• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Dennie said:
Today's work truck music....

3a7d820dd7a096a282b0f010.L.jpg

Hot House -- CD

Bruce Hornsby

1995 RCA Records

This album is addicting and mesmerizing., October 26, 1999

This album is both addicting and mesmerizing. From the first strains of Spider fingers to the last notes of Cruise control, Bruce Hornsby proves that he is the consumate musician and story teller. He's racked up a bunch of superior musicians and vocalists to work with here. Incuded are Jazz guitarist Pat Metheney, country Banjoist Bela Fleck and the always funky and fabulous diva Chaka Khan. All of them give stellar performances, but none outweigh the arresting presence of Bruce himself. The cd just gets better and better with each track, my favorites are "White wheeled limosine" the story of a jilted bride and "Country doctor" the story of a doctor who's wife dies under mysterious circumstances. The music is jazzy and jammin not the pop piano songs that you might expect. It's hard to believe that this is the same guy who wrote "The way it is". Patty Hayes

All songs written by Bruce Hornsby.

"Spider Fingers"
"White Wheeled Limousine"
"Walk in the Sun"
"The Changes"
"The Tango King"
"Big Rumble"
"Country Doctor"
"The Longest Night"
"Hot House Ball"
"Swing Street"
"Cruise Control"

Oh Yea................

:bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

493379edd7a0f5374c696110.L.jpg

Hymns of the 49th parallel -- CD

k.d. lang

2004 Nonesuch Records

Amazon.com

Was it homesickness that compelled longtime Los Angeles resident k.d. lang to fashion her one-woman campaign for north-of-the-border nationalism, or just plain good sense? All Canadian content has long been a mainstay of the Canadian Broadcasting System, but few have selected their material with such a fine hand and a high aesthetic. The expatriate singer has taken great pains to create a sophisticated homage to her Canadian roots, elegantly reinterpreting 11 songs penned by some of her more illustrious countrymen (and women) such as Jane Siberry, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, and Leonard Cohen. The idiosyncratic chanteuse turns Cohen's "Bird on a Wire" into an aching monochromatic lament, exploring new tributaries of pain that didn't exist in the original, while recasting Neil Young's "Helpless" into a haunting anthem of memory and comfort, all the while sounding anything but helpless. A gorgeous love letter to her brethren, complete with an intelligent and understated orchestration. --Jaan Uhelszki

"After the Gold Rush" (Neil Young) – 4:00
"Simple" (Lang, David Piltch) – 3:02
"Helpless" (Neil Young) – 4:15
"A Case of You" (Joni Mitchell) – 5:12
"The Valley" (Jane Siberry) – 5:31
"Hallelujah" (Leonard Cohen) – 5:01
"One Day I Walk" (Bruce Cockburn) – 3:24
"Fallen" (Ron Sexsmith) – 2:56
"Jericho" (Mitchell) – 3:45
"Bird on the Wire" (Leonard Cohen) – 4:28
"Love is Everything" (Jane Siberry) – 5:43

Happy Saturday everyone.... :banana-dance:

NeilYoungOldWays_zpsf3e27450.jpg

Old Ways -- 24k Gold CD

Neil Young

1996 MFSL Ultradisc II

"Young is countrified & having a ball", August 8, 2000
By J. Lovins "Mr. Jim" (Missouri-USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Old Ways (Audio CD)

A straight ahead country album from Neil Young featuring Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings - "OLD WAYS", originally released in 1985- is traveling down the road again with a country band International Harvesters.

Guest appearances by some notables as - Bela Fleck on banjo, Hargus "Pig" Robbins on piano, Rufus Thibodeaux on fiddle, Ralph Mooney on steel guitar, Marty Stuart on mandolin and Terry McMillan on harmonica, plus his usual sidemen Ben Keith, Spooner Oldham, Tim Drummond and Karl Himmel.

This re-mastered album is pure fun, sounds better than ever. Give a listen and see if you don't agree - "OLD WAYS" is a real down-home barn-raisin' time!

Side one

"The Wayward Wind" – (Herb Newman, Stanley Lebowsky) 3:12
"Get Back to the Country" – 2:50
"Are There Any More Real Cowboys?" – 3:03
"Once an Angel" – 3:55
"Misfits" – 5:07

Side two

"California Sunset" – 2:56
"Old Ways" – 3:08
"My Boy" – 3:37
"Bound for Glory" – 5:48
"Where Is the Highway Tonight?" – 3:02

Okay, this one is new to me and I really like what I'm hearing... :music-listening:

Congratulations Zing, you should be very proud! :eusa-clap:

cb179b4d-3dfb-4f1c-a23f-b97adec69e1f_zps4f51d03a.jpg

Entry Level -- CD

Roman Angelo

2014 Roman Angelo Records

The highly anticipated debut album from Roman Angelo. With eleven original tracks and one fantastic remake of an '80s classic hit, there's something here for everyone.

12 MP3 Songs in this album (42:49) !
Related styles: Rock: Adult Contemporary, Pop: Pop/Rock, Featuring Piano

People who are interested in Joshua Kadison Michael Bolton Richard Marx should consider this download.

Details:
With inspiration drawn from music's greatest producers and arrangers, Entry Level is a tour de force debut. Roman Angelo clearly had something to prove and he proved it emphatically and unequivocally.

Each track is unique -- from the enigmatic H.I.M. and its seamless transition to the blues-inspired What A Choice, to the incredible remake of the classic Scorpions hit No One Like You -- yet every track is uniquely Roman Angelo. He put the fun in funky with Stop The Tease. He soothes the soul with Buonanotte. He rocks Rhythm & Rhyme. And he filled Grind A Groove with sultry sexy swagger.

Roman's piano influences are noticeable. There's an element of Joshua Kadison in Last Night On Earth, a hint of Donald Fagen with a touch of Stevie Wonder in Stop The Tease and Buonanotte speaks of Brian Culbertson. But nothing is more glaringly obvious than the Elton John influence as the chord structures and progressions in Never Imagined This.

On top of it all, there was an emphasis on sound quality beginning with the very first recording session and ending with the final mastering.

This album has it all and it's got it goin' on.

1 H.I.M.
2 What a Choice
3 You Might Be
4 Last Night On Earth
5 No One Like You
6 Three Years
7 Stop the Tease
8 Never Imagined This
9 Rhythm & Rhyme
10 Grind a Groove
11 You Might Be (2K14)
12 Buonanotte

Zing said:
How awesome! I am humbled.

I wonder how I sound through La Scalas (or Quart Veras).

FANTASTIC! :music-rockout:

I think the neighbors are liking it too! :eusa-whistle:

BTW, I simultaneously post on 3 different forums, so this is being seen by Music Lovers at the "Klipsch" and "AudioKarma" forums too.

This is fantastic Danny, I am honored to have it in my collection. Again, Congratulations!

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Happy Sunday everyone.... :banana-rock:

61zRe9loPQL._SS400_.jpg

Love Is My Religion -- CD

Ziggy Marley

2006 Tuff Gong Records

Great Music December 10, 2011
By Paul S. MacGregor
Format:Audio CD|Amazon Verified Purchase

There's not a weak link on this album. It's the kind of standard you'd expect from the Marleys brand. You'll notice that while distinctly Bob-Marley-like, Ziggy has established his own identity. He explores new areas without losing the reggae authenticity expected from any son of Bob Marley. It has a more ska and acoustic feel to it than a lot of Bob's best known music. It's refreshing to find a Reggae cd that scratches the intended itch, you had in mind when you thought to put a Marley Reggae cd on to begin with, yet it doesn't get lost in the shuffle because it Ziggy separates himself from both his father's music as well as the plethera of cookie cutter reggae musicians out there. If you want something reggae, kind of like Bob Marley but not so cliche as just putting on Bob's Greatest Hits and not as vanilla as picking another random reggae band just to hear steel drums, then you should give this a try.

"Into the Groove"
"Love Is My Religion"
"Make Some Music"
"Friend"
"Black Cat"
"Beach in Hawaii"
"A Lifetime"
"Be Free"
"Keep on Dreaming"
"Still the Storm"
"Love Is My Religion" (acoustic)
"Be Free" (Dub)

Re: What Are You Listening To?/Rhi

From Zing's First album, to Robin's Last. The Circle of Life! ;)

81KtbOic6TL_zps071b0248.jpg

50 St. Catherine's Dr. -- CD

Robin Gibb

2014 The Estate of Robin Gibb/Rhino Records

Editorial Reviews
Reprise/Warner/Rhino presents 50 St. Catherine's Drive, the last solo album by the legendary songwriter, performer and founding Bee Gee, Robin Gibb, who died in May 2012. The album was compiled by his wife Dwina Gibb and son RJ Gibb, and includes most of the tracks originally recorded for the album, plus the last tracks written and recorded by Robin Gibb.

Named 50 St. Catherine's Drive the address of the house where Robin was born in Douglas on the Isle of Man the 17-track album is a reflective, sometimes autobiographical collection of songs mainly recorded between 2006 and 2008, but never released. With the addition of some of the final recordings by Robin Gibb, the album is a unique insight into the genius songwriting talent of this much-loved and greatly missed globally renowned musician. The album also includes three tracks co-written with his son RJ Gibb, and was produced by Peter-John Vettese.

The final track on the album, "Sydney," is also the very last track recorded by Robin. As a demo recording, it is not as produced as the other tracks on the album, and Robin's wife, Dwina Gibb, explains the inclusion of the track:

"Robin composed this late at night, end of July 2011, at our home, The Prebendal. He used the bedroom keyboards and then GarageBand on an iPad. He wished to finish this song in a studio with Barry, for a new album he hoped they would record together, but his health prevented this. He missed his twin brother Maurice, who had passed away; but when he closed his eyes, the three young brothers were back in Sydney, Australia, happy together with their dreams and hopes for the future. Their future creations of course affected the world. This fragment of song is poignant, wistful, beautiful and unfinished. It belongs on this album as one of his last works. He cried when he wrote it, and I wept when I heard it."

Track Listings
1. Days Of Wine & Roses
2. Instant Love
3. Alan Freeman Days
4. Wherever You Go
5. I Am The World (New Version)
6. Mother Of Love
7. Anniversary
8. Sorry
9. Cherish
10. Don t Cry Alone
11. Avalanche
12. One Way Love
13. Broken Wings
14. Sanctuary
15. Solid
16. All We Have Is Now
17. Sydney (Demo)

61oAWnpgP%2BL.jpg

81EUySbfrmL_zps2caf46f3.jpg

God's Country -- CD/DVD

George Jones and Friends

2013 Red River Entertainment

Album Notes
His voice has grown a little thicker with age and the many abuses heaped on it over the years, but George Jones is still the undisputed godfather of modern country, as his performance on the title track of this tribute album attests. Artists lining up to pay their respects include Tanya Tucker, whose feisty version of "Window Up Above" is a highlight, Sammy Kershaw, whose melancholy vocals are ideally suited to "He Stopped Loving Her Today," and Garth Brooks, who duets with the master on a spirited "Beer Run." The band sounds like it's having a blast, the production is loose but not messy, and the whole enterprise has an appropriately celebratory air in keeping with Jones's anarchic spirit.

Track Listing
1. God's Country - George Jones
2. She Thinks I Still Care - Vince Gill
3. Walk Through This World with Me - Mark Chesnutt
4. Window Up Above - Tanya Tucker
5. Take Me - Pam Tillis
6. White Lightning - Joe Diffie
7. He Stopped Loving Her Today - Sammy Kershaw
8. Beer Run - Garth Brooks/George Jones
9. Golden Rings / We're Gonna Hold On - Joe Diffie/Shonna Faegan
10. The One I Loved Back Then (Corvette Song) - Tracy Lawrence

Today's work truck music...

51Oodm1VnXL._SS500_.jpg

Just One Night -- 2 CD Set

Eric Clapton

1980/1996 RSO/Polydor Records

Night Moves, July 27, 2001
By Thomas Magnum (NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Just One Night (Audio CD)

Eric Clapton periodically releases live albums and they show the reason why there are few guitarists that walk with him. Sometimes on his studio albums, one loses sight of his extraordinary skills, but he continues to amaze in concert. The passages he reels off in songs like "After Midnight", "Cocaine", "Double Trouble", "Setting Me Up", "Blues Power" and "Rambling On My Mind" are thick, meaty and full of passion and power. Mr. Clapton scored a minor hit with the rollicking live version of Tulsa Time and the album peaked at number two for six weeks.

Disc one

"Tulsa Time" (Danny Flowers) – 4:00
"Early in the Morning" (Traditional) – 7:11
"Lay Down Sally" (Clapton, Marcy Levy, George Terry) – 5:35
"Wonderful Tonight" (Clapton) – 4:42
"If I Don't Be There By Morning" (Bob Dylan, Helena Springs) – 4:26
"Worried Life Blues" (Big Maceo Merriweather) – 8:28
"All Our Past Times" (Clapton, Rick Danko) – 5:00
"After Midnight" (J.J. Cale) – 5:38

Disc two

"Double Trouble" (Otis Rush) – 8:17
"Setting Me Up" (Mark Knopfler) – 4:35
"Blues Power" (Clapton, Leon Russell) – 7:23
"Rambling On My Mind" (Robert Johnson/Traditional) – 8:48
"Cocaine" (J.J. Cale) – 7:39
"Further on Up the Road" (Joe Medwick, Don Robey) – 7:17

prog-collective-the.jpg

I am rocking to this in my hotel room. While not as emotionally fulfilling as work by Spock's Beard, Genesis, Yes, or Transatlantic, intellectually this is an amazing album. As a musician, I am very, very impressed. As a screaming rock fan, I am left wanting.

Dennie said:
Okay, this one is new to me and I really like what I'm hearing... :music-listening:

Congratulations Zing, you should be very proud! :eusa-clap:

cb179b4d-3dfb-4f1c-a23f-b97adec69e1f_zps4f51d03a.jpg

Entry Level -- CD

Roman Angelo

2014 Roman Angelo Records

The highly anticipated debut album from Roman Angelo. With eleven original tracks and one fantastic remake of an '80s classic hit, there's something here for everyone.

12 MP3 Songs in this album (42:49) !
Related styles: Rock: Adult Contemporary, Pop: Pop/Rock, Featuring Piano

People who are interested in Joshua Kadison Michael Bolton Richard Marx should consider this download.

Details:
With inspiration drawn from music's greatest producers and arrangers, Entry Level is a tour de force debut. Roman Angelo clearly had something to prove and he proved it emphatically and unequivocally.

Each track is unique -- from the enigmatic H.I.M. and its seamless transition to the blues-inspired What A Choice, to the incredible remake of the classic Scorpions hit No One Like You -- yet every track is uniquely Roman Angelo. He put the fun in funky with Stop The Tease. He soothes the soul with Buonanotte. He rocks Rhythm & Rhyme. And he filled Grind A Groove with sultry sexy swagger.

Roman's piano influences are noticeable. There's an element of Joshua Kadison in Last Night On Earth, a hint of Donald Fagen with a touch of Stevie Wonder in Stop The Tease and Buonanotte speaks of Brian Culbertson. But nothing is more glaringly obvious than the Elton John influence as the chord structures and progressions in Never Imagined This.

On top of it all, there was an emphasis on sound quality beginning with the very first recording session and ending with the final mastering.

This album has it all and it's got it goin' on.

1 H.I.M.
2 What a Choice
3 You Might Be
4 Last Night On Earth
5 No One Like You
6 Three Years
7 Stop the Tease
8 Never Imagined This
9 Rhythm & Rhyme
10 Grind a Groove
11 You Might Be (2K14)
12 Buonanotte
Great post, Dennie.
Couldn't be better than hearing this from You.

Thank you! ----- And 'Congratulations, Zing' ~ :handgestures-thumbup:

^ I KNOW how much this means! Kudos!!! :handgestures-thumbup: Also, knuckles!

Barbi's best, always! :music-listening:

jenniferhudson-jenniferhudson.jpg

#13...Yes...check it OUT!!! Thank you, ZING. So very special to me! :happy-smileygiantred:

Happy Birthday, Grace! :pray:

51KfRRM1CbL._SS500_.jpg

Missing... Presumed Having A Good Time -- CD

The Notting Hillbillies

1990 Warner Bros. Records

Why don't you have this cd?, August 20, 2001
By Mark D. Smith "mskarmar" (ocean view, de United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Missing Presumed Having Good Time (Audio CD)

Mark Knopfler's beautifully restrained guitar sketches send this traditionalist/blues/folk album over the top to a must have cd. This is a cd that you come back to and it stays in rotation for awhile, but each time you come back to it, you wonder why you haven't listened to it for some time. It is a beautiful Sunday morning,late night working background, candlelight dinner music (ie, anytime is the right time for Notting Hillbillies).Knopfler doesn't sing on every song, but his voice and guitar are what ties the traditional songs together to form a complete musical atmosphere. Go missing, and have a good time listening to this understated, smooth masterpiece.

"Railroad Worksong" – 5:29 (Traditional)
"Bewildered" – 2:37 (Whitcup, Powell)
"Your Own Sweet Way" – 4:32 (Mark Knopfler)
"Run Me Down" – 2:25 (Traditional)
"One Way Gal" – 3:10 (Traditional)
"Blues Stay Away from Me" – 3:50 (A. Delmore, R. Delmore, W. Raney, H. Glover)
"Will You Miss Me" – 3:52 (Steve Phillips)
"Please Baby" – 3:50 (Traditional)
"Weapon of Prayer" – 3:10 (I. & C. Louvin)
"That's Where I Belong" – 2:51 (Brendan Croker)
"Feel Like Going Home" – 4:52 (Charlie Rich)

43969833e7a0db074aee2110.L.jpg

Sunshine On Leith -- CD

The Proclaimers

1988 Chrysalis Records

Sunshine on Leith is The Proclaimers' second and best known album, released in August 1988. The album had three singles, including the title track, "I'm On My Way," and "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)," which also became a hit following its inclusion on the soundtrack to Benny & Joon five years later in 1993. It is about their birthplace, Leith, and the title track Sunshine on Leith is played by Hibernian F.C. at the beginning of matches.

All Songs Written By Craig & Charlie Reid, except where noted.

"I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" – 3:33
"Cap in Hand" – 3:24
"Then I Met You" – 3:50
"My Old Friend the Blues" – 3:06 (Steve Earle)
"Sean" – 3:23
"Sunshine on Leith" – 5:16
"Come on Nature" – 3:34
"I'm on My Way" – 3:45
"What Do You Do?" – 3:38
"It's Saturday Night" – 3:24
"Teardrops" – 2:32
"Oh Jean" – 5:55

Back