• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Sagacity_-_Saga.jpg

Happy Sunday from Medford, Oregon.....

61hrWUtO9mL._SS500_.jpg

Rural Renewal -- CD

The Crusaders

2003 Verve Records

Everyone should own this record, May 8, 2003
By Jan P. Dennis "Longboard jazzer" (Monument, CO USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Rural Renewal (Audio CD)

I know virtually nothing about the Crusaders. Their kind of music--ultra-sophisticated, roots-based jazz-funk--has fallen outside my musical experience.

My loss.

Let me come straight out and say it. This is one of the most accomplished and satisfying discs I have ever encountered. There's this deep groove coming from some authentic place--Texas, I learned, since I became interested in this group. This is not the kind of music that can be mass produced, predicted, or even successfully copied. It has its own inherent, uncompromising authenticity and authority.

How can it be so precise without being slick? So soulful without being cliché? So sophisticated yet completely natural? I'll tell you. A lifetime of commitment combined with pure genius and musical telepathy set loose, UNLEASHED, given free rein.

Fundamentally, a project like this gains nothing by heavy-duty analysis, so I'm going to quit while I'm ahead. Trust me on this: Just buy it.

Track Listing
1. Rural Renewal
2. Creepin'
3. Heartland
4. Healing Coming On, A
5. Sing the Song
6. Shotgun House Groove
7. Territory, The
8. Greasy Spoon
9. Viva de Funk
10. Lazy Sundays
11. Goin' Home

Back in Sacramento and listening to one of my favorite pianist....

51z2Qg0PZ%2BL._SS400_.jpg

Stardust - The Music of Hoagy Carmichael -- SACD

Bill Charlap

2002/2003 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

With his elegant lyric sensibility and use of classic harmonics, which might best be characterized as equal parts Hank Jones and Bill Evans, pianist Bill Charlap manages to suggest something at once timeless and modern in his approach to jazz piano. And while references to past and present masters of the keyboard abound in this recital of Hoagy Carmichael compositions (as in his tasty appropriation of Evans's tolling intro to "Some Other Time" on a poignant reading of "The Nearness of You," or his interpolation of Red Garland's "Billy Boy" as a prelude to "I Walk with Music"), Charlap manages to evoke the dreamy, unhurried character redolent of so much of Carmichael's music, while maintaining his own probing, crystalline presence. Thus, while a briskly swinging jaunt through "Jubilee" finds him navigating an equestrian set of changes in a round-robin romp with his exceptionally empathetic rhythm mates (bassist Peter Washington and drummer Kenny Washington), his sultry flirting with tenorist Frank Wess on "Blue Orchids" and his lofty harmonic byplay with guitarist Jim Hall reveal a musician wise beyond his years--restrained and relaxed and confident enough not to hide behind a fusillade of empty notes. Such maturity is part of what makes his storytelling accompaniments behind master vocalists Tony Bennett and Shirley Horn--and a breathtakingly slow, humid trio treatment of "Georgia"--so richly rewarding. --Chip Stern

1. Jubilee
2. I Get Along Without You Very Well
3. Rockin' Chair
4. I Walk With Music
5. Two Sleepy People
6. Nearness Of You
7. One Morning In May
8. Blue Orchids
9. Georgia On My Mind
10. Stardust
11. Skylark

51hXfYWEAdL._SS500_.jpg

Getz/Gilberto -- SACD

Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto with Antinio Carlos Jobim and Astrud Gilberto

1964/2002 Verve Records

One of the biggest-selling jazz albums of all time, not to mention bossa nova's finest moment, Getz/Gilberto trumped Jazz Samba by bringing two of bossa nova's greatest innovators -- guitarist/singer Joao Gilberto and composer/pianist Antonio Carlos Jobim -- to New York to record with Stan Getz. The results were magic. Ever since Jazz Samba, the jazz marketplace had been flooded with bossa nova albums, and the overexposure was beginning to make the music seem like a fad. Getz/Gilberto made bossa nova a permanent part of the jazz landscape not just with its unassailable beauty, but with one of the biggest smash hit singles in jazz history -- "The Girl from Ipanema," a Jobim classic sung by Joao's wife, Astrud Gilberto, who had never performed outside of her own home prior to the recording session. Beyond that, most of the Jobim songs recorded here also became standards of the genre: "Corcovado" (which featured another vocal by Astrud), "So Danço Samba," "O Grande Amor," and a new version of "Desafinado." With such uniformly brilliant material, it's no wonder the album was such a success but, even apart from that, the musicians all play with an effortless grace that's arguably the fullest expression of bossa nova's dreamy romanticism ever brought to American listeners. Getz himself has never been more lyrical, and Gilberto and Jobim pull off the harmonic and rhythmic sophistication of the songs with a warm, relaxed charm. This music has nearly universal appeal; it's one of those rare jazz records about which the purist elite and the buying public are in total agreement. Beyond essential. [This edition of the album is presented in SACD format.] ~ Steve Huey

1. "The Girl from Ipanema" Antônio Carlos Jobim, Vinicius de Moraes, Norman Gimbel 5:24
2. "Doralice" Dorival Caymmi, Antonio Almeida 2:46
3. "Pra machucar meu coração" Ary Barroso 5:05
4. "Desafinado" Jobim, Newton Mendonça 4:15
5. "Corcovado" Jobim, Gene Lees 4:16
6. "Só danço samba" Jobim, de Moraes 3:45
7. "O grande amor" Jobim, de Moraes 5:27
8. "Vivo sonhando" Jobim 3:04
9. "The Girl from Ipanema" (45 rpm issue) Jobim, de Moraes, Gimbel 2:54
10. "Corcovado" (45 rpm issue) Jobim, Lees 2:20

Personnel: Stan Getz (tenor saxophone); Joao Gilberto (vocals, guitar); Astrud Gilberto (vocals); Antonio Carlos Jobim (piano); Milton Banana (drums).

Happy Monday everyone.... :banana-dance:

1159630258_JoshuaRedmanWish.jpg

Wish -- CD

Joshua Redman

1993 Warner Bros. Records

Tenor saxophonist Joshua Redman, the son of the magnificent but undervalued Dewey Redman, was touted as one of the young lions of jazz in the 1990s, spearheading a neo-bop revival upon the release of his 1992 debut. The acclaim was quickly followed by charges of hype, but on his second album, Wish, Redman proved worthy of the accolades. This is a surprisingly mature work for such a young player. Redman's soloing is assured, conversant with the blues, and filled with minor surprises. His exchange with guitarist Pat Metheny is superb, and the master rhythm section of Charlie Haden on bass and Billy Higgins on drums affords Redman plenty of rhythmic subtlety to apply his nuanced playing to. --John Swenson

1. Turnaround
2. Soul Dance
3. Make Sure You're Sure
4. Deserving Many, The
5. We Had a Sister
6. Moose the Mooche
7. Tears in Heaven
8. Whittlin'
9. Wish
10. Blues For Pat

Recorded at Power Station and live at The Village Vanguard, New York, New York.

Personnel:
Joshua Redman (tenor saxophone)
Pat Metheny (acoustic & electric guitars)
Charlie Haden (acoustic bass)
Billy Higgins (drums)

956641.jpg

Time and Time Again -- CD

Paul Motian - Bill Frisell - Joe Lovano

2007 ECM Records

By NENAD GEORGIEVSKI, 2008

There's always magic in the air whenever Paul Motian , Bill Frisell and Joe Lovano get together and this album is no exception. A sequel to the brilliant I Have the Room Above Her (ECM, 2005), this is another master painting by these fine artists. Jazz has always favored individual voices and expressionism, and these players have proven themselves undisputed masters on their instruments. But jazz also favors teamwork, something that is definitely evident on Time and Time Again. Several decades on, the musical partnership between drummer Motian, saxophonist Lovano and guitarist Frisell is stronger than ever.

Since no bass or piano is used here, whatever the band tries to express is done in a reflective and calm manner. Contemplation is the key word. The musicians create an alluring aural palette that mesmerizes, mystifies and beguiles. They breathe throughout as one organism, building subtle layers on tracks such as the meditative "Cambodia" and "Light Blue," shifting harmonic constructions seamlessly on the raucous "OneTwo" and wandering lonely towards the spontaneous improvisation "In Remembrance of Things Past." "Wednesday" has some beautiful whirling sax melodies, with Motian's elegant brushes sounding like birds' wings. The overall setting is perfect for Frisell's relaxed, lyric style, his guitar providing beautiful tapestries. All of the compositions have an ethereal and fluid quality, thus giving an impression of almost effortless improvisational mastery.

From the opening of "Cambodia" until the closing title track, the compositions have a strange and creative dreaminess about them. One moment things are sneakily avant-garde, the next, conservatively lyrical. As a collective experiment in spontaneous collaboration, Time and Time Again is a great success.

Track listing

1. Cambodia
2. Wednesday
3. Onetwo
4. Whirlpool
5. In Remembrance of Things Past
6. K.T.
7. This Nearly Was Mine
8. Party Line
9. Light Blue
10. Time and Time Again

_57_zpsabd61b17.jpg

Nostalgia -- Deluxe Edition CD/DVD

Annie Lennox

2014 Blue Note Records

On Nostalgia, Annie Lennox pays tribute to some of the greatest artists of the 20th century – including Hoagy Carmichael, Duke Ellington, George Gershwin, Billie Holiday and Screamin’ Jay Hawkins – and interprets compositions that have moved her, stripping them down to their emotional and musical core and making them her own. This beautiful deluxe package (created by Lennox herself) includes a 36-page bound book with photos and detailed notes on the songs created and lyrics as well as a DVD that features Annie discussing the album and a video of Lennox performing “I Put A Spell On You” live. "To have been given the opportunity to record these classic, timeless songs on such a significant label as Blue Note, representing 75 years of legendary jazz history, is truly a privilege for me," said Annie Lennox.

CD TRACK LISTING:
1 Memphis In June 2:47
2 Georgia On My Mind 3:55
3 I Put a Spell On You 3:32
4 Summertime 5:12
5 I Cover the Waterfront 2:59
6 Strange Fruit 3:46
7 God Bless the Child 3:03
8 You Belong To Me 3:22
9 September In the Rain 2:53
10 I Can Dream, Can’t I? 2:56
11 The Nearness of You 2:32
12 Mood Indigo 5:34

BONUS DVD:
RUN TIME: 22:18
NTSC Region 0
AUDIO: 2.0 PSM Stereo
SUBTITLES: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Brazilian, Spanish

1 Annie Lennox Discusses Nostalgia 18:35
2 I Put A Spell On You (Live Performance) 3:43

T2eC16NsE9swmYlSbBR5m7oeM360_12_zpsce53bf06.jpg

Falling In Love Again -- CD

Joey DeFrancesco Featuring Joe Doggs

2003 Concord Jazz

Is this still young but nearly legendary hipster, who almost singlehandedly rekindled jazz's interest in the Hammond B-3 organ, going to the dogs? The folks at Concord Records hope so, sending out a doggie biscuit with their press materials as DeFrancesco gives one of his favorite East Coast jazz singers, Joe Doggs, a prominent spotlight. Doggs' soulful vocals (praised in the liner notes by Quincy Jones and very reminiscent of the passionate Jimmy Scott experience) and fresh, expansive arrangements are at the cool, swinging heart of the collection's 11 cherished standards. Between vocal passages, the organ great also continues his long tradition of working with top trad jazz names like Pat Martino, tenorman Red Holloway, drummer Jeff Hamilton (complementing DeFrancesco's core trio member Byron Landham), and Kevin Eubanks. "All or Nothing at All" rolls along at eight minutes, with DeFrancesco's B-3 simmering coolly under Doggs' sweet seductive vocals before swinging harder during the playful instrumental break punctuated by Martino's crisp guitar solo. The same basic principles embrace the easy, strutting take on the Gershwins' "But Not for Me," with DeFrancesco's lively soloing giving way to a fiery tenor spotlight by Holloway. Other standards given the royal treatment are "Love for Sale," "Dearly Beloved," and "My Romance." Next time when you hear the term "Dogg style," you may think beyond Snoop Dogg and the more vulgar connotations. ~ Jonathan Widran

Track Listing
1. All or Nothing at All
2. But Not for Me
3. Falling in Love Again
4. Love for Sale
5. Dearly Beloved
6. Can't We Begin Again
7. My Romance
8. Street of Dreams
9. Secret Love
10. Pennies from Heaven
11. Everytime We Say Goodbye

Personnel: Joey DeFrancesco (Hammond b-3 organ); Jeff Hamilton , Byron Landham (drums); Joe Doggs (vocals); Pat Martino, Ron Eschete, Kevin Eubanks (guitar); Ralph Moore, Red Holloway (tenor saxophone); Elijah Davis (trumpet); Ramon Banda (congas).Audio Mixer: Seth Presant.Recording information: Capitol Studio A (05/29/2002-05/30/2002).Photographer: Carlo Tallarico.Arranger: Joe Doggs

PS Joe Doggs is: Joe Pesci from "Goodfellas" fame.

Dennie said:
_57_zpsabd61b17.jpg

Annie Lennox

2014 Blue Note Records

On Nostalgia, Annie Lennox pays tribute to some of the greatest artists of the 20th century – including Hoagy Carmichael, Duke Ellington, George Gershwin, Billie Holiday and Screamin’ Jay Hawkins – and interprets compositions that have moved her, stripping them down to their emotional and musical core and making them her own. This beautiful deluxe package (created by Lennox herself) includes a 36-page bound book with photos and detailed notes on the songs created and lyrics as well as a DVD that features Annie discussing the album and a video of Lennox performing “I Put A Spell On You” live. "To have been given the opportunity to record these classic, timeless songs on such a significant label as Blue Note, representing 75 years of legendary jazz history, is truly a privilege for me," said Annie Lennox.

CD TRACK LISTING:

BONUS DVD:
NTSC Region 0

Is this any good Dennie? I noticed a couple of months ago that it was due for a release......

Sweet, soulful sounds! Kem has such a solid, powerful and full-bodied voice!

I would suggest track #4....A Beautiful World!

Kem-Promise-to-Love.jpg

Today's work truck music....

c00d228348a0a33436472110.L.jpg

Back To Black -- CD

Amy Winehouse

2006 Island Records

From Amazon.co.uk

Amy Winehouse's second album, Back to Black, is one of the finest soul albums, British or otherwise, to come out for years. Frank, her first album, was a sparse and stripped-down affair; Back to Black, meanwhile, is neither of these things. This time around, she's taken her inspiration from some of the classic 1960's girl groups like the Supremes and the Shangri-Las, a sound particularly suited to her textured vocal delivery, while adding a contemporary songwriting sensibility. With the help of producers Mark Ronson and Salaam Remi, "Rehab" becomes a gospel-tinged stomp, while the title track (and album highlight) is a heartbreaking musical tribute to Phil Spector, with it's echoey bass drum, rhythmic piano, chimes, saxophone and close harmonies. Best of all, though, is the fact that Back to Black bucks the current trend in R&B by being unabashedly grown-up in both style and content. Winehouse's lyrics deal with relationships from a grown-up perspective, and are honest, direct and, often, complicated: on "You Know I'm No Good", she's unapologetic about her unfaithfulness. But she can also be witty, as on "Me & Mrs Jones" when she berates a boyfriend with "You made me miss the Slick Rick gig". Back to Black is a refreshingly mature soul album, the best of its kind for years. --Ted Kord

1. "Rehab" Amy Winehouse Mark Ronson 3:35
2. "You Know I'm No Good" Amy Winehouse Mark Ronson 4:17
3. "Me & Mr Jones" Amy Winehouse Salaam Remi 2:33
4. "Just Friends" Amy Winehouse Salaam Remi 3:13
5. "Back to Black" Amy Winehouse, Mark Ronson Mark Ronson 4:01
6. "Love Is a Losing Game" Amy Winehouse Mark Ronson 2:35
7. "Tears Dry on Their Own" Amy Winehouse, Nickolas Ashford, Valerie Simpson Salaam Remi 3:06
8. "Wake Up Alone" Amy Winehouse, Paul O'Duffy Mark Ronson 3:42
9. "Some Unholy War" Amy Winehouse Salaam Remi 2:22
10. "He Can Only Hold Her" Amy Winehouse, Richard Poindexter, Robert Poindexter Salaam Remi 2:46
11. "Addicted" Amy Winehouse Mark Ronson 2:46

heeman said:
Dennie said:
_57_zpsabd61b17.jpg

Annie Lennox

2014 Blue Note Records

CD TRACK LISTING:

BONUS DVD:
NTSC Region 0

Is this any good Dennie? I noticed a couple of months ago that it was due for a release......

Hey Keith, I think it is fantastic! But I'm a huge "Annie" and "The Great American Songbook" fan. Together they are amazing. I haven't watched the DVD yet, but the book tells why she recorded each song and to me is priceless.

Dennie

3626319f8da079ab3cee6110.L.jpg

Look What I Did! - Anthology -- 2 CD Box Set

Joe Walsh

1995 MCA Records

Joe Walsh at his best!, January 6, 2004
By Gerry Lehn (Lawrenceburg, Indiana) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: Look What I Did (Anthology) (Audio CD)

As with most anthology's, there's bound to be a few tracks missing. We all have our favorites, which sometimes miss the cut. "Confessor" is inexplicably absent, and there's no "Eagles" stuff here. All of that would require a third CD. No, J.W. is the number one attraction in all of these songs, as the collection highlights Walsh's tremendous, unmistakable guitar work, and lyrical creativity. One of the bright spots includes a full length version of "The Bomber". This 2 CD collection also includes a simple song - by - song review, in booklet form, by Joe himself, that is quite interesting, and adds a bit of explanation to many of the tunes.
If you're a new Joe Walsh fan, this collection is a perfect place to start, and if you're an aging boomer (like myself), these tunes will bring back memories, and possibly introduce you to a few worthwhile bits you overlooked. I'm a tough grader, and this is a "5".

Disc 1

1. "Tuning, Part 1" (James Fox, Bert DeCoteaux, Bill Szymczyk) – 0:40
2. "Take A Look Around" – 5:55
3. "Funk #48" (Walsh, Fox, Tom Kriss) – 2:46
4. "The Bomber (Original Complete Version)" (Walsh, Dale Peters, Fox, Vince Guaraldi, Ravel) – 7:02
5. "Tend My Garden" – 5:29
6. "Funk #49" (Walsh, Peters, Fox) – 3:56
7. "Ashes, The Rain & I" (Walsh, Peters) – 4:57
8. "Walk Away" – 3:33
9. "It's All the Same" – 4:11
10. "Midnight Man" – 3:29
11. "Here We Go" – 4:58
12. "Midnight Visitor" – 3:09
13. "Mother Says" – 5:53
14. "Turn To Stone" (Walsh, Terry Trebandt) – 5:15
15. "Comin' Down" – 1:52
16. "Meadows" – 4:37
17. "Rocky Mountain Way" (Walsh, Joe Vitale, Kenny Passarelli) – 5:40

Disc 2

1. "Welcome To The Club" – 5:09
2. "All Night Laundry Mat Blues" – 1:00
3. "County Fair" – 6:44
4. "Help Me Thru The Night" – 3:37
5. "Life's Been Good" – 8:03
6. "Over And Over" – 4:49
7. "All Night Long" – 3:32
8. "A Life Of Illusion" – 3:30
9. "Theme From Island Weirdos" (Walsh, Vitale) – 3:20
10. "I Can Play That Rock & Roll" – 3:02
11. "I.L.B.T.'s" (Walsh, Vitale) – 2:52
12. "Space Age Whiz Kids" (Walsh, Vitale) – 3:41
13. "Rosewood Bitters" (Michael Stanley) – 3:28
14. "Shut Up" – 3:15
15. "Decades" – 12:13
16. "Song For A Dying Planet" – 2:01
17. "Ordinary Average Guy [Live]" – 6:03

Dennie said:

3626319f8da079ab3cee6110.L.jpg

Look What I Did! - Anthology -- 2 CD Box Set

Joe Walsh

1995 MCA Records

Joe Walsh at his best!, January 6, 2004
By Gerry Lehn (Lawrenceburg, Indiana) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: Look What I Did (Anthology) (Audio CD)

As with most anthology's, there's bound to be a few tracks missing. We all have our favorites, which sometimes miss the cut. "Confessor" is inexplicably absent, and there's no "Eagles" stuff here. All of that would require a third CD. No, J.W. is the number one attraction in all of these songs, as the collection highlights Walsh's tremendous, unmistakable guitar work, and lyrical creativity. One of the bright spots includes a full length version of "The Bomber". This 2 CD collection also includes a simple song - by - song review, in booklet form, by Joe himself, that is quite interesting, and adds a bit of explanation to many of the tunes.
If you're a new Joe Walsh fan, this collection is a perfect place to start, and if you're an aging boomer (like myself), these tunes will bring back memories, and possibly introduce you to a few worthwhile bits you overlooked. I'm a tough grader, and this is a "5".

Disc 1

1. "Tuning, Part 1" (James Fox, Bert DeCoteaux, Bill Szymczyk) – 0:40
2. "Take A Look Around" – 5:55
3. "Funk #48" (Walsh, Fox, Tom Kriss) – 2:46
4. "The Bomber (Original Complete Version)" (Walsh, Dale Peters, Fox, Vince Guaraldi, Ravel) – 7:02
5. "Tend My Garden" – 5:29
6. "Funk #49" (Walsh, Peters, Fox) – 3:56
7. "Ashes, The Rain & I" (Walsh, Peters) – 4:57
8. "Walk Away" – 3:33
9. "It's All the Same" – 4:11
10. "Midnight Man" – 3:29
11. "Here We Go" – 4:58
12. "Midnight Visitor" – 3:09
13. "Mother Says" – 5:53
14. "Turn To Stone" (Walsh, Terry Trebandt) – 5:15
15. "Comin' Down" – 1:52
16. "Meadows" – 4:37
17. "Rocky Mountain Way" (Walsh, Joe Vitale, Kenny Passarelli) – 5:40

Disc 2

1. "Welcome To The Club" – 5:09
2. "All Night Laundry Mat Blues" – 1:00
3. "County Fair" – 6:44
4. "Help Me Thru The Night" – 3:37
5. "Life's Been Good" – 8:03
6. "Over And Over" – 4:49
7. "All Night Long" – 3:32
8. "A Life Of Illusion" – 3:30
9. "Theme From Island Weirdos" (Walsh, Vitale) – 3:20
10. "I Can Play That Rock & Roll" – 3:02
11. "I.L.B.T.'s" (Walsh, Vitale) – 2:52
12. "Space Age Whiz Kids" (Walsh, Vitale) – 3:41
13. "Rosewood Bitters" (Michael Stanley) – 3:28
14. "Shut Up" – 3:15
15. "Decades" – 12:13
16. "Song For A Dying Planet" – 2:01
17. "Ordinary Average Guy [Live]" – 6:03

:text-bravo: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :text-bravo:

I love Joe!! :happy-smileygiantred:

Today's work truck music...

eed5228348a02173a490d010.L.jpg

Pop Pop -- CD

Rickie Lee Jones

1991 Geffen Records

Rickie Lee Jones's almost perfect Record, September 18, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Pop Pop (Audio CD)

If I had to choose a favorite Rickie Lee Jones record, it would be a difficult choice but Pop Pop might just be my final decision. From the first chords on an acoustic nylon string guitar on the first track you know you're in for a treat. More than any other of her albums, Pop Pop captures the magic that Rickie Lee Jones delivers on stage if you catch her in a small venue. Jazz legends Charlie Haden on bass, Joe Henderson on Sax and Robben Ford on acoustic guitar offer up jaw dropping performances throughout Pop Pop. When it comes to subtle jazz instrumentation and pitch perfect vocals, it doesn't get much better than this. Add to that, the gorgeous quality of the recording and you have the basic ingredients for a near perfect pop/jazz album that seems to have rarely left my cd player for almost a decade. Stand out tracks include: My One and Only Love, Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most, Jimi Hendrix's Up From The Skies, Second Time Around, and Bye Bye Blackbird.

Track listing

1. My One and Only Love
2. Spring Can Really Hang You up the Most
3. Hi-Lili Hi-Lo
4. Up From the Skies
5. Second Time Around
6. Dat Dere
7. I'll Be Seeing You
8. Bye Bye Blackbird
9. Ballad of the Sad Young Men, The
10. I Won't Grow Up
11. Love Junkyard
12. Comin' Back to Me

Bonus Info From Rickie Lee Jones:

"The album's got a kind of old flavor about it. There's no electric music, no keyboard and no drums. A couple of songs have snare and a bongo, but no
drum kit. Real intimate. It's real nice listening. [The album's] just what I wanted to do, what I like to listen to. All standards."

"I can't remember when I decided on just guitar and bass. I was thinking about it for a couple of years, because I had practiced 'Valentine' with a guitar and bass when I lived in France and said 'Oh, that's eally beautiful and different without a keyboard.' I think I got the idea then and it was growing on me. [That sparer sound] is what I grew up with. My uncle and my dad used to play together all the time: they would sing those standards with the guitar so for me it's the most natural sounding."

"It's not jazz in the way that people who like jazz like jazz. It's my own way of looking at it. The album is old, it's very special."
(Rickie Lee Jones)

Happy Saturday everyone..... :banana-rock:

51kYxmiFiKL.jpg

The Art and Soul of... -- 3 CD Set

Houston Person

2008 High Note Records

While he's never been an innovator, saxophonist Houston Person is one of the players maintaining the grand tradition of the huge-toned, unabashedly romantic style of tenor saxophone, continuing in the vein of giants like Gene Ammons, Illinois Jacquet, and, of course, Coleman Hawkins. The triple-disc set, ART AND SOUL, is a celebration of Person's enduring tenure with the High Note label and emphasizes his commitment to the Great American Songbook as typified by composers like Cole Porter, Jerome Kern, and Duke Ellington. ART AND SOUL is all standards and highlights Person in duo (with Ron Carter!), quartet, and quintet contexts. Two of the jazz mainstream's finest drummers, Grady Tate and Kenny Washington, are on hand while on piano are time-honored veterans Richard Wyands and Stan Hope and the younger Bill Charlap. ART is a literal treasure-trove for jazz devotees and would make a fine gift for interested novices.

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. You Do Something to Me
2. I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance
3. You're a Sweetheart
4. Maybe You'll Be There
5. All the Things You Are
6. You're My Everything
7. Skylark
8. I Only Have Eyes for You
9. Everything I Have Is Yours
10. Wonder Why

DISC 2:
1. Do Nothing Till You Hear from Me
2. Here's That Rainy Day
3. Isn't It Romantic?
4. Fools Rush In
5. It Had to Be You
6. But Beautiful
7. For All We Know
8. Blue Moon
9. Bewitched
10. Don't Get Around Much Anymore

DISC 3:
1. Sentimental Journey
2. Where Are You?
3. There's a Small Hotel
4. Tenderly
5. Be My Love
6. It Might as Well Be Spring
7. My Funny Valentine
8. Gentle Rain
9. Mack the Knife
10. The Very Thought of You

_12_zps23087a8a.jpg

Used To Be Duke -- Remastered CD

Johnny Hodges

1954/1991 Verve Records

A superaltive remaster of the innovative American saxophone player's popular mid 50s album; includes "Warm Valley" and "Sweet As Bear Meat." 2003, Japanese import.Johnny Hodges, one of Duke Ellington's best-known right-hand men, took a hiatus from the Duke's orchestra in the mid-1950s. USED TO BE DUKE was recorded during this time, and contains all the smooth alto saxophone magic for which Hodges is known. Flanked by a fine group of musicians and a four-strong horn line-up (including, interestingly, John Coltrane), Hodges plays it relatively straight, treating standards and originals with his characteristic warmth. There's plenty of swing and sweet melodic playing here, and the 2009 reissue, which features bonus tracks, will delight any Hodges fan.

Track Listing
1. Used To Be Duke
2. On the Sunny Side of the Street
3. Sweet As Bear Meat
4. Madam Butterfly
5. Warm Valley
6. Autumn In New York
7. Sweet Lorraine
8. Time On My Hands
9. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
10. If You Were
11. Poor Butterfly
12. All of Me*
13. Burgundy Walk*
14. Skokiaan*

*Not on Lp

Johnny Hodges & His Orchestra: Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); John Coltrane (tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (baritone saxophone); Harold "Shorty" Baker (trumpet); Lawrence Brown (trombone); Jimmy Hamilton (clarinet); Richard Powell, Call Cobbs (piano); John Williams (bass); Louis Bellson (drums).Recorded in Los Angeles, California on July 2 and August 5, 1954. Includes liner notes by Cliff Preiss.

516HOeipXmL.jpg

Feelin' Good: Live In The Studio -- CD

Terry Gibbs

2005 Mack Ave. Records

.Vibraphonist Terry Gibbs invited select guest audience members into a studio for this recording, giving it the club date feel and interaction that usually pumps up the excitement quotient. Gibbs (age 80) also has added to his handpicked band the very exciting organist Joey DeFrancesco, adding more of the chitlin' circuit feel to the proceedings. With guitarist Dan Faehnle and tenor saxophonist Eric Alexander, this elevates the session further to a legitimate classic soul-jazz groove date. While vibes have been used before in this setting, and Gibbs is not the first, it is not typical in contemporary times. Many originals written by Gibbs, a few standards done differently, and the noticeable symmetry between the participants take these recordings to an even different plateau. The band works well together, and except for the sheer amplified volume level on DeFrancesco's organ, no one player dominates. There's some super hot hard bop here, starting with the soul-jazz flavored opener "Smoke 'Em Up" in a similar groove to "Got My Mojo Working," the 250 m.p.h. "Hot Rod" closer with its swirling, circular melody, and "Hey Jim," similar to Charlie Parker's fervent "Cool Blues" that organist Jimmy Smith did so well. "St. Louis Blues" is introduced by drummer Gerry Gibbs (Terry's son) in a bompity bomp Gene Krupa style, then swings out. The Brazilian classic of Antonio Carlos Jobim "Wave" is stripped of its bossa nova melody and replaced with a jazz swing, while conversely the bossa rhythm replaces the swing of "Sugar." The immortal Erroll Garner ballad "Misty" has its familiar time doubled, and trimmed in Latin dress via the conga playing of Ray Armando with all of the front line instrumentalists democratically playing a portion of the melody. Blues is never far from the equation, in a feature for DeFrancesco on the neat and clean take of "Things Ain't What They Used to Be," the relaxed and slow pace of "And That's Why They Call It the Blues," but the out of place, anxious solo from Gibbs during the vibe led version of "This Masquerade" has been done far too often (and boringly at that) to make this listless cover stand out. Feelin' Good is generally an apt title on this collection of tunes from a true all-star group of players, particularly the extraordinary Joey DeFrancesco, the excellent Eric Alexander, and the underrated and still improving Dan Faehnle. ~ Michael G. Nastos

Track Listing
1. Smoke 'Em Up
2. Things Ain't What They Used to Be
3. Misty
4. This Masquerade
5. And That's Why They Call It the Blues
6. St. Louis Blues
7. Wave
8. Waltz Rubiot
9. Hey Jim
10. What's New
11. Sugar
12. Hot Rod

Personnel: Terry Gibbs (vibraphone); Terry Gibbs; Joey DeFrancesco (Hammond b-3 organ); Dan Faehnle (guitar); Eric Alexander (saxophone); Gerry Gibbs (drums); Ray Armando (congas).Liner Note Author: Scott Yanow.

51qaWpiUfsL.jpg

Kaleidoscope -- CD

Benny Green

1997 Blue Note Records

Benny Green proves himself to be a seasoned composer on this collection of originals. "The Sexy Mexy" nods to Horace Silver with some crisp unison guitar from Russell Malone. The upbeat "Central Park South" features Stanley Turrentine, while the pianist's hypnotic "Thursday Lullaby" shows off his considerable chops. Ron Carter and Lewis Nash round out the capable rhythm section. ~ Ken Dryden

Track Listing
1. Kaleidoscope - (Take 1)
2. Thursday's Lullaby
3. The Sexy Mexy
4. Patience
5. Central Park South
6. My Girl Bill
7. Apricot
8. You're My Melody
9. Kaleidoscope - (Take 2)

Personnel: Benny Green (piano); Antonio Hart (alto saxophone); Stanley Turrentine (tenor saxophone); Russell Malone (guitar); Ron Carter (bass); Lewis Nash (drums).Recorded at Clinton Studios, New York, New York on June 5-6, 1996. Includes liner notes by Benny Green.

Back