• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Concert Video are you listening to?

A bit of a side note, but look at the guitar Joe is playing in part of this concert:

From what I can tell (although I can't prove it), this is THE guitar played by Albert King in this other fairly well known video with him and a younger Stevie Ray Vaughan (from the early 80's). But of course Joe plays it right-handed, Albert flips it over and plays it left-handed.

I love how Albert says Stevie is "pretty good." :laughing:

Of course the other big parallel connection is that Reese Wynans, SRV/Double Trouble's keyboardist, has been playing/touring with Joe for many years, including in the above concert.

A bit of a side note, but look at the guitar Joe is playing in part of this concert:

From what I can tell (although I can't prove it), this is THE guitar played by Albert King in this other fairly well known video with him and a younger Stevie Ray Vaughan (from the early 80's). But of course Joe plays it right-handed, Albert flips it over and plays it left-handed.

I love how Albert says Stevie is "pretty good." :laughing:

Could very well be Albert's left handed V being played upside down.

Good catch.

When we lost Chick, I headed to Amazoid to see any recent releases I may have missed (I mourn the loss of Keyboard magazine, where I could sorta keep up). I found this, and ordered it:

chick-corea-the-chick-corea-elektric-band-%E2%80%8E-live-at-the-iowa-state-university-1987(movie)-20150923092852.jpg

I saw that it was recorded at a club at Iowa State University (my first alma mater) but I didn't recognize the club (granted, this was 8~10 years later). When I first looked at the liner notes I noted only Weckl and Patitucci were listed, making me think it was his Akoustic Band, but its actually a VERY early version of the Elektric* (John was playing his 6-string Alembic, Dave had his two racks of electronics (more than I've ever had, as a keyboardist) and Chick was playing his KX-88 (MIDI controller, don't know what was in his rack) on top of his Rhodes 73, with a Synclavier (complete with CRT monitor and cartridge-loaded keyboard) and a Linndrum on top of another keyboard that he didn't play, at least on this video). No Minimoog!
*The Elektric Band's first album (one of my Top-Ten, "desert-island" albums) had TWO guitarists on it, they weren't present on this show (they were both replaced by Gambale and altoist what's-his-name by the second album, which remained their permanent lineup). It was so cool to me, as a musician, to hear these early versions of these tunes BEFORE they were commited to vinyl, er, CD. Chick also played his KX-whatever, a strap-on keyboard, on the last two tunes on this video. You canNOT look cool, playing on a strap-on keyboard, unless you're Chick.
And, hey, Weckl burns on the last two tunes, also.

I only got to see the Elektric Band once. I had bought a ticket to see them in Santa Fe, I think it was on a Monday night, and then KAFB sent me to Boulder CO for a TDY that Tuesday. I drove from Albuquerque to Santa Fe to see the first show, then drove from SF to Boulder after the show. I got to bed at OMG:30 to hopefully catch 2 or 3 hours of sleep, but I was still so hyped there was nothing. Got thru the first four hours of the meeting, was still hyped; then we went to lunch. The afternoon meeting was hell, I spent a lot of it standing up in the back of the room; my adrenaline was gone. What a trip!

This video is on DVD. I remember how much better DVDs looked, than VHS, when they came out. But, after watching Blurays and streaming for a few years, the pic quality here is not that good. And, even though the disk gives both Dolby and DTS 5.1 surround options, I'm only hearing stereo. Still, for a Chick fan like me, well worth watching (twice, as I have so far tonight).

I was going to turn on The Delicate Sound of Thunder again last night and I realized it was already 10:30 pm and it was a school night so I will do that again soon.

unnamed%2863%29_13.jpg

A little different, a true pandemic video. Sept 2020, recorded live - to an empty house, but (they claim) to an online audience of 100k. Songs from his latest album. I didn't see it at the time, figuring "well this big a production I can spend $20 now to watch it once or $20 later to have a blu-ray I can watch whenever I want." I was right. ;) Just had to wait a bit; got this today.

Band is a little different from his usual lineup - bass (Rhodes) and keyboard (Wynans) are the usual, others are different. Still, good show, great SQ.

Hum.........Adrian Belew posted on FB that he will join them on part of their tour, I'm diggin' them.........

Skip to 5:15.............

I actually saw Turkuaz live a few years ago at a music festival here in Baltimore. Agreed, they're pretty good.

Fan of Turkuaz here too (probably due to you guys).
Belew is also collaborating with Todd Rundgren on at least four songs, don't know if that'll be part of one of their solo disks, or a duo EP/LP. :cool:

Not a full concert, but this concert closer popped up today, great video/sound (for '77).

They came to ISU when I was a freshman. Neat way to sell tix: each person in line could buy up to 10 tickets, and everyone was given a numbered "place in line" ticket. Every hour, everyone had to get back in line, numerically, and was issued another Line Ticket, in a different color. We quickly figured we needed 30 tickets for the dorm floor, and sent 3 line guys to the venue, three days before the tickets went on sale. We brought pizza and beer to the line guys, and replaced them every few hours. The three-day line was a huge all-day/night party, and I was somewhat concerned (being an Air Force ROTC student with full-ride scholarship) about some of the second-hand fumes I was detecting. (This is a great way to sell concert tickets to the fans, not to the billionaires who need even more money and have their bots buy up a whole show on-line in milliseconds, and start bidding wars on eBay (great if you want to get rich, not so much if you're a music fan. Ahem.))

Anyhoo, we ended up with 30 tickets, Rows 2 and 3, center stage for the Who! This was their first tour after Keith's passing, but still a fantastic show. Pete had a rack of nine Les Pauls, each with a number in white tape on the body, and the guitar players on my dorm floor told me each of those guitars were tuned differently, wow! We were close enough to the stage to really feel the heat of the flashpots that went off during Roger's scream in the above song.

To this day I still don't think I own a Who album, was never the biggest fan, but that was in my Top Five concerts of all time. :happy:

Not a full concert, but this concert closer popped up today, great video/sound (for '77).

They came to ISU when I was a freshman. Neat way to sell tix: each person in line could buy up to 10 tickets, and everyone was given a numbered "place in line" ticket. Every hour, everyone had to get back in line, numerically, and was issued another Line Ticket, in a different color. We quickly figured we needed 30 tickets for the dorm floor, and sent 3 line guys to the venue, three days before the tickets went on sale. We brought pizza and beer to the line guys, and replaced them every few hours. The three-day line was a huge all-day/night party, and I was somewhat concerned (being an Air Force ROTC student with full-ride scholarship) about some of the second-hand fumes I was detecting. (This is a great way to sell concert tickets to the fans, not to the billionaires who need even more money and have their bots buy up a whole show on-line in milliseconds, and start bidding wars on eBay (great if you want to get rich, not so much if you're a music fan. Ahem.))

Anyhoo, we ended up with 30 tickets, Rows 2 and 3, center stage for the Who! This was their first tour after Keith's passing, but still a fantastic show. Pete had a rack of nine Les Pauls, each with a number in white tape on the body, and the guitar players on my dorm floor told me each of those guitars were tuned differently, wow! We were close enough to the stage to really feel the heat of the flashpots that went off during Roger's scream in the above song.

To this day I still don't think I own a Who album, was never the biggest fan, but that was in my Top Five concerts of all time. :happy:
What???? My goodness man, get out and at least buy Who's Next!! Huge part of my teenage years. Can't tell you how many times me and my friends sat around screaming/singing "teenage wasteland,oh,yeah" Good times.
I saw them twice, once indoors, once outdoors. Outdoors on the floor, frightening!!

Back