• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Concert Video are you listening to?

Talking Heads - Chronology:

61kaEY6AMgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is great fun. They got some good video of their early days (including a multi-camera, B&W shoot of their first show at CBGB's, damn Byrne was shy!). You could easily see David's stage quirkiness develop over the next year or two, and his greatest Rock Star Attribute, his weirdo buggy eyes, finally made themselves known on their first appearance on SNL (my first exposure to them; I thought they were odd and dismissed them at the time).
Just getting into their African phase, where they doubled the size of the band (and their audience). I had forgotten that Adrian Belew was with them at this time, great fun! :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Hmm, the above show has now gone into an area I've not seen: David Byrne with spiky blue hair, Tina (BB) with a see-thru blouse, Chris (DD) with a double-chin, and Bernie Worrell in a top hat (although I've seen him that way in other bands).

And, crap. That was the last tune on the disk. :(

51yrGoUxfmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Don't know quite how to describe these guys' music, other than a blend of Radiohead, The Police, and The Who...
:bow-blue:

51mlU6upWzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Watched this again tonight. And am more blown away than the first time! Ok several servings of a nice Beaujolais helped me to "flow" with the first half of this concert a little more easily... :laughing: Still not easy music for me to grasp, but I feel like I followed the thread of what they were doing a little better this time around. Seriously impressed with the SQ and especially the PQ - the filming on this one is really good. And wife and even my 8yo daughter enjoyed watching parts of this. Good stuff. Deep, not easy to grasp, and "abstract" in the extreme in parts, but very good music.

I'm glad you keep returning to that one, Paul. Agreed, the PQ on it is just out of this world...

Paul,

I am bringing a few concerts to the GTG that I consider great. The Return to Forever Concert has the best PQ and SQ I have seen.

I am bringing some rockin' concerts and some progressive concerts and I am sure that they will catch your attention.......

Looking forward to seeing you again!!!

Botch,

I wish you could have made this one!

Keith

Excellent! I'll be bringing a few - Joe's, Dream Theater, maybe a Jeff Beck... along with some audio-only reference material.

Electronica concerts are vey much not what you would expect an old fart like me to like. Since I was between pre-orders, I took a flier on the Chemical Brothers.

Two guys - keyboards - PC's - and WHAT A FRIGGIN LIGHT SHOW!

The cameras are positioned in the audience, so it seems like you are in the crowd. My daughter and her boyfriend love this kind of stuff, I can't wait to get their opinion.

The 60's have returned in the form of PC nerds.

Try it!!

41Lq2LfCQpL.jpg

I've got a couple Chemical Bros CDs, may have to pick up the DVD; thanks!

So a quick run down of what concerts or parts of concerts we watched at the GTG........

Dream Theater - Live At Budokan

Steve Vai - Where The Wild Things Are

Adele - Live at the Royal Albert Hall

The Who - Live at the Royal Albert Hall

Jeff Beck - Emotion and Commotion DVD Footage from Eric Claptons Crossroads Festival

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense (Thanks for bringing this one Chuck!)

Joe Bonamassa - Beacon Theater

Gary Moore - Live at Montreux 2010

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Live at Slane Castle

Black County Communion - Live over Europe

I hope that I did not forget any!!!

Going a bit old school this evening, from 1981... I've had the CD of this concert since I was in HS, but am just now getting around to watching the video - that I've owned for ~2 years now, never opened... :oops: Some good stuff in here. Things that strike me are: how much better a vocalist Garfunkel is compared to Simon - who's not bad by any means, but not stellar, at least not in this concert; how the two barely ever looked at each other, some clear tension; some great sax+horn arrangements (with the help of Dave Mathews, very interesting). Anyway, a cool and very historic concert, well worth watching.

2e0cf839231a3b966d9b6370d310d4ecd7208907.jpeg

Followed that up with a natural segue into this (though I have only the DVD, might have to upgrade to BD...) :

51fGP9B70kL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've also owned this one for a while, having seen part of it at Bat's GTG probably ~two years ago. I got it mainly because of the very first song, Bartender. Finally got around to watching the rest of the concert - >2.5 hrs! - as well as the ~40 min. "documentary" feature. Great show overall, lotsa good music. But Bartender is still the one that does it most for me, that's just an amazing performance.

516u6Mbk6dL.jpg

This one is near the top of my favorites list........I double dipped and bought this one on BR.......

RIP - Ronnie

Thoughts are with you Tony!

8593832.jpg

This one have been released for many years......I finally got it about a month ago and did my first watch/listen last night...

I was familiar with Cream and we actually played a few of there songs in our band.

This Concert is Fabulous............and the 3 of these guys just played great together and like they said in the interviews in the bonus material, it never seemed like it had been 40 yrs. :text-bravo:

Back