• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

95f5e03ae7a0edea55acf110.L.jpg

Bossa Nova Stories -- CD :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Eliane Elias

2009 Blue Note Records

Product Description
Now based in New York, Eliane Elias was born in Sao Paolo and grew up as a child prodigy on the piano during the 60's when Bossa Nova was conquering the world. Following the critically acclaimed Blue Note album "Eliane Sings and Plays Bill Evans" and 2 sold out shows at London's famed Ronnie Scott's in May, this album is a collection of Bossa Nova classics and bossa interpretations of some other classic songs performed with an all-star band of completely new recordings. Eliane is simply one of the world's great jazz pianists and her voice suits the Bossa Nova style perfectly. She is now one of the foremost interpreters of this style of music and this album is one of the best and most sought-after from the whole range of 50th anniversary releases this year.

dc40c060ada01bceab79b110.L.jpg

EE.jpg

Solos and Duets -- CD :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :eusa-clap:

Eliane Elias

1995 Blue Note Records

Wonderful instrumental piano, July 6, 2002
By Jinkyu - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solos And Duets (Audio CD)
Deciding to record some unaccompanied music, the lovely Brazilian pianist Eliane Elias put out this superb instrumental CD. Solos and Duets is entirely jazz piano, made up of solo pieces performed by Eliane and her duets with jazz legend Herbie Hancock. The sound is really more like jazz/classical, for it does have a classical texture altho with the spontaneity and other elements of jazz. Indeed, Eliane plays the chords, but the better part for me is all the free-flowing piano notes, very pretty. The music ranges between straightforward interpretations of song structures and complete improvisation.

The songs on which Herbie and Eliane team up are the strongest. They are "Just Enough," penned by Eliane, and two lengthy numbers: Herbie's composition "The Way You Look Tonight" and the four-part improvisation "Messages," which they jointly wrote. Eliane's solo-performed tunes were written by a variety of other artists, including the creator of the Baiao genre, Luiz Gonzaga. His hit "Asa Branca," also known for MPB (musica popular brasileira) artist Caetano Veloso's 1971 version, is here given soft expression by Eliane's piano. She maintains some of the song's Brazilian rhythms and feel, but also does classical style improvisation. Jazziest and intense at times is "The Way You Look Tonight," in which Herbie and Eliane engage in some complex deliveries, with changes in tempo and direction and interesting asides, demonstrating why jazz is considered a genre without limitations. My favorite moment is "Just Enough," an exquisite work of compelling beauty. Solos and Duets is a tour de force, easy listening and beautiful music throughout.

1. Autumn Leaves

2. Masquerade Is Over, The

3. Way You Look Tonight, The - (with Herbie Hancock)

4. All the Things You Are

5. Joy Spring / Have You Met Miss Jones

6. Just Enough - (with Herbie Hancock)

7. ASA Branca

8. Messages - (with Herbie Hancock)

9. Messages Part 2 - (with Herbie Hancock)

10. Messages Part 3 - (with Herbie Hancock)

11. Messages Part 4 - (with Herbie Hancock)

Bonus Picture from CD booklet.....

d497820dd7a076ac3295e010.L.jpg

Cool, definitely getting Solos&Duets. I've got Paulistana on order; if I like that one I'll check out Bossa Nova. (Not Bonamassa, there, Zing, so calm down.)

51KaFf6zQkL.jpg

Abbey Road -- CD :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

The Beatles

1969/2009 EMI Records
Amazon.com essential recording

The Beatles' last days as a band were as productive as any major pop phenomenon that was about to split. After recording the ragged-but-right Let It Be, the group held on for this ambitious effort, an album that was to become their best-selling. Though all four contribute to the first side's writing, John Lennon's hard-rocking, "Come Together" and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" make the strongest impression. A series of song fragments edited together in suite form dominates side two; its portentous, touching, official close ("Golden Slumbers"/"Carry That Weight"/"The End") is nicely undercut, in typical Beatles fashion, by Paul McCartney's cheeky "Her Majesty," which follows. --Rickey Wright
1. Come Together
2. Something
3. Maxwell's Silver Hammer
4. Oh! Darling
5. Octopus's Garden
6. I Want You (She's So Heavy)
7. Here Comes The Sun
8. Because
9. You Never Give Me Your Money
10. Sun King
11. Mean Mr. Mustard
12. Polythene Pam
13. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
14. Golden Slumbers
15. Carry That Weight
16. The End
17. Her Majesty
18. Abbey Road Documentary

92fab2c008a0bb0397024010.L.jpg

Best of WAR and More -- CD

WAR

1991 Avenue Records

Amazon.com

War peppers their music with Latin rhythms and instrumentations, mixing in elements of funk with oldies rock & roll to create a nonstop summer-block-party sound. Hits like "The Cisco Kid" and "Why Can't We Be Friends?" are characterized by the band's lower-register vocals and beg for a singalong. "Spill the Wine, " a hit during Eric Burden's tenure with War, lacks the freer, good-time feel of the later material, but "Low Rider, " a bottom-heavy salsa driven by a raunchy harmonica, remains one of the band's most popular songs. The Best of War ... and More goes beyond retro appeal, displaying a timeless quality. --Steve Gdula
1. Livin' In The Red
2. Low Rider
3. The Cisco Kid
4. Slippin' Into Darkness
5. Me and Baby Brother
6. Galaxy
7. Spill The Wine
8. All Day Music
9. Why Can't We Be Friends?
10. Summer
11. City Country City
12. Whose Cadillac Is That?
13. Low Rider (Remix)

Yup, just a joke, but an extremely clever one, I thought... :eusa-clap:

Possibly the best sounding disc I own......

086f810ae7a0f18a33ee8110.L.jpg

Dark Side Of The Moon -- 24k Gold Ultradisc II CD :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :eusa-clap:

Pink Floyd

1993 Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab

It is one of the KEYSTONES in modern music evolution, February 23, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Dark Side of the Moon (Audio CD)
...and you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of breath, one day closer to death..

now that is big-time lyrics.

Best Sound You Can Get, January 5, 2006
By Aleksander Sloboda - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dark Side of the Moon (Audio CD)

I had many issues of this album. I had it on LP, on ordinary CD, on CD from the Box Set and Japan LP version. I also listen and compared MOFI CD with SACD version. In the end MOFI Gold disc sounds the best. For those who have difficulty hearing I recommend syringing their ears first.
1299e03ae7a0798a0e65c110.L.jpg

Botch said:
Yup, just a joke, but an extremely clever one, I thought... :eusa-clap:

:text-+1:

You had me scrambling to buy it! :angry-tappingfoot:

:text-bravo:

Thank goodness for google, or I'd still be looking of it! :angry-cussingblack:

Dennie :text-goodpost:

Dennie said:
I also listen and compared MOFI CD with SACD version. In the end MOFI Gold disc sounds the best.
I have the SACD version (along with a few you've mentioned); damn this forum is costing me... :angry-tappingfoot:

Botch said:
Dennie said:
I also listen and compared MOFI CD with SACD version. In the end MOFI Gold disc sounds the best.
I have the SACD version (along with a few you've mentioned); damn this forum is costing me... :angry-tappingfoot:

I have the redbook CD, the SACD, the Mofi Vinyl and the 24k Gold CD! The Gold CD is absolutely amazing. It is one of the few CD's I have that I can turn it up ALL THE WAY and it still sounds GREAT!

When I purchased this one, they were going for about $250. :roll: Well, with the economy the way it is, they've dropped in value by about $100.

I picked up my copy $50! :handgestures-thumbup:

This can be an expensive hobby, but it is one I enjoy immensely! :dance:

Dennie

71a162e89da0f533bf2d2110.L.jpg

Straight Shooter -- CD

Bad Company

(No Date) Swan Song

Supergroup hits its stride, November 7, 2001
By Mons "Mons" (Norrpan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Straight Shooter (Audio CD)

Released in 1974, Straightshooter is regarded by many as being Bad Company's strongest album. It has the bluesy feel of its predecessor (Bad Co) but has the band turning their amps up 11 and rocking out the strongest set of songs of the band's career. Do not forget that Bad Co was a supergroup with 2 guys out of Free (Rodgers and Kirke), the bass player from King Crimson (Boz Burrell) and Mott the Hoople's guitarist (Mick Ralphs). They should have been huge, of course, but suffered from having to play second fiddle to Swan Song stablemates Led Zeppelin. The songs were great, their sound: a sort of supercharged, sexy blues-rock without the pretention of Led Zep. What let them down perhaps was their lyrics, some of which make Spinal Tap look like Leonard Cohen, but if you can take that - and I can - this album is a great listen from beginning to end. Bad Company were also one of the few hard rock bands that wrote great ballads (Anna), though it was Straightshooter's high-octane rockers like Good Lovin' Gone Bad, Feel Like Making Love and Shooting Star that helped secure them a place in rock history. Bad Company were a good, tight band, but I would recommend anyone to listen to them purely to hear Paul Rodgers' masterful rock vocals. New to Bad Company? Get this one first, and then Bad Co.
Side one

1. "Good Lovin' Gone Bad" (Mick Ralphs) – 3:35
2. "Feel Like Makin' Love" (Paul Rodgers/Mick Ralphs) – 5:12
3. "Weep No More" (Simon Kirke) – 3:59
4. "Shooting Star" (Paul Rodgers) – 6:16

Side two

1. "Deal With the Preacher" (Paul Rodgers/Mick Ralphs) – 5:01
2. "Wild Fire Woman" (Paul Rodgers/Mick Ralphs) – 4:32
3. "Anna" (Simon Kirke) – 3:41 [1]
4. "Call on Me" (Paul Rodgers) – 6:03

I am a big fan of Pink Floyd music as performed by David Gilmour. His Live in Gdansk double disc proves again his unparalled technical expertise. David handles most of the vocals and of course the guitar work, while Richard Wright performed his magic on the keyboards and support vocals. Gilmour's guitar solo on Comfortably Numb is undoubtedly one of the best guitar solos ever performed.

Now that Richard Wright has passed away David Gilmour won't be able to recreate the Pink Floyd material as he did on the Live in Gdansk CD. It is very sad that these guys (David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Roger Waters, Richard Wright) couldn't manage to get back together and make a live best of album before something happened to one of them.

Controls_Tech

3e42c060ada0e3832c3f9110.L.jpg

A Lot About Livin' (And A Little 'Bout Love) -- CD

Alan Jackson

1992 Arista Records

Amazon.com essential recording

Of all the country music artists to break big in the '90s, Alan Jackson best straddles the genre's sense of tradition and its newfound modern sheen. More than any other superstar, the Georgia native clings to the age-old sound of fiddles, steel guitars, and rhythms that shuffle and swing. Still, on his third and his most successful album, Jackson proves how well he can turn traditional sounds into commercially accessible hits. "Chattahoochee" and "She's Got the Rhythm (And I've Got the Blues)" display his flair for bringing bright detail and a casual sense of fun to uptempo tunes. Meanwhile, ballads such as "Tonight I Climbed the Wall" show that he can create heartbreakers equal to those of his heroes, Merle Haggard and George Jones. --Michael McCall

1. "Chattahoochee" (Alan Jackson, Jim McBride) – 2:27
2. "She's Got the Rhythm (And I Got the Blues)" (Jackson, Randy Travis) – 2:24
3. "Tonight I Climbed the Wall" (Jackson) – 3:30
4. "I Don't Need the Booze (To Get a Buzz On)" (Toni Dae, Joy Swinea) – 3:15
5. "(Who Says) You Can't Have It All" (Jackson, McBride) – 3:28
6. "Up to My Ears in Tears" (Jackson, Don Sampson) – 2:53
7. "Tropical Depression" (Charlie Craig, Jackson, McBride) – 2:57
8. "She Likes It Too" (Zack Turner, Tim Nichols) – 2:50
9. "If It Ain't One Thing (It's You)" (Jackson, McBride) – 3:52
10. "Mercury Blues" (K. C. Douglas, Robert Geddins) – 3:39

Controls_Tech said:
I am a big fan of Pink Floyd music as performed by David Gilmour. His Live in Gdansk double disc proves again his unparalled technical expertise. David handles most of the vocals and of course the guitar work, while Richard Wright performed his magic on the keyboards and support vocals. Gilmour's guitar solo on Comfortably Numb is undoubtedly one of the best guitar solos ever performed.

Now that Richard Wright has passed away David Gilmour won't be able to recreate the Pink Floyd material as he did on the Live in Gdansk CD. It is very sad that these guys (David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Roger Waters, Richard Wright) couldn't manage to get back together and make a live best of album before something happened to one of them.

Controls_Tech

Amen! :text-goodpost:

Dennie

Back