• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

some old stuff by Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters

(Chess Records)

41YS7D5CGBL.jpg

1. All Aboard - Muddy Waters
2. Blow Wind Blow
3. Can't Lose What You Ain't Never Had
4. Walkin' Thru The Park
5. I'm Ready
6. Long Distance Call
7. Rockin' Daddy
8. What A Woman!
9. Who's Been Talking?
10. Red Rooster, The (rehearsal)
11. Red Rooster, The
12. Highway 49
13. Do The Do

Today's work truck music.....

514V80XDQKL._SS500_.jpg

Rock and Roll Doctor - A Tribute to Lowell George -- CD

Various Artists

1997 Kaigan Records

Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

As the guitarist, vocalist and primary songwriter for Little Feat, Lowell George was one of the biggest cult heroes of the '70s, creating a body of work that was deeply set within the blues tradition yet fiercely idiosyncratic and weird. It was the kind of music that earns a large cult following, but doesn't guarantee good covers, since its very quirkiness is among its most appealing traits. Basically, it's a question of matching the right artist with the right song, something that happens about half of the time on Rock N Roll Doctor (A Tribute to Lowell George). By the time the tribute record was released in 1998, his "Willin'" had long been established as a classic, the kind of song that could be covered by anyone -- along with "Dixie Chicken," it's one of the rare universal songs in George's catalog -- but Rock N Roll Doctor doesn't include either of those songs, or "Fat Man in the Bathtub." Instead, its 13 tracks are all relatively obscure, known to hardcore fans but not casual listeners, and this album is a record made by hardcore fans for hardcore fans. That doesn't mean it's necessarily all successful. Eddie Money wasn't really meant to sing the title track, and a couple of cuts, ironically including Little Feat's reworking of "Honest Man," are a bit too reverant to his memory (the group erases that negative with a storming "Cold, Cold, Cold," performed as a duet with Bonnie Raitt). But the best songs -- the Bottle Rockets and David Lindley's "Rocket in My Pocket," Jackson Browne's "I've Been the One," Taj Mahal's "Feats Don't Fail Me Now," J.D. Souther's "Roll Um Easy," Allen Toussaint & Leo Nocentelli's "Tow Trains" and especially Randy Newman & Valerie Carter's "Sailing Shoes" -- demonstrate that George's songs can live on, provided that the artists perform them with as much imagination as he wrote them with.

1 Cold Cold Cold Bonnie Raitt, Little Feat 5:03
2 Feets Don't Fail Me Now Taj Mahal 3:18
3 Roll Um Easy J.D. Souther 3:04
4 Rocket in My Pocket Bottle Rockets ... 4:03
Performed by: Bottle Rockets, David Lindley
5 Sailin' Shoes Valerie Carter ... 3:49
Performed by: Valerie Carter, Randy Newman
6 I've Been the One Jackson Browne 2:20
7 Two Trains Allen Toussaint ... 3:38
Performed by: Allen Toussaint, Leo Nocentelli
8 Long Distance Love Merry Clayton ... 3:25
Performed by: Merry Clayton, Keisuke Kuwata
9 Rock & Roll Doctor Eddie Money, Buddaheads 3:28
10 Straight from the Heart Jennifer Warnes ... 3:19
Performed by: Jennifer Warnes, Chris Hillman
11 Honest Man Little Feat 4:52
12 Spanish Moon Merry Clayton ... 4:38
Performed by: Merry Clayton, Ricky Lawson, Phil Perry
13 Trouble Inara George 4:10
14 Lowell's Voice :04

Gentle_Giant_-_The_Power_and_the_Glory.png

The latest float in the parade of 5.1-remixed classic prog albums by Steven Wilson. Wonderful sound, definitely an "inside the band" mix, good for picking out a lot of intricate playing by the different instruments. This was one GG album I didn't have, so I didn't double-dip (and it was less than $13, nice!) I would describe the music as "minstrel-prog", if that makes any sense. The video that accompanies the music is computer-animated artsy-fartsy, but with the lyrics printed along in real-time, I like it.

^--- Interesting, thanks. I have a few of their other albums and like them a lot, will probably get this one too.

588c81b0c8a037ca9007a110.L.jpg

Deguello -- CD

ZZ Top

1979/1990 Warner Bros. Records

Amazon.com

First released in 1979, Deguello was three years in the making. Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill, and Frank Beard had disappeared into the sagebrush to recharge their batteries following their grueling World Texas Tour. They returned with a new antic sense of themselves that first appeared in songs like "Cheap Sunglasses," "She Loves My Automobile," and "Esther Be the One" and came to fruition almost four years later with Eliminator. Deguello forges the last link to the band's early blues-rock years, before they became the sleeker, less threatening entity that graced MTV during the '80s. Tunes like their rendering of David Porter and Isaac Hayes's steamy "I Thank You," the salacious "Hi Fi Mama," and the boastful "I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide" careen on the edges of good taste, but these guys didn't give a *** who they offended as long as they entertained. And, of course, they did entertain legions of fans with their ribald lyrics, off-kilter timing, and Gibbons's daredevil guitar wizardry. But ZZ Top isn't all hard edges and pinup fantasies; the heartbreakingly beautiful intro to their eccentric love song, "Fool for Her Stockings" rivals the lyricism of Jimi Hendrix's "The Wind Cries Mary." --Jaan Uhelszki

Side A

"I Thank You" (Isaac Hayes, David Porter) – 3:23
"She Loves My Automobile" – 2:24
"I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide" – 4:46
"A Fool for Your Stockings" – 4:15
"Manic Mechanic" – 2:37

Side B

"Dust My Broom" (Robert Johnson) – 3:06
"Lowdown in the Street" – 2:49
"Hi Fi Mama" – 2:23
"Cheap Sunglasses" – 4:48
"Esther Be the One" – 3:31

Dennie said:

Deguello -- CD

ZZ Top

Amazon.com

First released in 1979, Deguello was three years in the making. Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill, and Frank Beard had disappeared into the sagebrush to recharge their batteries following their grueling World Texas Tour. They returned with a new antic sense of themselves that first appeared in songs like "Cheap Sunglasses," "She Loves My Automobile," and "Esther Be the One" and came to fruition almost four years later with Eliminator. Deguello forges the last link to the band's early blues-rock years, before they became the sleeker, less threatening entity that graced MTV during the '80s. Tunes like their rendering of David Porter and Isaac Hayes's steamy "I Thank You," the salacious "Hi Fi Mama," and the boastful "I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide" careen on the edges of good taste, but these guys didn't give a *** who they offended as long as they entertained. And, of course, they did entertain legions of fans with their ribald lyrics, off-kilter timing, and Gibbons's daredevil guitar wizardry. But ZZ Top isn't all hard edges and pinup fantasies; the heartbreakingly beautiful intro to their eccentric love song, "Fool for Her Stockings" rivals the lyricism of Jimi Hendrix's "The Wind Cries Mary." --Jaan Uhelszki

Side A

Side B

Yea Baby........

:music-rockout: :banana-dance: :music-rockout: :banana-dance: :music-rockout: :banana-dance:

Today's work truck music...

51PH%2BIb3GLL.jpg

Double Play - Two-fer (No Bass Hit & Major League) -- 2 CD Set

Dave McKenna - Scott Hamilton - Jake Hanna

1979 & 1986/2002 Concord Records

Concord greatly enriched the revival of more traditional forms of jazz in the 1970s and 1980s when they bought together established players like pianist Dave McKenna and drummer Jake Hanna with new kids on the block like tenor Scott Hamilton. This bassless trio recorded No Bass Hit in 1979, then returned for an encore with Major League in 1986. The two-disc set Double Play re-introduces both titles while keeping the baseball metaphor intact. Quiet standards by the Gershwins and Cole Porter trade places with up-tempo delights like Gene Krupa and Roy Eldridge's "Drum Boogie." One might imagine missing the steady beat of the bass, but a cursory listen to "Easy to Love" verifies that this isn't the case. McKenna plays chords with one hand while keeping a steady bass rhythm with the other, assuring a solid beat even when he's playing lead. The band swings with vim and vigor on "Swinging at the Copper Rail" and "It All Depends on You," while offering relaxed versions of "I'm Through With Love" and "This Is All I Ask." Part of the joy of this band is their versatility, with Hamilton and McKenna exchanging lead lines or with Hanna kicking off a song with a snazzy drum roll. Double Play offers an hour and a half of excellent mainstream jazz and serves as a fine addition to the works of all the players involved. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr.

Track Listing

DISC 1: NO BASS HIT:
1. But Not for Me
2. If Dreams Come True
3. Long Ago (And Far Away)
4. Drum Boogie
5. I Love You, Samantha
6. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter
7. Easy to Love
8. Get Happy

DISC 2: MAJOR LEAGUE:
1. Swinging at the Copper Rail
2. Pretty Girl Is Like a Melody, A
3. Cocktails for Two
4. I'm Through With Love
5. Linger Awhile
6. September in the Rain
7. This Is All I Ask
8. It All Depends on You
9. April in Paris

DOUBLE PLAY contains 2 LPs on 2 CDs: NO BASS HIT (1979)/MAJOR LEAGUE (1986).Personnel: Dave McKenna (piano, bass); Scott Hamilton (tenor saxophone); Jake Hanna (drums).Recorded at Normandy Studios, Warren, Rhode Island and Continental Recording, Boston, Massachusetts in March 1979 & May 1986. Originally released on Concord (4097) & Concord (4305). Includes liner notes by Charlie Drago and Ken Franckling.Personnel: Dave McKenna (piano); Scott Hamilton (tenor saxophone); Jake Hanna (drums).Audio Remixers: Wil Morton; Phil Edwards .Recording information: Contintental Recording, Boston, MA (03/1979-05/1986); Normandy Studios, Warren, RI (03/1979-05/1986).

heeman said:
Dennie said:

Deguello -- CD

ZZ Top

Amazon.com

Side A

Side B

Yea Baby........

:music-rockout: :banana-dance: :music-rockout: :banana-dance: :music-rockout: :banana-dance:

I know, Right?! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Jason Aldean.

One of the very few modern crop of country singers that I don't mind. Not hardcore about his stuff, but it ain't half bad.

Happy Saturday everyone...

51lf1bS1dGL.jpg

...at The Kosei Nenkin -- Remastered CD

Milt Jackson

1976/1998 Pablo Records

This double album features vibraphonist Milt Jackson with some of his best musical friends (tenor-saxophonist Teddy Edwards, pianist Cedar Walton, bassist Ray Brown and drummer Billy Higgins) for a typically swinging set of standards. It is particularly welcome to hear the underrated Edwards in this setting and all of the musicians are in top form on such superior songs as "Killer Joe," "St. Thomas," "Bolivia" and "Bye Bye Blackbird." ~ Scott Yanow

Track Listing
1. Killer Joe
2. Get Happy
3. All Blues
4. St. Thomas
5. The Prophet Speaks
6. Bolivia
7. Birk's Works
8. Stolen Moments
9. Bye Bye Blackbird

Personnel: Milt Jackson (vibraphone); Teddy Edwards (tenor saxophone); Cedar Walton (piano, electric piano); Billy Higgins (drums).Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.Recording information: Tokyo, Japan (03/22/1976/03/23/1976).Photographer: Phil Stern.Unknown Contributor Roles: Ray Brown ; Teddy Edwards.

71MeDYdkohL_zpsf071e8c9.jpg

Centerpiece: At the Kosei Nenkin Vol. 2 -- Remastered CD

Milt Jackson

1976/2002 Pablo Records

The original two-record set featuring Milt Jackson at the Kosei Nenkin was reissued in condensed form on an earlier CD; this second volume includes the omitted pair of tracks as well as eight previously unreleased songs. Accompanied by tenor saxophonist Teddy Edwards, pianist Cedar Walton, bassist Ray Brown, and drummer Billy Higgins, the veteran vibraphonist gives his Tokyo audience their yen's worth. The leader dominates the hard-charging opener, "Centerpiece," though Walton and Edwards both get in some choice licks. Charlie Chaplin's "Smile" seems a bit more upbeat than typically performed, but Edwards' soulful saxophone gets the message of its bittersweet lyric across. Other standards, including "Little Girl Blue" and "Someday My Prince Will Come" (the latter song first recorded by Dave Brubeck in 1957, then in 1961 by Miles Davis; liner note writer Ed Michel has it backwards), inspire the musicians to the top of their respective games. Unfortunately, Walton's switch to electric piano gives a rather dated sound to Don Redman's "Cherry" and Kenny Dorham's "Blue Bossa." It goes without saying that anyone who picked up the original two-record set or just the companion volume to this CD should snap it up without delay. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. Centerpiece
2. Holy Land
3. Smile
4. Cherry
5. Little Girl Blue
6. Someday My Prince Will Come
7. Speed Ball
8. Blue Bossa
9. Watch What Happens
10. Organ Grinders Swing

Personnel: Milt Jackson (vibraphone); Teddy Edwards (tenor saxophone); CedarWalton (piano); Ray Brown (acoustic bass); Billy Higgins (drums).Recorded at Kosei Nenkin Hall, Tokyo, Japan on March 22 & 23, 1976.

Today's work truck music...

61uq7J%2ByQ2L._SS400_.jpg

Tears, Lies and Alibis -- CD

Shelby Lynne

2010 Everso Records

Product Description

With Tears, Lies, and Alibis the follow-up to 2008's Just A Little Lovin' and the first release on her own label, Everso Records, Shelby Lynne affirms her position as a visionary, iconoclastic artist who deftly weaves country, soul, rock, blues, pop and folk influences to forge her own unique style. Like Identity Crisis (2003) and Suit Yourself (2005), this sparse, unguarded collection was produced by Lynne, who evokes a live-in-the-studio vibe from a stellar group of musicians.

Born in Quantico, VA, she grew up in Jackson, AL and headed to Nashville at an early age. At 18, Lynne s demos landed her an appearance on TNN s Nashville Now series, which led to a Top 50 duet ( "If I Could Bottle This Up" ) with George Jones and a record deal. Following the release of the critically acclaimed I Am Shelby Lynne in 2000, she won the GRAMMY® for Best New Artist. She made her acting debut in 2005, playing Johnny Cash's mother in the Fox Searchlight motion picture Walk the Line.

1. "Rains Came" 2:25
2. "Why Didn't You Call Me" 1:39
3. "Like a Fool" 3:58
4. "Alibi" 4:25
5. "Something to Be Said" 3:53
6. "Family Tree" 3:45
7. "Loser Dreamer" 4:52
8. "Old #7" 3:32
9. "Old Dog" 5:27
10. "Home Sweet Home" 3:32

924b62e89da022179cee2110.L.jpg

3 Years, 5 Months and 2 Days In The Life Of... -- CD

Arrested Development

1992 Capitol Records

Hip-hop found itself at a crossroads in the early '90s. Its pop dominance was now unquestioned, but in order to progress, the genre needed a stylistic and cultural alternative to the shoot-em-up nihilism and vacuous balladry which threatened to stunt its growth. Enter Arrested Development. With 3 YEARS, 5 MONTHS AND 2 DAYS IN THE LIFE OF..., the group gave hip-hop the intellectual and spiritual shot in the arm which it needed, and in the process, brought the genre to a whole new audience. Turning rap's anger into pride, Arrested Development stressed the beauty and richness of the African and, more specifically, the African-American tradition. Never blindly optimistic, but ever hopeful, 3 YEARS preached self-empowerment and awareness, holding an unflattering mirror up to certain destructive aspects of society.

1. Man's Final Frontier
2. Mama's Always on Stage
3. People Everyday
4. Blues Happy
5. Mr. Wendal
6. Children Play with Earth
7. Raining Revolution
8. Fishin' 4 Religion
9. Give a Man a Fish
10. U Listen
11. Eve of Reality
12. Natural
13. Dawn of the Dreads
14. Tennessee
15. Washed Away
16. People Everyday [Metamorphosis Mix]

e624e03ae7a00d555017c110.L.jpg

More Best of -- CD

Leonard Cohen

1997 Columbia Records

Amazon.com

Canadian poet Leonard Cohen sings with great weight and authority and his lyrics are among the most elegant and scripted of the rock era. This collection is culled from his past three albums (1988's I'm Your Man, 1992's The Future, and 1994's Cohen Live) and shows a man whose voice has deepened to the point of grim, foreboding death with lyrics sharpened to masterful precision. The arrangements are deliberately clunky--the cheese- whiz female back-ups lend unusual tension bordering on parody--but the sentiments are for real. Two previously unreleased cuts, "Never Any Good" and the non-event, "The Great Event" suggest his well is currently dry. But the unrelenting bleakness of "The Future" and uneasy celebration of "Democracy" are among the past decade's most challenging pop works. --Rob O'Connor

"Everybody Knows"
"I'm Your Man"
"Take This Waltz"
"Tower of Song"
"Anthem"
"Democracy"
"The Future"
"Closing Time"
"Dance Me to the End of Love" (live)
"Suzanne" (live)
"Hallelujah" (live)
"Never Any Good"
"The Great Event"

Today's work truck music......

61A9a8DF5JL.jpg

II - Deluxe Edition - Remastered 2 CD Set

Led Zeppelin

2014 Atlantic Records

Second Disc Contains Previously Unreleased Companion Material That Offers Insightful Look at Recording Sessions and Previously Unreleased Track "La La".

Packaging Faithfully Replicates Original Artwork: 16-Page Booklet Included

John Bonham, John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant came together in 1968 as Led Zeppelin. Over the next decade, the band would become one of the most influential, innovative and successful groups in modern music, selling more than 300 million albums worldwide. Their songs are some of the most celebrated in rock 'n' roll history that, to this day, resonate with fans young and old around the globe. Still, no matter how many times you may have listened to their music, you've never heard Led Zeppelin like this before.

Painstakingly remastered from the original master tapes by guitarist Jimmy Page, this CD of Led Zeppelin II sounds utterly amazing. Page spent years on this project with one goal in mind: Making these reissues the end-all-be-all definitive digital editions of his iconic band's records. He has succeeded, and then some. In addition, this special Deluxe Edition features previously unreleased companion audio that will satisfy every fan.

The companion audio for Led Zeppelin II: Deluxe Edition gives fans the first peek into the band's recording sessions, with alternate mixes of five songs from the album, backing tracks to "Thank You" and "Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)," and the previously unreleased track "La La."

The band wrote and recorded nearly all of Led Zeppelin II while touring relentlessly to support its debut album. Incredibly, the album was released just seven months after Led Zeppelin in October of 1969. Led Zeppelin II features some of the band's most beloved tracks including "Ramble On" and "Heartbreaker" as well as "Whole Lotta Love," considered by many to be one of the greatest rock n' roll songs of all time. The album is certified diamond by the RIAA with sales of over 12 million copies.

Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin II: Deluxe Edition Track Listing:

1. "Whole Lotta Love"
2. "What Is And What Should Never Be"
3. "The Lemon Song"
4. "Thank You"
5. "Heartbreaker"
6. "Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)"
7. "Ramble On"
8. "Moby Dick"

Companion Audio
1. "Whole Lotta Love"
2. "What Is And What Should Never Be"
3. "Thank You"
4. "Heartbreaker"
5. "Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)"
6. "Ramble On"
7. "Moby Dick"
8. "La La"

The band consisted of guitarist Jimmy Page, singer Robert Plant, bassist and keyboardist John Paul Jones, and drummer John Bonham.

let-the-healing-begin-500.jpg

Damn, this is a 15-member band!!!

A few days ago I posted a video of a brass section smoking in a desert scene. I got interested in the band, hit Amazon, and got this disc; they have another live album and a new album coming out (although that one is >$25, too steep for a simple CD). Think "Tower of Power" with more of a rock, rather than a funk, beat.
I'm loving it! :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Back