• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

517gelmLAyL._SS500_.jpg

Rio Revisited -- CD

Antonio Carlos Jobim with Gal Costa

1987/2008 Verve Records

This live date, recorded in 1987, features Brazilian music icon Antonio Carlos Jobim paired with Tropicalia diva Gal Costa. Jobim's gravelly voice might sound a bit worse for wear compared with his recordings from the `60s and early `70s, but ... Full DescriptionRIO REVISITED still pleases with its offerings of classic Jobim compositions such as "One Note Samba," "Desafinado," and "Wave." Accompaniment from a large ensemble, and the contributions of the dynamic Costa, make this an engaging listen through and through. The set was remastered and reissued in 2008.

1. One Note Samba [Live] - Gal Costa, Hendricks, Jon
2. Desafinado [Live] - Gal Costa, Cavanaugh, Jesse
3. Agua de Beber [Live] - Gal Costa, DeMoraes, Vinicius
4. Dindi [Live] - Gal Costa, Jobim, Antonio Carl
5. Wave [Live] - Gal Costa, Jobim, Antonio Carl
6. Chega de Saudade [Live] - Gal Costa, DeMoraes, Vinicius
7. Two Kites [Live] - Gal Costa, Jobim, Antonio Carl
8. Samba Do Soho [Live] - Gal Costa, Bastos, Ronaldo
9. Sabi? [Live] - Gal Costa, Gimbel, Norman
10. Samba Do Avi?o [Live] - Gal Costa, DeMoraes, Vinicius
11. ?guas de Mar?o (Waters of March) [Live] - Gal Costa, Jobim, Antonio Carl
12. Corcovado [Live] - Gal Costa, Jobim, Antonio Carl

heeman said:
51gILPM6WFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is a must see!

The video quality is excellent..........the audio is excellent (unbelievable on the 5.1, I am so siked that we did this upgrade).

Billy and the band were just incredible!

Shea Stadium was packed!!

(I am a little biased after growing up on Long Island, NY and seeing the Mets and Jets play at Shea many times)
Having a 5.1 system brings a whole new meaning to Concert DVD's! :text-bravo:

I'm glad your having fun and enjoying your new system! :eusa-clap:

So much music....so little time! :music-listening:

Dennie

1048469.jpg

Tanto Tempo -- CD

Bebel Gilberto

2008 ZIRIGUIBOOM BRASIL

A marvelously subtle and lovely work, July 6, 2000
By Karenatasha "karenatasha" (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Tanto Tempo (Audio CD)

Bebel Gilberto is a true child of Brazilian music royalty, and she is keeping the dynasty going in excellent style. Daughter of bossa nova genius Joao Gilberto and Miucha--a fine singer in her own right, though less well known in the United States--and niece of the brilliant, unequalled Chico Buarque, she has inherited an absolutely beautiful voice and superb songwriting ability. Her CD succeeds in marrying the traditional rhythms and hypnotic melodies of bossa nova with a fresh, modern sound, thanks to producer Suba, and guests ranging from Amon Tobin to percussionist extraordinaire Carlinhos Brown. Sung in both English and Portuguese, the music ranges from soft and romantic to high-energy samba to delightfully jazzy. For me, a special treat is her wonderful cover of Chico's gorgeous and sexy "Samba e Amor"--but everything's great.

1. "Samba da Benção" - 4:47
2. "August Day Song" - 4:37
3. "Tanto Tempo" - 3:01
4. "Sem Contenção" - 3:10
5. "Mais Feliz" - 4:17
6. "Alguém" - 4:04
7. "So Nice (Summer Samba)" - 3:32
8. "Lonely" - 2:24
9. "Bananeira" - 3:26
10. "Samba e Amor" - 3:28
11. "Close your Eyes" - 4:14

51DR4A3X26L._SS500_.jpg

Winds Of Brazil -- CD

Various Artists

2006 Adventure Music

Product Description

Recorded live in November 2004 at SESC Pinheiros Theater, San Paulo, with some of Brazil's finest wind musicians. Almost none of the arrangements on this CD have ever been heard; they were made for Brazilian classics and for works composed by the participating musicians themselves. These musicians are revered for their solos and for the way they weave into the diverse ensembles of woodwind and brass.

Featured musicians include: Teco Cardoso, Altamiro Carrilho, Vinicius Dorin, Mauricio Einhorn, Joatan Nascimento, Vittor Santos and more.

1. Firm and Smooth (Firme e Suave) - Mauro Rodrigues
2. Steel in the Piston (Ferro no Piston) - Joatan Nascimento
3. Affectionate (Carinhoso) - Mauricio Einhorn
4. High Tide (Maré Cheia) - Paulo Moura
5. So Much Song (Tanto Canto) - Lea Freire
6. The March of the Sounds (A Marcha dos Sons) - Mane Silveira
7. Amorous Flower (Flor Amorosa) - Altamiro Carrilho
8. Morning of Carnaval (Manhã de Carnaval) - Vittor Santos
9. Kenoma (April 21, 1500) - Teco Cardoso
10. Mulatas, etc, and All (Mulatas, etc. e tal) - Paulo Moura
11. Sunset Star (Estrela do Pôr do Sol) - Vinicius Dorin

608a62e89da027d80f216110.L.jpg

Antonio Carlos Jobim and Friends -- CD

Various Artists

1996 Verve Records

Review
by Richard S. Ginell

Jobim made his last Brazilian concert appearance -- and the penultimate one of his life -- at this warm, star-studded affair in which American jazz musicians jetted down to the Free Jazz Festival in São Paulo to pay effusive homage.

The miracle is how easily the jazzers were able to capture the yearning essence of Jobim's idiom without really compromising their own distinct styles. Thus, Joe Henderson welds his trademark unpredictable flurries into the cool tenor sax bossa nova tradition, Shirley Horn does "Once I Loved" in her own inimitable manner that matches the mood of the song perfectly, Jon Hendricks' scatting fits the samba like a glove. The pianists go somewhat outside the idiom -- Herbie Hancock's modern complexity, Gonzalo Rubalcaba's technical fireworks laced with Afro-Cuban salsa -- but they stay within their orbits around the Jobim sun.

The composer himself only appears on the last four tracks -- he sounds weary and ill -- yet he radiates his gentle warmth and spirit throughout the evening.

Track listing

1. Prelude Medley: Inutil Paisagem / Triste / Esperanca Perdida
2. Ela E Carioca :: She's A Carioca
3. Boy From Ipanema, The (The Girl From Ipanema) :: Garota De Ipanema
4. Once I Loved :: Amor Em Paz
5. O Grande Amor
6. No More Blues :: Chega De Saudade
7. Agua de Beber
8. Felicidade, A
9. Se Todos Fossem Iguais a Voce :: Someone To Light Up My Life
10. Luiza
11. Wave
12. Caminhos Cruzados
13. Girl From Ipanema, The (Finale) :: Garota De Ipanema (Finale)

Personnel: Antonio Carlos Jobim, Shirley Horn (vocals, piano); Gal Costa, Jon Hendricks (vocals); Joe Henderson (tenor saxophone); Herbie Hancock (piano, keyboards); Gonzalo Rubalcaba (piano); Oscar Castro-Neves, Paulo Jobim (guitar); Ron Carter (bass); Harvey Mason (drums); Alex Acuna (percussion).

51TogU-qvxL._SS500_.jpg

Eliane Elias Plays Jobim -- CD

Eliane Elias

1990 Blue Note Records

Amazon.com

The Brazilian pianist Eliane Elias is an ideal interpreter for the music of her compatriot Antonio Carlos Jobim. She's attuned to both its melodic and rhythmic nuances, and she's a potent improviser, able to develop Jobim's often graceful melodies and put her own stamp on them. Despite her Brazilian roots, Elias's approach is often more jazz oriented than bossa nova, and she provides a fuller portrait of Jobim than is usual. The songs stretch from the '50s to the '80s, and she thoroughly recasts some of the best-known tunes from the bossa nova period, like "Desafinado." Bassist Eddie Gomez, who first encouraged Elias's move to the U.S., is a full partner in the music, an aggressive and virtuosic presence providing constant stimulation with fleet counter lines, while drummer Jack DeJohnette and percussionist Nana Vasconcelos combine to create a flowing, percussive backdrop. Elias's singing on "Don't Ever Go Away" looks ahead to her later vocal approach on the CD Sings Jobim. --Stuart Broomer

1. Waters of March (Aguas de Março) - Eliane Elias, DeMoraes, Vinicius
2. Sabiá - Eliane Elias, Buarque, Chico
3. Passarim - Eliane Elias, Jobim, Antonio Carl
4. Don't Ever Go Away - Eliane Elias, Duran, Dolores
5. Desafinado - Eliane Elias, Jobim, Antonio Carl
6. Angela - Eliane Elias, Jobim, Antonio Carl
7. Children's Games - Eliane Elias, Jobim, Antonio Carl
8. Dindi - Eliane Elias, Gilbert, Ray
9. Zingaro - Eliane Elias, Buarque, Chico
10. One Note Samba - Eliane Elias, Hendricks, Jon
11. Don't Ever Go Away [Por Causa de Voce] - Eliane Elias, Duran, Dolores

61V4E%2Bf3t3L._SS500_.jpg

Afro Brasil -- CD

Afro Brasil

1992 Verve Records

A good, somewhat incohesive collection, November 5, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Afro Brasil (Audio CD)

I'm not sure that I would categorize the music represented on this disc as entirely "Afro-Brazilian," but it's still a good collection. It actually belongs to an excellent Verve series of four, of which this album is my least favorite. That being said, I would still give it four stars and probably would have tacked on a 1/2 if there was the option. What this album really contains is a mix of some "traditional" northeastern, Bahian artists and some work from MPB (Brazilian rock/pop) artists which touch upon Afro-Brazilian musical themes. That is not to say that the songs aren't great. The Maria Bethania songs are among my favorites represented, and both she and Caetano Veloso are indeed from Bahia. Alcione and Margareth Menezes are both pop artists, but provide better material here than they typically produce. Some of the songs are a little tedious, but overall it's worth buying. I would recommend the companion in the series "Nordeste Brasil" which is one of my all time favorite compilations.

1. Uma História de Ifá
2. Guerra No Mar
3. Bença Negro
4. Male Debale
5. Um Canto de Afoxé Para O Cloco de Ilê (Ilê Ayê)
6. Odilê, Odilá
7. O Bondade (Abaixo a Força Bruta)
8. Ilê Aiyê
9. Ifá, Um Canto Pra Subir
10. Tropicana
11. Maracatu Colonial [Instrumental]
12. Two Naira Fifty Kobo
13. Oleré Camará
14. Salve As Folhas
15. Eh! Bahia
16. Ijexá (Filhos de Gandhi)
17. Grito de Guerra
18. Mafestadde Real

Now, to continue with my Brazilian theme......
no.gif

d2f4793509a0919d804b7110.L.jpg

The Road To Ensenada -- CD

Lyle Lovett

1996 MCA Records

Amazon.com essential recording

After the more experimental themes and misanthropic bit players populating his prior album, I Love Everybody, the songs on this superb 1996 set return to the more affable, earnest, but still knotty balance established by Lyle Lovett on his first four albums. He spins amiable yarns about his preferred headgear ("Don't Touch My Hat") and larger-than-life love objects (the one-eyed "Fiona"), sways hilariously through the backfired seductions of the samba-paced "Her First Mistake," and swings buoyantly through "That's Right (You're Not from Texas)," then ropes the equally droll Randy Newman into a tongue-in-cheek duet on "Long Tall Texan." In between, he sneaks a fresh string of dark love songs ("Private Conversation," "I Can't Love You Anymore") that sustain his formidable standards. Forget the forced issue of his putative ties to "new country": Lovett is simply one of the best American singer-songwriters extant, whether playing raconteur, philosopher king, or wounded romantic. --Sam Sutherland

All songs composed by Lyle Lovett except as noted.

1. "Don't Touch My Hat" – 3:47
2. "Her First Mistake" – 6:28
3. "Fiona" – 4:09
4. "That's Right (You're Not from Texas)" (Lovett, Ramsey, Rogers) – 4:54
5. "Who Loves You Better" – 4:46
6. "Private Conversation" – 4:32
7. "Promises" – 3:07
8. "It Ought To Be Easier" – 4:11
9. "I Can't Love You Anymore" – 3:14
10. "Long Tall Texan" (Henry Strzelecki) – 3:27
11. "Christmas Morning" – 3:43
12. "The Road To Ensenada" – 10:12
13. "The Girl in the Corner" -- hidden at the end of track 12, following 1:30 of silence

51eyxHf2GAL._SS500_.jpg

To Tulsa And Back -- CD

J.J. Cale

2004 Sanctuary Records

Amazon.com

While some artists feel the need to reinvent themselves on a regular basis or to throw together records chockfull of guest stars in order to revive flagging careers, J.J. Cale remains content to continue his reign as king of the laid-back guitar groove. Anyone who thinks it is easy to continually wring new permutations out of the back-porch choogle--Cale's calling card for near three decades--should try it some time. A little violin ("My Gal"), a stab of horns ("Chains of Love"), or some vibraphone tones ("New Lover") is all he needs to freshen the mix. While artists like Eric Clapton and Lynyrd Skynyrd have scored by adding testosterone to Cale's tunes, they would be the first to admit that his music is no less potent for being more relaxed. In fact, it's the off-hand manner in which he presents his political tunes--"Stone River" (ecology), "The Problem" (the President), and "Homeless"--that gives them their poetry and power. --Michael Ross

1. "My Gal" 4:23
2. "Chains Of Love" 3:37
3. "New Lover" 3:12
4. "I Step" 3:20
5. "Stone River" 3:42
6. "The Problem" 4:31
7. "Homeless" 3:25
8. "Fancy Dancer" 4:50
9. "Rio" 3:46
10. "These Blues" 3:49
11. "Moto Mouth" 3:17
12. "Blues For Mama" 4:07
13. "Another Song" 3:24

9870810ae7a097766f5ab110.L.jpg

Duets -- CD

Emmylou Harris

1990 Reprise Records

Many voices in harmony with Emmylou, February 12, 2005
By Pieter "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

This review is from: Duets (Audio CD)

This interesting album of collaborations includes tracks that are available elsewhere. By no means amongst Emmylou's best albums, Duets nevertheless contains some real gems and provides a pleasant listening experience.

The uptempo track The Price I Pay sees Harris accompanied by the Desert Rose band, and is followed by the old classic with Gram Parsons, the timeless Love Hurts. Roy Orbison provides the male vocal on That Lovin' You Feelin' Again, a mellow middle of the road number, more pop than country, that works surprisingly well.

We Believe In Happy Endings (with Earl Thomas Conley) is a traditional, slow country ballad, whilst Thing About You (with Southern Pacific) is quite catchy with a lilting beat. Star Of Bethlehem, with Neil Young, is short, sad and lovely, and All Fall Down, with George Jones, is another mournful ballad where Emmylou's voice really stands out in its phrasing and inflection.

Although John Denver's voice dominates Wild Montana Skies, it is one of my favourites here with its uplifting melody and soaring vocals. Next up is the breathtaking Green Pastures, a beautiful bluegrass-gospel number with Rickey Skaggs that I first heard on the album Roses In The Snow. This is definitely a highlight of the album. There is a riveting live version of this song on Emmylou's Spyboy album.

Gulf Coast Highway is a story song in the country tradition, very moving and very beautiful as Willie Nelson's voice blends perfectly with Emmylou's. If I Needed You is a gorgeous yearning love song where Don Williams provides the male vocal, and the album concludes with Evangeline, a brilliant collaboration with The Band.

Like all Emmylou's work, Duets is quality music. I wouldn't rate it up there with her best like Pieces Of The Sky, Roses In The Snow, Wrecking Ball, Red Dirt Girl or Cowgirl's Prayer, but the album is consistently enjoyable and every song is a classic.

1. "The Price I Pay" [with the Desert Rose Band] (Chris Hillman, Bill Wilds) - 2:58
2. "Love Hurts" [with Gram Parsons] (Boudleaux Bryant) - 3:40
3. "That Lovin' You Feelin' Again" [with Roy Orbison] (Roy Orbison, Chris Price) - 4:00
4. "We Believe in Happy Endings" [with Earl Thomas Conley] (Bob McDill) - 3:34
5. "Thing About You" [with Southern Pacific] (Tom Petty) - 3:51
6. "Star of Bethlehem" [with Neil Young] (Neil Young) - 2:43
7. "All Fall Down" [with George Jones] (Ron Peterson, Harlan Howard) - 3:19
8. "Wild Montana Skies" [with John Denver] (John Denver) - 4:02
9. "Green Pastures" [with Ricky Skaggs] (Van Hoose) - 3:08
10. "Gulf Coast Highway" [with Willie Nelson] (Nanci Griffith, Danny Flowers, James Hooker) - 3:09
11. "If I Needed You" [with Don Williams] (Townes Van Zandt) - 3:35
12. "Evangeline" [with The Band] (Robbie Robertson) - 3:10

91b5c6da8da00b4fda5f0110.L.jpg

Canciones de mi Padre -- CD

Linda Ronstadt

1987/1990 Asylum Records

Amazon.com

Topflight pop singer pays tribute to her heritage on this amazing roots ranchera album that also features excellent backing by the world-famous Mariachi Vargas, all under the experienced hand of master arranger-composer-producer Ruben Fuentes. Everything clicks wonderfully here, but numbers that set a new standard include "Tu Solo Tu," an incredibly harmonic love ode; "Por un Amor," on the price of real love; and "Los Laureles," a song of declaration on which Ronstadt soars unbelievably high. These are old Mexican classics, played by arguably the world's best mariachi group and sung by one of North America's greatest vocal talents. Extras include performances by another world figure, requinto player Gilbert Puente, who made trio history when he led Mexico's Los Tres Reyes in the '50s and '60s. In the mariachi-ranchera genre, this CD easily ranks among the very best. --Ramiro Burr

1. "Por Un Amor" (Gilberto Parra) – 2:56
2. "Los Laureles" (Lopez) – 2:25
3. "Hay Unos Ojos" (Rubén Fuentes) – 2:45
4. "La Cigarra" (Ray Pérez, Soto) – 3:45
5. "Tu Solo Tu" – 3:09
6. "Y Andale" – 2:32
7. "Rogaciano El Huapanguero" (Valeriano Trejo) – 3:00
8. "La Charreada" (Felipe Bermejo) – 3:49
9. "Dos Arbolitos" – 2:34
10. "Corrido De Cananea" – 3:24
11. "La Barca De Guaymas" – 3:25
12. "La Calandria" – 3:00
13. "El Sol Que Tú Eres" (Traditional) – 2:57

515LIL6fhHL._SS500_.jpg

The Essential Charley Pride -- CD

Charley Pride

1997 RCA Records

Part of BMG's comprehensive series of single-disc compilations featuring the great old-school country music stars of the 1960s and '70s, THE ESSENTIAL CHARLEY PRIDE is by necessity not comprehensive in the least. The man has had over four-dozen charting country hits in his career, after all. That said, however, ESSENTIAL CHARLEY PRIDE does a fine job of collecting all the high points, and only diehard fans (for whom this sort of single-disc introduction is superfluous anyway) will be disappointed by the track selection. Huge hits like "Kiss an Angel Good Mornin'" and the reggae-influenced "You're My Jamaica" sit comfortably next to early gems like the classic cheating song "Does My Ring Hurt Your Finger," all of them remastered and sounding far superior to the thin-sounding early CDs.

All tracks have been digitally remastered.

This is part of RCA Nashville's Essentials series.

1. Just Between You and Me - Charley Pride, Clement, Jack
2. Does My Ring Hurt Your Finger - Charley Pride, Clement, Doris
3. Please Help Me, I'm Falling - Charley Pride, Blair, Hal
4. All I Have to Offer You Is Me - Charley Pride, Frazier, Dallas
5. Kaw-Liga - Charley Pride, Rose, Fred
6. (Is Anybody Going To) San Antone - Charley Pride, Kirby, Dave
7. I'd Rather Love You - Charley Pride, Duncan, Johnny
8. Wonder Could I Live There Anymore - Charley Pride, Rice, Bill
9. I Can't Believe That You've Stopped Loving Me - Charley Pride, Frazier, Dallas
10. She's Too Good to Be True - Charley Pride, LeMaire, Sonny
11. Kiss an Angel Good Morning - Charley Pride, Peters, Ben
12. It's Gonna Take a Little Bit Longer - Charley Pride, Peters, Ben
13. I'm Just Me - Charley Pride, Martin, Glenn
14. A Shoulder to Cry On - Charley Pride, Haggard, Merle
15. Amazing Love - Charley Pride, Schweers, John
16. My Eyes Can Only See as Far as You - Charley Pride, Martin, Naomi
17. I'll Be Leaving Alone - Charley Pride, Holyfield, Wayland
18. Someone Loves You Honey - Charley Pride, Devaney, Don
19. Burgers and Fries - Charley Pride, Peters, Ben
20. You're My Jamaica - Charley Pride, Robbins, Kent

We're all familiar with this....... (Right!)

51tDVslJVGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Well this evening, his little girl Rosanne Cash....

51a7MnlBgWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

..is playing at Folsom Prison! :music-rockout:

I hope they record and release the event! :handgestures-thumbup:

(funny, I can't find anything on-line about it, but an announcement was made last night on the news saying the concert was postponed until tonight, because of weather. The noon news also mentioned it today!)

Dennie :eusa-clap:

Back