• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Zing's New (Mismatched) Center Channel

Wait a minute! The wife leaves for vacation, and you unveil new speakers the very next day? I like the way you work Zing! Oh, and you suck!!!

Zing said:
I may have neglected to mention that my mismatched front stage is not because of the Dynaudio center channel and Swan mains but because of the Focus 210C center and the brand spankin' new Contour S 3.4 LE mains.

:happy-smileygiantred:

Full.jpg

I could see that one coming a mile away.....................anyway, enjoy your new toys!

and you do remarkably suck!

heeman said:
You forgot to mention the surrounds??????????????? :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:
I may recycle the Swans for surround duty. Really. I mean that. I did not buy new surround speakers. Really. I mean that too.

AndySTL said:
What are you powering these 4ohm beauties with?
The LE's are connected to a Parasound A23. The 210 is currently connected to an Emotiva XPA-100.

I used to power all speakers with three A23's but a couple of years ago, the one connected to my center died (out of warranty, of course). At the time, the XPA was less expensive than shipping and repair charges for the Halo, plus I had it in two days as opposed to waiting two weeks or two months. As it turns out, it's a very capable and impressive amp.

Well, I am late to the party, but you sir do indeed SUCK!!!

Nice lookin setup. I really dig the guitar above the fireplace. I am still debating on hanging my ESP bass and buying a les paul and strat copy to hang display.

So... are you (Zing) going to enlighten us with your thoughts on your new speakers?

Towen7 said:
So... are you (Zing) going to enlighten us with your thoughts on your new speakers?
Exactly what I was thinking as well.

Jeff

ps. Zing: huge congrats!

ps. All you need now is a huge SVS sub for the back corner and you're all set. :)

Congrats!!!

I bet those things sound so real you could probably smell Jeff Portnoy's farts. :text-bravo:

I'm guessing that we're not hearing from Zing because he's re-listening to his entire music collection :)

Can't wait to enjoy this with you, Zing!! Although I am so far away, my heart is always with you,in our home! ;)

Also, you SUCK, big time!! :laughing:

I spent a few blissful hours with them Tuesday evening (which is the day they arrived) but I had zero time with them yesterday. I had work to contend with during the day and I had dinner plans with a friend last night. My friend came back to the house for a cocktail and left at 11:00. I had to be up at 4:00 this morning to meet my cousin to do my first bit of trout fishing in 8 years. So I'm really looking forward to this evening, tomorrow and the weekend in the theater to put them through their paces.

The imaging on these things is RIDICULOUSLY SICK! I was always impressed with the imaging of the Swans and I wasn't alone. I've had a few (non forum) analytical listeners who've made unsolicited comments about their imaging. Sure, the room, speaker placement and acoustic treatments play their roles in the matter but still the Swans held their own. These Contours have completely schooled the Swans. For the first time in years, I had to look at the display of my Pre/Pro to verify it was in Stereo mode and not some multichannel soundfield. And despite seeing the word "stereo" displayed, I still had to put an ear up to the center channel to make sure nothing was coming out of it.

I simply placed the Contours right where the Swans were - which is to say as wide as the room will allow - and that makes just over 9 feet between them and 9 feet away from my listening position. It took Steely Dan's "Cousin Dupree" to convince me I hadn't made a mistake in connecting the speaker cables and didn't have one out of phase. Anita Baker's "Fairy Tales" clearly showed 5 distinct areas where an instrument was emanating from and I don't recall ever noticing that before on that track. Admittedly, the placebo effect may be coming into play because I know I'm listening to new speakers and trying to hear the differences. Still...I am not unimpressed with any aspect of the speakers.

I played around a bit with them in full range mode and I can confidently say "NO SUB REQUIRED". They played a note in Spyro Gyra's "Monsoon" that the Swans couldn't dream about on their best day. If that's not enough, I didn't hear a difference in that note even when crossed to the subs.

In KEM's "Beautiful World" - which is a very, VERY clean recording by the way - the finger snaps were crisp and prominent sounding with the Swans but now I'm noticing an almost 3D sound to them with the Contours.

If you can't tell, I'm digging these speakers and not just a little bit.

Back