• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

BLUES Music

Re: Re:rock/' BLUES Music

nats said:
this one is less refined then live at albert hall but in a good way

Interesting, I've been kinda vaguely considering getting that one... I'm really pleased with the Royal Albert Hall concert on BD with DTS-MA audio! :eusa-clap: Not that my experience is very broad, but it's the best SQ from a live concert that I've heard. And damn good music to boot!

Re: Re:rock/' BLUES Music

PaulyT said:
nats said:
this one is less refined then live at albert hall but in a good way

Interesting, I've been kinda vaguely considering getting that one... I'm really pleased with the Royal Albert Hall concert on BD with DTS-MA audio! :eusa-clap: Not that my experience is very broad, but it's the best SQ from a live concert that I've heard. And damn good music to boot!
you will also love this one,and it has your favorite song,india time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCaRdCQCSuc[/youtube]

Too good to miss mentioning . . . * :handgestures-thumbup:

51p%2BIfEIdXL._SS500_.jpg

(released 1998)

Her first cd, and very possibly her best.

517tfytQVqL._SS500_.jpg

Eric Bibb – "Booker's Guitar" (Telarc Records)
Photo courtesy Telarc Records Although inspired by pre-war Delta blues music, Eric Bibb has brought the acoustic country-blues sound into the new century with Booker's Guitar, and as such his material has all of the gravitas and punch of the old stuff, combined with the immediacy and vitality of modern music. The blues of Booker's Guitar won't be to every listener's liking – this is blues music for the brain as well as the heart and soul, and if you'll take the time to thoroughly enjoy Eric Bibb's Booker's Guitar, you'll be richly rewarded.

619xIxK%2Bh1L._SS400_.jpg

Just finished listening to this one, and it's great! Terrific music. Good surround mix. Great bass line - that 6-string on the first couple of tracks would make for some excellent demo material.

And Zing, it's got Jon Cleary on piano! I didn't even realize that when I ordered this.

I got the SACD, it's a hybrid so you'll basically have both. I think this one's worth the extra $$ for a good surround experience.

51%2B9ROyJf9L._SS500_.jpg

Anyone heard/own this one?

I'd like some opinions/input from Annex members before venturing a purchase.

I've heard a few of her songs I like, but am not a devout fan.
How'd she do with this one?

I've done some reading of reviews, but still very undecided.

(very different from my usual blues artists list)

:text-thankyoublue:

I have it. It's interesting, actually, and I think it's worth the money esp. if you get it used from amazon. While Lauper's voice certainly isn't a typical blues voice, she does a decent job of it. Vocals on some songs are better than others. The other musicians are all very good, and it shows.

Edit: see my post in this thread from Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:39 pm. ;) (and those that follow)

PaulyT said:
Ok, the song "Burning Hell" from that CD is seriously smokin'!

Play it here... you can listen to the whole song the first time you click this link.

Wow!

Thanks for that link Pauly.

One of the cleanest streaming audio downloads I've come across. :banana-rock:

And it's got the blues harmonica wailing.

That seems to be a lost art these days.

back to reading this thread

Glad you enjoyed it! And good to see you 'round these parts, Bob!

I just got back from the coolest music store. The place is a dump. Ratty green carpet on the floor, boxes and boxes stacked all over the place. Old CD cases "organized" and labeled with hand written place cards. Piles and piles of vinyl records made it hard to navigate what was supposed to be rows. It looked like someone's garage. The only staff was a 20 year old kid in converse shoes and a too tight Misfits t-shirt. There was David Bowie blaring on some old Radio Shack speakers. It felt like someone's garage.

I looked around and saw lots of old and unknown stuff that I thought was pretty neat. I expected no help when I asked if they had any Blues music. The kid just smiled at me and said "follow me". He walked right to one of a hundred identical cardboard boxes and pulled out a stack of Buddy Guy, Gatemouth Brown, Albert King, Otis Rush, Jr. Wells, John Lee Hooker... He spent the next 15 minutes taking me to school on the history of a Lightnin' Hopkins and Katie Webster...

Anywho... I walked out with this (and some non-blusey selections) and plan to go back for more. I can find better prices on the web but this place was neat.

51crNQFvY5L._SS400_.jpg

Cool! Never heard of Hopkins, will have to look him up.

T7 - that place sounds great! Can we take a field trip there sometime during your GTG? If so, can I take a picture of you...standing in front of the store...wearing a Santonio Holmes jersey? Please? Pretty please?? I'll be your best friend.

Back