• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

An_Evening_With_Belafonte_1960_RCA_Victor.jpg

An Evening With Belafonte

Harry Belafonte

1957/1960 RCA Victor

Today's work truck music...

712KxbDIaPL_zps457df1da.jpg

Grace Potter & The Nocturnals

2010 Hollywood Records

For five years, Grace Potter & Nocturnals have been hammering it out on stages large and small, playing 200 shows a year, and impressing audiences in the U.S. They've recorded two previous albums -- 2005's rightfully acclaimed Nothing But the Water, and their Hollywood Records debut This Is Somewhere. The sophomore effort failed musically; its songs were unfocused and sloppy, and its production lethargic. Three years later, with two new bandmembers in bassist Catherine Popper and rhythm guitarist Benny Turco, and the aid of super producer Mark Batson (Jay-Z, Snoop Dog, Beyonc‚, Alicia Keys), the Nocturnals sound like a band reinvigorated. This self-titled set is very polished -- from cover photo to last note it's designed to scale the Billboard charts -- yet it offers a representative showcase of the band's strengths. And while it doesn't come off as spontaneously as their live gigs, it's not supposed to. The glammed-up Nocturnals are still a tough, few-frills rock band, and despite his pedigree, Batson -- who co-wrote six of 13 songs with Potter here -- gets that. "Paris" kicks off the set. It's introduced by a mean grunt from Potter, and a twin guitar blast. With Scott Tournett's lead guitar slicing through Matt Burr's drums, and Popper's funky bassline, the singer -- with power and pitch -- lays down the brazen lyric: "If I was a man, I'd make my move/If I was a blade I'd shave you smooth . . . " On "Medicine," another rocker, Potter stakes claim to her man though she's competing with a mysterious seductress. The riff and refrain are instantly memorable. The dual guitar leads are balanced by her B-3, and the tune's bluesy feel is seductive. "Hot Summer Night" is a nasty roots jam with Potter beating the hell out of an upright piano over trashy guitars and handclaps … la the Faces. "Low Road," influenced deeply by Memphis soul, puts Potter's stellar voice, the meld of B-3, guitars, and rhythm section inside the bellybone of the listener, and it's sexy as hell. The midtempo numbers -- the soul-drenched "That Phone" and the blazing "Only Love," with its infectious bassline and distorted guitars -- work to fine effect. In sum, this the most representative outing from Grace Potter & the Nocturnals to date, and displays, however slickly, a heady quotient of strut, crackle, and groove. ~ Thom Jurek

Track Listing
1. Paris (Ooh La La)
2. Oasis
3. Medicine
4. Goodbye Kiss
5. Tiny Light
6. Colors
7. Only Love
8. Money
9. One Short Night
10. Low Road
11. That Phone
12. Hot Summer Night
13. Things I Never Needed
14. [CD-ROM Track]

6604828fd7a0165d331f0110.L.jpg

Face The Music -- CD

Electric Light Orchestra

1975 Jet Records

Classic ELO!, August 20, 2009
By Scott D. Bell "Geek_Dad" (Lakewood, CO United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Face the Music (Audio CD)

In my opinion this is one of the best ELO albums (showing my age) ever. This CD includes the classic "Fire on High", which is one of my all time favorite songs. This CD also includes some extras at the end which are kinda fun. When I played the CD for my kids, with the wierd 70's experimental beginning, my teenage kids thought I had lost my mind. This CD is great in my family room stereo, blasting out of my car stereo, or rocking on my MP3 player.

All songs written and composed by Jeff Lynne.
Side one
No. Title Length
1. "Fire On High" 5:29
2. "Waterfall" 4:27
3. "Evil Woman" 4:17
4. "Nightrider" 4:22
Side two
No. Title Length
5. "Poker" 3:31
6. "Strange Magic" 4:29
7. "Down Home Town" 3:54
8. "One Summer Dream" 5:47

d7a9225b9da026781fbac010.L.jpg

Retrospective - The Best of Buffalo Springfield -- CD

Buffalo Springfield

1969/1990 ATCO/Elektra Records

Amazon.com

Only a handful of bands have made a greater impact with fewer recordings than the short-lived Buffalo Springfield. Their history is told in the titles of their three albums: 1967's eponymous debut was followed by the peak-performance Again later that year, which was followed by 1968's Last Time Around. While their entire recorded career encompasses a mere two years, the Stephen Stills-Neil Young-Richie Furay-led quintet produced a number of '60s rock classics. Stills chipped in "For What It's Worth" and "Bluebird"; Furay's "Kind Woman" is one of the touchstones of country-rock; and Young fired off the likes of the raucous "Mr. Soul," the gentle "I Am a Child," the ambitious "Broken Arrow," and the breathtakingly pretty "Expecting to Fly." They're all on this 12-song overview, a suitable option for anyone who isn't up to stocking up on the entire catalog. --Steven Stolder

Side One:

"For What It's Worth" (Stills) – 2:37
Recorded December 5, 1966, Columbia Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone. Running time incorrectly listed on the album's cover as 3:00.
"Mr. Soul" (Young) – 2:35
Recorded April 4, 1967. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Bass: Bruce Palmer.
"Sit Down I Think I Love You" (Stills) – 2:30
Recorded August 1966, Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone.
"Kind Woman" (Furay) – 4:10
Recorded February-March 6, 1968, Atlantic Studios, New York City & Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Richie Furay. Bass: Jim Messina. Producer: Jim Messina.
"Bluebird" (Stills) – 4:28
Recorded April 8, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bobby West
"On the Way Home" (Young) – 2:25
Recorded November 15-December 13, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Richie Furay. Bass: Bruce Palmer.

Side Two:

"Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing" (Young) – 3:26
Recorded July 18, 1966, Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Richie Furay. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone.
"Broken Arrow" (Young) – 6:13
Recorded August 25 & September 5-18, 1967, Columbia Recording Studios & Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Bass: Bruce Palmer.
"Rock and Roll Woman" (Stills) – 2:44
Recorded June 22, August 8 & October 8, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Rhythm guitar: Jim Fielder. Bass: Bruce Palmer.
"I Am a Child" (Young) – 2:15
Recorded February 5, 1968, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Bass: Gary Marker. Producer: Jim Messina.
"Go and Say Goodbye" (Stills) – 2:19
Recorded July 18, 1966, Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Stephen Stills. Bass: Bruce Palmer. Producers: Charles Green and Brian Stone.
"Expecting to Fly" (Young)– 3:39
Recorded May 6, 1967, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California. Lead vocal: Neil Young. Arrangement: Jack Nitzsche. Note: Neil Young is the only member of the group who appears on this recording.

ed1b228348a07f2e8dbae010.L.jpg

Neil Young Unplugged -- CD

Neil Young

1993 Reprise Records

Acoustic Young, May 8, 2001

By Thomas Magnum (NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE)

This review is from: Unplugged (Audio CD)

Neil Young was unplugged before the MTV show become a phenomenon, so it was only natural that he make an appearance on the show. As usual, Mr. Young mixes up his set, playing new songs like "From Hank To Hendrix" and the sweet "Harvest Moon" to old chestnuts like the Buffalo Springfield's "Mr. Soul" and "The Old Laughing Lady" from his first solo album. While many of the songs like "The Needle & The Damage Done" & the brilliant "Pocahontas" were acoustic to begin with, there are songs that go under some radical transformations. "Like A Hurricane" was a fuzz guitar heavy, sonic blast, but here it is propelled by only Mr. Young's voice and an eerie pump organ. The results are outstanding. "Transformer Man" is from his electronic album, Trans, and the vocals were distorted by a vocoder. In it's acoustic form, it takes on a weird perspective with its futuristic lyrics. "Helpless" is absolutely gorgeous with lush harmonies led by old Crazy Horse member and current E Streeter, Nils Lofgren. Unplugged is one of the better album taken from the show and shows Neil Young's chameleon like ability to transform songs into different styles.

All tracks composed by Neil Young

1. "The Old Laughing Lady" – 5:15
2. "Mr. Soul" – 3:54
3. "World on a String" – 3:02
4. "Pocahontas" – 5:06
5. "Stringman" (previously unreleased) – 4:01
6. "Like a Hurricane" – 4:44
7. "The Needle and the Damage Done" – 2:52
8. "Helpless" – 5:48
9. "Harvest Moon" – 5:20
10. "Transformer Man" – 3:36
11. "Unknown Legend" – 4:47