• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Concert Video are you listening to?

Botch said:
51HlfCxSlhL._SY300_.jpg

This was released this year, just became aware of it.
There were some new "claymation" at the front (can't remember the guy's name, real stoner) but the concert footage I've seen so far, it seems I already own (it's the Mothers, Chester, Napoleon, George Duke, et al).
Hope there's something new on it, we'll see.

Hey Botch, is this one any good?

Yes. I'm actually a bigger fan of Frank's post-Mothers bands, but the Mothers of Invention are no musical slouches. Video was shot in the late 70's, stereo, beautifully recorded for the time (especially the drums, as is Frank's forte), and a 4:3 picture. I'm pretty sure it was shot in the same location as the one I think I already own, but a different night. During the "calling-room-service" skit on my first video, Frank kept trying to order "bouillabaisse," but in this show he tries to order A Green Hocker, in a Greyhound Locker, Smokin' in the Pygmy Twilight, void of the Garni du Jour, avoid the Wrinkled Carrot, no Celery, no Parsley, no soggy Salad, no styrofoam cups, a Crystal Eye, and a Crystal Kidney (like liver, 'cept shiny). I don't feel bad for not remembering that any more; bouillabaisse was easier to remember. Some rainy Sunday I'll dig through my VHS tapes and figure out the background on this. Or not. :happy-smileygiantred:

Mort! Mort! Mort! eh-yaaah! :music-rockout:

I finally watched the Extras on this disk, which included an interview on the Mike Douglas Show (with JJ Walker and, I think, Kenny Rogers). It includes a Zappa solo on "Black Napkins", excerpts from "Token" (so I guess its not new, just new to DVD, and me) and some of the claymations. Here's a not-well-recorded example from EweTube:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1_KvEbXnU0[/youtube]

Passed out in the HT last night while cranking this one 10,000 decibels above the threshold of death.........

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Attachments

• sh.jpg
    sh.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,551
If you are a Yes Fan or just like their music a tiny bit, this is a must have.

It was a double dip for me and I have not watched the DVD in quite some time.

The PQ was great and so was the AQ.

The set list on this one is just incredible!!

61%2BB8-aP9%2BL._SY300_.jpg

Botch said:
HitManDavidFosterAndFriends_75993999563_500.jpg

Was wondering what disks would be good for me and my visiting Mom to watch together. This was pretty good.

Until the song "Wrap your chocolate legs around me" came on... :doh:

Watched this for the umteenth time this evening! No mothers present, Zing brought this up & I just had to yank up the post from you Botch! :scared-yipes: That must of been quite uncomfortable! But, the rest just had to be incredible!!!! This is in my top ten for concert videos! Hence, Michael Buble' ! Luv that man!!!

santana_mclaughlin.jpg

This seemed like an odd pairing when I saw it, but bought it anyway. Reading the liner notes I was reminded that Carlos and John did an album back in, what, the '70s, called (iirc) Love, devotion and surrender. I've never heard that album.
The videography on this disk is incredible, absolutely beautiful.
The music, so far, is wanting. The first tune in the set sounded like a "final" tune in a show; two lead guitarists trying to out-do each other, with lots of imbalances in the instruments that's normally the case on live concerts. There doesn't seem to be too much "give and take" between the two.
The next couple of songs featured just John and the band, and it had some great moments. Now, halfway thru the disk, Carlos came back out and its finally starting to jel.
I'm ready for bed, I'll finish the disk, and my review, tomorrow. :shifty:

Thanks Botch, this one is on my list......was very curious about the PQ, how is the audio track?

As I dig through the many concerts available, after what is concidered the classic bunch, I find an occasional gem.

This lady writes and sings a good song and her band rocks!

51b12OQ9ifL.jpg

Another great concert by my new found favorites. I love the lyrics feature for all the songs I never heard before.

61aLMW-KzJL.jpg

1."Bertha" (Robert Hunter, Jerry Garcia) - 7:57 >
2."Greatest Story Ever Told" (Hunter, Mickey Hart, Bob Weir) - 4:36
3."Cold Rain and Snow" (traditional, arr. Grateful Dead) - 6:45
4."Walkin' Blues" (Robert Johnson) - 6:57
5."Row Jimmy" (Hunter, Garcia) - 10:50
6."When I Paint My Masterpiece" (Bob Dylan) - 6:09
7."Stagger Lee" (Hunter, Garcia) - 6:01
8."Looks Like Rain" (John Barlow, Weir) - 7:11 >
9."Deal" (Hunter, Garcia) - 7:53

Second Set:

10."Touch of Grey" (Hunter, Garcia) - 6:30 >
11."Man Smart, Woman Smarter" (Norman Span) - 8:47
[edit]1."Ship of Fools" (Hunter, Garcia) - 8:13 >
2."Playing in the Band" (Hunter, Hart, Weir) - 3:30 >
3."Terrapin Station" (Hunter, Garcia) - 12:18 >
4."Drums" (Hart, Bill Kreutzman) - 9:00 >
5."Space" (Garcia, Phil Lesh, Weir) - 7:28 >
6."I Will Take You Home" (Brent Mydland) - 3:53 >
7."All Along the Watchtower" (Dylan) - 5:52 >
8."Morning Dew" (Bonnie Dobson, Tim Rose) - 11:10 >
9."Not Fade Away" (Buddy Holly, Norman Petty) - 10:08

live-in-athens-bd.jpg

I'll post my thoughts here on a dedicated thread tomorrow. This may be the best concert video. Ever. :music-rockout:

The Bluray concert is 177 minutes long, the accompanying DVD, with ALL his music videos, is 153 minutes. The warmup band alone, Le Super Etoile de Dakar, was worth the purchase price.

Stay tuned. :music-listening:

All of these are worthy, especially the closing of Winterland. 20 min of Terrapin Station is a thing to enjoy.

DVD_Grateful_Dead_-_Truckin_up_to_Buffalo_DVD.jpg

511c3c0644425.preview-620.jpg

11429268.jpg

SET ONE
1 Sugar Magnolia >
2 Scarlet Begonias >
3 Fire On The Mountain
4 Me and My Uncle >
5 Big River
6 Friend of the Devil
7 It's All Over Now
8 Stagger Lee
9 From The Heart Of Me
10 Sunshine Daydream

SET TWO
1 Samson and Delilah
2 Ramble On Rose
3 I Need A Miracle>
4 Terrapin Station >
5 Playing In The Band >
6 Rhythm Devils >
7 Not Fade Away >
8 Around And Around

SET THREE
1 Dark Star >
2 The Other One >
3 Dark Star >
4 Wharf Rat >
5 St. Stephen >
6 Good Lovin'

ENCORE
7 Casey Jones >
8 Johnny B. Goode
9 We Bid You Goodnight

Josh_Groban_Awake_Live_Special_Edition_cover.jpg

Babs & Zing would HIGHLY recommend this!!!

Lucia Micarelli is just freakin' incredible!!!!!!

Bob R said:
1 Sugar Magnolia...3 Fire On The Mountain

^ My two favorites...

Nice Bob!!! I work with a lot of Dead Heads! Great guys! I hear a lot of the 'Dead'! It is a most unique following!

BRYAN_FERRY_LIVE_IN_LYON_BLU-RAY.jpg

Style.
Can you say "Style"?

Bryan Ferry is, and always has been, about Style! :text-bravo:

I was a bit hesitant to pre-order this; on Bryan's last couple albums the war on his vocal chords sounded like it was being won by the nicotine, but he's in great form here, yay!
And did I mention Style? He came out perfectly dressed, including silk scarf. Two beautiful dancers, two beautiful female backup singers with French berets, and a smokin'-hot sax/keyboardist, with perfect Betty Boop hair, Betty Boop makeup, Betty Boop dress filled with Betty Boop boobies, and the most perfect Betty Boop Buns (which the cameraman took to full advantage to the benefit of this video! :eusa-clap: ). The rest of the band was dressed impeccably in white and black, 'cept the ugly t-shirts on the two drummers (one from the Eisenhower administration, the other someone's grandkid; and why two drummers?? ).
Great audio, great video; and did I mention, Stylish as Hell?? :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

EDIT: oh wow, what great fun to hear Neil Young's "Hurricane" given the Ferry/Roxy treatment! :handgestures-thumbup:

^^^
The Big 4?

When I think of a Big Four, I think of...

1. Winger
2. Firehouse
3. Slaughter
4. KISS (Circa "Hot In The Shade" tour)

:music-rockout:

:happy-smileygiantred:

Yesterday I watched parts of the Beach Boys' 50th Anniversary Concert...

I fast forwarded quite a bit. Partly because I don't much care for a lot of those early surf and car songs. Also because these guys look super old. Maybe it's because of Blu-Ray? Let's just say HD wasn't kind. Still it was awesome that the surviving members got back together for a tour last summer. And I'm glad to have a BD that catches some of that time.

91kNXI0rH0L._SL500_.jpg

Botch said:
BRYAN_FERRY_LIVE_IN_LYON_BLU-RAY.jpg

Style.
Can you say "Style"?

Bryan Ferry is, and always has been, about Style! :text-bravo:

I was a bit hesitant to pre-order this; on Bryan's last couple albums the war on his vocal chords sounded like it was being won by the nicotine, but he's in great form here, yay!
And did I mention Style? He came out perfectly dressed, including silk scarf. Two beautiful dancers, two beautiful female backup singers with French berets, and a smokin'-hot sax/keyboardist, with perfect Betty Boop hair, Betty Boop makeup, Betty Boop dress filled with Betty Boop boobies, and the most perfect Betty Boop Buns (which the cameraman took to full advantage to the benefit of this video! :eusa-clap: ). The rest of the band was dressed impeccably in white and black, 'cept the ugly t-shirts on the two drummers (one from the Eisenhower administration, the other someone's grandkid; and why two drummers?? ).
Great audio, great video; and did I mention, Stylish as Hell?? :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

EDIT: oh wow, what great fun to hear Neil Young's "Hurricane" given the Ferry/Roxy treatment! :handgestures-thumbup:

Thanks Botch, this is on my list, I have been a fan for a long time! How long is it? I hope it is not the typical 90 mins?

Back