• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

Today's work truck music...

613UoIC17UL.jpg

Bridge Over Troubled Water -- CD

Simon & Garfunkel

1970/2001 Columbia Legacy

Amazon.com essential recording

No one can say Simon & Garfunkel went out with a whimper. The popular duo's 1970 swan song produced four hit singles and won six Grammy awards, including Record, Album, and Song of the Year. An involving mix of sweeping epics ("The Boxer," the title track) and breezy throwaways (a live cover of the Everly Brothers' "Bye Bye Love," the rock & roll trifle "Baby Driver"), Bridge was one of the most popular albums of its era. What's particularly striking about this collection is how brightly lesser-acclaimed songs like "So Long Frank Lloyd Wright" and the gorgeous "The Only Living Boy in New York" shine. (The 2001 reissue adds a pair of demos to the original work, including the traditional "Feuilles-O.")--Steven Stolder

Side 1

"Bridge Over Troubled Water" – 4:52
Recorded: November 9, 1969 [7]
"El Condor Pasa (If I Could)" (Daniel Alomía Robles, English lyrics by Paul Simon, arranged by Jorge Milchberg) – 3:06
Recorded: November 2, 1969
"Cecilia" – 2:55
Recorded: November 2, 1969
"Keep the Customer Satisfied" – 2:33
Recorded: October 27, 1969
"So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright" – 3:41
Recorded: October 28, 1969

Side 2

"The Boxer" – 5:08
Recorded: November 16, 1968
"Baby Driver" – 3:14
Recorded: November 19, 1968
"The Only Living Boy in New York" – 3:58
Recorded: November 15, 1969
"Why Don't You Write Me" – 2:45
Recorded: June 13, 1969
"Bye Bye Love" (Felice and Boudleaux Bryant) (live recording from Ames, Iowa) – 2:55
Recorded: November 14, 1969
"Song for the Asking" – 1:39
Recorded: November 1, 1969

Bonus tracks (2001 CD reissue)

"Feuilles-O" [Demo] (Traditional) – 1:45
Recorded: August 11, 1969
"Bridge over Troubled Water" [Demo Take 6] – 4:46
Recorded: August 13, 1969

Someone played this a few pages ago (probably Dennie) and surprised me, a Joni album I never heard of?!? Especially from her Golden period!? Brian Blade, Wayne Shorter, Mike Landau, Likey!

1311413463_front.jpg

:music-listening:

Happy Saturday everyone.... :banana-dance:

6936c060ada0406c1ae8b110.L.jpg

Magic Time -- CD

Van Morrison

2005 Geffen Records

Amazon.com
Like a human infusion of chamomile tea, hearing Van Morrison's voice has the effect of instantly soothing even the most stressed listener. That said, some of his releases have been so mellow that they muted the '60s soul influences that had been a part of Van's appeal. Not so with Magic Time, a wonderful balance of groove and smoothness, with a "live off the floor" feel evident throughout the disc. Right from the start "Stranded" shows Van at his crooner best--relaxed, present, and joyful. "Celtic New Year" comes next with a very Astral Weeks feel, leading one to believe that this disc might be sedentary through and through… until "Keep Mediocrity at Bay" kicks in, a feisty blues romp proving that though in his sixties, Morrison still has the sass of his best previous days. Morrison's cover of Sinatra's brassy "This Love of Mine" and Perry Como's "I'm Confessin'" are full of cheek and charm. Morrison-as-producer has chosen stellar horn sections that elevate the music from good to great and come from an obvious deep love of classic blues and soul. He's a lover and a fighter (the disc has two references to his disdain of the music industry: "They Sold Me Out" and "Carry On Regardless"), but ultimately true to his own musical vision. This destined-to-be-classic release will please a wide variety of his fans. --Denise Sheppard

All songs by Van Morrison (unless noted otherwise)

1. "Stranded" – 5:34
2. "Celtic New Year" – 6:10
3. "Keep Mediocrity at Bay" – 3:44
4. "Evening Train" – 2:48
5. "This Love of Mine" (Sol Parker, Henry W. Sanicola, Frank Sinatra) – 2:42
6. "I'm Confessin'" (Doc Daughtery, Al Neiburg, Ellis Reynolds) – 4:29
7. "Just Like Greta" – 6:25
8. "Gypsy in My Soul" – 4:04
9. "Lonely and Blue" ("Black and Blue" with altered lyrics) (Harry Brooks, Andy Razaf, Fats Waller) – 3:41
10. "The Lion This Time" – 4:56
11. "Magic Time" – 5:06
12. "They Sold Me Out" – 3:11
13. "Carry On Regardless" – 5:54

61D-OwpZT0L.jpg

Abraxas -- DTS (5.1) CD

Santana

1970/2000 Columbia/HDS (High Definition Surround)

ABRAXAS, the second album by the original (and arguably most powerful) Santana line-up, proved the band's commercial breakthrough. The album's contains two of the group's biggest hits, "Black Magic Woman," a slinky, smooth-edged interpretation of the song written by Fleetwood Mac's Peter Green, and their take on Tito Puente's "Oye Como Va," which injects Carlos Santana's stinging guitar leads into a surging salsa groove. The band's unique, genre-blurring approach makes these singles--and everything else here--unlike anything that had been heard before.The opener, "Singing Winds, Crying Beasts," showcases Carlos Santana's passionate, soulful six-string mastery over a drifting, psychedelic backdrop. The album ranges in feel, encompassing furiously propulsive jams ("Se A Cabo"), low-key Brazilian grooves ("Samba Para Ti"), and jazzy instrumentals ("Incident at Neshabur"). All the elements that made Santana's debut dazzling--roiling, polyrhythmic percussion, dense, pancultural influences, virtuoso guitar work--are here--sharpened and painted with the rich, heady sound of late-'60s San Francisco (Santana was just as exploratory and innovative as their hometown cohorts the Grateful Dead and the Jefferson Airplane). ABRAXAS remains a seminal Latin-rock release, and one of the undisputed classics of the era.

Track Listing
1. Crying Beasts Singing Winds
2. Black Magic Woman / Gypsy Queen
3. Oye Como Va - (Spanish)
4. Incident at Neshabur
5. Se a Cabo - (Spanish)
6. Mother's Daughter
7. Samba Pa Ti
8. Hope You're Feeling Better
9. El Nicoya

This is a DTS CD, which features DTS 5.1 Surround Sound technology and is playable on a DTS-capable 5.1 Surround Sound system.Santana: Carlos Santana (vocals, guitar); Gregg Rolie (vocals, keyboards); Dave Brown (bass instrument); Michael Shrieve (drums); Jos Chepit¢ Areas (congas, timbales); Mike Carabello (congas).Additional personnel: Rico Reyes (vocals, percussion); Alberto Gianquinto (piano).

:text-goodpost:

Thank you Dennie, another one I didn't know existed. Boughted!! :banana-rock: :banana-rock: :banana-rock:

51IqoRRIhnL._SS500_.jpg

Basie In London -- Remastered CD

Count Basie Orchestra

1957/1988 Verve Records

IN LONDON captures the Count Basie Orchestra of the mid '50s, during a period of great excitement. Basie and company play their usual repertoire including "Jumpin' at the Woodside," "Shiny Stockings," and "Corner Pocket," while vocalist Joe Williams adds a distinctly bluesy touch to "Alright, Okay You Win," "Roll 'em Pete," and others. Moreover, as an added bonus, Verve records includes four previously unreleased tracks.Recorded after the bebop revolution--and featuring some of its main practitioners, such as Thad Jones--IN LONDON represents considerable change for Basie. Lyrical blues solos, ala Sweets Edison and Lester Young, are now replaced with flashier, albeit virtuoso-bop-inflected, improvisations. Thankfully though, this inevitable modernization never interferes with Basie's basic "swing" philosophy. Indeed, swing's main tenets are still observed here, with great care. Basie's stride roots are also still heard on tracks such as "Blee, Blop Blues" and "Plymouth Rock." The only mystery that surrounds this release is its title--this concert was recorded in Gothenburg, Sweden.

Track Listing
1. Jumpin' at the Woodside
2. Shiny Stockings
3. How High the Moon
4. Nails
5. Flute Juice
6. One O'Clock Jump
7. Alright, Okay, You Win
8. Roll 'Em Pete
9. Comeback, The
10. Blues Backstage
11. Corner Pocket
12. Blee Blop Blues
13. Yesterdays - (previously unreleased)
14. Untitled - (previously unreleased)
15. Sixteen Men Swinging - (previously unreleased)
16. Plymouth Rock - (previously unreleased)

Personnel: Count Basie (piano); Joe Williams (vocals); Reunald Jones, Thad Jones, Joe Newman, Wendall Culley (trumpet); Benny Powell, Henry Coker, Matthew Gee (trombone); Marshall Royal, Bill Graham, Frank Foster, Frank Wess, Charlie Fowlkes (reeds); Freddie Green (guitar); Eddie Jones (bass); Sonny Payne (drums).Recorded live in Gothenburg, Sweden, September 7, 1956.

Hey Botch,

You are welcome on both accounts. I did not know about Joni's "Taming The Tiger" until my used music dealer gave it to me for Christmas. It ranks among her best, IMHO.

The Santana "DTS" mix (did you get the DTS mix?) is a lot of fun. A very unique surround experience of a classic album. :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

71ZK83rDaxL.jpg

Sinatra At The Sands - In Concert -- Remastered CD

Frank Sinatra with Count Basie and His Orchestra

1966/1998 Reprise Records

Amazon.com

Pop this on, close your eyes, and you'll be instantly transported back to the Vegas of 1966. The Sands Hotel was still the "class joint" where Sinatra and his Rat Pack buddies partied, held court, and occasionally even performed. This priceless document (Sinatra's first official live album) captures the Chairman of the Board in performance mode, ably supported by conductor-arranger Quincy Jones and Count Basie and his Orchestra. The set list comprises 16 Sinatra classics--including "Come Fly with Me," "One for My Baby (And One More for the Road)," "It Was a Very Good Year," and "Angel Eyes"--along with two Basie instrumentals and some seriously un-P.C. stage banter. Essential. --Dan Epstein

"Come Fly with Me" (Sammy Cahn, Jimmy Van Heusen) – 3:45
"I've Got a Crush on You" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) – 2:42
"I've Got You Under My Skin" (Cole Porter) – 3:43
"The Shadow of Your Smile" (Johnny Mandel, Paul Francis Webster) – 2:31
"Street of Dreams" (Victor Young, Sam M. Lewis) – 2:16
"One for My Baby (and One More for the Road)" (Harold Arlen, Johnny Mercer) – 4:40
"Fly Me to the Moon" (Bart Howard) – 2:50
"One O'Clock Jump" (Instrumental) (Count Basie) – 0:53
"The Tea Break" (Sinatra Monologue) – 11:48
"You Make Me Feel So Young" (Mack Gordon, Josef Myrow) – 3:21
"All of Me" (Instrumental) (Gerald Marks, Seymour Simons) – 2:56
"The September of My Years" (Cahn, Van Heusen) – 2:57
"Luck Be a Lady" (Frank Loesser) – 4:40 (This bonus track was only available on the remastered 1998 CD and 2003 DVD-Audio releases. It was not part of any other edition, including the original LP as well as the current [2010] in-print CD)
"Get Me to the Church on Time" (Frederick Loewe, Alan Jay Lerner) – 2:22
"It Was a Very Good Year" (Ervin Drake) – 4:01
"Don't Worry 'Bout Me" (Rube Bloom, Ted Koehler) – 3:18
"Makin' Whoopee" (Walter Donaldson, Gus Kahn) – 4:24
"Where or When" (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart) – 2:46
"Angel Eyes" (Earl Brent, Matt Dennis) – 3:26
"My Kind of Town" (Cahn, Van Heusen) – 3:04
"A Few Last Words" (Sinatra Monologue) – 2:30
"My Kind of Town" (Reprise) – 1:00

Frank Sinatra - vocals
Count Basie - piano
Bill Miller - piano

The Count Basie Orchestra

Quincy Jones - arranger, conductor
Harry "Sweets" Edison - trumpets
Al Aarons
Sonny Cohn
Wallace Davenport
Phil Guilbeau
Al Grey - trombones
Henderson Chambers
Grover Mitchell
Bill Hughes
Marshal Royal - alto saxophone
Bobby Plater
Eric Dixon - tenor saxophone
Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis
Charlie Fowlkes - baritone saxophone
Freddie Green - guitar
Norman Keenan - double bass
Sonny Payne - drums

41QYqRAKX9L._SS400_.jpg

Keely Swings Basie Style... with Strings -- CD

Keely Smith

2002 Concord Jazz

Keely Swings Basie Style...With Strings follows 2000's Swing, Swing, Swing and 2001's Grammy-nominated Keely Sings Sinatra, capping off a trilogy of lovingly performed classic jazz. Smith's backward glance, however, isn't just pure nostalgia. Keely Swings Basie Style, for instance, begins with Count Basie-style arrangements and then applies them to a number of songs not necessarily associated with the bandleader. The addition of strings provides another distinctive layer. Smith begins with "April in Paris" and brings her warm vocals to bear on a number of other classics, including "Happiness Is a Thing Called Joe" and "How High the Moon." There's a particularly lovely take on "Mood Indigo" and a bouncy version of "Cherokee (Indian Love Song)." Smith balances these standards with spry contemporary fare like "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)" and "Can't Take My Eyes off of You." The closing number offers something of a surprise, beginning with "The House I Live In" and then flowing into "Star Spangled Banner," ending the album on a patriotic note. The combination of tasteful arrangements, good song choices, and Smith's pleasing vocals guarantees that fans will warmly embrace Keely Swings Basie Style. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr.

Track Listing
1. Intro-Voice Over: April in Paris
2. April in Paris
3. You Go to My Head
4. How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)
5. Happiness Is a Thing Called Joe
6. Lover
7. How High the Moon
8. I Can't Stop Loving You
9. Cherokee (Indian Love Song)
10. Mood Indigo
11. Some of These Days
12. Love For Sale
13. One For My Baby (And One More For the Road)
14. Can't Take My Eyes Off of You
15. St. Louis Blues
16. Take the 'A' Train
17. The House I Live In / Star Spangled Banner
18. Tag-Voice Over: April in Paris

Dennie said:
The Santana "DTS" mix (did you get the DTS mix?) is a lot of fun. A very unique surround experience of a classic album.

I got a used SACD, it didn't show the DTS moniker (I don't even know what that is). :think:

One of our favorites from the past...we are enjoying so much this evening! Full bellies and awesome wine. Rock on and enjoy!! :romance-heartstiny:

Enterthedru-1998.jpg

Happy Sunday everyone... :banana-rock:

41VVo2JoIeL.jpg

Believe -- DVD-Audio

Aaron Neville

2002 Silverline/EMI Gospel

BELIEVE was nominated for the 2004 Grammy Award for Best Traditional Soul Gospel Album.Aaron Neville's is an angel's voice contained within the body of a dockworker (which he once was), and it turns out to be perfect for gospel. BELIEVE is the New Orleans native's second full-length release of religious material. Teaming with noted Muscle Shoals session cat Barry Beckett, Neville delivers an interesting slate of material that finds him rejoicing in his faith without becoming preachy. Original material is sprinkled throughout, including the smooth, acoustic-guitar-driven "Let Go," and "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" with its robust brass arrangements. Otherwise, Neville is priming the pump for other people's material. Among the notable songs included are a casual reading of Pete Seeger's "If I Had a Hammer," a vibrant remake of the Edwin Hawkins Singers 1969 gospel-pop crossover smash "Oh Happy Day," and a punchy cover of Hank Williams's "I Saw The Light" featuring The Dirty Dozen Brass Band. Other highlights include a reading of Dylan's "Gotta Serve Somebody," (whose original version also featured Beckett.), a goosebump-inducing "Ava Maria," and a picture-perfect "A Change Is Gonna Come.

Track Listings
1. Steer Me Right
2. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
3. I Believe
4. If I Had A Hammer
5. Gotta Serve Somebody
6. Oh Happy Day
7. Ave Maria
8. Let Go
9. What A Friend We Have In Jesus
10. A Change Is Gonna Come
11. I Saw The Light (featuring The Dirty Dozen Brass Band)
12. Going Home
13. Amazing Grace
14. With God On Our Side (Bonus Track)

Personnel: Aaron Neville (vocals); Wardell Quezengue (conductor); Blue Miller (acoustic guitar); Dean Parks, Shane Theriot (electric guitar); Judith Armistead, Burton Callahan (violin); Lauren Lemmier, Richard Woehrle (viola); Jonathan Gerhardt (cello); Jim Horn (alto saxophone, baritone saxophone); Sam Levine (tenor saxophone); Steve patrick (trumpet, flugelhorn); Chris Dunn (trombone); The Dirty Dozen Brass Band (horns); John Jarvis (piano, keyboards); Jim Cox (Wurlitzer piano, Hammond B-3 organ); Michael Rhodes (bass); Eddie Bayers (drums); Mark Beckett (percussion); Alvin Chea, Jim Gilstrap, Phil Perry, Darryl Phinnessee, Maxi Anderson, Alex Brown, Jacquelyn Gouche, Sandtown Childrens Choir (background vocals).

51vsiynXziL._SS500_.jpg

Accentuate The Positive -- CD

Al Jarreau

2004 Verve Records

Amazon.com

Al Jarreau's style bridges Jon Hendricks's vocalese and Bobby McFerrin's incredible flights of fancy. This CD, with Diana Krall's rhythm section--guitarist Anthony Wilson, drummer Peter Erskine, and bassist Christian McBride--should please fans of albums like Jarreau's phenomenal 1977 live LP, Look to the Rainbow. Duke Ellington's "I'm Beginning to See the Light" is illuminated by Larry Goldings's down-home Hammond organ, while Lionel Hampton's "Midnight Sun" bops with hip-hop-friendly rim shots. Jarreau's tenor tones curve with saxophonic dexterity and pulse with percussive precision, especially on Dizzy Gillespie's "Groovin' High," where he slyly drops in a few words from the old show tune, "Whispering." --Eugene Holley, Jr.

"Cold Duck" (Harris, Jarreau)
"The Nearness of You" (Carmichael, Washington)
"I'm Beginning to See the Light" (Ellington, George, Hodges, James)
"My Foolish Heart" (Washington, Young)
"Midnight Sun" (Hampton, Burke & Mercer)
"Accentuate the Positive" (Arlen, Mercer)
"Betty Bebop's Song" (Jarreau, Ravel)
"Waltz for Debby" (Evans, Lees)
"Groovin' High" (Gillespie, Jarreau)
"Lotus" (Grolnick, Jarreau)
"Scootcha Booty" (Ferrante, Jarreau)

Al Jarreau
Keith Anderson – saxophone
Larry Williams – keyboards and arrangements
Russell Ferrante – piano
Larry Goldings – Hammond B-3
Tollak Ollestad – harmonica
Anthony Wilson – guitar
Christian McBride – bass
Dave Carpenter – bass
Mark Simmons – drums
Peter Erskine – drums
Luis Conte – percussion

51BTmY2pqOL.jpg

Live In America -- 2 CD Box Set

Neil Diamond

1994 Columbia Records

He's still got it..., March 3, 2005
By R. Cusick "drumz2006" (Norwood, MA United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Live in America (Audio CD)

Yes, I am going to defend this cd. Seems like everyone on here trashes it. I have Gold, Hot August Night 1+2, and while this isn't as good as those; it's not as bad as everyone claims it to be. For a sixty year old, Neil can still sing. He's a little more gravily at times, but his energy makes up for that. The collection of songs is great. He does a lot of his older, upbeat tunes. I bought this on Amazon used for $2! For this price, how can you not afford to give it a chance?
Track Listing

DISC 1:

1. America
2. Hello Again
3. Kentucky Woman
4. You Got to Me
5. Cherry, Cherry
6. I'm a Believer
7. Sweet Caroline
8. Love on the Rocks
9. Hooked on the Memory of You
10. Lady Oh
11. Beautiful Noise
12. Play Me
13. Up on the Roof
14. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
15. River Deep, Mountain High
16. I (Who Have Nothing)

DISC 2:

1. Missa
2. Soolaimon
3. Holly Holy
4. And the Grass Won't Pay No Mind
5. You Don't Bring Me Flowers
6. September Morn'
7. Havah Nagila
8. Solitary Man
9. Red, Red Wine
10. Song Sung Blue
11. Forever in Blue Jeans
12. Heartlight
13. Cracklin' Rosie
14. I Am...I Said
15. Crunchy Granola Suite
16. Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show

Today's work truck music....

06b5225b9da08c6f54723110.L.jpg

Diva -- CD

Annie Lennox

1992 Arista Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Although traces of her synthpop roots certainly showed through, Annie Lennox's solo debut, Diva, made it abundantly clear that her new material would veer away from gender-bending robotics of the early Eurythmics sound and continue toward the more emotionally grounded soul of later releases. On Diva, Lennox infuses each song with tenderly perceptive lyrics, hypnotic rhythms, and irresistibly soulful wailings. Her arrangements are clean and simple, utilizing bare instrumentation and sometimes-languid chord work. The singles "Walking on Broken Glass," "Little Bird," and "Why" became radio mainstays, while gems such as the Eastern-influenced dream ballad "Primitive," the hauntingly autobiographical pop-lament "Legend in My Living Room," and the cheerfully satirical "Keep Young and Beautiful" gave the album a plump maturity. --Sally Weinbach

1. "Why" 4:53
2. "Walking on Broken Glass" 4:12
3. "Precious" 5:08
4. "Legend in My Living Room" (Lennox, Peter-John Vettese) 3:45
5. "Cold" 4:20
6. "Money Can't Buy It" 4:58
7. "Little Bird" 4:48
8. "Primitive" 4:16
9. "Stay by Me" 6:26
10. "The Gift" (Lennox, The Blue Nile) 4:52
11. "Keep Young and Beautiful" (Al Dubin, Harry Warren) (CD bonus track) 2:17

r.jpg

Live In London -- 2 CD Set

Acoustic Alchemy

2014 OnSide Records

Amazon Editorial Reviews
2014 two CD live release from the British instrumental/Smooth Jazz band. Acoustic Alchemy have spent over a quarter century making music and in that time they have not only received critical acclaim for their albums (including three Grammy nominations), but also have built a reputation for being one of the most exciting live bands in the business. For the last decade the band lineup has been made up of Greg Carmichael on nylon guitar, Miles Gilderdale on steel string acoustic and electric guitars, Fred White on keyboards and the powerhouse rhythm section of Greg Grainger on drums and his brother Gary Grainger on bass. The band were so happy with these live recordings that they quickly decided that they wanted to have as much of the show on the record as possible and so this will be Acoustic Alchemy's first ever double album, featuring songs from their most recent studio release Roseland along with classic tracks from the band's 16 album catalog.

Disc: 1
1. Homecoming
2. Overnight Sleeper
3. Angel of the South
4. Jamaica Heartbeat
5. Roseland
6. One for Shorty
7. Passion Play
8. Ariane
9. Band Introductions
10. Sand On Her Toes

Disc: 2
1. Marrakesh
2. Stone Circle
3. A Kinder Loving
4. No Messin'
5. The Beautiful Game
6. Tuff Puzzle
7. Templemeads
8. Lazeez

Greg Carmichael, Nylon Guitar - Miles Gilderdale, Steel and Electric Guitar - Fred White, Keyboards - Gary Grainger, Bass - Greg Grainger, drums.

Today's work truck music....

51jeBlPrliL._SS400_.jpg

By The Time I Get To Phoenix -- Remastered CD

Glen Campbell

1967/2001 Capitol Cornerstone Series

Forgotten Grammy Winner, July 1, 2001
By Dave Blank "parabolamcfeeney" (West Hollywood, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: By the Time I Get to Phoenix (Audio CD)

Of the 43 collections that have won the Grammy for Album of the Year, this is probably the most underrated. While most people remember the phenomenally successful title cut (written by Jimmy Webb), the album itself seems to be all but forgotten. While other higher profile albums such as the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour and Simon & Garfunkel's Bookends were also nominated the same year (1968), it was this unpretentious catalogue of songs that won the coveted prize. It was certainly Glen Campbell's finest studio recording, and he sings each song with his unique brand of conviction and wistfulness. While the showpiece is the much-loved ballad "By the Time I Get to Phoenix", it is the lesser known songs such as "I'll Be Lucky Someday", "Tomorrow Never Comes" and "You're Young and You'll Forget" that give this album its resonance and poignancy. Most of the songs are laced with tinges of regret, but this album is anything but a downer, primarily because of the bittersweet yearning of Campbell's vocals and the spare but melodic arrangements (by, among others, Al de Lory and Jimmie Haskell). When talking about music in that turbulent year of 1968, one readily thinks of Hendrix, the Doors, the Stones, the Beatles (of course), Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding, even music from The Graduate and Hair. Glen Campbell wouldn't be placed on most people's list of memorable music of that era. True, he wasn't a rock artist, but his contribution to music is just as important---providing a bridge (and, some might argue, a balm) between the easy listening (and more sentimental leanings) of contemporaries such as Bobby Goldsboro and O.C. Smith, and the rebellious, harder edges of the rock music so prevalent then. No question, Campbell was beloved by his music industry peers (or at least those who were Grammy voters) because of his soothing voice, his lack of cynicism and his cleancut image. Seen from that perspective and that he was a well-respected session player (playing with the Beach Boys and Sinatra, among his impressive credits) who also had the strong backing of the Nashville contingent of voters, it seems justifiable, in retrospect, that this collection won Album of the Year. That alone should be reason enough for Capitol to re-release this album on CD. It's also excellent on its own terms---even if it is not as well remembered as Carole King's Tapestry, Simon and Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water or Sgt. Pepper's--three other Grammy winners from that era that are undeniablly considered classics, and all easily found on CD even now.

Side 1:

"By the Time I Get to Phoenix" (Jimmy Webb) - 2:42
"Homeward Bound" (Paul Simon) - 2:37
"Tomorrow Never Comes" (Ernest Tubb, Johnny Bond) -2:27
"Cold December (In Your Heart" (Alex Hassilev) - 2:27
"My Baby's Gone" (Hazel Houser) - 2:50
"Back in the Race" (Glen Campbell, Vic Dana) - 1:56

Side 2:

"Hey Little One" (Dorsey Burnette, Barry De Vorzon) - 2:30
"Bad Seed" (Bill Anderson) - 2:18
"I'll Be Lucky Someday" (Lee Martin, Dick McBride, Bob Wills) - 2:24
"You're Young and You'll Forget" (Jerry Reed) - 2:15
"Love is a Lonesome River" (Glen Campbell, Kella Christian) - 2:05

My daughter has me listening to two newer metal bands: Black Veil Brides and Falling In Reverse. Good stuff.

Back