Note Authors: Jim Hall; Kurt Rosenwinkel ; Ralph Towner; B.B. King; Kevin Eubanks; John Scofield; Neil Tesser.

71bDEpo1uhS_zps154ee42e.jpg

Play The Music of Duke Ellington -- CD

Gary Burton - Jay Leonhart - Terry Clarke - Joe Beck

1995/2002 LRC Records

This swinging session focuses on a dozen standards from the vast Duke Ellington songbook. Bassist Jay Leonhart sings along with his bass a la Slam Stewart to open "In a Mellotone" and "C Jam Blues." A loping "Azure" features Joe Beck's brash guitar contrasting with Gary Burton's bluesy vibes. Burton and Leonhart's smoking duo version of "Take the 'A' Train" and a soft pretty take of "Isfahan" (omitting Beck) are the top tracks of the date. A pleasant, if not essential CD. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. In a Mellow Tone
2. Rockin' in Rhythm
3. C Jam Blues
4. Love You Madly
5. Azure
6. Cottontail
7. Creole Love Song
Personnel: Jay Leonhart (bass); Joe Beck (guitar); Gary Burton (vibraphone); Terry Clark (drums).Recorded at Clinton Recording Studios, New York, New York on November 8, 1994.

VanMorrison-LiveAtTheGrandOperaHous_zpscb904db0.jpg

Live at The Grand Opera House Belfast -- Remastered CD

Van Morrison

1984 Caledonia/Polydor Records

LIVE AT THE GRAND OPERA HOUSE BELFAST showcases Van Morrison's best material from the late 1970s and early 1980s. During this period, Morrison rarely performed the early 1970s songs ("Moondance," "Domino," etc.) for which he is best known. Instead, his sets favored newer, more spiritual numbers from albums like INTO THE MUSIC and BEAUTIFUL VISION. In fact, six of the eleven songs on LIVE AT THE GRAND OPERA HOUSE BELFAST first appeared on BEAUTIFUL VISION.These live recordings--vital, inspired, and punchy--represent a marked improvement over the more subdued studio versions of these songs. Best of all are a revved up "Cleaning Windows," a Zen tribute to manual labor; "She Gives Me Religion;" and "Full Force Gale," a foot-stomping homage to unadulterated faith in God. Longtime James Brown sideman Pee Wee Ellis appears on saxophone and flute, and Van takes a stab at a sax solo himself, much to the audience's delight. Those looking for live versions of Van's early hits should check out IT'S TOO LATE TO STOP NOW, a concert album recorded in 1974.

Track Listing
1. Introduction: Into The Mystic (Instrumental) / Inarticulate Speech Of The Heart
1. Introduction: Into the Mystic/Inarticulate Speech of the Heart
2. Dweller on the Threshold
3. It's All In The Game / You Know What They're Writing About
3. It's All in the Game/You Know What They're Writing About
4. She Gives Me Religion
5. Haunts of Ancient Peace
6. Full Force Gale
7. Beautiful Vision
8. Vanlose Stairway
9. Rave On John Donne / Rave On Part Two
9. Pt. 2 Rave on John Donne/Rave On
10. Northern Muse (Solid Ground)
11. Cleaning Windows

Personnel: Van Morrison (vocals, guitar, saxophone, piano); Chris Michie (guitar); Pee Wee Ellis (flute, saxophone, background vocals); Mark Isham (trumpet, synthesizer); John Allair (piano, organ); David Hayes (bass); Peter Van Hooke, Tom Donlinger (drums); Katie Kissoon, Bianca Thornton, Carol Kenyon (background vocals).Recorded live at the Grand Opera House, Belfast, Northern Ireland on March 11th & 12th, 1983.All tracks have been digitally remastered from the original master tapes.

Back