• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Dennie said:
Today's work truck music...

61CAJYYEFRL._SS500_.jpg

Shangri-La -- CD/DVD

Mark Knopfler

2004 Reprise Records

Amazon.com

Mark Knopfler isn't afraid to drop names. The heavyweight Cassius Clay laid low, the man who made burgers and fries into big business, the kings of rock & roll and skiffle are among the motley assortment who pass through Knopfler's fourth solo album. Recorded in Malibu with a tight crew of steadfast Knopfler sidemen, Shangri-La (the title comes from the studio where the entire set was recorded) chronicles the foibles of the acclaimed and the adrift, all delivered with the nonchalant grace that has marked Knopfler's music since Dire Straits emerged in the late '70s. Seven of album's 14 originals clock in at between five and seven minutes. That's Knopfler in a nutshell--don't rush things, but don't loose the thread, either. As a songwriter, Knopfler has a storyteller's eye for minutiae, which he delivers with practiced nuance. He overreaches here and there ("Song for Sonny Liston" fails to capture the pathos of the menacing fighter), but also pulls off a few career highlights (the understated crime-drama opener "5.15 a.m."). --Steve Stolder

All songs written by Mark Knopfler.

"5.15 A.M." – 5:54
"Boom, Like That" – 5:49
"Sucker Row" – 4:56
"The Trawlerman's Song" – 5:02
"Back to Tupelo" – 4:31
"Our Shangri-La" – 5:41
"Everybody Pays" – 5:24
"Song for Sonny Liston" – 5:06
"Whoop De Doo" – 3:53
"Postcards from Paraguay" – 4:07
"All That Matters" – 3:08
"Stand Up Guy" – 4:32
"Donegan's Gone" – 3:05
"Don't Crash the Ambulance" – 5:06
I've recently torrented quite a number of PCM 5.1 surround albums (ripped from DVD-Audio) and this one was one of them. Great surround mix and fabulous sound.

heeman said:
Botch said:
dbscover.jpg

Well. Here's another band that has been around for a decade or so, but flew completely under my radar. I caught the tail-end of a concert on Palladia; at first the lead guitarist was blowing me away, then I noticed the good vox, then the songwriting, then... Kinda prog-pop.

I will be digesting this album over the next few days, then see if I need to collect more (right now, I'm thinking, yeah!)

:music-rockout:

Hey Botch,

I stumbled upon them a year or so ago on Palladia also and just flipped over them...............I haven't purchased anything from them, let me know how this one is?

TX,

KH

Botch & Heeman, you may need to come & spend a day at work with Babs. The guys I work with are sooooo into Umphrey's. Also Phish, The Grateful Dead & Greg Allman. I have been listening to all of them for so long, I am :|.

We all have our musical spark though. I am a fan of Devon Allman & a few selected Dead songs.

898489.jpg

Montreux '77 -- CD

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis with Oscar Peterson, Ray Brown, Jimmie Smith

1977/1989 Pablo/Fantasy Records

Jaws with Oscar and Ray: Earth-shaking chemistry, March 31, 2007
By Samuel Chell (Kenosha,, WI United States)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Montreux 77 (Audio CD)

I'm not sure why Norman Granz released so many albums with the title Montreux '77, thereby encouraging listeners to lump them all together and simply ignore them. In any case, this one is certainly a stand-out: Oscar is in full stride and moreover reunited with Ray Brown. Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis, moreover, is arguably the Oscar Peterson of the tenor saxophone, simply a fearless, accomplished, inimitable, untouchable player, whose unique rhythmic drive makes him ideally suited to Oscar while his rougher-hewn tones make him a complementary contrast to the pianist's polished style.

It's a wonder Jaws doesn't betray more nervousness, performing all alone with Oscar's trio, especially since the pianist shows absolutely no mercy, counting off the opener at a tempo that would have most players looking for a handy exit. The ensuing numbers are no less busy. Even on the "down tempo" of "The Breeze and I" Oscar double-times his solo, almost threatening to bury the featured soloist in a shower of flying notes. But Jaws was never one to shirk from a challenge, which is exactly what he gets on this occasion. By the time the group gets to a blues, "Telegraph," he's in full control, making his message so loud and clear that it's Oscar who's breathing hard. Jaws goes on to top himself on 'Land of Dreams," using that patented altimissimo register of his as much to spearhead the rhythm section as to create melodic excitement. Now Oscar really has to go after him--which he does, ingeniously employing repeated quarter notes and rhythms in the manner of Lockjaw himself. Predictably, the program ends as it began--with another burner, "Blue Lou" (Is it possible to play any faster?). Jimmie Smith's drums are in there somewhere, but quite frankly the other three musicians are in such a zone that I wonder how any drummer's hi-hat could synch with the blurred off-beats.

Simply put, there's no group of players alive who, even if they put their minds to it, could produce music such as this in the present millennium.

1 - This Can't Be Love
2 - I Wished on the Moon
3 - The Breeze and I
4 - Angel Eyes
5 - Telegraph
6 - Land of Dreams
7 - Blue Lou

51twlCGOLSL.jpg

Listen Here! -- CD

The Gene Harris Quartet

1989 Concord Records

Although often associated with the blues, only one of the ten selections on this quartet set by pianist Gene Harris (who is joined by guitarist Ron Eschete, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer Jeff Hamilton) is technically a blues. On this excellent all-around showcase for the soulful pianist, Harris sounds in prime form exploring such tunes as "This Masquerade," "Don't Be That Way," Eddie Harris' "Listen Here," and "The Song Is Ended." Listen Here! gives listeners a pretty definitive look at Gene Harris' accessible and swinging style. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. This Masquerade
2. Don't Be That Way
3. I've Got a Feeling I'm Falling
4. Listen Here
5. This Can't Be Love
6. To You
7. Blues for Jezebel
8. Sweet and Lovely
9. Lullabye
10. The Song Is Ended

Gene Harris Quartet: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Ray Brown (bass); Jeff Hamilton (drums).Recorded at The Plant Recording Studios, Sausalito, California in March 1989.

Happy Sunday everyone....

41S7ajLvv6L._SS400_.jpg

In His hands -- CD

Gene Harris

1997 Concord Records

The Devil's Music and the Lord's, September 28, 2000
By Tim Smith "Tim Smith" (Bonney Lake, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In His Hands (Audio CD)

Is this a jazz or gospel CD? The answer is: yes. Nothing challenging here, just some praiseworthy good times. If you have been fortunate enough to attend church meetings with keyboardists like the late (and greatly-missed) Gene Harris or Jack McDuff, then you know what much of the shouting is about at those big revival meetings. I'm a big Gene Harris fan and he was in fine form here, swinging particularly hard on "Battle Hymn of the Republic", "This Little Light of Mine" and "Will the Circle Be Unbroken." It's obvious that Gene loved and was comfortable with this music and these songs. The two biggest surprises for me (both pleasant) were "Amazing Grace" and "(Jesus Keeps Me) Near the Cross". When I first heard "Amazing Grace", I was sure it was Ray Charles. Vocalist Curtis Stigers does a beautifully soulful job on this timeless classic while Gene plays some very bluesy piano. "(Jesus Keeps Me) Near the Cross" is a duet between McDuff and Harris that brought back memories of my childhood. I was taken back to the days when I would be home from school and my mother would listen to Gospel radio all morning while she did her chores. How I would have liked to have heard Gene play "The Old Rugged Cross"!

When I first listened to this CD, I was slightly disappointed and nearly gave it only three stars. After a few more listens I realized, however, that the disappointment was due to my preconceived notions of what I thought the CD would be like. Once I accepted it for what Gene wanted it to be and not what I thought it would be, I grew to like it. Now, I listen to it quite often.

If you are under the impression that Gospel music is boring or that jazz can't be done reverently, give this a listen and see if maybe your opinion doesn't change.

Track listing

1. Lean On Me
2. Battle Hymn Of The Republic
3. Will The Circle Be Unbroken
4. Everyhting Must Change
5. Amazing Grace
6. Lord I've Tried
7. Jesus Keep Me Near The Cross
8. This Little Light Of Mine
9. Operator
10. His Eye Is On The Sparrow
11. He's Got The Whole World In His Hands
12. Granpa's Hands

51CTWmRdtiL.jpg

Big Band Soul -- Remastered CD - (2-fer)

Gene Harris Superband

1989/1991-2001 Concord Records

The vast majority of Gene Harris' Concord albums of the '80s and '90s were small-group efforts, which is probably just as well because the acoustic pianist had more room to stretch out and improvise when he was leading a trio, quartet, or quintet. But Harris did have a chance to oversee a big band when he led the Philip Morris Superband in the late '80s and early '90s. In 2002, Concord reissued Harris' two albums with the Superband -- Live at Town Hall, N.Y.C. and World Tour 1990 -- as the double-CD Big Band Soul. While Live at Town Hall, N.Y.C. was recorded at a New York concert in 1989, World Tour 1990 was recorded in a Sydney, Australia, studio the following year. Despite the fact that one is a live album and the other is a studio date, the albums are quite similar. Both favor arrangements that are very mindful of Count Basie, and both are enjoyable even if they are rather staid and fall short of essential. Nonetheless, there are some noteworthy soloists on this two-CD set, including tenor man James Moody on "Old Man River," trumpeter Harry "Sweets" Edison on "When It's Sleepy Time Down South," and alto saxophonist Jerry Dodgion on Duke Ellington's "Warm Valley" (which finds the saxman paying tribute to longtime Ellington altoist Johnny Hodges). Vocalists, thankfully, are not excluded; Ernie Andrews has some pleasing spots on "Our Love Is Here to Stay" and "I'm Just a Lucky So and So," while Ernestine Anderson is featured on "There Is No Greater Love" and "You're My Everything." Big Band Soul isn't recommended to casual listeners, but serious collectors will want to hear this double-CD (assuming they haven't already purchased the two albums separately). ~ Alex Henderson

Track Listing
DISC 1: LIVE AT TOWN HALL, N.Y.C.:
1. Surrey With the Fringe on Top, The
2. Creme de Menthe
3. When It's Sleepy Time Down South
4. Love Is Here to Stay
5. I'm Just a Lucky So and So
6. Serious Grease
7. Like a Lover
8. Ol' Man River
9. Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans?
10. Porgy and Bess Medley: Strawberry Woman / I Loves You Porgy / It Ain't Necessarily So
11. You're My Everything
12. There Is No Greater Love
13. Things Ain't What They Used to Be

DISC 2: WORLD TOUR 1990:
1. Air Mail Special
2. Lonely Bottles
3. Child Is Born, A
4. Buhaina Buhaina
5. Don't Get Around Much Anymore
6. Lover
7. In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning
8. Tricotism
9. Centerpiece
10. Dear Blues
11. Nica's Dream
12. Girl Talk
13. Battle Royal
14. Warm Valley

517hwNvUwOL_zps9288e76b.jpg

Cocker -- CD

Joe Cocker

1986 Capitol Records (Import UK)

For Blues Lovers, this CD is a too-well kept secret October 1, 1998
By A Customer
Format:Audio CD
What's nice about this CD is that it lets you hear Cocker's style on songs besides the ones he is so well known for. You realize he has a lot more in him besides his top hits. You will love "Heart of the Matter" and "Inner City Blues", but you will go back and listen to "You Can Leave Your Hat On" over and over again. Many of my friends say that is his best work. I guess the producers of "The Full Monty" think so too! Thanks Joe!

"Shelter Me" (Nick DiStefano) – 5:36
"A to Z" (Tom Kimmel) – 4:21
"Don't You Love Me Anymore" (Albert Hammond, Diane Warren) – 5:25
"Living Without Your Love" (Michael Bolton, Doug James) – 4:09
"Don't Drink The Water" (Richard Feldman, Pat Robinson) – 3:25
"You Can Leave Your Hat On" (Randy Newman) – 4:14
"Heart of the Matter" (Ronald Miller, Billy Aerts) – 4:20
"Inner City Blues" (Marvin Gaye, James Jr. Nyx) – 5:51
"Love Is on a Fade" (Stephen Allen Davis, Dennis Morgan) – 4:04
"Heaven" (Terry Manning) – 4:32

Personnel: Joe Cocker (vocals); Neil Schon, Cliff Goodwin, Dann Huff, Eddie Martinez, Ritchie Zito (guitar); Mel Collins, Andrew Love (saxophone); Steve Madaio, Joel Peskin, Dick "Slide" Hyde (horns); Howie Hersh (piano, keyboards); Larry Marshall (organ, keyboards, synthesizer); Mike Moran (keyboards, bass); Jeff Lorber, Jeff Bova, Michael Boddicker (keyboards); Carl Marsh (Fairlight synthesizer); Arthur Barrow (synthesizer, bass); Bernard Edwards, Vito Sanfilippo, Randy Jackson (bass); Eric Parker, Michael Baird (drums); Curtis King, Maxine Green, Elisecia Wright, Julia Waters Tillman, Joe Turano, Leslie Smith, Albert Hammond, Diane Warren (background vocals).Producers include: Albert Hammond, Diane Warren, Ron Nevison, Bernard Edwards, Richie Zito.Engineers include: Terry Manning, Brian Reeves, Ron Nevison.

4a3581b0c8a03cdb74c0d110.L.jpg

Days of Future Passed -- Remastered CD

The Moody Blues with The London Festival Orchestra Conducted by Peter Knight

1967/1997 Deram/Decca Records

One of the best albums, January 27, 2008
By B. B. Bridenbaugh "KingNot" - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Days of Future Passed (Audio CD)

A musical album based around a day, and all its extrapolations. Youth to age, innocence to love, joy to sadness... In short, life expressed in a day. We've all heard parts of this played to excess, most notably Tuesday Afternoon and Knights in White Satin, but to truly be experienced this album should be played in its entirety.

Side one1.

The Day Begins: (5:50)

"The Day Begins" (Peter Knight & The Moody Blues) - (4:08)
"Morning Glory" (Graeme Edge) [unlisted track] - (1:42)

2. Dawn: (3:48)

(Intro) (Peter Knight) [unlisted track] - (0:38)
"Dawn is a Feeling" (Mike Pinder) - (3:10)

3. The Morning: (3:55)

(Intro) (Peter Knight) [unlisted track] - (0:21)
"Another Morning" (Ray Thomas) - (3:34)

4. Lunch Break: (5:33)

(Intro) (Peter Knight) - (1:53)
"Peak Hour" (John Lodge) - (3:40)

Side two

5. The Afternoon: (8:23)

"Forever Afternoon (Tuesday?)" (Justin Hayward) - (5:06)
"(Evening) Time to Get Away" (Lodge) [unlisted track] - (3:17)

6. Evening: (6:40)

(Intro) (Peter Knight) [unlisted track] - (0:38)
"The Sunset" (Pinder) - (2:39)
"Twilight Time" (Thomas) - (3:23)

7. The Night: (7:24)

"Nights in White Satin" (Hayward) - (5:38)
"Late Lament" (Graeme Edge) [unlisted track] - (1:46)

71CH7c4SI3L.jpg

Sur La Mer -- Remastered CD

Moody Blues

1988 Polydor Records

Pop Moodies October 14, 2004
By Lonnie E. Holder HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICE
"Sur La Mer" was the fourth and final original Moodies album released in the 80s. The album was an improvement over "The Other Side of Life," which tried too hard to fit with the commercial music of 1986 and which succeeded with "Your Wildest Dreams." However, the music in that album tried to make The Moody Blues 80s hip, and historically their music has been their own, not their interpretation of current pop. Unfortunately, that tendency lingers on a few songs in this album.

On the positive, Patrick Moraz' overpowering keyboards were toned down significantly from the previous album; a much needed improvement. Also, there are several very good songs. Some of the better songs sound similar to the Justin Hayward and John Lodge solo effort "Blue Jays," but that is to be expected since both wrote or co-wrote every song on this CD.

There are several negative aspects to this album. Probably the most significant is the absence of flautist and vocalist Ray Thomas. Ray has always helped expand the breadth of the Moodies' music, and his absence is noticeable. Another negative is that some of the music tries too hard, again, to be current with musical trends of the late 80s. This characteristic is attributable to the creative leadership of Justin Hayward and John Lodge, who appeared to be looking for a more commercial sound. Another disturbing aspect of this album is the heavy reliance on synthesizers. Both Justin Hayward and John Lodge are credited with drum sequencing, which seems to me to be synthesized drums. Tony Visconti is also credited with programming, which I take to mean synthesizers of some type. While I applaud the lesser role of Patrick Moraz on this CD, I also wonder what he was doing when three others were doing synthesizer work.

The CD kicks off with "I Know You're Out There Somewhere," a lengthy combination of music and vocals that is considered the follow up to "Your Wildest Dreams" from "The Other Side of Life." This romantic ballad about seeking a lost love was a syrupy sweet video, and yet it worked for me. This song is also one of the few that inherited a flavor of the progressive rock for which the Moodies were once known, though this song is solidly pop. While fans of the classic 7 may bemoan the light lyrics and pop beat, the song is well written and performed. This song is one of the best on this CD.

Another excellent love ballad, "Want to Be with You," follows. Portions of the song have a wonderfully bombastic nature that reminds me of some of the most challenging of early Moodies music, though the song is pop. The harmonies on this song are also well done. This song is another of the better songs on this CD.

The third song, "River of Endless Love," is a throw back to "The Other Side of Life." The song is fast and tries too hard to show how current the Moodies can be. The cutesy synthesizer introduction turns me off as does the synthesizer in several other places. The vocals are acceptable, but this song just feels like commercial filler.

"No More Lies" is a sincere and wonderful Justin Hayward ballad, which means, of course, that it really is not a Moody Blues ballad. However, it is a wonderfully mellow ballad. There are moments in this song that anticipate "The View from the Hill," a 1996 Justin Hayward release that could easily have included this song. This song is an indication of the reason Justin Hayward has been given awards for his song writing ability.

Another relatively weak song is "Here Comes the Weekend." The vocals and music are played well, but the song seems like a low point on this CD.

"Vintage Wine" has Moody Blues lyrics with pop music. The lyrics are generally excellent, and had this song been influenced by the entire team, including Mike Pinder, it could have been a phenomenal Moodies song with airy synthesizers and a haunting flute.

"Breaking Point" at first seems a bit too pop, but read the lyrics and you realize the person in this song is incredibly haunted, perhaps by a lost love or loved one. The song could have been more heavily orchestrated and the lack of creative synthesizers again leaves the song wanting for more power, but is still reasonably good.

The disco-sounding "Miracle" would be fine for a group that specializes in dance music, but not the Moodies.

John Lodge redeems himself on "Love Is on the Run," easily his best contribution on this CD, ranking with "Want to Be with You" that he co-wrote with Justin Hayward. The soaring vocals and keyboards come together to create one of the more powerful songs on this CD.

The CD ends with "Deep," the fourth Justin Hayward written song. At last is a flavor of the depth the Moodies once had. Admittedly the song brings a flavor only, but it is there. The lyrics have a little spiritual new age flavor and Justin's vocals climb in places to emphasis portions appropriately. While there are some things about the music that I find slightly annoying, particularly some of the electronic percussion, this song also features some of the more intricate music on this CD.

Moody Blues CDs of the 80s suffered from a lack of concept and too much variety in musical styles; this CD suffers from both. However, there are some moments on this CD that make this CD quite worthwhile. Indeed, had a mere three songs been replaced by other songs the CD would have been much stronger. Had the remaining songs had more influence by Ray Thomas, and, in my dreams, Mike Pinder, this CD could have been absolutely phenomenal. However, in spite of the flaws, this CD is one of the better CDs of the post "Long Distance Voyager" era and well worth having in any Moody Blues fan's CD collection.

Track Listing
1. I Know You're Out There Somewhere
2. Want to Be With You
3. River of Endless Love
4. No More Lies
5. Here Comes the Weekend
6. Vintage Wine
7. Breaking Point
8. Miracle
9. Love Is on the Run
10. Deep

The Moody Blues: Justin Haywood (vocals, guitar, keyboards, programming);John Lodge (vocals, keyboards, bass, programming); Patrick Moraz (keyboards);Graeme Edge (drums).Additional personnel: Tony Visconti (programming).Recorded at Good Earth Studios, Soho, London, England

u1009_32_zpsd1dbcac3.jpg

June Christy & Charlie Barnet Sextet -- CD

With Special Performance by Lynn Franklyn

1957/1995 Total Recordings

1. It's a Most Unusual Day
2. Stardust [Instrumental]
3. How High the Moon
4. Tenderly [Instrumental]
5. 'Round Midnight
6. Making Whoopie [Instrumental]
7. Gone for the Day
8. I Only Have Eyes for You [Instrumental]
9. You're My Thrill
10. A Foggy Day [Instrumental]
11. Gone With the Wind
12. Cotton Tail [Instrumental]

51IbnJ8a-nL.jpg

The Last Concert -- 2 CD Chubby Box Set

The Modern Jazz Quartet

1974/1989 Atlantic Jazz

This two-disc live set features the Modern Jazz Quartet in its final concert (at New York City's Lincoln Center in 1974). Though the group would later reunite in the early '80s, there is the distinct feel of retrospective here, looking back on a career of remarkable invention and artistry. Both qualities are in ample evidence during this performance, which showcases the remarkable solo and ensemble playing of John Lewis (piano), Milt Jackson (vibes), Percy Heath (bass), and Connie Kay (drums).The quartet is most notable for its blend of a chamber approach (in its use of the small group with carefully articulated interplay) and the rootsy groove of jazz. Though European classicism inside syncopated swing is (in many ways) the very structure of jazz, the MJQ drove the marriage home. (Even in appearance, they commanded respect by wearing tuxedos on stage.) Whether on standards ("Summertime," "A Night in Tunisia") or excellent originals ("Django," "Bags' Groove"), the MJQ display--in addition to superior musicianship--an abiding interest in history, tradition, and the integrity of the music. These traits help to make THE LAST CONCERT a suitably impressive exhibition by one of jazz's finest small ensembles.

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. Softly as in a Morning Sunrise
2. The Cylinder
3. Summertime
4. Really True Blues
5. What's New?
6. Blues in A Minor
7. Confirmation
8. 'Round Midnight
9. Night in Tunisia
10. Tears From the Children
11. Blues in H (B)
12. England's Carol

DISC 2:
1. The Golden Striker
2. One Never Knows
3. Trav'lin'
4. Skating in Central Park
5. The Legendary Profile -(bonus track)
6. Concierto de Aranjuez - (bonus track)
7. The Jasmine Tree
8. In Memoriam
9. Django
10. Bags' Groove

Modern Jazz Quartet: John Lewis (piano); Milt Jackson (vibraphone); Percy Heath (bass); Connie Kay (drums).Recorded at Avery Fisher Hall, New York on November 25, 1974.3 LPs on 2 CDs.

Happy Sunday Dennie & all other AA members! I didn't mean to single D out, but honestly, it's kinda his thread! No offense taken please! ;)

I am prepping for a pic-a-nic tomorrow & I wanted some fun, summertime music. My first thought was 'The Beach Boys'. Then I thought of 'Fastball'. A lot just dislike them, I, totally enjoy them! It also makes me think of sunny skies & happy thoughts. Sooo...this is what I am listening to while in the kitchen...

416654J1S9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

All the Pain Money Can Buy

Studio album by Fastball
Released March 10, 1998
Genre Alternative rock, power pop
Length 42:03
Label Hollywood
Producer Julian Raymond & Fastball
Fastball chronology
Make Your Mama Proud
(1996) All the Pain Money Can Buy
(1998) The Harsh Light of Day
(2000)
Professional ratings
Review scores
Source Rating
Allmusic [1]
Alternative Press [2]
Entertainment Weekly A−[3]
Music Box [4]
Q [5]
Robert Christgau C+[6]
Rolling Stone [7]
All the Pain Money Can Buy is the second album by American pop-rock band Fastball, released on March 10, 1998, on Hollywood Records. The album includes the hit singles "The Way" (1998), "Fire Escape" (1998), and "Out of My Head" (1999). The album was certified Gold by the RIAA in June 1998 and went Platinum in September of the same year, making it Fastball's most successful release.

Lookin' good Babs.... :handgestures-thumbup:

ReturnToForeverRomanticWarrior.jpg

Romantic Warrior

Return To Forever

1976 Columbia Records

Amazon.com

Originally released in 1976, Return To Forever's Romantic Warrior could be described as the high-water mark of jazz fusion's commercial popularity, reaching a spot on the Billboard charts and garnering the group a fanatical following of fans attracted to the band's technical prowess and bombast. Released on the heels of the breakup of the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Romantic Warrior still sounds like a standard-bearer for jazz fusion, full of flashy solos and complicated arrangements that seem like collages of different moods, meters, and tempos. The album is much closer to the progressive rock of Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer, or King Crimson than anything from the jazz realm. Return to Forever's rhythm team of bassist Stanley Clarke and drummer Lenny White, who gives the group a subtly funkier sound than most of their contemporaries. Still, it's pianist Chick Corea, using a veritable arsenal of keyboards and effects, and guitarist Al DiMeola, only 21 at the time of this recording, who define Romantic Warrior as a fusion landmark. --Ezra Gale

"Medieval Overture" (Corea) – 5:14
"Sorceress" (White) – 7:34
"The Romantic Warrior" (Corea) – 10:52
"Majestic Dance" (Di Meola) – 5:01
"The Magician" (Clarke) – 5:29
"Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant" (Part I & Part II) (Corea) – 11:26

200_2086330.jpg

I know I have posted this CD before, this lady is so incredible! She has such a vocal talent. :music-listening: :handgestures-thumbup: Sad she hasn't been in the main stream. I suggest to all...check HER out!!!!!

Babs said:
200_2086330.jpg

I know I have posted this CD before, this lady is so incredible! She has such a vocal talent. :music-listening: :handgestures-thumbup: Sad she hasn't been in the main stream. I suggest to all...check HER out!!!!!
Another excellent Canadian artist!

Dennie said:
ReturnToForeverRomanticWarrior.jpg

Romantic Warrior

Return To Forever

:eek:

Brought back a strange memory Dennie. I was in my post-sophomore summer, just bought this vinyl from the cut-out bin, was driving home and gonna be flying to Sacramento for Air Force bootcamp the next morning.
Something caught my eye. And then, the motorcycle, sans driver, smashed my windshield and into the roof of my car. I don't even think I saw the driver. A drunk (1 o'clock in the afternoon, two IDs, both fake) changed lanes and sideswiped the motorcyclist, who hit the center median, flew through the air, and hit me coming the other direction.
He was badly injured, but lived. I got back from CA four weeks later, my car had been towed down by the machinery shed. I went through it, slowly, and found this album, still in the paper bag, on the floor in front of the back seat. It was leaning against the front seat floor mounts, and after baking in the July sun for 4 weeks, wasn't playable anymore.

So, how's it sound? :mrgreen:

JeffMackwood said:
Babs said:
200_2086330.jpg

Another excellent Canadian artist!

Grazie, Jeff Mackwood! Yes, she is more than excellent! :bow-blue:

Zing & Babs have been listening to Amanda for many years.

Great Story Botch, I'm glad you were alright! You must hear "Romantic Warrior"..... :music-rockout:

Happy Memorial Day everyone. :flags-usa:

0d6e81b0c8a071273415a110.L.jpg

America Remembers.... -- CD

Johnny Horton

1992 TeeVee/Sony Records

Rally 'round the flag, boys! February 8, 2002
By Kevin Cook

This collection showcases Johnny Horton's fantastic voice and wide range - he could sing it all, from stirring patriotic songs and historical mini-epics to moving ballads and even rockabilly. Of course, all the hits are here, like the irresistible "Battle of New Orleans" (which I listened to incessantly as a kid in the Sixties) and "North to Alaska," to name two personal favorites.

They just don't write `em like this any more, and more's the pity. You won't be able to resist singing along, I guar-an-tee it!

I regret this collection doesn't include a sentimental favorite of mine, "The Same Old Tale that the Crow Told Me," the flip side of "Sink the Bismarck." Despite that very minor quibble, this is a rousing CD, chock-full of unabashed pride and patriotism. You'll love it.

1. North To Alaska
2. Battle Of New Orleans
3. When It's Springtime In Alaska (It's 40 Below)
4. Johnny Reb
5. I'm Coming Home
6. Honky Tonk Man
7. Sink The Bismark
8. All For The Love Of A Girl
9. The Mansion You Stole
10. I'm Ready If You're Willing
11. The Jim Bridger Story
12. I'm A One-Woman Man
13. Sleepy-Eyed John
14. They'll Never Take Her Love From Me
15. Old Slewfoot
16. All Grown Up
17. Sal's Got a Sugar Lip
18. Whispering Pines
19. Johnny Freedom ('Freedom Land')
20. Comanche

WesMontgomeryDownHereOnTheGround.jpg

Down Here On The Ground

Wes Montgomery

1968 A&M Records

Reunited, April 30, 2002
By Colin Thompson (Atlanta, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Down Here on the Ground (Audio CD)

As a teenager this was my favorite album, It haunted me for 30 years and I found it again recently on the internet. It is my car music, my answering machine music, my music to gift friends with. Not to mention the joy of introducing it to younger generations. Yes, it's timeless but it's more; it is a culmination of talent and spirituality fit for every musical taste.

"Wind Song" (Dave Alpert, Nick Ceroli, Neil Larsen, John Pisano, Paul Francis Webster) – 2:22
"Georgia on My Mind" (Hoagy Carmichael, Stuart Gorrell) – 2:46
"The Other Man's Grass Is Always Greener" (Tony Hatch, Jackie Trent) – 2:36
"Down Here on the Ground" (Lalo Schifrin, Gale Garnett) – 3:42
"Up and at It" (Wes Montgomery) – 4:15
"Goin' on to Detroit" (Montgomery) – 3:38
"I Say a Little Prayer for You" (Burt Bacharach, Hal David) – 3:18
"When I Look in Your Eyes" (Leslie Bricusse) – 3:11
"Know It All (Quem Diz Que Sabe)" (João Donato, Paulo Valle) – 2:59
"The Fox" (Lalo Schifrin) – 2:56

Wes Montgomery – guitar
Herbie Hancock – piano
Ron Carter – bass
Grady Tate – drums
Ray Barretto – percussion
Hubert Laws – flute, oboe
George Marge – flute, oboe
Romeo Penque – flute, oboe
Bobby Rosengarden – percussion
Mike Mainieri – vibraphone
Gene Orloff – violin
Raoul Poliakin – violin
George Ricci – cello
Emanuel Vardi – viola

OscarPetersonNightTrain.jpg

Night Train

The Oscar Peterson Trio

1962 Verve Records

Outstanding and essential jazz piano, July 12, 2002
By Jon Warshawsky "Sinatra Guru" (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)

Night Train is one of the best jazz piano albums I have yet to hear. Oscar Peterson is spellbinding -- both at breakneck and leisurely speeds -- and the ensemble is tight. Favorites here include Ellington's C-Jam Blues (only two notes!), The Honeydripper, Moten Swing, a definitive Band Call and of course a memorable rendition of the title track. I am a huge fan of Dave Brubeck, but one ride on the Night Train and it's obvious Peterson was something special. If you like exciting jazz piano -- this isn't background music -- Night Train is essential.

Side One
No. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "Happy Go Lucky Local (A.K.A. Night Train)" Duke Ellington 4:52
2. "C Jam Blues" Barney Bigard, Ellington 3:26
3. "Georgia on My Mind" Hoagy Carmichael, Stuart Gorrell 3:46
4. "Bags' Groove" Milt Jackson 5:43
5. "Moten Swing" Benny Moten 2:55
6. "Easy Does It" Sy Oliver, Trummy Young 2:45
Side two
No. Title Writer(s) Length
7. "The Honeydripper" Joe Liggins 2:24
8. "Things Ain't What They Used to Be" Mercer Ellington, Ted Parsons 4:38