• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Skrillex:

skrillex.jpg

71qqZtfx2aL.jpg

Clapton -- CD

Eric Clapton

2010 Reprise Records

Editorial Reviews

Co-produced by guitarist and long-time collaborator Doyle Bramhall II, ‘Clapton’ features an all star cast of musical collaborations started with the legendary JJ Cale, drummer Jim Keltner, bassist Willie Weeks, and keyboardist Walt Richmond - and the sessions later added guests including Steve Winwood, Wynton Marsalis, Sheryl Crow, Allen Toussaint, and Derek Trucks. Clapton created a collection that touches on everything from century-old traditional brass bands to little-known country blues to brand-new originals. The result is both relaxed and revelatory, and unlike anything the guitarist has done in his legendary career.

‘This album wasn't what it was intended to be at all,’ says Eric Clapton. ‘It's actually better than it was meant to be because, in a way, I just let it happen. It's an eclectic collection of songs that weren't really on the map - and I like it so much because if it's a surprise to the fans, that's only because it's a surprise to me, as well.’

"Travelin' Alone" (Lil' Son Jackson) – 3:56
"Rocking Chair" (Hoagy Carmichael) – 4:04
"River Runs Deep" (JJ Cale) – 5:52
"Judgement Day" (Snooky Pryor) – 3:13
"How Deep Is the Ocean" (Irving Berlin) – 5:29
"My Very Good Friend the Milkman" (Lyrics:Johnny Burke, Music: Harold Spina) – 3:20
"Can't Hold Out Much Longer" (Walter Jacobs) – 4:08
"That's No Way to Get Along" (Robert Wilkins) – 6:07
"Everything Will Be Alright" (Cale) – 3:51
"Diamonds Made from Rain" (Doyle Bramhall II, Nikka Costa, Justin Stanley) – 4:22
"When Somebody Thinks You're Wonderful" (Harry M. Woods) – 2:51
"Hard Times Blues" (Lane Hardin) – 3:45
"Run Back to Your Side" (Bramhall, Eric Clapton) – 5:17
"Autumn Leaves" (Joseph Kosma, Johnny Mercer, Jacques Prévert) – 5:40

Performers

Eric Clapton – vocals, guitar, mandolin
Doyle Bramhall II – guitar, percussion, vocals, vocal arrangement
JJ Cale – guitar, vocals
Jim Keltner – drums, percussion
Willie Weeks – bass guitar, double bass
Walt Richmond – piano, keyboards, hammond organ, wurlitzer electric piano
Derek Trucks – guitar, slide guitar
Paul Carrack – hammond organ
Sereca Henderson – organ
London Session Orchestra – strings
Allen Toussaint – piano
Wynton Marsalis – trumpet
Kim Wilson – harmonica on "Judgement Day" and "Can't Hold Out Much Longer"
Sheryl Crow – vocals
Nikka Costa – backing vocals
Terry Evans – backing vocals
Willie Green, Jr. – backing vocals
Lynn Mabry – backing vocals
Arnold McCuller – backing vocals
Debra Parsons – backing vocals
Steve Winwood - guitars, vocals, hammond B3

516P1KkS6zL._SS500_.jpg

Deep Song - A Tribute To Billie Holiday -- Remastered CD

Ranee Lee featuring Oliver Jones & Milt Hinton

1995/2012 Justin Time Records

On this excellent CD, one of Ranee Lee's earliest recordings, the singer pays tribute to Billie Holiday with renditions of a dozen songs associated with Lady Day. The Canadian release features Lee joined by pianist Oliver Jones, guitarist Richard Ring, Richard Beaudet on reeds, veteran bassist Milt Hinton, and drummer Archie Alleyne; the title cut also includes a string section. Lee manages to recapture Holiday's spirit without resorting to mimicry. This tasteful effort has among its highlights "When a Woman Loves a Man," "Crazy He Calls Me," "Easy Living," and "Them There Eyes." Recommended. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. I Wonder Where Our Love Has Gone - (featuring Milt Hinton/Oliver Jones)
2. When A Woman Loves A Man - (featuring Milt Hinton/Oliver Jones)
3. Crazy He Calls Me - (featuring Milt Hinton/Oliver Jones)
4. What A Little Moonlight Can Do - (featuring Milt Hinton/Oliver Jones)
5. God Bless The Child - (featuring Milt Hinton/Oliver Jones)
6. Somebody's On My Mind - (featuring Milt Hinton/Oliver Jones)
7. Easy Livin' - (featuring Milt Hinton/Oliver Jones)
8. Strange Fruit - (featuring Milt Hinton/Oliver Jones)
9. Ain't Nobody's Business - (featuring Milt Hinton/Oliver Jones)
10. Them There Eyes - (featuring Milt Hinton/Oliver Jones)
11. Don't Explain - (featuring Milt Hinton/Oliver Jones)
12. Deep Song - (featuring Oliver Jones)
13. Fine And Mellow - (featuring Oliver Jones/Richard Beaudet)
14. Ill Wind - (featuring Oliver Jones/Richard Beaudet)

51Ih4f1sBJL.jpg

Quartet -- Remastered CD

Gerry Mulligan - Paul Desmond

1957/1993 Verve Records

This is the first recorded collaboration of baritone saxophone great Gerry Mulligan and the witty alto saxophonist Paul Desmond. Despite hardly any preparation for these recording sessions, the two men complement one another's playing beautifully, as both of them were highly melodic improvisers. Desmond brought three originals to the sessions: the driving "Blues in Time," the soft ballad "Wintersong" (which is based on the chord changes to "These Foolish Things"), and "Battle Hymn of the Republican" (which is actually a complex reworking of "Tea for Two"). Mulligan's contributions include his earlier hit "Line for Lyons," "Stand Still" (based on "My Heart Stood Still"), and the Latin-tinged "Fall Out" (taken from "Let's Fall in Love"). Mulligan was clearly annoyed when told that three unissued tracks ("Tea for Two," "Lover," and an alternate take of "Wintersong") had been added to the CD reissue, but was clearly amused at the accidental and unlisted first take of "Lover," which falls apart after a minute-and-a-half and is followed by some discussion. Bassist Joe Benjamin and drummer Dave Bailey provide excellent rhythmic support throughout this highly recommended CD. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. Blues in Time
2. Body and Soul
3. Stand Still
4. Line for Lyons
5. Wintersong-Take 1 - (take 1)
6. Battle Hymn of the Republican
7. Fall Out
8. Tea for Two - (previously unreleased)
9. take 2) Wintersong-Take 2 - (previously unreleased
10. Lover - (previously unreleased)
11. [Untitled Track] - (hidden track)

Quartet.Personnel: Gerry Mulligan (baritone saxophone); Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Joe Benjamin (acoustic bass); Dave Bailey (drums).Recorded at Capitol Records Studio, Los Angeles, California, on August 2, 1957 and Fine Sound Studio, New York, on August 27, 1957. Originally released on Verve MGV (8246). Includes liner notes by Harvey Pekar and Nat Hentoff

Today's work truck music....

c66681b0c8a0a145737da110.L.jpg

Back To Oakland -- CD

Tower of Power

1974/1990? Warner Bros. Records

Paying tribute to their hometown, Tower Of Power's BACK TO OAKLAND is a landmark in the group's history. Sporting the syncopated instrumental "Oakland Stroke" that bookends the disc, this set is the very definition of the Tower Of Power sound and style, powered by both the ultra-funky rhythm section and the world-renowned Tower Of Power horns.Vocalist Lenny Williams is the guiding light through R&B-flavored cuts like the bouncing "Don't Change Horses (In the Middle of the Stream)" and the dramatic ballad "Just When We Start Makin' It." It's the signature instrumental "Squib Cakes," however, that opens the floodgates to all the funky power that the band can muster; it's the group's premiere showcase, with hearty contributions from keyboardist Chester Thompson, drummer David Garibaldi, and the entire stellar horn section.

Track Listing
1. Oakland Stroke...
2. Don't Change Horses (In the Middle of a Stream)
3. Just When We Start Makin' It
4. Can't You See (You Doin' Me Wrong)
5. Squib Cakes
6. Time Will Tell
7. Man From the Past
8. Love's Been Gone So Long
9. I Got the Chop
10. Below Us, All the City Lights
11. ...Oakland Stroke

Tower Of Power: Lenny Williams (vocals); Bruce Conte (guitar, background vocals); Emillo Castillo (tenor saxophone, background vocals); Lenny Pickett (flute, piccolo, soprano, alto, tenor, & bass saxophone); Steve Kupka (baritone saxophone, English horn, background vocals); Greg Adams (trumpet, flugelhorn, bells, background vocals); Mic Gillette (trumpet, flugelhorn, trombones, background vocals); Chester Thompson (keyboards, background vocals); Francis Rocco Prestia (bass); Brent Byars (congas); David Garibaldi (drums);

090431523322_zps7a270f13.jpg

Dakota At Storyville -- CD

Dakota Staton

1961/1991 Capitol/Collectable Records

This album features singer Dakota Staton at her best. Recorded live at Boston's Storyville, Staton sounds quite inspired on such numbers as "Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby," "Saturday Night Is the Loneliest Night of the Week," "When I Grow Too Old to Dream" (which spontaneously becomes a crowd singalong), "Mean and Evil Blues," and "Don't Get Around Much Anymore." Other than pianist Norman Simmons, the accompanying quartet is unidentified, but the man on tenor, flute, and (on "Music, Maestro, Please") oboe is obviously Yusef Lateef. An underrated gem. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby?
2. This Is the Beginning of the End
3. Saturday Night (Is the Loneliest Night of the Week)
4. The Show Must Go On
5. When I Grow Too Old to Dream
6. Mean and Evil Blues
7. Don't Get Around Much Anymore
8. It's the Talk of the Town
9. Easy to Love
10. Maestro, Please! Music
11. Girls Play Your Hands

Personnel includes: Dakota Staton (vocals); Norman Simmons (piano).Recorded live at Storyville, Boston, Massachusetts on April 29, 1961.

51Qmw8r9hPL_zps16d37a84.jpg

1944 -- Remastered CD

Bunk Johnson

1044/1991 American Music Records

Trumpeter Bunk Johnson recorded extensively with his band of New Orleanians during 1944-45, including multiple performances of some of their selections. The American Music label, in their series of Bunk CDs, have straightened out the music to an extent, although some alternate takes have still only come out on sets by Japanese companies and the performances have not been reissued in strict chronological order. This CD has 15 selections from four sessions that took place within a five-day period. Johnson is joined by drummer Baby Dodds and the nucleus of what would six years later be the George Lewis band (Lewis on clarinet, trombonist Jim Robinson, banjoist Lawrence Marrero and bassist Alcide Pavageau). In general, Bunk sounds fairly strong and, although Lewis is sometimes out of tune, the joy of the ensemble oriented music overrides any occasional technical deficiencies. Myrtle Jones helps out with a vocal on "My Life Will Be Sweeter Someday." Among the better selections are "We Will Walk Through the Streets of the City," a previously unreleased version of "Sister Kate," "There's Yes Yes in Your Eyes," "Panama" and "When the Saints Go Marching In." ~ Scott Yanow

1. Tiger Rag, Pt. 2
2. We Will Walk Through the Streets [#2]
3. Sister Kate [#2][#]
4. Lord, Lord, You Sure Are Good to Me [#2]
5. Darktown Strutters' Ball [#1]
6. When You Wore a Tulip
7. Careless Love, No. 3
8. There's Yes! Yes! In Your Eyes
9. My Life Will Be Sweeter Someday
10. Shake It and Break It [#4]
11. Panama [#3]
12. Alabama Bound
13. High Society
14. Ballin' the Jack [#2]
15. When the Saints Go Marching In [#2]

KGrHqRrFCTB85foDBQMGeD60_12_zps9c624a03.jpg

I'm Old Fashioned -- CD

Bill Charlap with Peter Bernstein and Peter Washington

2010 Venus Records (Import Japan)

Nobody would argue that Bill Charlap is one of the most preeminent jazz pianists of his generation. His encyclopedic knowledge of the American Songbook is second to none, and his beautiful touch, amazing skills and imagination make it a pleasure to listen to him at all times.

As some of you already know, Charlap has recorded a number of great albums for Venus Records of Japan with his great New York Trio (with Jay Leonhart and Bill Stewart). For this, latest release, he decided to take a slightly different direction with a drum-less trio with guitarist Peter Bernstein and bassist Peter Washington.

Having a guitarist instead of a drummer softenes the texture of the trio sound and make it more intimate. It also makes the sound of the bass come forward so one can appreciate, in this case, the virtuosity of Washington. Charlap's tone is pristine and his solos are sigh-inducingly beautiful. The group's style may seem "old fashioned" on surface, but their interpretations of standards are modern, sophisticated and urban. This CD is a must-have item for fans of Bill Charlap! Enthusiastically recommended!

Produced by Tetsuo Hara & Todd Barkan. Recorded at The Avatar Studio in New York on December 17 & 18, 2009. Engineered by Katherine Miller. Mixed and Mastered by Tetsuo Hara / Venus Hyper Magnum Sound Direct Mix. - Swing Journal Gold Disc.

Track Listings:
1. I'm Old Fashioned (J.Kern) 5:10
2. I Can't Get Started (V.Duke) 4:08
3. Stella By Starlight (V.Young) 3:01
4. Ghost Of A Chance (V.Young) 5:00
5. All The Things You Are (K.Kern) 4:24
6. Easy Living (R.Rainger) 4:17
7. Darn That Dream (J. Van Heusen) 4:18
8. Angel Eyes (M.Dennis) 4:08
9. What Is This Thing Called Love (C.Porter) 4:22
10. Body And Soul (J.Green) 4:11
11. Gone With The Wind (A.Wrubel) 3:37
12. Everything Happens To Me (M.Dennis) 4:46
13. These Foolish Things (J.Strachey,H.Link) 3:56

Recorded at The Avatar Studio in New York on December 17 & 18, 2009

Performed by:
Bill Charlap - piano
Peter Bernstein - guitar 
Peter Washington - bass

sonhdi4253_zps3c6ec8e8.jpg

Stardust -- Remastered Limited Edition K2HD CD (#135)

Willie Nelson

Sony Music (Import Japan)

Limited Edition of Only 1000 Numbered Copies
Produced by Booker T. Jones and released on Columbia Records in 1978, Stardust finds the Texas music legend Willie Nelson interpreting a superb collection of pop standards from the Great American Songbook which he grew up with including “Georgia on My Mind,” “Moonlight in Vermont,” “September Song,” “All of Me,” and “Blue Skies.”

Issued at the height of the outlaw country movement, the timeless classic hit number No. 1 on Billboard’s Top Country Albums chart (remaining there for 10 years), produced no less than four hit singles, was certified quintuple platinum in the U.S., and garnered a Grammy award for Best Male Country Vocal Performance (for “Georgia on My Mind”).

These CDs are mastered with superior skill using the revolutionary K2 High Definition Coding technology. K2 HD Mastering enhances the sound spectrum to a bandwidth of 100kHz and 24-bit resolution while retaining all the charm of the original recording resulting in extended nuance, dynamics and musicality!

Musicians:
Booker T. Jones (producer, organ, piano)
Willie Nelson (vocals, guitar)
Bobbie Nelson (piano)
Paul English (drums)
Rex Ludwick (drums)
Jody Payne (guitar)
Bee Spears / Chris Ethridge (bass)
Mickey Raphael (harmonica)

Features:
• K2 HDCD 100kHz / 24-bit Mastering
• Numbered Limited Edition of 1000 copies
• Includes clear protective outer sleeve
• Compatible with all CD players
• Made in Japan

Willie Nelson Stardust Track Listing:

1. Stardust
2. Georgia On My Mind
3. Blue Skies
4. All of Me
5. Unchained Melody
6. September Song
7. On the Sunny Side of the Street
8. Moonlight In Vermont
9. Don’t Get Around Much Anymore
10. Someone to Watch Over Me

Today's work truck music....

0c59c060ada0e3d83eed0210.L.jpg

In Between Dreams -- CD

Jack Johnson

2005 Brushfire Records

Amazon.com

For a man who gets his biggest kicks surfing the waves and strumming his guitar on a lonely beach in native Hawaii, singer-songwriter Jack Johnson has carved out quite a remarkable career on the mainland. His 2003 album, On and On, debuted at No. 3 on The Billboard 200 and subsequently went platinum on the back of hit single "The Horizon Has Been Defeated." The follow-up, meanwhile, seems destined to shine even brighter. The drifting chords and soft voice are still in place, only now Johnson's instinct for melody has sharpened alongside his ability to self-edit. These small concessions make third album, In Between Dreams, his most conspicuous, particularly on tracks like the three-minute relationship drama, "Sitting, Waiting, Wishing," and "Breakdown," a song he originally recorded for Handsome Boy Modeling School's White People album remade here to reveal its full stripped-down loveliness. Imagine all the coconuts it will buy. -- Aidin Vaziri

1. "Better Together" 3:27
2. "Never Know" 3:32
3. "Banana Pancakes" 3:12
4. "Good People" 3:28
5. "No Other Way" 3:09
6. "Sitting, Waiting, Wishing" 3:03
7. "Staple It Together" Jack Johnson, Merlo Podlewski 3:16
8. "Situations" 1:17
9. "Crying Shame" Jack Johnson, Adam Topol 3:06
10. "If I Could" 2:25
11. "Breakdown" Jack Johnson, Dan Nakamura & Paul Huston 3:32
12. "Belle" 1:43
13. "Do You Remember" 2:24
14. "Constellations" 3:21

11522848_120710071559_zps68c0f2db.jpg

Live At The Metropole Cafe N.Y.C. -- Remastered CD

Lionel Hampton and His Orchestra

1961-62/1989 Hindsight Records

.Although Lionel Hampton is heard on these live dates at the head of a big band, the vibraphonist takes nearly all of the solo space on the 11 selections included on this CD. Pinnoccio James has two vocals and tenor saxophonist Andrew McGhee stretches out on "Flying Home," but otherwise this is very much a Hampton showcase. Even on the ten minutes-plus of "Blues for Gertie," it is virtually all Hamp. Fortunately, the vibraphonist is in exuberant and hard-swinging form, so his renditions of "After You've Gone," "How High the Moon" and some basic originals are worth hearing. The backup band includes trumpeter Virgil Jones, altoist Bobby Plater and sometimes painist Roland Hanna and baritonist Pepper Adams. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. After You've Gone
2. It's All Right With Me
3. Alexander's Ragtime Band
4. Rebecca Rebecca
5. Blues for Gertie
6. Flying Home
7. McGhee
8. Lonesome Nights (Take My Word)
9. How High the Moon
10. Mr. John
11. America by Night (Mr. 'J')

Personnel: Lionel Hampton (vibraphone); Pinnoccio James (vocals); Richard Williams (saxophone, trumpet); Bobby Plater, Ed Pazant, Andrew McGhee, Herman Green, Lonnie Shaw, Pepper Adams, John Neely (saxpophone); Dave Gonsalves, Virgil Jones, Floyd Jones, Andrew Wood (trumpet); Vincenta Prudente, Haleem Rasheed, George Jeffers, Lester Robinson (trombone); Harold Mabern, Roland Hanna, Kenny Shaw Lowe (piano); Calvin Newborn, Billy Mackell (guitar); Lawrence Burgan (bass); Wilbur Hogan, Wayne Robinson (drums).Recorded live at the Metropole Cafe, New York, New York in 1960 and 1961. Includes liner notes by Brad McCuen.Digitally remastered by Charlie Mack and John Jungklaus.

MI0000726792_zps2a7080c6.jpg

You Taught My Heart to Sing -- CD

Houston Person with Bill Charlap

2006 Highnote Records

Tenor saxophonist Houston Person teams up with pianist Bill Charlap on this ten-track collection of standards, You Taught My Heart to Sing. Both musicians have released individual albums paying homage to the great songwriters of the '30s and '40s -- George Gershwin, Hoagy Carmichael, Irving Berlin -- but this is the first time they teamed up in the studio together. Along with such tried and true chestnuts as "S'Wonderful," "Sweet Lorraine," and "Namely You," the duo brings a few originals into the musical fold as well as contemporary romantic standards such as "Where Is the Love." Recorded in the cozy confines of Rudy Van Gelder's studio in Englewood, NJ, the mood is relaxed yet not moribund, nor does the duo succumb to adding weepy strings or sappy horn arrangements. Person and Charlap don't break any new ground with this recording; rather they continue to showcase their combined enduring passion for ballads. ~ Al Campbell

Track Listing
1. You Taught My Heart to Sing
2. Namely You
3. Where Are You
4. Sweet Lorraine
5. If I Ruled the World
6. 'S Wonderful
7. Where Is the Love
8. I Was Telling Her About You
9. Don't Forget the Blues
10. I Wonder Where Our Love Has Gone

Personnel: Houston Person (tenor saxophone); Houston Person; Bill Charlap (piano).Audio Mixer: Rudy Van Gelder.Liner Note Author: Ray Osnato.Recording information: Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (08/04/2004).

bffdb2c008a0cc3972d08010_zps696ae0d3.jpg

All The Sad Young Men -- Remastered CD

Anita O'Day - The Gary McFarland Orchestra

1961/1998 Verve By Request

From her days with Gene Krupa and Stan Kenton in the '40s, Anita O'Day was a genuine jazz singer who could make the most of a big-band date. This 1961 recording pairs her with arranger Gary McFarland, who was just beginning to demonstrate his talent for creating constantly shifting backdrops filled with unexpected rhythmic figures and voicings. The title song and Willard Robson's "A Woman Alone with the Blues" gain orchestral dimension from McFarland's writing, while he's able to put his own stamp on Ellington's "Do Nothin' Till You Hear from Me." The songs are well-chosen vehicles for O'Day, a singer capable of both bemused irony and emotional directness, with the diction for Broadway lyrics and a facility for inventive scat singing. "Boogie Blues" updates an early O'Day hit with Gene Krupa's band, while Al Cohn's "Night Bird" and Horace Silver's "Senor Blues" are unusual in being big-band vocal treatments of bop tunes. The band is terrific, and altoist Phil Woods and guitarist Barry Galbraith make particularly good solo contributions. O'Day's vocals were overdubbed at separate sessions. It may add to the vocal presence, and given her scat exchange with Willie Dennis's trombone on "Up State," it seems to take nothing away from her involvement in the band. --Stuart Broomer

BOOGIE BLUES
YOU CAME A LONG WAY FROM ST. LOUIS
I WANT TO SING A SONG
A WOMEN ALONE WITH THE BLUES
THE BALLAD OF ALL THE SAD YOUNG MEN\
DO NOTHIN' TIL YOU HEAR FROM ME
ONE MORE MILE
NIGHTBIRD
UP STATE
SENOR BLUES

KGrHqVHJsE7yElVvYoBO8kqcOjFg60_35_zps28e7ea6f.jpg

Blues & Things -- 24/96 DAD

Earl Hines & Jimmy Rushing

1967/1998 Classic Records

A very hip 1967 encounter by Mr. 5 X 5 and another member of Jazz royalty, the Earl of Hines. Pianist Hines puts all eighty-eight keys to good use supporting the rotund blues-shouter Rushing, with Budd Johnson in attendance on tenor and soprano saxes, Bill Pemberton on bass, and Oliver Jackson at the drum kit. These sessions, originally released on the MJR label, possess great sound due to legendary engineer Rudy Van Gelder. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face and start your foot to tappin'.

Track Listings
1. Exactly Like You
2. Louisiana
3. Am I Blue
4. Summertime
5. Changin' The Blues
6. Save It Pretty Mama
7. Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone
8. One Night In Trinidad
9. St Louis Blues

Earl Hines - Piano, Jimmy Rushing - Vocal, Budd Johnson - Tenor & Soprano Sax, Bill Pemberton - Bass, Oliver Jackson - Drums

Today's (High Heat) work truck music....

99866230a8a0261dd09ff010.L.jpg

Cloud Nine -- CD

George Harrison

1987 Capitol Records

Cloud Nine, June 16, 2011
By Cole Schaffner "Rockband Freak ((*J*))" - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Cloud Nine (Audio CD)

This is one of my favorite Harrison albums! Great vocals and instrumentals. also it has a great crew of musicians working on it (Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Elton John, Ringo starr and more). Harrison really out played many of his 70's work. this record is a gem and i highly recommend.

All songs by George Harrison, except where noted.

"Cloud 9" – 3:15
"That's What It Takes" (George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Gary Wright) – 3:59
"Fish on the Sand" – 3:22
"Just for Today" – 4:06
"This Is Love" (George Harrison, Jeff Lynne) – 3:48
"When We Was Fab" (George Harrison, Jeff Lynne) – 3:57
A celebration of The Beatles and the 1960s.
"Devil's Radio" – 3:52
Masters of Reality recorded their version of the song for "Songs from the Material World: a Tribute to George Harrison" album
"Someplace Else" – 3:51
An earlier version of this song appeared in the 1986 film Shanghai Surprise.
"Wreck of the Hesperus" – 3:31
"Breath Away from Heaven" – 3:36
An earlier version of this song appeared in the 1986 film Shanghai Surprise.
"Got My Mind Set on You" (Rudy Clark) – 3:52

Natalie_Merchant_-_Ophelia.jpg

Ophelia is the title of a 1998 album, film, and song by Natalie Merchant. As evidenced in the pictures in the booklet that comes with the album, Merchant seems to see Shakespeare's Ophelia as a figure encompassing many important feminine archetypes.[attribution needed] The album and film explore several of these.

"Kind & Generous" was the most successful single of the album, reaching the Top 10 in the U.S. whilst Merchant was on tour with Lilith Fair. "Break Your Heart" also received single and video treatment. These and the other videos from the album, plus three from Tigerlily, were gathered on a Warner Music Vision home video, also entitled Ophelia. "I love the opportunity to flex my thespian muscle," Merchant quips on it.[5]

The song "King of May" is a tribute to poet Allen Ginsberg.[citation needed]

In 2009, a line from My Skin is accompanied by haunting images of animal abuse served as the basis for an ASPCA commercial. Shown mostly on late night television, the commercial was narrated by Wendy Malick and showed photographs of abused domesticated animals, some of the images culled from investigative footage. It was also featured in the television series Alias some years earlier.

"Kind & Generous", "The Living", "Break Your Heart" and "Life is Sweet" appeared on Merchant's best-of collection, Retrospective: 1995–2005.

Track listing...
"Ophelia" – 5:10
"Life is Sweet" – 5:12
"Kind & Generous" – 4:07
"Frozen Charlotte" (with Karen Peris of The Innocence Mission) – 5:23
"My Skin" – 5:30
"Break Your Heart" (with N'Dea Davenport) – 4:47
"King of May" – 4:09
"Thick as Thieves" – 6:57
"Effigy" – 2:30
"The Living" – 3:18
"When They Ring the Golden Bells (with Karen Peris of The Innocence Mission) / Ophelia (Reprise)" (string arrangement by Gavin Bryars) – 9:33

I just did a "Dennie" thing! :happy-smileygiantred:

I luv every song on this CD! :music-listening:

Babs said:
Natalie_Merchant_-_Ophelia.jpg

Ophelia is the title of a 1998 album, film, and song by Natalie Merchant. As evidenced in the pictures in the booklet that comes with the album, Merchant seems to see Shakespeare's Ophelia as a figure encompassing many important feminine archetypes.[attribution needed] The album and film explore several of these.

"Kind & Generous" was the most successful single of the album, reaching the Top 10 in the U.S. whilst Merchant was on tour with Lilith Fair. "Break Your Heart" also received single and video treatment. These and the other videos from the album, plus three from Tigerlily, were gathered on a Warner Music Vision home video, also entitled Ophelia. "I love the opportunity to flex my thespian muscle," Merchant quips on it.[5]

The song "King of May" is a tribute to poet Allen Ginsberg.[citation needed]

In 2009, a line from My Skin is accompanied by haunting images of animal abuse served as the basis for an ASPCA commercial. Shown mostly on late night television, the commercial was narrated by Wendy Malick and showed photographs of abused domesticated animals, some of the images culled from investigative footage. It was also featured in the television series Alias some years earlier.

"Kind & Generous", "The Living", "Break Your Heart" and "Life is Sweet" appeared on Merchant's best-of collection, Retrospective: 1995–2005.

Track listing...
"Ophelia" – 5:10
"Life is Sweet" – 5:12
"Kind & Generous" – 4:07
"Frozen Charlotte" (with Karen Peris of The Innocence Mission) – 5:23
"My Skin" – 5:30
"Break Your Heart" (with N'Dea Davenport) – 4:47
"King of May" – 4:09
"Thick as Thieves" – 6:57
"Effigy" – 2:30
"The Living" – 3:18
"When They Ring the Golden Bells (with Karen Peris of The Innocence Mission) / Ophelia (Reprise)" (string arrangement by Gavin Bryars) – 9:33

I just did a "Dennie" thing! :happy-smileygiantred:

I luv every song on this CD! :music-listening:

I recognized the "Dennie" thing immediately! Beautiful! :text-bravo:

(as a tear runs down Dennie's proud face)

Dennie :eusa-clap:

PS I have and love that album also. Heck, I think I've enjoyed just about everything she has done! :handgestures-thumbup:

41Y0EQ8G25L.jpg

Me and The Blues -- CD

Joe Williams

1963/1999 RCA VIctor-BMG

The sophisticated blues is what you get when you put on Williams' ME AND THE BLUES. His rich and smooth baritone just makes you feel good all over. The exquisite arrangements (by Jimmy Jones and Oliver Nelson) feature such jazz greats as Clark Terry, Phil Woods, and Kenny Burrell. This is masterful and magical interpretation of song.BLUES was originally released in 1963-two years after Williams left the Count Basie Band to embark on a solo career. Williams explores the blues from a jazz perspective. Duke Ellington's heartbreakingly ironic "Rocks in My Bed," featuring a lyrical guest-solo appearance by Ben Webster on tenor sax, is a BLUES high point. "Misery loves company, why don't you join me?" sings Williams on "Come on Blues." Pick up a copy of BLUES, settle in, and do just that.

Track Listing
1. I'm Sticking with You, Baby
2. Me and the Blues
3. Every Night
4. Rocks in My Bed
5. Come on Blues
6. Work Song
7. Soothe Me
8. Early in the Morning
9. Good Morning Heartache
10. Kansas City
11. Woman, A
12. Hobo Flats
13. Nice Work If You Can Get It - (previously unreleased)
14. After All I've Been to You - (previously unreleased)
15. April in Paris - (previously unreleased)

Personnel: Joe Williams (vocals); Phil Woods, Ben Webster, Danny Banks, Jerome Richardson, Seldon Powell (saxophone); Thad Jones (trumpet, cornet); Clark Terry (trumpet); Urbie Green, Jimmy Cleveland (trombone); Hank Jones, Junior Mance, Bernie Leighton (piano); Kenny Burrell, Barry Galbraith (guitar); Milt Hinton, Bob Cranshaw (bass); Osie Johnson, Sol Gubin (drums).
Producer: George Avakian.
Reissue producer: Harold Hagopian.
Recorded at Webster Hall, New York, New York in 1963. Originally released on RCA (2879). Includes liner notes by Calvin Wilson and George Avakian.

1294483945_lily-allen-its-not-me-its-you.jpg

Thank you Batman! I am an official 'Lily' lover!

Zing & I were talking about how Lily Allen is the Samantha Fox of 2014.

Back