• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

JimmySmithMidnightSpecial.jpg

Midnight Special

The Incredible Jimmy Smith

1960 Blue Note Records

A1 Midnight Special
A2 A Subtle One
B1 Jumpin' The Blues
B2 Why Was I Born
B3 One O'Clock Jump Drums - Donald Bailey

Guitar - Kenny Burrell
Organ - Jimmy Smith
Saxophone - Stanley Turrentine

516fMCP9rbL_zpsbc4c5acf.jpg

Live At The Isle of Wright Festival 1970 -- Remastered SBM 2-CD Set

The Who

1970/1996 Castle/Columbia Legacy

This 2-CD set documents the Who's performance at a music festival that has achieved an almost mythological status over the years. Whether the event deserves its reputation as Woodstock 2 or not, this staggeringly powerful set captures one of the most important rock groups of the '60s and '70s at the height of its powers. A monstrous, roaring, behemoth of a band, the Who wielded electricity like a lumberjack wields an axe, creating a mountain of distorted wailing and thrashing as thrilling as it was overwhelming. One listen to these discs will quickly confirm that Pete Townshend and company were clearly the founding fathers of grunge-rock.Early tunes like "Substitute," "I Can't Explain" and "My Generation" all receive muscular reworkings here. The bulk of the set is taken up by a performance of the rock opera TOMMY, which, in this raw, biting incarnation, stands head and shoulders above the studio version. There are also versions of two songs, "Water" and "Naked Eye," from Townshend's never-finished LIFEHOUSE project.

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. Heaven and Hell
2. I Can't Explain
3. Young Man Blues
4. I Don't Even Know Myself
5. Water
6. Overture
7. It's a Boy
8. 1921
9. Amazing Journey
10. Sparks
11. Eyesight to the Blind (The Hawker)
12. Christmas

DISC 2:
1. The Acid Queen
2. Pinball Wizard
3. Do You Think It's Alright?
4. Fiddle About
5. Tommy Can You Hear Me?
6. There's a Doctor
7. Go to the Mirror!
8. Smash the Mirror
9. Miracle Cure
10. I'm Free
11. Tommy's Holiday Camp
12. We're Not Gonna Take It
13. Summertime Blues
14. Shakin' All Over / Spoonful / Twist And Shout
15. Substitute
16. My Generation
17. Naked Eye
18. Magic Bus

The music on LIVE AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT FESTIVAL 1970 was originally recorded for the soundtrack to a concert film of the same name.The Who: Roger Daltrey (vocals, harmonica); Pete Townshend (guitar, background vocals); John Entwistle (bass, background vocals); Keith Moon (drums, background vocals).Recorded live at The Isle Of Wight Festival, England on August 29, 1970. Includes liner notes by Michael Heatley and Ted Tuksa

51rBA6fuLoL.jpg

(Capitol Records ~ 1995)

review:

"A sense of self-confidence permeates Road Tested. If the '70s were marked by promise and the '80s by disappointment, the '90s, thanks to three smash studio albums, have been sheer triumph for Raitt, and she sounds damned satisfied. Her first live recording after 24 years in the business, Road Tested is an all-things-to-all-people effort, unsurprising given its creator has become all things to an awful lot of people. Steadfast favorites, '90s hits, and fresh additions to her repertoire are spiced by guest appearances by Bruce Hornsby, Ruth Brown, Charles Brown, Jackson Browne, Kim Wilson, and Bryan Adams. Raitt is in fine voice, her playing is great, and the band is solid. What's missing? Maybe some of that vanquished brashness and desperation,"
~~ Steve Stolder

[ 2 discs ~ total 22 songs ]

~ :handgestures-thumbup: ~~ :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

51x7o38tV-L._SS500_.jpg

Greatest Hits -- CD

Mongo Santamaria

1960's Columbia Records

Amazon.com
Ever since Ramón "Mongo" Santamaría arrived in the United States from Cuba in the late 1940s and hooked up with bebop legend Dizzy Gillespie, Tito Puente, Cal Tjader, and Pérez Prado, he's been the most imitated conga drummer in Latin jazz and salsa music. Further, his pioneering flute-violin charanga bands have almost singly expanded the parameters of Latin sounds in America.

These 1960s Columbia Records sides contain his coveted hip-shaking pop covers with flutist Hubert Laws, master santero Julito Collazo, drummer Bernard Purdie, and trumpeter Marty Sheller, with Santamaría and company conjuring up fun and campy red-beans-and-rice versions of Top 40 soul classics. Santamaría lays the boogaloo down on James Brown's "Cold Sweat," the Temptations' "Cloud Nine," Ritchie Valens's "La Bamba" and Booker T. and the MG's' hit, "Green Onions." But make no mistake, Mongo Santamaría was no novelty act. His rendition of Herbie Hancock's "Watermelon Man" and his own composition, the 6/8 syncopated standard, "Afro Blue"--recorded by legions of musicians, including John Coltrane, and captured live on this compilation--best showcases his thunderous and articulate polyrhythmic genius linking Africa and the Americas. --Eugene Holley Jr.

1. WATERMELON MAN
2. CLOUD NINE
3. SITTING ON THE DOCK OF THE BAY
4. WE GOT LATIN SOUL
5. FAT BACK
6. TWENTY-FIVE MILES
7. COLD SWEAT
8. GREEN ONIONS
9. THE NOW GENERATION
10. LA BAMBA
11. EL PUSSYCAT

61v3O%2BJiKnL.jpg

Maiden Voyage -- CD

Herbie Hancock

1965/1999 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com essential recording

In the mid-'60s, a distinctive postbop style evolved among the younger musicians associated with Blue Note, a new synthesis that managed to blend the cool spaciousness of Miles Davis's modal period, some of the fire of Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers, and touches of the avant-garde's group interaction. Maiden Voyage is a masterpiece of the school, with Hancock's enduring compositions like "Maiden Voyage" and "Dolphin Dance" mingling creative tension and calm repose with strong melodies and airy, suspended harmonies that give form to his evocative sea imagery. Trumpeter Freddie Hubbard was at a creative peak, stretching his extraordinary technique to the limits in search of a Coltrane-like fluency on the heated "Eye of the Storm," while the underrated tenor saxophonist George Coleman adds a developed lyricism to the session. --Stuart Broomer

All compositions by Herbie Hancock.

1. "Maiden Voyage" – 7:53
2. "The Eye of the Hurricane" – 5:57
3. "Little One" – 8:43
4. "Survival of the Fittest" – 9:59
5. "Dolphin Dance" – 9:16

* Herbie Hancock — Piano
* Freddie Hubbard — Trumpet
* George Coleman — Tenor saxophone
* Ron Carter — Bass
* Tony Williams — drums

Moving from disc #1 to #2....

c4f8b2c008a092dea07a7010.L.jpg

G.I. JUKEBOX -- Remastered 5 CD Set

Various Artists

1993 Hindsight Records

Special music from WWII May 23, 2011
By Ian Muldoon
Format:Audio CD|Amazon Verified Purchase

For those of you who grew up listening to this music, then this collection is pretty darn special - to use the language appropriate for the time. It's special because these records are not the commercial releases of the day, but the transcriptions from radio broadcasts, etc, which have been remastered to a decent fidelity consistent with the original sound -which is to say it's not "muddy". My other fear was that it would have unnecessary crowd noises much as the Andrew Sisters Chesterfield Broadcasts have, but no, these are mainly absent too. In short, justice is done to this wonderful music including such gems as To Each his Own by Eddy Howard; Rockin Chair by Alvino Ray; Jersey Bounce by Ozzie Nelson; Now is the Hour by Horace Heidi and dozens more. Much pleasure in this delightful issue.

Track Listings

Disc: 1
1. There Are Yanks
2. One O'Clock Jump
3. Milkman, Keep Those Bottles Quiet
4. Sentimental Journey
5. What Is This Thing Called Love?
6. Margie
7. Tuxedo Junction
8. It Had to Be You
9. Somebody Stole My Gal
10. Bless 'Em All
11. No Name Jive
12. I'll Walk Alone
13. Daddy
14. Blue Champagne
15. I've Been Drafted (And Now I'm Drafting You)
16. A Garden in the Rain
17. Put Your Arms Around Me Honey
18. Moonlight on the Ganges
19. It Must Be Jelly, 'Cause Jam Don't Shake Like That

Disc: 2
1. Over the Rainbow
2. American Patrol
3. Blueberry Hill
4. I Couldn't Sleep a Wink Last Night
5. Serenade in Blue
6. I'm Just Wild About Harry
7. Tico Tico
8. Avalon
9. As Time Goes By
10. Bugle Call Rag
11. Somebody Else Is Taking My Place
12. El Choclo
13. Lili Marlene
14. The Music Goes 'Round and Around
15. How High the Moon
16. G.I. Jive
17. Little Brown Jug
18. You Made Me Love You
19. The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down
20. We Three (My Echo, My Shadow and Me)
21. Moonlight Serenade

Disc: 3
1. Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive
2. Now Is the Hour
3. All This and Heaven Too
4. Begin the Beguine
5. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter
6. I May Be Wrong, But I Think You're Wonderful
7. The Hut Sut Song
8. In the Mood
9. Till the End of Time
10. Whistle While You Work
11. Baby Won't You Please Come Home?
12. Twilight Time
13. Together
14. Swinging on a Star
15. Hawaiian War Chant
16. Shoo Shoo Baby
17. By the River Sainte Marie
18. Candy
19. Piano Concerto in B-Flat Minor
20. I'm Stepping Out With a Memory Tonight
21. Some of These Days
22. I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm

Disc: 4
1. There'll Be a Hot Time in the Old Town of Berlin
2. Rockin' Chair
3. Take the "A" Train
4. Just for a Thrill
5. Your Feet's Too Big
6. All of Me
7. Bell Bottom Trousers
8. Jumpin' at the Woodside
9. The Lady in Red
10. Sweet Georgia Brown
11. To Each His Own
12. Jersey Bounce
13. Mexicali Rose
14. Flat Foot Floogie
15. Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone
16. Oranges and Lemons
17. Don't Get Around Much Anymore
18. Mairzy Doats
19. I'll Get By (As Long as I Have You)

Disc: 5
1. Dipsy Doodle
2. Body and Soul
3. Cuddle Up a Little Closer
4. Blues in the Night
5. Gotta Be This or That
6. Cherokee
7. This Love of Mine
8. It's Been So Long
9. I'll Follow My Secret Heart
10. Homesick, That's All
11. I'll Be With You in Apple Blossom Time
12. Maria Elena
13. Button up Your Overcoat
14. Music, Maestro, Please
15. Shoofly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy
16. I'll Buy That Dream
17. Alexander's Ragtime Band
18. Stardust
19. I'll Be Seeing You

Today's work truck music....

368b793509a0d7a1a2237110.L.jpg

Live At The Apollo -- CD

B.B. King

1991 GRP Records

Amazon.com

It's not that there's anything wrong with this 1990 recording: King's expressive guitar work and vibrant vocals rarely disappoint in a live setting, and this release here he has a top-notch big band behind him. In addition to U2's "When Love Comes to Town," King rolls through nine staples, including "Sweet Sixteen," "Thrill is Gone," and "Paying the Cost to Be the Boss." On the other hand, King has produced a number of absolutely riveting live albums, including Live at the Regal, Blues Is King, and Live in Cook County Jail. They remain high points of blues history, relegating this solid release to the second tier. --Marc Greilsamer

"When Love Comes to Town"
"Sweet Sixteen"
"The Thrill Is Gone"
"Ain't Nobody's Bizness"
"Paying The Cost To Be The Boss"
"All Over Again"
"Nightlife"
"Since I Met You Baby"
"Guess Who"
"Peace To The World"

2764e03ae7a0af538af82210.L.jpg

I've Known Rivers -- CD

Billy Childs

1995 GRP/Stretch Records

Here's a fun parlor trick: play this 1995 session for someone who doesn't know Billy Childs and ask who the leader of the session is. Nine times out of ten, they'll pick reedsman Bob Sheppard, whose soprano sax, clarinets, and flutes are at the foreground of every one of these eight tracks (not counting the recitation of Langston Hughes' poem of the same title, read by Warren Brown at the album's beginning). This leaves pianist and composer Billy Childs sounding like nothing more than a sideman on his own album. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as the little-known Sheppard is actually a gifted soloist whose best work recalls the pan-musical sensibilities and lyricism of Rahsaan Roland Kirk's most delicate work, although he's obviously nowhere near so distinctive a player. In a small combo setting -- say Sheppard and Childs backed with a sensitive guitarist, acoustic bassist, and restrained drummer -- this could have been a truly magical session, as Childs' tunes and Sheppard's solos are an excellent match. Unfortunately, executive producer Chick Corea indulges in his tendency to cram every musical corner with burnished-to-a-sheen instruments and slick production, making I've Known Rivers a frustrating listen. Review by Stewart Mason

1. I've Known Rivers (Part 1, Poem)
2. I've Known Rivers
3. The Starry Night
4. Lament
5. The Way Of The New World
6. This Moment
7. Realism
8. Somewhere I Have Never Travelled
9. Siren Serenade - Billy Childs With Dianne Reeves

Personnel: Billy Childs (piano, Fender Rhodes piano, synthesizer); Dianne Reeves (vocals); Wren Brown (spoken vocals); Bob Sheppard (soprano saxophone, flute, alto flute, clarinet, bass clarinet); Carol Robbins (harp); Richard Todd (French horn); Peter Sprague (acoustic guitar); Scott Henderson (electric guitar); Jimmy Johnson (electric bass); Michael Baker (drums); Anthony Marinelli (programming).Engineers: Allen Sides, Clark Germain, Mark Curry.Recorded at Oceanway Recording & Music Forever Studio, Hollywood, California and Mad Hatter Studios, Los Angeles, California in May 1994."The Starry Night" was nominated for a 1996 Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Composition.

600x600_zpsec677202.jpg

Take For Example This... -- CD

Billy Childs

1988 Windham Hill Jazz

This early effort from Los Angeles-based pianist and composer Billy Childs starts out on a decent level and gets stronger as it goes along. Childs is a versatile writer whose compositions are creative and complex post-bop. His piano playing on this set sometimes recalls Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea, but already shows strong signs of his emerging musical personality. With excellent playing from Bob Sheppard on tenor, flute, and soprano on six of the eight selections (all Childs originals) and a couple tight rhythm sections, Billy Childs' early set is well worth searching for. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Quiet Girl
2. One Fleeting Instant
3. Timeless
4. Room 101
5. Totally Alone
6. Backwards Bop
7. Take For Example This...
8. An Afterthought

Personnel: Billy Childs (piano, synthesizer); Bob Sheppard (soprano & tenor saxophones, flute); Tony Dumas (acoustic bass); Jimmy Johnson (electric bass); Mike Baker, Steve Houghton, Joe Heredia (drums); Lenny Castro (percussion); Carl Wurtz (programming)

61Slqd9034L.jpg

Lush Life - The Music of Billy Strayhorn -- CD

Joe Henderson

1992 Verve Records

Billy Strayhorn was one of the greatest composers in jazz history. It's no wonder Duke Ellington, his longtime collaborator, considered Strayhorn to be his alter ego. The beauty of Strayhorn's music lies in the fact that his tunes need no embellishment, yet at the same time, they are great vehicles for improvisation. For the performer, his music requires sensitivity, but it also invites daring interpretations.Both reverent and playful, tenor saxophonist Joe Henderson strikes a perfect balance on 1992's LUSH LIFE: THE MUSIC OF BILLY STRAYHORN. Trumpeter Wynton Marsalis contributes tremendously to this album with blistering solos on "Johnny Come Lately" and "U.M.M.G. (Upper Manhattan Medical Group)." However, other musicians are featured throughout, as well--the three duo tracks, "Isfahan," "Lotus Blossom," and "Take the 'A' Train," illustrate the greatness of bassist Christian McBride, pianist Stephen Scott, and drummer Gregory Hutchinson, respectively. Henderson himself displays tremendous improvisational prowess on all the tracks, particularly shining on his solo rendition of "Lush Life."

Track Listing
1. Isfahan
2. Johnny Come Lately
3. Blood Count
4. Rain Check
5. Lotus Blossom
6. A Flower Is a Lovesome Thing
7. Take the "A" Train
8. Drawing Room Blues
9. U.M.M.G. (Upper Manhattan Medical Group)
10. Lush Life

Personnel: Joe Henderson (tenor saxophone); Joe Henderson; Christian McBride (bass instrument); Wynton Marsalis (trumpet); Stephen Scott (piano); Gregory Hutchinson (drums).Audio Mixer: Rudy Van Gelder.Liner Note Authors: Stanley Crouch; Dean Pratt.Recording information: Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (09/03/1991-09/08/1991).Photographers: Susan Ragan; William Claxton.Arranger: Don Sickler.

41lxjyrGGkL._SS500_.jpg

Love's Been Rough On Me -- CD

Etta James

1997 RCA Victor

Life is betta with Etta, January 13, 2003
By S. Beauvais "Fool For Dancing" (Snoqualmie, WA United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Love's Been Rough on Me (Audio CD)

This CD is on the top of my all-time favorites list for great music to dance or listen to and, in my opinion, her absolute best to date. Etta James is truly a mistress of the blues.
1. The Rock
2. Cry Like A Rainy Day
3. Love's Been Rough On Me
4. Love It Or Leave It Alone
5. Don't Touch Me
6. Hold Me
7. If I Had Any Pride Left At All
8. I Can Give You Everything
9. I've Been Lovin' You Too Long
10. Done In The Dark

3c9a81b0c8a0cb0533399110.L.jpg

Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus -- Remasterd 24bit CD

Vince Guaraldi Trio

1963/2010 Fantasy/OJC Records

Today he's best known to most people as the man behind the classic PEANUTS music, but long before he jammed with Charlie Brown, Vince Guaraldi was making jazz inroads with his piano trio. As its title implies, JAZZ IMPRESSIONS OF BLACK ORPHEUS was Guaraldi's take on the groundbreaking Jobim score for the BLACK ORPHEUS film. While most of the album finds the prescient Guaraldi getting in on the ground floor of the U.S. bossa nova craze (though his take on these tunes doesn't feel particularly Brazilian), the key song here is in fact a Guaraldi original, "Cast Your Fate to the Wind." With its simple harmonic progression and strong, sunny melody, this unassuming jazz tune somehow made its way to the top of the 1962 pop charts, a rare moment of true jazz crossover.

Track Listing
1. Samba de Orfeu
2. Manha de Carnaval
3. O Nosso Amor
4. Felicidade
5. Cast Your Fate to the Wind
6. Moon River
7. Alma-Ville
8. Since I Fell for You
9. Samba de Orfeu [Single Version]
10. Manha de Carnaval [Take 2] - (previously unreleased, take, alternate take)
11. O Nosso Amor [Take 2] - (previously unreleased, take, alternate take)
12. Felicidade [Take 3] - (previously unreleased, take, alternate take)
13. Cast Your Fate to the Wind [Take 3] - (previously unreleased, take, alternate take)

Personnel: Vince Guaraldi (piano); Monte Budwig (bass); Colin Bailey (drums).Recorded at Station KQED, San Francisco, California in 1961-62. Originally released on Fantasy (8089). Includes liner notes by Ralph J. Gleason.

scott_shirl_likecozys_101b_zps17a5eb78.jpg

Like Cozy -- Remastered CD

The Shirley Scott Trio

1960/2001 Prestige Records

The groove of the recordings heard on Like Cozy is what we've come to expect from Ms. Scott, late-night smooth groove that was heavy on ballads, medium bounce standards, and melodic interplay between leader and sidemen -- a trademark specialty of the label. Scott's piano playing is elegant and reminiscent of both Errol Garner's and Billy Taylor's. She has Garner's ornate sense of style, and Taylor's medium touch and sparse phrasing. A listen to the ballads and bounces here offers Scott's dimensions and inventions as a pianist. The rest of the disc, where Scott resumes her organist's duties, is a pretty and restrained affair, with just enough funk to keep the listener in the groove -- and it's all groove: smooth, slow, and slippery. Tracks such as "'Deed I Do" holds the blues firmly in its grasp as Scott extrapolates on the changes with a subtle but defined harmonic invention. There are no stunners here, but there weren't meant to be. These records were designed for the late-night-after-the-club feel, and they work that way. Like Ben Webster's Ballads or With Strings, these recordings are soundtracks for midnight rendezvous or early in the morning trysts with a loved one. [A Fantasy "two-fer" reissue added another LP from 1960, The Shirley Scott Trio, issued as Moodsville 5. It too features the talents of bassist George Duvivier and drummer Arthur Edgehill, plus two cuts with Scott playing piano.] ~ Thom Jurek

Track Listing
1. Sweet Lorraine
2. I Thought I'd Let You Know
3. I Should Care
4. Spring Is Here
5. I Didn't Know What Time It Was
6. Ain't I Good to You? Gee Baby
7. Until the Real Thing Comes Along
8. Lover Man
9. Like Cozy
10. Little Girl Blue
11. Laura
12. You Do Something to Me
13. Once in a While
14. 'Deed I Do
15. More Than You Know
16. My Heart Stood Still

The Shirley Scott Trio: Shirley Scott (piano, Hammond organ); George Duvivier, George Tucker (bass); Arthur Edgehill (drums).Producer: Esmond Edwards.Originally released on the Prestige subsidiary Moodsville Records.Recorded in Hackensack, New Jersey on October 23, 1958 and Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on April 8 and September 27, 1960. Includes liner notes by Ron Eyre and Tom Wilson.Digitally remastered by Kirk Felton (Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).

Dennie said:

Live At The Apollo -- CD

Nice Dennie!

The 'Live At The Apollo' sparked a memory for me...

Zing witnessed an AA member that won at 'Amateur Night At The Apollo'. He is also a huge voice on Zing's CD. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend the event. So pleased that Zing was able to be part of such as an accomplishment!

Congrats Dana! If he EVER decides to chime in again!!!

Also, how awesome is it that Zing has an 'Apollo' theater achiever on his CD????

Maybe we will hear more from 'The Roman Angelo Chronicles' soon!!!!!

Babs said:
Dennie said:

Live At The Apollo -- CD

Nice Dennie!

The 'Live At The Apollo' sparked a memory for me...

Zing witnessed an AA member that won at 'Amateur Night At The Apollo'. He is also a huge voice on Zing's CD. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend the event. So pleased that Zing was able to be part of such as an accomplishment!

Congrats Dana! If he EVER decides to chime in again!!!

Also, how awesome is it that Zing has an 'Apollo' theater achiever on his CD????

Maybe we will hear more from 'The Roman Angelo Chronicles' soon!!!!!

Nice! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

516-Wo9qywL.jpg

One Way Out - Live at The Beacon Theatre -- 2 CD Set

The Allman Brothers Band

2004 Peach/Sanctuary Records

An awesome album... April 4, 2004
By michael byrne
Format:Audio CD

Last summer the ABB had some extra "instant live" CD's from their summer tour, which they sold through their website. I got 4, so I knew how hot this current incarnation of the band is. In spite of that, this collection still blew me away. This is as close to "Live at Fillmore East" as any live recording any subsequent version of the ABB has ever put out. Its not as good as LAFE, but it would be about impossible to be that good. But this is very good stuff here.

The chemistry between Warren and Derek right now is very similar to Duane and Dickey. This is probably my favorite all time version of Dreams, and this is my second favorite "Whipping Post", after the Fillmore East version.

The rythmn section of Butch, Jaimo, and Marc has never sounded better. Just an awesome, rolling, undulating sea of rythmn providing a foundation for Warren and Dereks lead guitar improvisations. Derek is the closest thing to Duane on slide that the world has seen since Duane passed, and Warren is spectacular.

Greggs vocals have never sounded better, and the new material from the last few years is right up there with the Allmans classics of old.

This current group still has a touch of the country sound now and then that they had with Dickey, but not as much.(On this album: "Old Before My Time" and "High Cost of Low Living", "Midnight Rider", "Come and Go Blues") That might be a drawback to a die hard Dickey fan, but the band now has actually gone back to the original sound of the group, prior to "Brothers and Sisters" when Dickey really came to the forefront as a songwriter and singer.

Disc one

"Statesboro Blues" (McTell) - 5:22
"Don't Keep Me Wonderin'" (Allman) - 4:12
"Midnight Rider" (Allman, Payne) - 3:16
"Rockin' Horse" (Allman, Haynes, Pearson, Woody) - 10:12
"Desdemona" (Allman, Haynes) - 13:27
"Trouble No More" (Waters) - 3:45
"Wasted Words" (Allman) - 7:51
"Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" (Williamson) - 9:01
"Instrumental Illness" (Burbridge, Haynes) - 16:42 (w/ 5:36 drum solo)

Disc two

"Ain't Wastin' Time No More" (Allman) - 6:29
"Come and Go Blues" (Allman) - 6:03
"Woman Across the River" (Crutcher, Jones) - 6:38
"Old Before My Time" (Allman, Haynes) - 5:37
"Every Hungry Woman" (Allman) - 5:21
"High Cost of Low Living" (Allman, Anders, Burgin, Haynes) - 8:42
"Worried Down with the Blues" (Haynes, Woody) - 7:58
"Dreams" (Allman) - 12:49
"Whipping Post" (Allman) - 15:31

The Allman Brothers Band

Gregg Allman - Hammond B-3 organ, piano, acoustic guitar, lead vocals
Jaimoe - drums (left side)
Butch Trucks - drums (right side)
Warren Haynes - lead and slide guitars (right side), lead and background vocals
Marc Quinones - congas, percussion, background vocals
Oteil Burbridge - bass
Derek Trucks - lead and slide guitars (left side)

Today's work truck music...

9375224b9da0247859bcb010.L.jpg

O Brother, Where Art Thou? - Soundtrack -- CD

Various Artists

2000 Lost Highway Records

Amazon.com's Best of 2001

The best soundtracks are like movies for the ears, and O Brother, Where Art Thou? joins the likes of Saturday Night Fever and The Harder They Come as cinematic pinnacles of song. The music from the Coen brothers' Depression-era film taps into the source from which the purest strains of country, blues, bluegrass, folk, and gospel music flow. Producer T Bone Burnett enlists the voices of Alison Krauss, Gillian Welch, Emmylou Harris, Ralph Stanley, and kindred spirits for performances of traditional material, in arrangements that are either a cappella or feature bare-bones accompaniment. Highlights range from the aching purity of Krauss's "Down to the River to Pray" to the plainspoken faith of the Whites' "Keep on the Sunny Side" to Stanley's chillingly plaintive "O Death." The album's spiritual centerpiece finds Krauss, Welch, and Harris harmonizing on "Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby," a gospel lullaby that sounds like a chorus of Appalachian angels. --Don McLeese

1. "Po' Lazarus" traditional James Carter and the Prisoners 4:31
2. "Big Rock Candy Mountain" McClintock Harry McClintock 2:16
3. "You Are My Sunshine" Davis, Mitchell Norman Blake 4:26
4. "Down to the River to Pray" traditional Alison Krauss 2:55
5. "I am a Man of Constant Sorrow" (radio station version) Burnett Soggy Bottom Boys & Dan Tyminski 3:10
6. "Hard Time Killing Floor Blues" James Chris Thomas King 2:42
7. "I am a Man of Constant Sorrow" (instrumental) Burnett Norman Blake 4:28
8. "Keep On the Sunny Side" Blenkhorn, Entwisle The Whites 3:33
9. "I'll Fly Away" Brumley Alison Krauss & Gillian Welch 3:57
10. "Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby" traditional Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss, Gillian Welch 1:57
11. "In the Highways" Carter Leah, Sarah, and Hannah Peasall 1:35
12. "I Am Weary, Let Me Rest" Roberts The Cox Family 3:13
13. "I am a Man of Constant Sorrow" (instrumental) Burnett John Hartford 2:34
14. "O Death" traditional Ralph Stanley 3:19
15. "In the Jailhouse Now" Blind Blake, Rodgers Soggy Bottom Boys & Tim Blake Nelson 3:34
16. "I am a Man of Constant Sorrow" (with band) Burnett Soggy Bottom Boys & Dan Tyminski 4:16
17. "Indian War Whoop" (instrumental) Hoyt Ming John Hartford 1:30
18. "Lonesome Valley" traditional The Fairfield Four 4:07
19. "Angel Band" traditional The Stanley Brothers 2:15
Total length:
61:24

SATemptation_1_zps0b3368e4.jpg

Temptation -- Stereo SACD

Steve Kuhn Trio

2001/2014 Venus Records (Import Japan)

Steve Kuhn mixes standards and forgotten gems in these 2001 studio sessions with bassist Buster Williams and drummer Billy Drummond. Beginning with a tantalizing take of "Temptation" that has a slight Latin undercurrent, Kuhn finds new directions in these timeless pieces. "Dark Eyes" is another gem that has long fallen out of favor, though Kuhn's intricate workout demonstrates that there is plenty of life left in this decades-old warhorse. His treatment of Michel Legrand's "The Summer Knows" (written as theme music for the early-'70s film Summer of '42) is a bit jagged rather than the usual setting as a straight, slow, bittersweet ballad. John Lewis' "Django" has long been a favorite of jazz musicians, and the trio's elegant setting opens with an imaginative improvisation, slowly working into its well-known theme. Kuhn's sole original, "A Likely Story," is a driving post-bop vehicle that never runs out of steam. It's hard to go wrong by purchasing any Steve Kuhn CD, and this is among his best dates. Review by Ken Dryden

Tracklist:

1 Temptation 7:17
2 Dark Eyes 6:06
3 You Better Go Now 6:20
4 The Summer Knows 7:48
5 Love Is Here To Stay 6:40
6 Django 3:30
7 A Likely Story 9:17
8 I Can't Get Started 5:27

Steve Kuhn - Piano
Buster Williams - Bass
Billy Drummond - Drums