• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Concert Video are you listening to?

CSN 2012

I haven't listened to the entire Blu-Ray yet, but my first reaction is that Stills voice is just about gone. The first track they played was "Carry On" and it was downright painful. Granted, that song seemed to be hard for even Nash and Crosby to sing, too. Nash bytheway still has a nice voice, but he comes nowhere near hitting the really high notes anymore; that is, assuming he ever could do it live. It's not like CSN ever sounded quite the same live as they did in the studio.

"Marrakesh Express", where Nash sings lead, sounds decent enough. And Crosby sounds OK on "Long Time Coming", considering his age and all the substance abuse throughout the years.

Glad I didn't pay too much for this one, yet---even if it is a little hit and miss---I'm nonetheless happy to have this concert added alongside my "Daylight Again" and "Acoustic" DVDs. Now I just need to get that DVD of the Crosby-Nash duo that was aired on HDnet last year. I'm a big fan of just the Crosby-Nash years.

41k5g1ptCrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51pbYWwoveL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Shoot, this is a disappointment. :(

This is one of the best DVD concerts I own; performance, video, sound, showmanship, it has it all! :eusa-clap:

It came out on Bluray last week, I actually double-dipped/preordered it, which I usually don't do.

The Sound may be better, I'll need to do a back-to-back comparison with the DVD to know for sure, but I can tell immediately that the picture isn't any better, very poor. :( Glad it was only $12.

I picked this one up awhile age for $14.99, just to add to the collection. I am not a big Jewel Fan, but like some of her music.

This is a 2 concert Blu Ray ( 3 hour and 42 min). I am almost finished watching the concert from the Meyerson Symphony Center in Dallas, Texas. This is a GREAT BR Concert. I would pick it up if you like Jewel just a bit!!

51TiFdfiiqL.jpg

^^ is it slutty Jewel or country Jewel or what? :happy-smileygiantred:

Batman said:

Can't we have both? Because there's nothin' like a pretty country girl turned Corn Star. :music-rockout:

Kazaam said:
Batman said:

Can't we have both? Because there's nothin' like a pretty country girl turned Corn Star. :music-rockout:

BOTH!!!! THERE ARE SOME SONGS, THAT YOU JUST WANT TO GRAB HER AND SAY...........

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTlW102g7gc[/youtube]

KD-Lang-Live-In-London-474896.jpg

Watched this again tonight. I've had this video for a while, one of the earlier concert vids I got on BD actually. I think I'd only watched the whole thing through once before, and I liked it but it didn't move me - at the time. Dunno what it is, maybe having listened to her albums a fair bit in the past couple of years, vs. not being all that familiar with her music when I first got this video. But tonight this one really resonated with me, she is such an amazing artist, and there are some outstanding performances on here. I think "Valley" is my favorite, or possibly "Coming Home" - I love that line, "I'm happily indifferent to the ones who have consistently been wrong." Good philosophy! If we all lived like that...

I'm also quite impressed with the production quality of the video. The filming is excellent, the sound quite clear (though in the first few songs I kinda had the feeling that KD's voice was kinda "narrow" and not mic'ed well... dunno, but by later in the concert I didn't notice, either they changed it or I just got used to it), the setting is beautiful with a small intimate audience, and the lighting was just fantastic - great use of color that really added to the concert. And I don't normally care about such things.

Anyway, watch this one if you can, good stuff.

PaulyT said:
Pauly, this is one of my all-time favorites too. k.d. isn't much to look at, but That Voice!!! :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue: The venue, as you say, is absolutely incredible too, love the lit bare trees seen thru the cathedral windows and the gorgeous panning. My favorite song is "Hallelujah" (didn't care for the arrangement/performance of my favorite tune of hers, Constant Craving :( ).
I think the picture is one of the best in my collection too, but did you notice, its in 1080i?

No I didn't notice that, but my screen is only 46" LCD and nothing special...

And yeah I like her version of Hallelujah a lot. I guess I've heard that song a lot lately, so it doesn't do as much for me as some of the others... I'm actually listening to Jeff Buckley's version right now, an interesting comparison.

And while it's true that KD isn't beautiful in the traditional feminine sense (and of course, she is quite openly gay), she is very expressive and is fun to watch.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYiMJ2bC65A[/youtube]

From wikipedia:

Lang also sang it at the 2006 Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame on the occasion of Cohen's induction into the Hall of Fame.[19] Of that rendition, Cohen's partner, singer Anjani Thomas, said: "After hearing k.d. lang perform that song at the Canadian Songwriter's Hall of Fame in 2006 we looked at each other and said, 'well, I think we can lay that song to rest now! It's really been done to its ultimate blissful state of perfection'."

You can see her greeting Cohen at the end of the above video.

1125900_12167_popup.jpg

With a symphony orchestra, no less.

AEofC are a very weird/experimental jazz group, but if I'm in the right mood they're fun. Lester was still alive for this concert too. :handgestures-thumbup:

113800908721784.jpg

Performance - 4.5 Stars
Audio Quality - 4 Stars
Picture Quality - 4.5 Stars

goats.jpg

I'm pretty confident when I say that I'm the only person on this forum to whom this music will appeal; it's hard to even describe what it is... part classical chamber music, part Appalachian/bluegrass, part folk, part 20th/21st century "classical" modern composition. But wow this is serious music, but fun at the same time. This is REAL music, by my definition. This is the sort of thing I will go back to multiple times. I enjoyed it this first time tonight, and their rendition of the Bach Gamba sonata brought tears to my eyes, it was just that good. But I can't picture anyone else 'round here really getting into this music... which is ok, this is narrow niche sort of stuff, but I think these guys are really doing something profound and original here. If you want something completely, completely different, check this one out.

:text-link:

Back