• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Movie(s) Did You Watch Today?

Watched "The Town" via DirectTV on demand. I think I went in with high expectations because I thought it was just okay. Some good action but the story lines were kind of weak (specifically the "romance" part of it).
m2186258.jpg

We watched The King's Speech. I thought it was good and while I think there are more entertaining movies ou there, this is the kind of stuff that gets Oscar consideration.

51Ib3hapgiL.jpg

51TVdD%2BAQSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Totally surprised by how much I liked this one, thought it was going to be a total dud.

This version, by Ridley Scott, tells the story Of Robin Hood before he was in Sherewood, how he arrives there and helps the country thwart off a French invasion.

Not tons of action, enough to keep most guys interested, but this one is mostly about the story.

If you passed this one up thinking it was a bomb, give the first 30 minutes a try, if you're still interested then you'll like the 2 hours that follow.

D

Doghart said:
Totally surprised by how much I liked this one, thought it was going to be a total dud.

D

Ditto. it was much better than I expected. Good call!

^ spoiler...doghart, something I did not expect going into this film, was that they clearly tried to set this up as a ongoing series. As I noticed it nearing the end based on the clock, I was thinking or wondering how they were going fit all this "canon" into the last few minutes...then it was over. I know it was reviewed as just above average in general and I didn't check box office totals, but I enjoyed it enough to anticipate further installments...time will tell.

Also (just me with a minor rant), Hollywood has to be careful with these director/actor combos constantly resurfacing. Think Burton/Depp(as soon as I see "from director Tim Burton" I simply assume Depp is the lead) Howard/Hanks, for example and I'm sure there are more. Obviously Ridley Scott had worked with Crowe on Gladiator and I'm sure Crowe was at the top of the directors list to play the lead role from the outset, but the two movies have enough parallels to me for it to be somewhat of a distraction. Before I even saw the movie, Gladiator was the first thing I thought of when I saw the trailer for Robin Hood. Obviously it works fine when the project is vastly different from prior collaborations, but with Robin Hood I just feel you could see the influence of Scott working with Crowe on a very similar past project (Gladiator)...

JurassicParkPack.jpg

Finally introduced my kids to this series and we watched Jurassic Park and The Lost World as a family over the last few nights...I was holding off letting the kids watch due to the graphically intense scenes. My 10yo who is 11 in Feb, can handle most things (upto pg13) but my youngest is still 7. He did fine with the movies though and they wound up enjoying them more than I expected. We may do Jurassic Park 3 today or tonight since it's another snow day and we could get an early start...

I didn't watch these today but recently I watched two movies.

The King's Speech
This wasn't as good as the Oscar hype lead me to believe. It wasn't bad, but there are more entertaining movies to be seen. Colin Firth's performance is good but the character just isn't that compelling.

It's Kind of a Funny Story
Loved! This! Movie!
That may be because of my own life experiences but my wife and daughter enjoyed it as well. Seriously... I don't know why this flew under the radar as long as it has. I challenge you to watch this movie and not feel better when it's over.

T7, you're right that one flew under the radar! I recall seeing the trailer some time ago and was thinking it was yet to be released in theaters...did you see it on disc or is it still in theaters? I'm definitely interested based on the trailer and now you're positive review. (unless of course it got trashed locally there in Texas, that would explain why you liked it :happy-smileygiantred: )

goaliechris said:
Some good action but the story lines were kind of weak (specifically the "romance" part of it).
Maybe because it's an action / suspense movie? I thought it was pretty good as its genre.

Notice the names above the faces don't match. Graphic design flaw. :handgestures-thumbdown:

Scott-Pilgrim-Vs-The-World-2010-720p-BluRay-x264-Felony.jpg

This movie most-assuredly is NOT for everyone. It has some definite demo scenes w/o a doubt. I am not familiar with the comics/video game which it is based on so I went in unfamiliar with the background of Scott Pilgrim. As I sit here trying to describe what I just saw, I simply can't put it into words. "Enter At Your Own Risk" and try to enjoy, some of you will and some of you definitely will not, I'm still on the fence... :think:

Batman said:
T7, you're right that one flew under the radar! I recall seeing the trailer some time ago and was thinking it was yet to be released in theaters...did you see it on disc or is it still in theaters? I'm definitely interested based on the trailer and now you're positive review. (unless of course it got trashed locally there in Texas, that would explain why you liked it :happy-smileygiantred: )

Ha. I don't recall reading a review of It's Kind of a Funny Story. I tend not to read movie reviews for things I'm interested in until after I've seen the movie. It'll be released on disc on Feb. 8th.

Towen7 said:
Batman said:

Ha. I don't recall reading a review of It's Kind of a Funny Story. I tend not to read movie reviews for things I'm interested in until after I've seen the movie. It'll be released on disc on Feb. 8th.
I am that way too. I used to read reviews so as not to waste my time or money. I find myself now just making comparisons to reviews after the fact to see how my own judgments compare to "professional" critics (not that it makes a difference in me liking or not). I see so many movies by myself on rainy days that usually it just gives me something to do for a couple hours. About the only time I pay any mind to the review or lack there of, is when the studio knows the movie is SO bad they don't do a pre-screening for the media. That's a sure sign of a probable BOMB.

Watched "Precious" last night what a fucked up movie. After it was over I said to the GF, "that was tragic" she goes, "see you have a heart" I said,"yeah when her mom tossed that tv down six flights stairs to kill Precious and her newborn, she ruined a perfectly good CRT TV". :happy-smileygiantred:

Friday & Sat I watched the all three of these outstanding, well done movies a that I have been on my short list for sometime now. I really enjoyed this series and did not want it to end but as all good things they must, I highly recommend checking these out. I just hope if there is an american version they won't screw it up or better yet just leave it alone.

girl_with_the_dragon_tattoo_ver3.jpg

the-girl-who-played-with-fire-movie-poster-1020552776.jpg

Girl-who-kicked-the-hornets-nest.jpg

Finally finished the Jurassic Park trilogy last night with the kids. BIG "meh" for the third one for me, serious drop-off from the first two.

MotoGP2009OfficialReview.jpg

I'm always a year behind on these compilations, because the MotoGP organization charges $34.99 for the current year, and I won't pay more than $20.
2009, and it still isn't in Surround Sound! :angry-tappingfoot:

Watched R.E.D. a week or so ago. It's a fun movie, especially if you can ignore all of the holes in the plot.

512skwb1h5L.jpg

An older one, but hilarious! I was in tears...

Botch said:
I'm always a year behind on these compilations, because the MotoGP organization charges $34.99 for the current year, and I won't pay more than $20.
2009, and it still isn't in Surround Sound!
While I feel your frustration and admire your principle, I can tell you that this TT compilation on BD is worth every penny of its $30 price.

TT2010Review.jpg

Back