• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What are you watching via streaming?

Anybody watching the new show on Prime called The Boys? We only caught part of the first episode, but what we saw, I thought it was pretty good. Basically there are super hero's who aren't really all that nice, and a group called the Boys who are trying to get the world to know the truth about them. I'm sure it was unintentional, unlike the current season of OITNB, but it is unfortunate on how they portray Baltimore in the show, or at least a couple of scenes.

Anybody watching the new show on Prime called The Boys? We only caught part of the first episode, but what we saw, I thought it was pretty good. Basically there are super hero's who aren't really all that nice, and a group called the Boys who are trying to get the world to know the truth about them. I'm sure it was unintentional, unlike the current season of OITNB, but it is unfortunate on how they portray Baltimore in the show, or at least a couple of scenes.

See below

"The Boys" a new series on Prime. Watched the first episode this morning (perk of retirement).

A world where super heroes have been franchised and monetized and the heroes themselves have all the foibles and moral short givings of normal folks. Collateral damage to citizens happens frequently and major coverups take place. Some civvies are fed up and start to get even.

More info would be a spoiler but loks like a good one. Production vales are excellent.

Wu Assassins on Netflix. Watched one episode and it looks pretty good. Martial arts with some mysticism mixed in. good [production values.

What he said... looking forward to the next season.
Me too! Unlike recent Netflix showings, they get into more of the characters and their back story, somewhat, but it is very good show. Got just a couple of episodes left, and trying to drag it out.

Just started "Wentworth" on Netflix. From what I can tell it's an Aussie take on Orange is the New Black, but much, much better. Would recommend!

Just finished "The Boys" yesterday. Loved it!

I loved it as well. I have a few quibbles about the typical Hollywood take on certain institutions which most Americans respect, but that's what I expect from most entertainment, so I generally get past it.

I loved it as well. I have a few quibbles about the typical Hollywood take on certain institutions which most Americans respect, but that's what I expect from most entertainment, so I generally get past it.
Compared to what is currently coming out of Hollywood, I actually thought this series leaned towards the conservative side of things, although maybe it's in parody. I still have two episodes to go, so maybe my view point will change.

Compared to what is currently coming out of Hollywood, I actually thought this series leaned towards the conservative side of things, although maybe it's in parody. I still have two episodes to go, so maybe my view point will change.

This isn't a political thread, so I will only state the issue I had without much explanation and we can create something in the politics section if we want to get into it.

1) They represent ALL Christians as either evil or ignorant sheeple. While do not specifically state they are representing all Christians and Christian institutions that way, the only overtly Christian characters or events we see on the screen are represented as evil or stupid. They do not show any rational Christians at all.
2) All corporations are represented the same way - as if the very nature of all corporate power is evil. At no point do they offer an alternate viewpoint suggesting that corporations could be bad or they could be okay.
3) While it is a well-established trope in nearly all super hero stories, all good-doers have to overcome the entire world working against them. In this show, it seems only two people can be good, but only after unwittingly contributing to evil.

While it all makes for great entertainment, and I enjoyed the series immensely. it gets old seeing all Christians and Churches being shown as stupid and manipulating. It gets old showing all corporations as evil. It gets old seeing all people as instinctively bad.

Yeah, I didn't want this to turn into a political discussion thread, but I do see your point about Christians.

I was a passionate Doctor Who fan until life got in the way of my ability to really pay attention in my fandom and stopped watching when the Peter Capaldi doctor turned up.

Tonight I fired up Doctor Who with the 2nd Capaldi Christmas special and was immediately reminded of the genius and production quality of the show.

Yay! I'm a Whovian again!

Watched I Am Mother on Netflix yesterday. Overall it was a decent movie, although Hillary Swank was probably a little under utilized in it. I was a little afraid it was going to be another Netflix movie/show that tells what is going on, but not why it is going on, but they do at least give some idea on why it is happening. Kind of a strange twist at the end.

An Australian series on Hulu called "The Bloom" I guess it couod be classified as science fiction but that is stressing the genre, I don't want to give away any spoilers.

Good but may be a bit slow for some.

Back