• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Movie(s) Did You Watch Today?

I disagree. Three recent movies, Dune, Ghostbusters: Afterlife, and Free Guy, have me thinking there's no need to buy physical discs again.
I have admittedly not bought a disc in a long time and greatly enjoy the convenience of streaming and it's getting better IMO. But I have still yet to see streaming quality that looks as good a blu-ray disc on my plasma TV. The resolution is technically there. The audio soundtrack is technically there. But the real world image quality, especially motion and black level are just not there. I have fast internet and am hard wired and I still see a ton of noise and artifacts especially in low light scenes. And this is across multiple platforms and devices. HBO Max, Amazon, Netflix, RoKu, Firestick, XBOX, etc.

And like Randy said I still enjoy having my physical library. I know it's going away like the dinosaurs but not because streaming is "better" IMO but rather just so much more practical. Not to mention content providers REALLY prefer that viewers not have hard copies to watch endlessly at their pleasure without monetizing each viewing or at the very least tracking viewing habits and analyzing/selling the data. This false evolution is IMO very similar to the way plasma TV's were replaced by (let's be honest) crappy first generation LCD and LED TV's. No one in their right mind believed these things actually looked better. But they were more practical, thinner, lighter, more durable (and cheaper to manufacture and ship as result) and at least on paper offered higher resolution which was a big selling/marketing point. And they have improved greatly over time as I imagine streaming will continue to do as well. But "progress" is not always true progress IMO. At least not in the early adoption/transition phases. I'll cling to my prehistoric plasma and buy the occasional hard copy on blu-ray only for very select titles.

Last edited:
Hoping mine lasts a little longer but I know I'm probably on borrowed time.
I sold my Samsung F8500 plasma to a friend about two years ago and gave him a very good deal. He LOVED that TV and went on and on about it in the AVS Kansas City enthusiasts thread. I was about to joke that he should give me more money but then the power supply died, so yeah, glad I didn't do that...

I sold my Samsung F8500 plasma to a friend about two years ago and gave him a very good deal. He LOVED that TV and went on and on about it in the AVS Kansas City enthusiasts thread. I was about to joke that he should give me more money but then the power supply died, so yeah, glad I didn't do that...
Power supplies seemed to be the Achilles heel of all plasmas. And there are no parts left to replace them. I have had my 60" Panasonic plasma plugged into a voltage regulator (Monster AVS2000) since day one in hopes of prolonging it's life. Seems to have worked (knock on wood) so far it's pretty old and still going strong. I'm sure it will go eventually. When it does I'll probably buy a smaller new gen display OLED or full array LED to watch regular TV and then maybe finally switch over to a projector for home theater use.

I still buy physical discs for certain movies, seems to me no matter what service I use the pic is always a little noisy but mainly for me it’s the audio as I’ve yet to stream even one film where the audio is as good as a disc.

It’s later today @ 7 but my new wife and I along with my kids, sister-in-law and her BF will see The Batman at an IMAX fan screening. I don’t have words for my excitement level right now.

POSSIBLE LIGHT SPOILER Warning!!!! Read at your own risk

Saw The Batman last night. My initial impression is it’s a solid 7.5-8/10….I need to see it again as it was long and a lot to take in. Production quality was off the charts. For the Batman character specifically, my first criteria is respect the character and source material. Those boxes are checked. The movie looks and feels like a graphic novel come to life. But different than say, Sin City. My reservation in scoring it higher is this feeling like the Riddler was always a step ahead, and while Batman and Gordon did a lot of sleuthing, they were always reacting to something rather than preventing it. Do you recall in the Big Bang Theory, Amy pointing out that all the events in Raiders of the Lost Ark would’ve played out exactly the same way had Indiana Jones not been in it?? That’s the feeling I get and why I need to rewatch. That said, this is a great foundation for what Reeves has planned for the world he is building both in subsequent sequels and HBO spin-offs….despite my feelings now, which I don’t see going backwards, I think those projects could potentially make The Batman even better retroactively, if that makes sense.

POSSIBLE LIGHT SPOILER Warning!!!! Read at your own risk

Saw The Batman last night. My initial impression is it’s a solid 7.5-8/10….I need to see it again as it was long and a lot to take in. Production quality was off the charts. For the Batman character specifically, my first criteria is respect the character and source material. Those boxes are checked. The movie looks and feels like a graphic novel come to life. But different than say, Sin City. My reservation in scoring it higher is this feeling like the Riddler was always a step ahead, and while Batman and Gordon did a lot of sleuthing, they were always reacting to something rather than preventing it. Do you recall in the Big Bang Theory, Amy pointing out that all the events in Raiders of the Lost Ark would’ve played out exactly the same way had Indiana Jones not been in it?? That’s the feeling I get and why I need to rewatch. That said, this is a great foundation for what Reeves has planned for the world he is building both in subsequent sequels and HBO spin-offs….despite my feelings now, which I don’t see going backwards, I think those projects could potentially make The Batman even better retroactively, if that makes sense.
Thanks for posting I am looking forward to seeing it.

Cannot wait to see this check out this review...

View attachment 11777
FYI read some internet chatter about the possibility of The Northman movie existing in a shared supernatural cinematic universe with Robert Egger's earlier film The Witch. Not sure how that would work because of the different time periods. But since Anna Taylor Joy is in both movies and along with Bjork there have been some witchy undertones to some of the stuff I have seen and read maybe there is some kind of tie in. Maybe one of the witchy characters migrates to North America and ends up being part of The Witch background story if not the actual Witch who lives in the woods and appears as a very old woman (when not using her witchy magic to disguise herself). Could be a very cool little Easter Egg connection. I will look for it when I see The Northman which I am guessing will be multiple times.

watched protege on amazon prime video, its free there.

was it worth it? sure thing since it cost zero melons.

was it a waste of time? i wouldnt call it that either, but it was good ol fun.

same thing with that maggie Q movie, protege, been itching to watch that one too.

watched spiderman, er... 3 (i dont remember the complete name of this one)....

anyways, its up there. super there with regards to story with spiderman into the verse.

great job on all accounts. one character stood out, and man, he was indeed scary.

i bought it via google. this is my second purchase and im pretty happy with google for now.

day one purchase for me. despite the disappointing second movie, this one is solid.

edit:

forgot to mention, im not a big spiderman fan. simply because of his story arch. very similar to batman, but i think i liked the revenge aspect that batman had, versus spidermans. i dunno, i guess its because spidey hits too close to the heart. batman? coincidence in a way, but with uncle ben, parker had an encounter BEFORE the event happens, which he couldve completely turned around to avoid his fate.

this is my opinion without having coffee, and/or barely waking up.

also they finally showed kraven the last hunter yesterday. :D

just a heads up, this ones coming up on friday, April 1st...

The contractor with chris pine.

its in movie theaters but i didnt expect it to be digital release as well on day 1. you can purchase via your regular stream sucking services.

Back