• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Zing's New (Mismatched) Center Channel

Fantastic! Nothing like having a big purchase prove its worth in spades!

I told you so.
:eusa-whistle:

Now just come down and give a listen in my room. :happy-smileygiantred:

Glad you like them....it's not placebo....the imaging is stunning....and will remain that way.

Zing said:
I may have neglected to mention that my mismatched front stage is not because of the Dynaudio center channel and Swan mains but because of the Focus 210C center and the brand spankin' new Contour S 3.4 LE mains.

:happy-smileygiantred:

Full.jpg

DICK!!

Okay, now that I'm (somewhat) over my jealousy induced hissy fit...congrats!! That's awesome!! I bet you'll be saying, "Hey! Come listen to THIS a lot over the next few months."

Enjoy!

John

PS You still suck...

So now that I have new speakers, I'm getting suggestions of things to check out. Today I get this PM about a song that starts with "I would never post this on the forum but..." and proceeds to suggest Madonna's 'Vogue' has some audiophile merits. I'm not sure why this person would never post that info on the forum. Maybe this person doesn't want any ribbing because it's Madonna. Audiophile merits are audiophile merits. Who gives a shit who the artist is? If One Direction has a song that's demo worthy, aren't we all going to check it out?

I immediately decided to pursue it. I was a little hesitant though because the only copy of 'Vogue' I have is on her Immaculate Collection disc which is a greatest hits album. Everyone knows how greatest hits discs and remastered discs get butchered. Much to my surprise, this was a fantastic presentation.

I think it's safe to say we've all experienced the phenomenon of 2-channel music seemingly emanating from several spots up front. But how many emanate from around the room like a 5.1 or 7.1 track? Well, 2-channel stereo 'Vogue' does just that. There are sounds up front, to the side, behind you, above you, etc. I found it incredible that a 2-channel source can offer such a 360 degree, 3D sounding image.

If you have this track in your collection - and you don't have to admit it if it is - check it out. It's not unimpressive.

Zing said:
So now that I have new speakers, I'm getting suggestions of things to check out. Today I get this PM about a song that starts with "I would never post this on the forum but..." and proceeds to suggest Madonna's 'Vogue' has some audiophile merits. I'm not sure why this person would never post that info on the forum. Maybe this person doesn't want any ribbing because it's Madonna. Audiophile merits are audiophile merits. Who gives a shit who the artist is? If One Direction has a song that's demo worthy, aren't we all going to check it out?

I immediately decided to pursue it. I was a little hesitant though because the only copy of 'Vogue' I have is on her Immaculate Collection disc which is a greatest hits album. Everyone knows how greatest hits discs and remastered discs get butchered. Much to my surprise, this was a fantastic presentation.

I think it's safe to say we've all experienced the phenomenon of 2-channel music seemingly emanating from several spots up front. But how many emanate from around the room like a 5.1 or 7.1 track? Well, 2-channel stereo 'Vogue' does just that. There are sounds up front, to the side, behind you, above you, etc. I found it incredible that a 2-channel source can offer such a 360 degree, 3D sounding image.

If you have this track in your collection - and you don't have to admit it if it is - check it out. It's not unimpressive.
Madonna's "Vogue" has been part of my demo list ever since it came out. I've also used The Backstreet Boys' "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" on occasion but for slightly different reasons. Vogue has a lot of nuances in it - and some amazing energy in the deep regions. Backstreet has tremendous bass energy and will clearly demonstrate the difference between big full-range speakers and everything else.

Jeff

Fantastic looking system Zing, nice clean/modern look. By the way is the Hulk your favorite superhero?

Some info on why Madonna sounds extraordinary in on the Vogue track, in soundstage and image etc...

Originally titled Ultra Madonna, the name was changed as Warner Bros. felt that it was too similar to the name of dance artist Ultra Naté. The production of this album is notable for its use of QSound; all songs were mixed in using it, except "Justify My Love" and "Rescue Me". A QSound mix of "Justify My Love" was later released on the US maxi-single to the song.

QSound is the original name for a positional three-dimensional (3D) sound processing algorithm from QSound Labs that creates 3D audio effects from multiple monophonic sources and sums the outputs to two channels for presentation over regular stereo speakers.

QSound is essentially a filtering algorithm. It manipulates timing, amplitude and frequency response to produce a binaural image. Systems like QSound rely on the fact that a sound arriving from one side of the listener will reach one ear before the other and that when it reaches the furthest ear, it is lower in amplitude and spectrally altered due to obstruction by the head. However, the ideal algorithm was arrived at empirically, with parameters adjusted according to the outcomes of many listening tests.[2]

Selected albums "mixed in QSound"[edit]
Over 60 albums feature QSound processing. Some notable examples include:
The Adventures of MC Skat Kat and the Stray Mob by MC Skat Kat (1991)
Amused to Death by Roger Waters (1992)
Broken China by Rick Wright (1996)
The Immaculate Collection by Madonna (1990)
Dangerous by Michael Jackson (1991)
Parallels by Fates Warning (1991)
Pulse by Pink Floyd (1995)
Power of Love by Luther Vandross (1991)
The Soul Cages by Sting (1991)
Spellbound by Paula Abdul (1991)
Help Yourself by Julian Lennon (1991)
Whaler by Sophie B. Hawkins (1994)
Prisoners in Paradise by Europe (1991)

Well that certainly explains a lot. I had know idea. Thanks for the info, Troy. And thanks for the Vogue tip, Mr. Anonymous.

Jeff, I'll be sure to check out the BB track too. I wouldn't want to rob Towen and Kazaam of fodder.

To add to Troy's great info, Madonna's long-time co-writer and producer was one each Patrick Leonard, a huge proponent of Qsound and also the producer of Roger Waters' Amused to Death. He had a monthly column in Keyboard magazine and he was always divulging cool studio tricks, a few that I was able to steal for my own uses.
He was also one-half of the duo Toy Matinee, whose only album didn't sell well but, especially the 5.1 mix that I have, is one of my demo pieces, incredible-sounding record!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GLfTGz6EeA[/youtube]

Zing, I'm a huge Madonna fan, have about 2/3rds of her albums and she's always had the best engineers/producers in the biz; check out Ray of Light, which she did with synth/dance maestro William Orbit, if you don't already have it. :music-listening:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3ov9USxVxY[/youtube]

Oh man, watching that really brought back some memories. I played in one band for about a year wherein I had to pre-program a lot of synths and beats, the band would then play along with click tracks in our monitors. That particular song I spent more time slowly turning filter sweep knobs than I did actually playing keys, great fun! :music-rockout:

I have a few Madonna, CD's but Vogue was not on any of them, time to research and to find out that the original was on the Dick Tracey Soundtrack CD; I'm Breathless. :text-imsorry:

I don't have the BB tune that Jeff mentioned (hey Towen & Kazaam - :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered: ) so I can't comment.

Ray of Light was good but I wish I had heard that track before Vogue because Vogue was downright phenomenal!

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Feel free to continue.

Yeah try some Joe Bon....

nevermind.

Zing said:
I don't have the BB tune that Jeff mentioned (hey Towen & Kazaam - :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered: ) so I can't comment.

Ray of Light was good but I wish I had heard that track before Vogue because Vogue was downright phenomenal!

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Feel free to continue.

It is pretty good, isn't it. I swear she's whispering in my left ear at times. The bass is really deep as well.

signed,
Anonymous.

Back