• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

CMonster Condo HT

You could pretty easily put a rubber isolation layer on the floor with foam padding and wood flooring on that.

Batman said:
Have you considered demoing the entire area and reconfiguring the bathroom space there. Perhaps even go so far as to put a closet down the stairs in to the foyer area or a smaller footprint for the bathroom & closet to gain more sq footage for the HT. If you plan on being here for the long haul and the HT is a high priority concerning performance, nothing would be off the table if it fit the budget. Just don't forget storage for the archery target.

Our initial thought was to demo the entire area except the bathroom; we were thinking of having its door moved so it was accessed from the main hallway (the large closet space in front of it would be shortened to accommodate this yet still hold the archery target and table tennis top for the pool table).

Towen7 said:
Is that a portal to another dimension in the hallway between the master bath and rec area?
I now have an idea for a sign to put above any stair case I put in a house.

John

Pics!

Let's start with demo:
BDEC0A5A-E287-4B87-8F98-9DD2B0513883_zpspm5zykho.jpg

59712E3D-8B9E-472E-A6C0-4DA9912BC8CD_zpsriv1o12e.jpg

2F1B100D-61B4-46FB-A36A-879F6CE04A6F_zpsa2plpcyb.jpg

Part of this project involves moving the door to a bathroom. Guess what we found in the new door location?

22AD6EF5-CC25-42B2-8F06-2EC496BF9FE2_zpsgu4kcrma.jpg

Luckily they were able to re-route the duct pretty easily.

Rendering of the custom shelving unit for the back of the room. The solid panels on the bottom will be fabric with bass traps behind. The larger slatted door on the top, left side will hold a pull-out, rotating equipment rack:

308_Condo_cabinets_base1_zps96lf4zgq.jpg

The front of the room will have a new stereo amplifier, most likely a Parasound A21, to drive the front left and right speakers. I'll also put my existing Outlaw 7500 up there to drive the center channel, surround left, and surround right. I'll have two extra channels and I ran extra balanced cables in case I ever want to add front-width channels. I also ran a balanced cable for a subwoofer that I don't plan on using right away; I'm going to see how well just using tactile transducers in the seats work.

Just realized this thread was in the DIY section. Hmmm, well we did remove the old lighting from the room, ran some wires, and Angela will be painting. That counts, right???

We can move the thread to another section if you want, but it's fine here IMHO.

Too bad you have to cover over all the brick, it's a nice look - but I guess not very acoustically useful. ;)

Are you doing this yourself, or contracting? (or a mix) That's a big job, in any case!

How old is the building?

Too bad you have to cover over all the brick, it's a nice look - but I guess not very acoustically useful. ;)

The brick on the side walls isn't in the greatest shape so it doesn't bother me too much to cover it. The brick on the window wall is nice and aside from some absorption panels, most likely, it'll be left exposed.

Last edited:
Are you doing this yourself, or contracting? (or a mix) That's a big job, in any case!

How old is the building?

We hired an architecture/fabrication firm called Studio Build to design a new fireplace, spiral staircase, and the HT. They in turn recommended a general contractor who has been awesome.

From the bar/restaurant/jazz club on the first floor of the building (http://thephoenixkc.com/the-history-of-the-phoenix-jazz-club/):
The corner of downtown Kansas City where the Phoenix now sits used to be known as part of the Burgeoning Garment District in 1888. The Phoenix was there from the beginning, a somewhat shady hotel that was rumored to be more of a bordello than a hotel. On the first floor there was a speak-easy type saloon owned and operated by bartender Frank Valerius, and on the second floor was a “hotel” owned by Mrs. Linna Laws.

Wow! You mean you're actually LIVING in a "four floors of whores" building? That's totally awesome! :mocking:

Cool pics! I am certain that this room will be fantastic. Chuck, your attention to detail is amazing.

What projector are you going with?

Back