• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

:bow-blue: Bruce is just amazing!!!!!

411xWOy07sL.jpg

Today's work truck music....

41S053qccdL._SS500_.jpg

Get Rhythm - CD

Ry Cooder

1990 Warner Bros. Records

"The Musician's Musician." "The Master of the Eclectic." There are probably a dozen more titles by which this "guitar player" is known. To even refer to him as a guitar player is probably a gross mislabeling of this musician. He defies any sort of categorization; this is his greatest strength and for some his weakness. The theme for these nine cuts is rhythm of all different ilk. I won't even give the parameters because he seems to have none. I wondered how many different instruments he played on this album (I thought I counted five different types of guitar); it only says guitar and vocal for his credits. Listen to his version of "All Shook Up," more bop and rhythm than Elvis could put into four of his songs. It seems musicians line up to play with him, and they feel he did them a favor by letting them play on his albums. He always gives them plenty of space to do what they do. This CD will make the dead start tapping their toes. ~ Bob Gottlieb

1. "Get Rhythm" (Johnny Cash)
2. "Low Commotion" (Ry Cooder, Jim Keltner)
3. "Going Back to Okinawa" (Ry Cooder)
4. "Thirteen Question Method" (Chuck Berry)
5. "Women Will Rule the World" (Raymond Quevedo)
6. "All Shook Up" (Elvis Presley, Otis Blackwell)
7. "I Can Tell by the Way You Smell" (Walter Davis)
8. "Across the Borderline" (Ry Cooder, Jim Dickinson, John Hiatt)
9. "Let's Have a Ball" (Alden Bunn)

Ummmm....awesome!!!!!!!

151987.jpg

Audio choices are PCM, DTS HD-Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD - all of which are 2.0 24/96 - but the Dolby TrueHD is noticeably better.

Happy Saturday everyone....

51-go9tZIwL.jpg

Two Men With The Blues -- CD

Willie Nelson / Wynton Marsalis

2008 Blue Note Records

Historic: American Masters at Play July 9, 2008
By Dr. Debra Jan Bibel TOP 500 REVIEWER
Format:Audio CD|Amazon Verified Purchase

Everyone knew that this summit of master musicians would be special. The session was recently broadcast on National Public Radio's Jazz at Lincoln Center, and as we already have an Amazon video excerpt of the event, we can expect to see the entire meeting on PBS, with DVD as pledge gift. The CD, however, has had the opportunity for further electronic mixing and improvements by Delfeayo Marsalis and Jeff Jones. So what can we say about the quality of the music and the personalities? How many superlatives are there? But you first must be a Willie Nelson fan and you must be a jazz enthusiast who honors Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Jazz folk for their precision and urban sophisticated development of New Orleans roots. Thus if you are among that very large number of music lovers, you must own this recording. Even the insert notes and photos are nicely done. As for the selections, we have Nelson's own oft recorded theme song, Georgia on My Mind, and we also have Stardust, which was included in the album of the same title that demonstrated that Nelson was more than a country singer; indeed that album is his all-time best seller. I, however, enjoyed Rainy Day Blues and the other tunes that follow, which are what the album is supposed to be about: the blues. This album is simply fun. You will love it.

"Bright Lights Big City" – 5:20
"Night Life" – 5:44
"Caldonia" – 3:25
"Stardust" – 5:08
"Basin Street Blues" – 4:56
"Georgia On My Mind" – 4:40
"Rainy Day Blues" – 5:43
"My Bucket's Got a Hole In It" (Williams) – 4:56
"Ain't Nobody's Business" – 7:27
"That's All" (Merle Travis) – 6:08

Happy Sunday everyone....

71Ctmh2EwEL_zps85f2e8c0.jpg

Ballads -- CD

Ben Webster

2011 Phoenix Records (Import)

In the 1950s, tenor-saxophonist Ben Webster was at the peak of his powers. His musical personality really featured two separate emotions: harsh and tough on the faster pieces and surprisingly warm and tender on the ballads. Webster uses the latter voice throughout this two-LP set. On all but four of 20 selections, Ben is backed by a string section arranged by Ralph Burns (except for "Chelsea Bridge" which was arranged by Billy Strayhorn) and, although clarinetists Tony Scott and Jimmy Hamilton and pianists Teddy Wilson and Hank Jones are heard from, the focus is otherwise entirely on the great tenor. The final four numbers, which matches Webster with Wilson in a stringless quartet, also stick to ballads. Music that is both beautiful and creative. ~ Scott Yanow

1. Chelsea Bridge
2. Love Is Here to Stay
3. It Happens to Be Me
4. All Too Soon
5. Willow Weep for Me
6. Come Rain or Come Shine
7. Prelude to a Kiss
8. Do Nothin' till You Hear from Me
9. My Greatest Mistake
10. There Is No Greater Love
11. Blue Moon
12. What Am I Here For?
13. We'll Be Together Again
14. Early Autumn
15. Until Tonight
16. Teach Me Tonight
17. My Funny Valentine
18. Sophisticated Lady
19. Almost Like Being in Love

Ben Webster - Tenor sax, with:

Tracks 1-4
Tony Scott - Clarinet
Mac Ceppos, David Novales, Mischa Russell - Violins
Richard Dickler - Viola
Rudy Sims - Cello
Billy Strayhorn - Piano, arranger, conductor
George Duvivier - Bass
Louie Bellson- Drums

Tracks 5-8
Jimmy Hamilton - Clarinet
Danny Bank - Clarinet, flute, bass clarinet
Sol Deutsch, Leo Kruczek, Julius Schachter, Jack Zayde - Violins
Burt Fisch - Viola
Bernard Greenhouse - Cello
Teddy Wilson - Piano
Wendell Marshall - Bass
Louie Bellson - Drums
Ralph Burns - Conductor, arranger

Tracks 9-16
Danny Bank - Flute, clarinet
Al Epstein - Clarinet, English horn, bass clarinet
Harold Coletta, Martin Donegan, Leo Kruczek, Harry Lookofsky, Gene Orloff, Tosha Samaroff, Paul Winter - Violins
Burt Fisch - Viola
Abe Borodkin, George Ricci, Lucien Schmit - Cellos
Hank Jones - Piano
Chet Amsterdam, Wendell Marshall - Bass
Osie Johnson - Drums
Ralph Burns - Arranger, conductor

Tracks 17-18
Teddy Wilson - Piano
Ray Brown - Bass
Jo Jones - Drums

Track 19
Billy Strayhorn - Piano, arranger, conductor
George Duvivier - Bass
Louie Bellson- Drums

MI0000726792_zps2a7080c6.jpg

You Taught My Heart to Sing -- CD

Houston Person with Bill Charlap

2006 Highnote Records

Tenor saxophonist Houston Person teams up with pianist Bill Charlap on this ten-track collection of standards, You Taught My Heart to Sing. Both musicians have released individual albums paying homage to the great songwriters of the '30s and '40s -- George Gershwin, Hoagy Carmichael, Irving Berlin -- but this is the first time they teamed up in the studio together. Along with such tried and true chestnuts as "S'Wonderful," "Sweet Lorraine," and "Namely You," the duo brings a few originals into the musical fold as well as contemporary romantic standards such as "Where Is the Love." Recorded in the cozy confines of Rudy Van Gelder's studio in Englewood, NJ, the mood is relaxed yet not moribund, nor does the duo succumb to adding weepy strings or sappy horn arrangements. Person and Charlap don't break any new ground with this recording; rather they continue to showcase their combined enduring passion for ballads. ~ Al Campbell

Track Listing
1. You Taught My Heart to Sing
2. Namely You
3. Where Are You
4. Sweet Lorraine
5. If I Ruled the World
6. 'S Wonderful
7. Where Is the Love
8. I Was Telling Her About You
9. Don't Forget the Blues
10. I Wonder Where Our Love Has Gone

Personnel: Houston Person (tenor saxophone); Houston Person; Bill Charlap (piano).Audio Mixer: Rudy Van Gelder.Liner Note Author: Ray Osnato.Recording information: Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (08/04/2004).

5109RQNKMBL_zps58c98502.jpg

Pickin' On George Strait

2000 CMH Records

Pickin' on George Strait features instrumental versions of some of the new-traditionalist country superstar's best-known hits; consumers should be aware that these are not the original versions, and that Strait himself is not involved in this project. Having said that, these versions aren't bad if you don't mind that they tend to stick close to the melodies, not offering much in the way of solo fireworks. ~ Steve Huey

Track Listing
1. All My Ex's Live in Texas
2. Adalida
3. Check Yes or No
4. Am I Blue
5. Marina del Rey
6. The Chair
7. Ace in the Hole
8. Amen Love Without End
9. I Just Want to Dance With You
10. One Night at a Time
11. Right or Wrong
12. The Fireman

Personnel: Hoot Hester (guitar, fiddle); Bryan Sutton, Andy Reiss, Mark Thornton (guitar); Robby Turner, Johnny Cox (steel guitar); Rob Ikes (dobro); Aubrey Haynie (fiddle, mandolin); Bryan Sutton (mandolin); Paul Kramer (electric mandolin); Jeff Taylor (accordion); Dennis Wage (piano); Dennis Crouch, Kevin Grantt (bass); Kenny Malone (drums, percussion).Recorded at The Ol' Bunkhouse, Nashville, Tennessee.Personnel: Bryan Sutton (guitar, mandolin); Hoot Hester (guitar, fiddle); Andy Reiss, Mark Thornton (guitar); Johnny Cox, Robby Turner (steel guitar); Rob Ickes (dobro); Aubrey Haynie (mandolin, fiddle); Paul Kramer (mandolin); Jeff Taylor (accordion); Dennis Wage (piano); Kenny Malone (snare drum, percussion).Audio Mixer: Thomas Johnson.Recording information: Ol' Bunkhouse

6efa71a88da0a6f661f7d110.L.jpg

Midnight Sun -- CD

Herb Alpert

1992 A&M Records

"Midnight Sun" . . . I Love This CD!, November 29, 2005
By Rebecca*rhapsodyinblue* (CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Midnight Sun (Audio CD)

"This album is dedicated to my Forever "Friend" Stan Getz." ~ Herb Alpert ~

In the early seventies, Herb Alpert made his first hit single "This Guy's In Love With You." This is also the very first number one hit song by the talented songwriting team of Burt Bacharach and Hal David. And yes, this is also one of the songs my high school classmates from an exclusive school for girls and I were crazy about back then.

My late father owned a good number of Herb Alpert's LP records from his vast collection, so the trumpet player's music is not new to me when I started my very own collection. A dear friend of mine knowing how much I appreciate exquisite trumpet playing unselfishly gave this delightful CD to me as a just-because-gift and we both loved this collection of beautiful tunes and its arrangements and flawless interpretations. I call it to-die-for music and I can't stop listening to it. It's one of my Desert-Island-CDs. The kind of music you want to hear for all seasons and will never tire listening to it. Many thanks to the very talented Herb Alpert, the brilliant arranger/conductor/pianist Eddie del Barrio, the legendary sax player Stan Getz and the rest of the finest musicians in the jazz scene for making this recording stunningly pleasing to the ears, Monty Budwig (bass), John Pisano, Barry Zweig and Larry Carlton (guitar), Jeff Hamilton and Harvey Mason (drums) and Frank Collett (piano).

This CD, which was released in 1992 opens up with the hauntingly beautiful and my very favorite "Midnight Sun," a tune composed by Lionel Hampton and Sonny Burke in 1947. One of the greatest and my all-time favorite songwriters who has written lyrics to more than a thousand melodies, Johnny Mercer, penned the wonderful lyrics seven years later in 1954. There's a delightful anecdote behind Mr. Mercer's discovery of this song. He was driving along the coast one night and heard this tune being played on the radio and was enchanted by its charming melody. He then called the radio station and asked the DJ about the artist (Lionel Hampton) and the title of the tune. The rest is history.

Two of my spotlighted tracks showcase not only Mr. Alpert's expertise in trumpet but also his soft and mellow vocals, Gershwins' "Someone To Watch Over Me," and Lerner & Lowe's "I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face."

"Friends" featuring his "forever friend" Stan Getz is one of the very highlights and he co-wrote this tune with Eddie del Barrio. The tuneful "In The Wee Small Hours" is poignantly affecting as well as Charles Chaplin/John Terner/Geoffrey Parson's classic "Smile." The beauty of "All The Things You Are," "Mona Lisa," "A Taste Of Honey" and "Silent Tears And Roses" will leave any listener mesmerized.

These are the nice stuff that made this recording a special treat not only to all Herb Alpert fans but also to any music lover who appreciates charming instrumental music.

1. Herb Alpert's exquisitely beautiful trumpet playing.
2. A repertoire of impressive standards penned and composed by the most brilliant songwriters of all-time, Gershwins, Mercer, Hampton & Burke, Hammerstein & Kern, Hilliard & Mann, Lerner & Loewe, Livingston & Evans, Scott & Marlow, Chaplin, Terner & Parson, and Alpert & del Barrio.
3. A bevy of the finest back-up musicians, an outstanding arranger/conductor and a pianist, Eddie del Barrio and not to mention his special guest, Stan Getz.

Who could resist listening to this CD? Get it and enjoy it. This would be a great addition to your collection of the finest music ever recorded. You'll have a lifetime of listening enjoyment. It deserves not five but ten stars.

Very highly recommended!

Midnight Sun (Lionel Hampton, Sonny Burke, Johnny Mercer) 6:05
All The Things You Are (Oscar Hammerstein II, Jerome Kern) 3:53
Someone To Watch Over Me (George & Ira Gershwin) 5:16
In The Wee Small Hours (Bob Hilliard, David Mann) 5:53
Friends (Eddie Del Barrio, Herb Alpert) 4:21
A Taste Of Honey (Bobby Scott, Rick Marlow) 6:52
Mona Lisa (Jay Livingston, Ray Evans) 5:46
I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face (Alan Jay Lerner, Frederick Loewe) 5:07
Silent Tears And Roses (Eddie Del Barrio) 3:50
Smile (Charlie Chaplin, John Terner, Geoffrey Parsons) 4:13

1213252841_1.jpg

Portrait of the Blues -- CD

Bobby "Blue" Bland

1991 Malaco Records

This 1991 release, along with YEARS OF TEARS from 1993, amply demonstrate the enduring power of Bobby Bland, a most singular blues singer. Justly hailed for his '50s records on the Duke label, Bland remained a powerful presence over the ensuing decades. As with all of his recordings for the Jackson, Mississippi-based Malaco label, the bulk of the songs were penned by Malaco's in-house writers. One of the set's only numbers from an outside source is the opening "Ain't No Love For Sale" by John Barranco.

With his characteristic snorts and growls, it's clear from the outset that Bobby "Blue" Bland is in command. PORTRAIT is his usual mix of bluesy shuffles, ballads, and soulful stomps. And any album that's got a song called "She's Puttin' Something In My Food" has got a leg up on the competition. Produced by Wolf Stephenson and Tommy Couch, PORTRAIT features a regal stable of players, including the durable Muscle Shoals rhythm section of drummer Roger Hawkins and bass player David Hood.

Track listing

1. Ain't No Love for Sale
2. Hurtin' Love
3. These Are the Things That a Woman Needs
4. I Can Take You to Heaven Tonight
5. Last One to Know, The
6. Just Take My Love
7. I Just Won't Be Your Fool Anymore
8. She's Puttin' Something in My Food
9. When Hearts Grow Cold
10. Let Love Have Its Way

795041731623_zps56612eb8.jpg

More of the most relaxing Jazz music in the universe -- 2 CD Set

Various Artists

2003 Denon Music

Excellant but for a slight airy sound??? March 1, 2006
By Shmama
Format:Audio CD|Verified Purchase

I have listened to both discs repeatedly since arriving last week & absolutely adore them! Right from the first time I listened, however, I noticed an airy sound over some of the songs, but nothing I couldn't lose notice of while enjoying the great selection of songs. The sound may be due to remastering some older recordings, but I don't really know. I thoroughly enjoy the album enough to forgive the slightly breathy background & it is only in a few of the many songs (it may very well be less noticeable if you are not using extra bass settings & sennheiser headphones as I do). If you are a smooth jazz fan or are open minded about different styles of instrumental relaxation cds, I highly recommend this double disc cd! A couple hours of escape from daily stress or a perfect evening calmer in my opinion.

Disc 1

1 Bronwyn - Russell Gunn (2:26)
2 Moments - Eliane Elias (5:54)
3 Listen to the Dawn - Kenny Burrell (5:39)
4 That's All - Houston Person/Kenny Burrell (6:27)
5 All My Life - Marian McPartland (3:04)
6 Someone to Watch Over Me - Donald Byrd (7:39)
7 The Second Time Around - Red Garland (3:13)
8 These Foolish Things - Art Pepper (2:41)
9 Summertime - Duke Jordan (4:23)
10 Medley: Old Folks/Out of Nowhere - Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis (8:23)
11 Willow Weep for Me - Cannonball Adderley (6:22)
12 Dreamsville - Pat Martino (5:01)
13 My Old Flame - Darrell Grant (6:11)

Disc 2

1 I Can't Escape from You - Dexter Gordon (3:18)
2 Laura - Erroll Garner (2:44)
3 Love Me, Pretty Baby - The Modern Jazz Quartet (3:38)
4 It Could Happen to You - Kenny Burrell (5:46)
5 It Might as Well Be Spring - Woody Shaw (10:05)
6 Angel Eyes - Sonny Stitt (5:06)
7 I Thought About You - Houston Person (6:01)
8 You Leave Me Breathless - Milt Jackson (6:31)
9 My Romance - Sadao Watanabe (3:54)
10 Blue Velvet - Willis "Gator" Jackson (7:41)
11 Blues in My Heart - Sonny Criss (5:59)
12 Always and Forever - Eric Alexander (6:12)

414a%2BLmWFQL.jpg

Telling Stories -- CD

Tracy Chapman

2000 Elektra Records

Amazon.com

With Telling Stories, her first album since 1995's New Beginnings, Tracy Chapman returns to the spare, unsentimental feel of her early work. In doing so, she recaptures some of the urgency and simple melodiousness that made her debut a soulful folk-rock classic. There's maturity here, exemplified by recurring spiritual metaphors. On "Unsung Psalm" she imagines her funeral, singing, "I'd have a halo and flowing white robes / If I live right." "Wedding Song" offers the plainspoken, devotional line, "I reach out for your hand / For you I'd don a veil." The musical arrangements, too, are pared-down, with ghostly banjo, silvery fiddle, and guitar woven into subtle drum loops. Though not as immediately captivating as her debut, Telling Stories is a focused return to form for Chapman. --Lucy O'Brien

All lyrics and music written by Tracy Chapman

"Telling Stories" – 3:58
"Less Than Strangers" – 3:20
"Speak the Word" – 4:30
"It's Okay" – 4:00
"Wedding Song" – 4:36
"Unsung Psalm" – 4:20
"Nothing Yet" – 4:04
"Paper and Ink" – 4:52
"Devotion" – 2:48
"The Only One" – 3:08
"First Try" – 3:33

dbscover.jpg

Well. Here's another band that has been around for a decade or so, but flew completely under my radar. I caught the tail-end of a concert on Palladia; at first the lead guitarist was blowing me away, then I noticed the good vox, then the songwriting, then... Kinda prog-pop.

I will be digesting this album over the next few days, then see if I need to collect more (right now, I'm thinking, yeah!)

:music-rockout:

61KqKBU8uoL.jpg

Neck and Neck -- CD

Chet Atkins - Mark Knopfler

1990 Columbia Records

Who Needs Picks?, October 13, 2004
By Robert I. Hedges - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Neck & Neck (Audio CD)

This album from these two masters of guitar fingerpicking will leave anyone who loves the guitar, country, blues, or melodic rock delighted. I have been a Mark Knopfler fan since early Dire Straits, and learned about Chet Atkins from Mark. Anybody Mark thinks is great is definitely worth a listen. I became a Chet Atkins fan a bit late in life, and this album was a big part of that.

This CD shines precisely because it is not flashy or showy; rather it is imbued with craftsmanship and quality musicianship in every bar. The whole album is strong, but I am especially fond of "There'll Be Some Changes Made" in which Chet and Mark trade good humored jabs about their musical heritage, "I'll See You in My Dreams", a mastercrafted classic, and the laid back "Tahitian Skies." Throughout the CD the vocals are relaxed and effortless, and although Knopfler has an appealing if somewhat gravelly voice, Atkins is a little more atonal and wavering in his singing style. Of course the focus here is not vocal performances, but guitar virtuosity, and that is abundant.

This is a CD that will be appreciated by all guitarists who grasp how truly difficult it is to produce a recording this melodious and synchronized, regardless of how easy these two masters make it look. "Neck & Neck" is highly recommended.

"Poor Boy Blues" (Paul Kennerley) – 4:03
"Sweet Dreams" (Don Gibson) – 3:25
"There'll Be Some Changes Made" (Billy Higgins, Benton Overstreet) – 6:28
Parody lyrics by Margaret Archer, Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler
"Just One Time" (Gibson) – 4:12
"So Soft, Your Goodbye" (Randy Goodrum) – 3:18
"Yakety Axe" (Boots Randolph, James Rich) – 3:24
Lyrics by Merle Travis
"Tears" (Stéphane Grappelli, Django Reinhardt) – 3:54
"Tahitian Skies" (Ray Flacke) – 3:18
"I'll See You in My Dreams" (Isham Jones, Gus Kahn) – 2:58
"The Next Time I'm in Town" (Mark Knopfler) – 3:22

Chet Atkins – guitar, vocals
Mark Knopfler – guitar, vocals
Floyd Cramer – piano
Guy Fletcher – bass, drums, keyboards
Paul Franklin – dobro, steel guitar, pedabro
Vince Gill – vocals
Larrie Londin – drums
Mark O'Connor – fiddle, mandolin
Edgar Meyer – bass
Steve Wariner – guitar

4195XA2WSAL_zpse7d50fbb.jpg

Cinema: A Romantic Vision -- CD

Dori Caymmi

1999 Zebra Records

Dori Caymmi is a veteran guitarist, singer, composer and arranger who has successfully married the popular musical forms of his native Brazil with American jazz. On Cinema: A Romantic Vision, Caymmi offers gentle interpretations of familiar tunes associated with the movies.

With 10 recognizable melodies done up in Caymmi's soulful Brazilian style, Cinema is a soothing listen. The artist's distinctive chordal approach on acoustic guitar is prominently featured, and his arrangements are lush and impressionistic. Select songs also feature strings, horns, backing vocals, and Caymmi's wordless singing. Musicians include Don Grusin and Billy Childs on keyboards, Tom Scott and Gary Meek on saxophones, Abraham Laboriel on bass, Michael Schapiro on drums, and Paulhino Da Costa on percussion.

A popular performer and film composer in his native Brazil, Caymmi carries on in the venerable tradition of his father and another major influence, Antonio Carlos Jobim. Covers of songs such as "Pink Panther," "My Favorite Things," and "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" are easy-going but elegant.

Flavored with lilting samba and bossa beats, subtle dashes of pop-jazz, and intricate instrumentation, Cinema rouses that sublime wistfulness the Brazilians call saudade.

Record Label: Zebra Records

1. The Pink Panther: Pink Panther
2. The Sound Of Music: My Favorite Things
3. James Bond: James Bond (Main Theme)
4. Cinema Paradiso: Cinema Paradiso
5. West Side Story: Something's Coming
6. Space Jam: I Believe I Can Fly
7. Black Orpheus: Manha De Carnaval
8. Tootsie: It Might Be You
9. The Sandpiper: The Shadow Of Your Smile
10. Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid: Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head
11. Space Jam: I Believe I Can Fly (w/Vocal)

Personnel includes: Dori Caymmi (vocals, acoustic guitar); Carmen Bradford, Arnold McCuller (vocals); Gary Meek (soprano & alto saxophones, clarinet, bass clarinet); Scott Mayo (soprano saxophone, background vocals); Billy Childs (piano); Don Grusin (keyboards); Tim Weston (electric guitar); Abraham Laboriel (bass); Michael Shapiro (drums); Paulinho Da Costa (percussion); Tom Scott.Recorded at Entourage Studio, North Hollywood, California; Ocean Way Studios, Hollywood, California."Pink Panther" was nominated for the 2000 Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement

51Nr9j1EZPL.jpg

The Imagine Project -- Special Edition CD

Herbie Hancock

2010 Hancock Records

Herbie Hancock's star-studded The Imagine Project was several years in the making, recorded in seven countries with musicians from all over the globe. Hancock's band with producer/bassist Larry Klein, drummer Vinnie Colaiuta, percussionist Alex Acu€a, and guitarist Lionel Loueke is a common denominator. Most selections are interpretations of well-known pop, folk, and soul songs. The best things here are indeed fine. There's a gorgeous reading of Baden Powell's "Tempo de Amore" thanks to Lucas Martins' bassline and C‚U's singing. "Space Captain" by the Derek Trucks-Susan Tedeschi Band --with Hancock and Colaiuta -- brings out a much-needed soulful grit to Tedeschi's vocals, gospelized four-party harmony, and tough slide playing by Trucks. Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are a Changin'," with Lisa Hannigan's raw, emotive vocals, is underscored by interplay between the Chieftains and Toumani Diabat‚'s kora and Hancock's piano. The tune actually moves past its American folk revival beginnings to reflect a worldwide sentiment. "Tamatant Tilay"/"Exodus" pairs the nomad Malian guitar band Tinariwen's song with Bob Marley's classic. Hancock's trio, K'NAAN, Tinariwen, and three members of Los Lobos are all featured on vocals. Tinariwen dominates with Hancock's funky clavinet pushing against their snaky wall of guitars and ululating singing; it's the hippest track here. Klein's "The Song Goes On" features Anoushka Shankar, Wayne Shorter, Chaka Khan, and K.S. Chithra with some lyrics translated into Hindi for the Indian vocalists. A full-on Indian session band interacts with Shorter's knotty soprano sax, and the only truly engaged Hancock piano playing on the set. ~ Thom Jurek

Track listing:

1. Imagine (feat. P!nk, Seal, India.Arie, Jeff Beck, Konono #1 & Omou Sangare)

2. Don't Give Up (feat. P!nk & John Legend)

3. Tempo De Amor (feat. Céu)

4. Space Captain (feat. Susan Tedeschi And Derek Trucks)

5. The Times They Are a Changin' (feat. The Chieftains, Toumani Diabete, Lisa Hannigan)

6. La Tierra (feat. Juanes)

7. Tamatant Tillay/Exodus (feat. Tinariwen, K'Naan, Los Lobos)

8. Tomorrow Never Knows (feat. Dave Matthews)

9. A Change Is Gonna Come (feat. James Morrison)

10. The Song Goes On (feat. K.S. Chithra, Chaka Khan, Anoushka Shankar And Wayne Shorter)

Bonus tracks

11. Maiden Voyage (live/previously unreleased)

12. Rockit (live/previously unreleased)

71chzL4UWzL_zps38485316.jpg

In My Soul -- CD

The Robert Cray Band

2014 Mascot Music

Here's to the next 40 years... April 1, 2014
By G. E. Harrison
Format:Audio CD

This album marks 40 years in the business for Robert Cray (and long-term bass player/song writer Richard Cousins) and highlights Robert's soul/R&B side with covers of songs by Otis Redding, Lou Rawls and Bobby `Blue' Bland. This is good news for me because I've always favoured Robert's soul output rather than his straight blues. As well as Cousins the band features returning keyboard player Dover Weinberg as well as drummer Les Falconer, who joins Robert on vocals for the fabulous version of Redding's "Nobody's Fault but Mine" - with its great brass lines. Robert does a really good laid-back reading of Rawls' "Your Good Thing (Is About to End)" and "Deep in My Soul" is transformed from Bland's impassioned southern soul blues to Robert's own style of smooth late night soul blues.

Elsewhere his own songs are very much on a par with these soul classics, opener "You move me" is probably the album's most bluesy song, with really nice stinging guitar and the instrumental "Hip tight onions" is pure Booker T and the MGs. There are also some really nice trademark Cray super-smooth soul ballads - with two of my favourites "What Would You Say" and "Pillow" starting off with strange almost psychedelic guitar effects before turning into typical Cray melodic heart-felt ballads. Looking forward to seeing Robert in early May in Birmingham during his UK tour.

You move me
Nobody's fault but mine
Fine yesterday
Your good thing is about to end
guess i'll never know
Hold on
What would you say
Hip tight onions
You're everything
Deep in my soul
Pillow (bonus track)

Robert Cray: Vocals and Guitar, Richard Cousins: Bass, Les Falconer: Drums, Dover Weinberg: Keyboards

Today's work truck music...

61CAJYYEFRL._SS500_.jpg

Shangri-La -- CD/DVD

Mark Knopfler

2004 Reprise Records

Amazon.com

Mark Knopfler isn't afraid to drop names. The heavyweight Cassius Clay laid low, the man who made burgers and fries into big business, the kings of rock & roll and skiffle are among the motley assortment who pass through Knopfler's fourth solo album. Recorded in Malibu with a tight crew of steadfast Knopfler sidemen, Shangri-La (the title comes from the studio where the entire set was recorded) chronicles the foibles of the acclaimed and the adrift, all delivered with the nonchalant grace that has marked Knopfler's music since Dire Straits emerged in the late '70s. Seven of album's 14 originals clock in at between five and seven minutes. That's Knopfler in a nutshell--don't rush things, but don't loose the thread, either. As a songwriter, Knopfler has a storyteller's eye for minutiae, which he delivers with practiced nuance. He overreaches here and there ("Song for Sonny Liston" fails to capture the pathos of the menacing fighter), but also pulls off a few career highlights (the understated crime-drama opener "5.15 a.m."). --Steve Stolder

All songs written by Mark Knopfler.

"5.15 A.M." – 5:54
"Boom, Like That" – 5:49
"Sucker Row" – 4:56
"The Trawlerman's Song" – 5:02
"Back to Tupelo" – 4:31
"Our Shangri-La" – 5:41
"Everybody Pays" – 5:24
"Song for Sonny Liston" – 5:06
"Whoop De Doo" – 3:53
"Postcards from Paraguay" – 4:07
"All That Matters" – 3:08
"Stand Up Guy" – 4:32
"Donegan's Gone" – 3:05
"Don't Crash the Ambulance" – 5:06

Botch said:
dbscover.jpg

Well. Here's another band that has been around for a decade or so, but flew completely under my radar. I caught the tail-end of a concert on Palladia; at first the lead guitarist was blowing me away, then I noticed the good vox, then the songwriting, then... Kinda prog-pop.

I will be digesting this album over the next few days, then see if I need to collect more (right now, I'm thinking, yeah!)

:music-rockout:

Hey Botch,

I stumbled upon them a year or so ago on Palladia also and just flipped over them...............I haven't purchased anything from them, let me know how this one is?

TX,

KH

Back