• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

World+machine.jpg

:music-listening:

Today's work truck music....

post-427672-1192905146.jpg

North & South -- CD

Gerry Rafferty

1988/1990 Polygram Records

Gerry Rafferty's '80s and '90s albums were so low-key and infrequent that a rumor actually went around that the singer/songwriter had made so much money off his monster 1978 hit "Baker Street" that he'd simply bought an island and retired. He might not have made that much, but it's clear from the casual, relaxed vibe of 1988's North & South that Rafferty is a man with little to prove and no concern as to whether his sound is particularly commercially viable. As a result, North & South sounds remarkably like Mark Knopfler's post-"Money for Nothing" records. (The title track and the slide guitar-enhanced "Hearts Run Dry" are particularly Dire Straits-like.) The ten songs take their own sweet time to unfold -- six are over six minutes long -- but Rafferty's knack for simple but memorable melodies and his inimitable voice, which sounds as great as ever, are enough to keep even a casual listener interested. The unexpectedly Celtic-sounding "Tired of Talking" is a particular highlight, but the '70s-phobic should note that this album is as smoothly produced and utterly sweat-free as Rafferty's best-known work.

1. "North and South"
2. "Moonlight and Gold"
3. "Tired of Talking"
4. "Hearts Run Dry"
5. "A Dangerous Age"
6. "Shipyard Town"
7. "Winter’s Come"
8. "Nothing Ever Happens Down Here"
9. "On a Night Like This"
10. "Unselfish Love"

7474840.jpg

Joe's 7th album ~ released In 2007

[#1 Billboard Blues Album]

Track Listings:

1.Ball Peen Hammer

2.One Of These Days

3.Seagull

4.Dirt In My Pocket

5.Slow Gin

6.Another Kind Of Love

7.Around The Bend

8.Black Night

9.Jelly Roll

10. Richmond

Happy Sunday everyone.... :banana-dance:

d279b2c008a0596925e88010.L.jpg

As Time Goes By: The Best Of.... -- Remastered CD

Jimmy Durante

1993 Warner Archives

Album Notes
It is said that a truly great comedian can draw not only laughter, but also tears from their audience. This is certainly true of Charlie Chaplin, and is no less true of Jimmy Durante, a man whose face, voice, and demeanor were at once comic and tragic. AS TIME GOES BY: THE BEST OF JIMMY DURANTE bears witness to the magical combination of these qualities in the man they called the Schnozz.Collected here are 12 recordings mostly from the 1950s, all classic renditions of the standards that made Durante famous. "September Song" and Chaplin's "Smile" are superb vehicles for Durante's heart-rending yet simple intonations. Also present are the sad sack love songs "Hello, Young Lovers" and "If I Had You," each as perfect for Durante as if they had been written specifically for him. "I'll See You in My Dreams" rounds out the collection, ending, naturally, with a sweet goodnight to Mrs. Callabash.

Track Listing
1. As Time Goes By
2. If I Had You
3. Smile
4. Hi-Lo Hi-Lili
5. Make Someone Happy
6. Young at Heart
7. Young Lovers Hello
8. Try a Little Tenderness
9. The Glory of Love
10. I'll Be Seeing You
11. September Song
12. I'll See You in My Dreams

51twlCGOLSL.jpg

Listen Here! -- CD

The Gene Harris Quartet

1989 Concord Records

Although often associated with the blues, only one of the ten selections on this quartet set by pianist Gene Harris (who is joined by guitarist Ron Eschete, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer Jeff Hamilton) is technically a blues. On this excellent all-around showcase for the soulful pianist, Harris sounds in prime form exploring such tunes as "This Masquerade," "Don't Be That Way," Eddie Harris' "Listen Here," and "The Song Is Ended." Listen Here! gives listeners a pretty definitive look at Gene Harris' accessible and swinging style. ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. This Masquerade
2. Don't Be That Way
3. I've Got a Feeling I'm Falling
4. Listen Here
5. This Can't Be Love
6. To You
7. Blues for Jezebel
8. Sweet and Lovely
9. Lullabye
10. The Song Is Ended

Gene Harris Quartet: Gene Harris (piano); Ron Eschete (guitar); Ray Brown (bass); Jeff Hamilton (drums).Recorded at The Plant Recording Studios, Sausalito, California in March 1989.

I've got some Keith Whitley playing in the background (spotify).

Reminds me of a slightly hard-core facsimile of a Randy Travis. Though, after Randy Travis' hard core drinking from a few years back maybe it's not by all that much more! Maybe an occasional microscopic hint of Ronnie Milsap or early Garth Brooks, too. Anyway... Previously all I had known was that Allison Krause had a hit song that Whitley had written.

91A8DJ-SYTL_zpse3ad8ea2.jpg

Cheek To Cheek -- Deluxe Edition CD

Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga

2014 Columbia/Streamline Records

Just so very special!
By Richard B. Green VINE VOICE on September 23, 2014
Format: MP3 Music
A couple of years ago when, at Thanksgiving, Lady Gaga appeared in a holiday special with guest performer Tony Bennett, I said, "They should do an album together." And now we have it. Tony is a miracle...I mean, come on, eighty-eight years of age and he sounds absolutely fabulous! And now with his sixty-year-younger partner, Tony just proves (as if he has to) that he holds such a very special place in the world of music. Both Tony and the Lady introduce each other to their respective audiences, winning for each even more fans of just really good music. What I like about this pairing is what I don't care for on the new Barbra Streisand album...Tony has found someone with whom he pairs so well; Barbra tends to just show up the minimal talents, for the most part, of those she chooses to sing with...except for Michael Buble. An album of duets with just him would have been perfection! Tony instead finds a vocalist whose style meshes so well with his; he did the same in the work he did with k.d. lang. They worked so well together. The same happens here with Lady Gaga. If you've seen them interviewed together or if you look back to Tony's last duet album and the music he made with her, you can tell they get such a kick out of making music together. Those of us who enjoy the standards are very happy indeed, the lucky recipients of this treasure they've created.

Track Listing
1. Anything Goes
2. Cheek To Cheek
3. Don't Wait Too Long
4. I Can't Give You Anything But Love
5. Nature Boy
6. Goody Goody
7. Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye
8. Firefly
9. I Won't Dance
10. They All Laughed
11. Lush Life
12. Sophisticated Lady
13. Let's Face The Music & Dance
14. But Beautiful
15. It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)

I just don't get what it is what Tony Bennett has, but kudos to the old man. Didn't he also get photographed with Christina Agulara (sp?) not too long ago, too. Presumably a song or two, too?

Kazaam said:
I just don't get what it is what Tony Bennett has, but kudos to the old man. Didn't he also get photographed with Christina Agulara (sp?) not too long ago, too. Presumably a song or two, too?

He's done many duet's with younger artists, 'cause all the older ones are gone! lol :laughing-rolling:

He is a fantastic artist and many younger "stars" seem happy to record with a legend before he's gone.

"Cheek To Cheek" is truly a great album which shows both of their talents. I recommend it if you like this kind of music (Standards) or either of the them.

Dennie :music-listening:

61bJiJwdHRL.jpg

The First Time Ever (I Saw Your Face) -- Remastered Expanded CD

Vikki Carr

1972/2014 Columbia/Real Gone Music

She was born Florencia Bisenta de Casillas Martinez Cardona in El Paso, Texas, but the world would know her better as Vikki Carr, the four-time Grammy-winner whom no less an authority than Dean Martin once called The best girl singer in the business and Ethel Merman singled out as being more impressed with her performance than by any young singer.

Sentimental, vivacious and stunningly dramatic, the voice of Vikki Carr is one of American pop music s most versatile, too. During her long, glittering career, she has tackled jazz, pop, blues and country with equal aplomb. In addition to her extraordinary American pop music career of the 1960s and early 70s, punctuated by such signature hits as It Must Be Him, The Lesson, With Pen in Hand and Eternity, Carr has gone on to become one of the most popular and successful Spanish-language singers in the world, a pioneer predating Linda Ronstadt and an acolyte of Eydie Gorme s and Connie Francis beloved international music tradition.

We at Real Gone Music are thrilled to add Vikki to our artist roster with The First Time Ever (I Saw Your Face) (Expanded Edition), a first time ever reissue of her classic 1972 album produced by Snuff Garrett and arranged by Al Capps. The release features no less than nine bonus tracks (seven singles and a pair of holiday favorites) highlighted by Vikki s long-unavailable hit version of The Big Hurt and captivating covers of numerous 70s smashes, with notes by David St. Mark drawn from an extensive interview with the artist herself as well as her colleagues. Mastered at Sony s own Battery Studios in NYC by Sean Brennan and featuring copious rare photos one of this year s big pop vocal finds!

Tracks:

1. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

2. (Last Night) I Didn't Get To Sleep At All

3. Theme from Summer of '42

4. Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves

5. Without You

6. Song Sung Blue

7. Love Theme from The Godfather

8. Cabaret

9. Help Me Make It Through The Night

10. Brian's Song

11. The Way of Love

Bonus Tracks:

12. Call My Heart Your Home

13. The Big Hurt

14. Let The Band Play On

15. Reflections

16. Borrowed Time

17. Puttin' Myself In Your Hands

18. I Don't Want A Sometimes Man

19. What Child Is This

20. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear

Kazaam said:
David Allan Coe now. This guy is awesome!
Wow! * I was as surprised to see this name pop up as I was Jimmy Durante.

I know David Allen's music well .......... Jimmy D's not at all

smokin.gif

51hAfyjkUAL._SS500_.jpg

Blue Country Heart -- CD

Jorma Kaukonen

2002 Columbia Records

Amazon.com

Singer and guitarist extraordinaire Jorma Kaukonen was a devoted aficionado of early-20th-century rural music long before he cofounded Jefferson Airplane in 1965 and Hot Tuna some years later. On his new solo album, Kaukonen has found an imaginative setting to remind listeners how a fusion of styles and influences from both black and white musicians defined American country music in its formative decades. Included here are gems, both familiar and obscure, by the likes of Jimmie Rodgers, the Delmore Brothers, Jimmie Davis, Cliff Carlisle, and other country musicians who were clearly inspired by their blues cousins. Backed by the Nashville All-Stars, a supersonic string band comprising bluegrass masters Sam Bush (mandolin), Jerry Douglas (Dobro), Béla Fleck (banjo), and Byron House (stand-up bass), all playing on vintage 1920s and '30s acoustic instruments, Kaukonen revives and vividly reinterprets these blues-drenched country classics for a new generation of listeners. --Bob Allen

"Blue Railroad Train" (Lionel Alton Delmore, Rabon Delmore) – 3:44
"Just Because" (Hubert A. Nelson, James D. Touchstone) – 4:16
"Blues Stay Away from Me" (L. Delmore, R. Delmore, Henry Glover, Wayne Raney) – 3:28
"Red River Blues" (Jimmie Davis) – 3:25
"Bread Line Blues" (Bernard Slim Smith) – 4:38
"Waiting for a Train" (Jimmie Rodgers) – 3:26
"Those Gambler's Blues" (Rodgers) – 3:07
"Tom Cat Blues" (Jelly Roll Morton) – 3:05
"Big River Blues" (L. Delmore) – 3:01
"Prohibition Blues" (Clayton McMichen) – 4:13
"I'm Free from the Chain Gang Now" (Lou Herscher, Saul Klein) – 3:28
"You and My Old Guitar" (Rodgers, Elsie McWilliams) – 2:45
"What are They Doing in Heaven Today?" (Traditional) – 3:20

Jorma Kaukonen - guitar, vocals
Sam Bush – mandolin, fiddle, background vocals
Jerry Douglas – dobro, weissenborn
Byron House – bass, background vocals
Béla Fleck – banjo on "Just Because" and "Bread Line Blues"

9870810ae7a097766f5ab110.L.jpg

Duets -- CD

Emmylou Harris

1990 Reprise Records

This is a gorgeous album!, December 15, 1999
By Vincent E. Vizachero (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Duets (Audio CD)

I consider this album to be one of the most enjoyable Emmylou Harris albums in my collection. Emmylou has a wonderful voice, and I think it works so wonderfully in duets that music fans would be short-changing themselves if they missed out on this masterpiece.

Comprised primarily (perhaps entirely) of previously released material, "Duets" is a tribute to Harris' vocal beauty and skills at interpretation (and her skill at picking singing partners). Each song is strong in its own right,and yet the album is something more than the sum of its parts. The brilliance of Harris' performances and the variety of her partners is truly impressive.

What sets this CD apart from many of Emmylou Harris' solo efforts is that this is a collection of uniformly well-written songs performed by Harris in her vocal prime. With the exception of "Wrecking Ball," none of her solo albums resonate with me as deeply as this one. From the familiar classic cuts ("Love Hurts" and "That Lovin' You Feelin' Again") to the surprises (a great(? ) rousing John Denver song and a definitive version of Townes Van Zandt's "If I Needed You" with Don Williams), Emmylou shines brightly and consistently throughout this album. And here peformance with Willie Nelson on "Gulf Coast Highway" is truly fabulous.

The Amazon.com review notwithstanding, I think this is a fine introduction to Emmylou Harris (it certainly was for me). If you appreciate brilliant vocal harmonies, you'll appreciate this one.

"The Price I Pay" [with the Desert Rose Band] (Chris Hillman, Bill Wilds) - 2:58
"Love Hurts" [with Gram Parsons] (Boudleaux Bryant) - 3:40
"That Lovin' You Feelin' Again" [with Roy Orbison] (Roy Orbison, Chris Price) - 4:00
"We Believe in Happy Endings" [with Earl Thomas Conley] (Bob McDill) - 3:34
"Thing About You" [with Southern Pacific] (Tom Petty) - 3:51
"Star of Bethlehem" [with Neil Young] (Neil Young) - 2:43
"All Fall Down" [with George Jones] (Ron Peterson, Harlan Howard) - 3:19
"Wild Montana Skies" [with John Denver] (John Denver) - 4:02
"Green Pastures" [with Ricky Skaggs] (Van Hoose) - 3:08
"Gulf Coast Highway" [with Willie Nelson] (Nanci Griffith, Danny Flowers, James Hooker) - 3:09
"If I Needed You" [with Don Williams] (Townes Van Zandt) - 3:35
"Evangeline" [with The Band] (Robbie Robertson) - 3:10

topper said:
Kazaam said:
David Allan Coe now. This guy is awesome!
Wow! * I was as surprised to see this name pop up as I was Jimmy Durante.

I know David Allen's music well .......... Jimmy D's not at all

smokin.gif

This was my first Jimmy Durante album and I was hooked after that....

CassandraWilson-Loverly005.jpg

Dennie :dance:

Happy Monday everyone.... :scared-eek:

51vsiynXziL._SS500_.jpg

Accentuate The Positive -- CD

Al Jarreau

2004 Verve Records

Amazon.com

Al Jarreau's style bridges Jon Hendricks's vocalese and Bobby McFerrin's incredible flights of fancy. This CD, with Diana Krall's rhythm section--guitarist Anthony Wilson, drummer Peter Erskine, and bassist Christian McBride--should please fans of albums like Jarreau's phenomenal 1977 live LP, Look to the Rainbow. Duke Ellington's "I'm Beginning to See the Light" is illuminated by Larry Goldings's down-home Hammond organ, while Lionel Hampton's "Midnight Sun" bops with hip-hop-friendly rim shots. Jarreau's tenor tones curve with saxophonic dexterity and pulse with percussive precision, especially on Dizzy Gillespie's "Groovin' High," where he slyly drops in a few words from the old show tune, "Whispering." --Eugene Holley, Jr.

"Cold Duck" (Harris, Jarreau)
"The Nearness of You" (Carmichael, Washington)
"I'm Beginning to See the Light" (Ellington, George, Hodges, James)
"My Foolish Heart" (Washington, Young)
"Midnight Sun" (Hampton, Burke & Mercer)
"Accentuate the Positive" (Arlen, Mercer)
"Betty Bebop's Song" (Jarreau, Ravel)
"Waltz for Debby" (Evans, Lees)
"Groovin' High" (Gillespie, Jarreau)
"Lotus" (Grolnick, Jarreau)
"Scootcha Booty" (Ferrante, Jarreau)

Al Jarreau
Keith Anderson – saxophone
Larry Williams – keyboards and arrangements
Russell Ferrante – piano
Larry Goldings – Hammond B-3
Tollak Ollestad – harmonica
Anthony Wilson – guitar
Christian McBride – bass
Dave Carpenter – bass
Mark Simmons – drums
Peter Erskine – drums
Luis Conte – percussion

61Iwc-oA2rL.jpg

His Band and the Street Choir -- CD

Van Morrison

1970/1990 Warner Bros. Records

Amazon.com

His Band and the Street Choir appeared at a time--1970--when Van Morrison was building on the great critical successes of Astral Weeks and Moondance. His third Warner Bros. album contains a number of radio-friendly tracks clearly aimed at the singles market and few clues of the serious, brooding melancholy of Astral Weeks. Kicking off with the jaunty "Domino," the album is generally dominated by uptempo swingers such as "Call Me Up in Dreamland," "Give Me a Kiss," and "Blue Money." The cover photography and liner notes by then wife Janet Planet reveal a smiling Morrison and hint at a newfound personal contentment. This mood did not last long after Van left the artists' community of Woodstock. But even here, in "I'll Be Your Lover Too" and "Crazy Face," there are moments that are essential listening for fans of his sullen splendor and mysticism. --Rob Stewart

Side one

"Domino" – 3:06
"Crazy Face" – 2:56
"Give Me a Kiss (Just One Sweet Kiss)" – 2:30
"I've Been Working" – 3:25
"Call Me Up in Dreamland" – 3:52
"I'll Be Your Lover, Too" – 3:57

Side two

"Blue Money" – 3:40
"Virgo Clowns" – 4:10
"Gypsy Queen" – 3:16
"Sweet Jannie" – 2:11
"If I Ever Needed Someone" – 3:45
"Street Choir" – 4:43

c489225b9da0bfe27fe35110.L.png

Careless Love -- CD

Madeleine Peyroux

2004 Rounder Records

Amazon.com

When Madeleine Peyroux's debut, Dreamland, was released in 1996, its success threw her for a loop. She's taken eight years to create this follow-up, and, at age 30, she brings a confidence and resilience to this dozen-song set. She's able to move seamlessly between songs by writers as diverse as Elliott Smith and W.C. Handy, whose title track was popularized by Bessie Smith. Though American-born, Peyroux absorbed the language and culture of France growing up in Paris with her French-teacher mother. On her debut, she covered Edith Piaf, and this time out she wraps herself around "J'ai Deux Amours," which Josephine Baker sang to the Allied troops during World War II. --David Greenberger

"Dance Me to the End of Love" (Leonard Cohen) - 3:56
"Don't Wait Too Long" (Madeleine Peyroux–Jesse Harris–Larry Klein) - 3:10
"Don't Cry Baby" (Saul Bernie–James P. Johnson–Stella Unger) - 3:16
"You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go" (Bob Dylan) - 3:26
"Between the Bars" (Elliott Smith) - 3:42
"No More" (Salvador Camerata–Bob Russell) - 3:31
"Lonesome Road" (Gene Austin–Nathaniel Shilkret) - 3:10
"J'ai Deux Amours" (Vincent Scotto–Géorges Koger–Henri Varna) - 2:54
"Weary Blues" (Hank Williams) - 3:39
"I'll Look Around" (George Cory-Douglass Cross) - 4:47
"Careless Love" (William C. Handy-Martha Koenig–Spencer Williams) - 3:50
"This Is Heaven to Me" (Frank Reardon–Ernest Schweikert) - 3:12

(Recorded at Market Street, Venice, and Paramount Recording Studios, Hollywood by Helik Hadar.)

Back