• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

CMonster Condo HT

By the way, the C2 Platinums were purchased used along with the Contour 1.4s from a dealer in Florida. I have yet to notice a flaw in their gloss finish but I probably will need to figure out a way to prevent glare off of them, and no, it won't be plasti-dip.

WOW!!!

All I can say is WOW!!!

Lookin good Chuck! Cant wait to see it.

BTW, I just invited myself!!! LMFAO

Huh, guess I must've forgotten to mention that before... :biggrin:
Ummm.. Did Heeman drop ship them to you instead of me by mistake? I thought I had dibs when he made the direct jump to C4s.

Jeff

Ignoring my play on words attempt, to answer your questions (sort of)...

It really depends on whether you are pushing the fluid through the test section or pulling it through. Almost every wind tunnel does the former because it is much more important to control the flow conditions as it enters the test section (among other factors.)

It's much tougher to do so with a "suckdown" tunnel - compared to a "blowdown" facility.

Regarding the latter, most, but not all, of the largest ones rely on stored fluid (compressed air), typically pressurized using large turbomachinery. A valve is opened (and regulated) and the fluid (usually air) passes through a series of devices to "clean" and smooth it before it enters the test section. That "turbomachinery" could be reciprocating pumps (think greatly scaled-up shop compressor!) Whether than makes "sucking" a prerequisite or not? If any and every action of taking a fluid from a low to a high pressure means sucking must be involved then I guess I'd agree - although we tend to think of sucking device (in an engineering sense) being much more active than that; usually with a tapered / designed nozzle that maximizes the sucking ability - rather than a device where we simply want a wide open inlet. In any case, once the storage "bottles" are filled, the tunnel is essentially independent of and from the turbomachinery.

I guess the point is more debatable in the case of closed circuit "race track" type wind tunnels where the "fan" is directly in the flow loop. However in that case most everyone agrees that the flow is being blown, not sucked through, the test section. Why? Because in all such cases there is a an expanded section ("settling chamber") directly after the test section where the flow speed is greatly reduced before it then begins its trip back around. There is therefore essentially no sucking effect - it's all blow.

In any I think we can all agree that CHUCK SUCKS AND BLOWS!

:)

Jeff

My first major, at Iowa State, was in Aerospace Engineering. They had a supersonic wind tunnel, it ran off three large compressed-air tanks which took 3 days to pressurize, and ran for less than 15 seconds.

My first major, at Iowa State, was in Aerospace Engineering. They had a supersonic wind tunnel, it ran off three large compressed-air tanks which took 3 days to pressurize, and ran for less than 15 seconds.

Three days is a lot of preparation for a blow job.

I once got to visit a NASA super-vacuum chamber for testing large items being sent into space for feasibility.

It was amazing... they had 6 jet engines firing out outward radially with air being sucked down into the chamber from a big tube in the ceiling of the chamber. They would fire up the jets to maximum airflow then close the intake tube from the top and in about a second the chamber would be completely gas free for about 20 seconds then it would take several minutes before the jets stopped running and air would seep back in. It was amazing!

That is serious sucking!

Cmonster sucks more.

NASA has (in some case had) some stupendously phenomenal infrastructure - some of which I have had the huge pleasure of visiting. NASA Ames and the JPL were two such highlights. Regarding the latter, a colleague of mine's uncle (and engineer - who became a senior engineering manager) gave us a personal tour of the place. He had been involved in just about every project over a period of decades. Amazing stuff. Regarding the latter, they became (in)famous for extremely inefficient operations (mostly because of unions regs) to the point where their own engineers were telling us they'd rather come to our facilities (and pay for them) instead of testing in their own for free - because "free" in that case meant programs that took way too long to complete because they were limited in how much testing they could do per day. It was a real shame seeing such great facilities not being managed well at all - from the customer's perspective.

Beautiful speakers! And room! Congrats on your suckage.

How's the bass response?

I still need to get acoustic treatments up and the system calibrated. Seating just came in today so I really haven't done much listening in there yet. I'm not going to have a subwoofer, at least initially, but will instead just rely on Crowson tactile transducers. We'll see how it goes - first movie will definitely happen this weekend!

Seating is in! It's not as big as we were expecting which is a good thing.

CF259B36-A4FC-4675-B1C4-ED3EC311F77B_zpsowtz97nn.jpg

16EAFA32-A953-4B33-9995-9BF269439679_zpsti9c9igx.jpg

8698227E-2329-4992-97EB-27436D6712E6_zpsnbjhekmq.jpg

Back