• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Concert Video are you listening to?

Botch said:
Style.
Can you say "Style"?

Bryan Ferry is, and always has been, about Style! :text-bravo:

I was a bit hesitant to pre-order this; on Bryan's last couple albums the war on his vocal chords sounded like it was being won by the nicotine, but he's in great form here, yay!
And did I mention Style? He came out perfectly dressed, including silk scarf. Two beautiful dancers, two beautiful female backup singers with French berets, and a smokin'-hot sax/keyboardist, with perfect Betty Boop hair, Betty Boop makeup, Betty Boop dress filled with Betty Boop boobies, and the most perfect Betty Boop Buns (which the cameraman took to full advantage to the benefit of this video! :eusa-clap: ). The rest of the band was dressed impeccably in white and black, 'cept the ugly t-shirts on the two drummers (one from the Eisenhower administration, the other someone's grandkid; and why two drummers?? ).
Great audio, great video; and did I mention, Stylish as Hell?? :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

EDIT: oh wow, what great fun to hear Neil Young's "Hurricane" given the Ferry/Roxy treatment! :handgestures-thumbup:

We watched this last night, I agree that this an awesome show if you are a fan.

The amphitheater was packed and it was raining pretty heavy during part of the show and it stayed packed.

All Along the Watch Tower was another great cover.

Also watched the documentary "The Making of Olympia" his newest album. This was very educational and learned that many great musicians played on this album, it is a must get for me.

Thanks Botch for posting, would have never knew that it was released......... :happy-smileygiantred:

Okay, so I did a little research it it appears that the new album was released in 2010.

From Wikipedia:

Olympia is an album by the British singer Bryan Ferry, released by Virgin Records on 25 October 2010. Co-produced by Ferry and Rhett Davies, Olympia is Ferry's first album of largely original material since 2002's Frantic.

The album features a wide range of contributors, including co-songwriter David A. Stewart of Eurythmics, Brian Eno, Phil Manzanera and Andy Mackay of Roxy Music, the electronic group Groove Armada, David Gilmour, Marcus Miller, Scissor Sisters, Nile Rodgers, Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead, Steve Nieve, and Flea.

The album features some songs previously recorded by Ferry in collaborations with other artists. "You Can Dance", a version of which appeared as "U Can Dance" on DJ Hell's 2009 album Teufelswerk, is the record's first single. A version of "Shameless" previously appeared as a collaboration with Groove Armada on their album Black Light earlier in 2010. The album also features covers of Tim Buckley's "Song To The Siren" and Traffic's "No Face, No Name, No Number."

In 2011 the single Alphaville was sent to a number of radio stations and appeared on BBC Radio 2's playlist and 106.9FM WHCR's

The album art features the fashion model Kate Moss and refers to the Édouard Manet 1863 painting of the same name.[11]
Track listing

All tracks by Ferry/Stewart unless otherwise noted.

"You Can Dance" – 4:29
"Alphaville" – 4:25
"Heartache By Numbers" – 4:56 (Ferry/Scissor Sisters)
"Me Oh My" – 4:40 (Ferry)
"Shameless" – 4:36 (Ferry/Cato/Findlay)
"Song to the Siren" – 5:56 (Buckley/Beckett)
"No Face, No Name, No Number" – 4:40 (Capaldi/Winwood)
"BF Bass (Ode to Olympia)" – 4:09 (Ferry/Manzanera)
"Reason or Rhyme" – 6:52 (Ferry)
"Tender Is the Night" – 4:35

Extended Edition extra tracks:

"Whatever Gets You thru the Night" – 3:19 (Lennon)
"One Night" (Bartholomew/King/Steiman) – 4:00

Collector's Edition includes a 40-page booklet and second CD:

"You Can Dance (Fred Falke Mix)" – 7:08
"Alphaville (Time and Space Machine Mix)" – 7:06
"Heartache By Numbers (Circus Parade Mix)" – 7:27
"Me Oh My (DJ Cleaver Mix)" – 6:42
"Shameless (Still Going Mix)" – 8:12
"BF Bass (Ode To Olympia) (West End Wolf Mix)" – 9:21
"Reason Or Rhyme (Instrumental)" – 6:54

While picking up the new A Night at the Opera Blu-ray music disc at my local store, I chanced upon a used copy of Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live Blu-ray for $10. That concert has long been in my top 10 favourites - having played the DVD version a dozen or so times over the years.

Watched selected tracks for about an hour today in the main HT. There is a slight improvement in PQ over the DVD - however it's still not great. (The original source was 16mm film! There's a lot of grain!) It's really the sound and staging that set this concert apart - for me. And the remixed and remastered soundtrack in DTS HD Master Audio does sound great. And one can never get tired of watching and listening to Paula Cole singing backup (and occasional lead) vocals - this concert tour being what brought her to everyone's attention.

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:
While picking up the new A Night at the Opera Blu-ray music disc at my local store, I chanced upon a used copy of Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live Blu-ray for $10. That concert has long been in my top 10 favourites - having played the DVD version a dozen or so times over the years.

Jeff

Oh THANK YOU!! I didn't know that was out! :text-thankyoublue:

tdf-blubdr.jpg

^ Hey PaulyT

Tells us a little bit about these Blu Rays................................I saw them and was curious about them.

Eh... people are tired of hearing me talk about Joe. So I'll be brief: 4 shows within 5 nights, different venues, different bands (at least in part, some overlap), different setlists (something like 50-60 songs total), different styles.

PaulyT said:
Eh... people are tired of hearing me talk about Joe. So I'll be brief: 4 shows within 5 nights, different venues, different bands (at least in part, some overlap), different setlists (something like 50-60 songs total), different styles.
No no no no no!

Pauly, I for one have never tired of you talking about Joe. Your unbridled enthusiasm is inspiring. Your descriptions of encounters with him are truly entertaining. Your reviews of his concerts, CDs and videos are masterful and well-appreciated.

It's Joe we've become tired of, not your talking about him!

:)

Jeff

:music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

def_leppard_viva_hysteria_1.jpg

I only have Leppard's Greatest Hits on CD, and while its not my usual kind of music I really like pulling it out on occasion. I consider DL a studio band (a la Boston), a Rick Ruben-polished semi-turd who weren't very good live (the few times I've seen them live (all on video) the showmanship was meh, the keening harmony vocals sucked compared to the (polished) records, and their drummer only had one arm).
But, there's been quite a buzz about this bluray over the net, so I decided to give it a chance.
Wow! There are parts where there's obviously sampled vox being played, but other spots (as on Love Bites) where the band themselves are singing live, and they're pretty damn good (no triple harmonies in the stratosphere, but still good).
The drum sound on this disk is chest-thumping! They're probably all electronic/sampled, but if you wanna head-bang on your sofa this is killer!
One thing that really cracked me up is the audience shots. The front row against the stage is all beautiful blonds, and right behind them it looks like 80-90% guys, up to the top of the auditorium! :laughing: The only funnier crowd I've seen was an early Earth, Wind & Fire concert in Japan: a few black guys scattered about (no doubt US G.I.'s) amongst a sea of japanese, not a blond hair in the stadium! :laughing-rolling:
If you're into Arena Rock, you need this one. :text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo:

EDIT: as the show goes on, I think they're slipping in more and more prerecorded "keening vocals", but that's okay! :music-rockout:

Last one...

tdf-blurah.jpg

Keith, you'd like this one - Joe plays Gary's guitar on Midnight Blues (plus a couple other songs).

Proud parenting moment: my older daughter came home from school while I was watching this; she heard a couple opening chords on the guitar and immediately named the song (Driving Towards the Daylight). :eusa-clap:

PaulyT said:
Last one...

tdf-blurah.jpg

Keith, you'd like this one - Joe plays Gary's guitar on Midnight Blues (plus a couple other songs).

Proud parenting moment: my older daughter came home from school while I was watching this; she heard a couple opening chords on the guitar and immediately named the song (Driving Towards the Daylight). :eusa-clap:

:text-bravo: on my list!

PaulyT,

From whence did thou procureth said discs? Direct from the Old World?

Amazon has each disc available for pre-order (Oct 29th - ~$20 each) or the box set (Nov 25th - $160).

Jeff

ps. And a return to Royal Albert Hall? Was he aiming to tie Dylan's appearance record there? (Bob's playing there again in November - presumably to take back the title.) Does his 2013 appearance best 2009's?

:laughing: I got mine directly from Joe's online store (preordered a while ago so I got them on the US release date):

:text-link:

And yeah, the 2013 Royal Albert is .... better in its own way than the 2009. Joe's changed over the intervening years. I hesitate to make any general judgement.

And no, this had nothing to do with Dylan. It had a lot more to do with a retrospective of Joe's influences, including particularly Gary Moore and Rory Gallagher (whose guitars he plays).

Botch said:
EDIT: oh wow, what great fun to hear Neil Young's "Hurricane" given the Ferry/Roxy treatment! :handgestures-thumbup:

A great recommenation, Botch.

Brian Ferry and group put on a fun performance. Best audio I've heard from a concert disc lately.

two drummers
two lead guitars
two go go dancers
Two sets of two backup singers
and Betty Boop :banana-dance: :banana-rock: :banana-dance: :banana-rock: :banana-dance:

thanks

Zing said:
In the early-to-mid 90's, the Live in Australia concert was something to behold. The show/performance was absolutely stellar, despite the fact this was filmed when Elton was still doing boat loads of scotch and coke. The fact that he even had motor skills under those influences is nothing short of miraculous, let alone the wherewithal to sing and play the piano. Anyhow, I can't even begin to calculate the amount of hours we spent watching this. We'd pop the tape in the VCR, turn on the stereo and fire up Dolby through a pair of speakers flanking the TV. Good times.

Since then, I've been keeping an eye out for this to arrive on Blu-ray. Year after year, nothing. It got to the point where I was willing to settle for DVD. I just wanted to see it again. Still, no such luck. Pretty soon, I found myself looking for VCR's to buy - I wanted to see it that bad.

A few days ago, I ran into this import DVD. I don't think I've ever added anything to a shopping cart so fast. It was after the final "submit order" button-click that I thought "Gee, I should probably check to see how much I just paid for that". Thankfully, it was only $11.

It arrived yesterday and I gave it a spin. The video is in 4:3 aspect and its video quality is horrendous. On a scale of 1-5, this comes in somewhere in the negative. But once the show started, I was oblivious to video quality. This is one of those shows that's so good, watching it on a 19" B&W TV is still enthralling. Anything else is icing on the cake.

For you Elton fans, if you haven't seen this since the VHS days, pick this up ASAP!

1332991642_elton_john_live_in_australia_with_melbourne_sympho.png

Zing, again Thank You for posting this, just got around to watching it tonight, I LOVE it!
While I agree that the video quality isn't that good, the "filming" (ie panning/cuts/zooms, and not changing scenes every split-second) are really good; like you the lack of pic quality fades immediately for me, once the playing starts. And if you hadn't mentioned that he was in a bad drug period, I wouldn't have known it; his singing AND his playing are spot-on! :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:
I listen to almost all kinds of music, but it was learning to play the EJ catalog that pretty much had the biggest influence on how I played live. To watch him, virtually over his shoulder, play so fantastic, yet so nonchalantly, is a Treat!
Thanks Again!!! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Back